• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: SK Telecom StarCraft II Proleague 2014 – Protoss Hard at Work

xS1oOFT.png

I CAME IN LIKE A WRECKING BYUL!

Hahaha

calder

I want to watch the VoDs from last night but I'm lazy and don't want to leave the living room. While the PS4 browser plays Twitch live streams great you need Flash to watch vods, which is annoying.

Doesn't the XBO have a native Twitch app? Does it play VoDs?

I want to watch the VoDs from last night but I'm lazy and don't want to leave the living room. While the PS4 browser plays Twitch live streams great you need Flash to watch vods, which is annoying.

Doesn't the XBO have a native Twitch app? Does it play VoDs?

Native PS4 Twitch app is on the way. Can't answer your flash question. Pick up Chromecast for $40?

Dunno if I want to stay up for todays matches. Maru is worth watching and so is Flash vs Sora. ..... Or I can just catch the VODs. I think I'll watch Jin Air and the beginning of KT vs CJ then go back to bed.

SamuraiX-

This is pretty cool. Apparently mOOnGLaDe will be coming on as a third member of the English casting crew for SPL.

f7czUiN.png

My guess is that it'll be for when Wolf has to start bouncing between GSTL (R.I.P. ;_;) and GSL.

From what I've heard from him at WCG last month, it sounds like he'll solidify a strong casting crew for this season. Such a far cry from the SNM/Whiplash debacle from last season.

This is pretty cool. Apparently mOOnGLaDe will be coming on as a third member of the English casting crew for SPL.

f7czUiN.png

My guess is that it'll be for when Wolf has to start bouncing between GSTL (R.I.P. ;_;) and GSL.

From what I've heard from him at WCG last month, it sounds like he'll solidify a strong casting crew for this season. Such a far cry from the SNM/Whiplash debacle from last season.

GSTL? Bro fOu is dead along with Soul. Only AxiomAcer, Azubu and Startale are left......

You can't have a good teamleague with only 3 teams, maybe if Acer did their own team and Axiom with theirs but even then its only 4. If fOu was alive then maybe.

Speaking of which, makes me sad that Seed, Leenock and the rest can't seem to find teams yet. Leenock on Prime? Could use another Zerg. Though TerrOR is actually pretty good.

Aaron

Man, it's sad for a team when their best player is Stork.

Protoss, you can cast forcefields that actively work against you and still come out okay in a fight.
Protoss can't lose early game or late game against terran. It's gotten just absurd.

Zen

Banned
So how do you subscribe to them? Can you only subscribe via twitch or can you subscribe on youtube?

Zen

Banned
You can sub to esportstv on YouTube for free.

That doesn't give you the vods, or does it? I just checked the youtube portal and previously they seemingly had the episodes there as one continuous chunks (the first round for instance was 3 and a half hours) now it seems like everything is broken up, and I can't see the latest broadcast even having subscribed on youtube.

Aaron

That doesn't give you the vods, or does it? I just checked the youtube portal and previously they seemingly had the episodes there as one continuous chunks (the first round for instance was 3 and a half hours) now it seems like everything is broken up, and I can't see the latest broadcast even having subscribed on youtube.
They don't post them immediately, but they will all eventually be up there.

Did Flash put up a good fight? I'm glad to see the rest of his team picking up the slack.
He should have won.
Just the protoss had a billion storms, and emps aren't worth shit anymore even though he had plenty of ghosts.

SamuraiX-

Just watched the VOD of Galaxy vs Jin Air... Wow.

I knew Solar was pretty decent, but damn. Obviously he got incredibly lucky in Set 1 vs sOs but that Ace set was pure dominance outside of that cute early timing by sOs that did some decent damage but never really hit Solar's economy... I still refuse to believe that sOs could legitimately fall to Solar so easily after making JD look like chump change. I think the preparation must've been non-existent for sOs. Probably got too cocky.

Stork vs Maru... Maru is probably the best at getting shit done with so few units. Didn't expect him to cancel the third of Stork and then he just won the game with those few Marauders that were left over.

Rogue looked like he was gonna throw away the game against Trend at any moment. His third and fourth base were just so incredibly late and he essentially did a 2-base Swarm Host build. Sick tactics with the Roaches and dat creep spread though. He probably would've lost against any other competent Protoss that would know to go for faster AoE.

eMotion really impressed me. His instincts and unorthodox play in PvP could really shake things up in a very good way in SPL. Might try to pick him up in FPL if Samsung Galaxy decides to play him more.

StayDead

They don't post them immediately, but they will all eventually be up there.

He should have won.
Just the protoss had a billion storms, and emps aren't worth shit anymore even though he had plenty of ghosts.

Storm should be good against bio. Like, no offense but Toss should beat Terran's stupid bio only army in the late game. Then again that's blizzards fault for making mech terrible since tanks are pretty good vs templars since they outrange storm, but terrible against everything else in the game.

SamuraiX-

KT vs CJ... Flash vs Sora was amazing. I never knew Sora was so good in the late game. Did a wonderful job keeping his HT safe and also hiding those HT that turned that entire final engagement around. Flash never saw it coming. Epic final confrontation.

Hydra, Bbyong and herO... good lord, if I've ever seen three guys in a row go full foreigner. Hydra trying to kill Stats after taking out the third instead of backing out, maxing, teching up and actually killing him was just painful to watch. I have no idea how Bbyong got so far behind on economy after getting 4 fast CCs threw away his army against Colossi instead of backing up and getting Vikings and maybe doing drops in the meantime. But herO... herO takes the cake, man. The worst Blink + DT all-in I think I've ever seen. Like, literally.

My FPL took a horrible hit after that last match. :(

Going to watch the VODs now. So sad that Flash lost his game while TY won his which really screwed me over. :(

Cannot believe Jin Air lost to Samsung, that must feel a bit shameful for sOs. Maru did his part but sOs didn't pick up the slack.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mini Flash > Flashu today

TY playin like the boss he is, swagger. He's finally a KT Terran and dad is with him.

Holy shit my fantasy team got killed last night. My sleep habit got screwed up and the only match I saw was the end of sOs and whoever he played in the final game.

SamuraiX-

Finally finished everything I wanted to do with the OP! :)

Added more info about casters, pictures of maps, links for FPL and made section headers prettier. :3

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions regarding additions/changes/removals!

Mini Flash > Flashu today

TY playin like the boss he is, swagger. He's finally a KT Terran and dad is with him.

herO lost that game more than TY won it. I can't remember the last Blink Stalker all-in I've seen that was botched that bad. It's like herO forgot how to StarCraft. My condolences to whoever used 7 points to put him on their main team.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
herO lost that game more than TY won it. I can't remember the last Blink Stalker all-in I've seen that was botched that bad.
Yeah his other bunkers should have been up sooner, but I loved his turret behind mineral line, SCVs are bottom bunker on auto repair, and the medivac boost ghost EMP drop.

Aaron

Storm should be good against bio. Like, no offense but Toss should beat Terran's stupid bio only army in the late game. Then again that's blizzards fault for making mech terrible since tanks are pretty good vs templars since they outrange storm, but terrible against everything else in the game.
Terran can use nothing else against protoss but bio. So you're saying that terran shouldn't be able to beat protoss late game. Tanks against an army with collossi and tempests? The terran has worse range and much slower since have to siege / unsiege. Doesn't help that terran's counter to collossi, vikings, are so damned slow, while blink and storm are so damned fast. EMP is supposed to be the counter to templar, but even though Flash got ghosts right on time and had plenty of them, the tiny blip of EMP was nothing compared to the massive explosion that is storm.

SamuraiX-

Yeah his other bunkers should have been up sooner, but I loved his turret behind mineral line, SCVs are bottom bunker on auto repair, and the medivac boost ghost EMP drop.

The sensor tower placement was cool and the Ghost EMP drop was definitely boss. I don't think I've ever seen a Terran player micro Ghosts like that.

Terran can use nothing else against protoss but bio. So you're saying that terran shouldn't be able to beat protoss late game. Tanks against an army with collossi and tempests? The terran has worse range and much slower since have to siege / unsiege. Doesn't help that terran's counter to collossi, vikings, are so damned slow, while blink and storm are so damned fast. EMP is supposed to be the counter to templar, but even though Flash got ghosts right on time and had plenty of them, the tiny blip of EMP was nothing compared to the massive explosion that is storm.

Normally I might agree with you but Sora did a fantastic job of using Tempests to keep Ghosts at bay and he was always keeping his HTs with or behind his army and never let any get picked off for free.

What really won Sora the game though was a brilliant tactical move that seemingly went completely unnoticed by the Korean observer and even by Wolf and Brendan. Sora only kept 3-4 HTs with his army at any given time but he had what must've been 8-10 spread out at near his 4th and 5th expansion as well as the other watch tower away from where the final engagement started. Flash overcommitted when he thought he picked off all the HTs and chased Sora's army to the other watch tower picking off Tempests and Colossi for free. This gave Sora the opportunity to gather the rest of his HT to his retreating army and also set up for a couple of flanking storms.

I don't think Flash even knew what hit him. Truly brilliant play from Sora. Very reminiscent of PartinG in his prime.

I'm really jealous of everyone who included him on their FPL because he is gonna be tearing it up this season. I included him in my initial picks but then I convinced myself that Creator and Dream will be more worth it. :(

I have to disagree Samurai. I just watched it and Flash had the advantage all game long after he got back even from the failed WM drop. He just clumped up too much and it was GG thanks to the storms.

Sora warped in those HTs right about when he was losing his first colossus. By the time they got to the middle of the map where the battle was, they had the 75 energy for storm.

Not to take away from Sora as he did play a good game. But he would have lost hands down if not for those storms which was stupid because it took out more supply than can be resupplied in time by Flash to deal with Protoss remax/colossus. Sora was being really timid and Flash did all the right moves. He just didn't engage thanks to the colossus number due to his viking numbers atm and then Sora added Tempests which were another headache on top of DTs.

We Terrans look for that perfect engage that lets us hit EMP on the HTs and maybe if we are lucky, the Colossus as well. Then we have to make sure the colossus count is below 4 before moving our Bio forward. Tempests made that even harder for Flash but he managed.

All that only to get stormed and end the game. It leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.

You know what protoss do when they get flanked by Ghosts? They eat the EMP and try to back off or just take the battle. They don't die as 4 EMPs would only damage the shields. Makes them easier to kill sure but its not like they die like Bio does to storm.

If they escape they can be back at full shield within 30 seconds for most units.

Heck HTs just merge into Archons if they get hit by EMP and doesn't get sniped.

Sad part is that even if EMP did damage, a Protoss can warpin about 20+ supply worth of replacement units if they have money and gateways.

I'm not happy at all about the Flash and Sora match end result because it is an example of everything wrong in lategame TvP.

But enough lamenting about that shit.

IM vs MVP. Lets see if MVP can claw themselves out of last place tonight or IM sinks them even lower.

Prime vs SKT1 will be a fun one and I would just love it if there was an upset.

Aaron

Sniper returns to living up to his name. Sniping all that tech was just brutal.

How the hell did a Protoss get destroyed when he quickly got up to 3 bases for basically free?
Bad scouting and launching an attack with all the wrong units, and then come the mutas.

SamuraiX-

cmsWZZh.png

I have to disagree Samurai. I just watched it and Flash had the advantage all game long after he got back even from the failed WM drop. He just clumped up too much and it was GG thanks to the storms.

Disagree. I would say Sora took a pretty convincing advantage when he killed like 20 of Flash's SCVs with DTs. Flash might have evened it out when he took out Sora's 3rd and 4th but he never did anything beyond that to capitalize. Not to mention he seemed to think it wasn't necessary to replenish any of his lost SCVs.

Sora warped in those HTs right about when he was losing his first colossus. By the time they got to the middle of the map where the battle was, they had the 75 energy for storm.

Sora had 9 HTs at the 21:00 mark but he only kept 3-4 with his main army. The rest were strategically positioned across his side of the map. The four that he warped in before the engagement just added to that ridiculous count.

Flash was actually dodging most of the storms really well. Supply counts were actually even just before Sora hit him hard with those flanking storms thanks to his great positional spread of HTs.

Aaron

Disagree. I would say Sora took a pretty convincing advantage when he killed like 20 of Flash's SCVs with DTs. Flash might have evened it out when he took out Sora's 3rd and 4th but he never did anything beyond that to capitalize. Not to mention he seemed to think it wasn't necessary to replenish any of his lost SCVs.
Flash couldn't. Sora already had a substantial army at this point. Flash had to focus on units and upgrades, knowing he was one big push away from death. He launched some sneak attacks, but those were less effective as the game went on because of Sora's unit coverage. The problem was terran has no insane damage units like the collossi, tempests, high templars... he had to crank out bio units knowing he was bound to lose some of them, so needed that perfect engagement. Except the map with its various levels is perfect for collossi and air units. And not slow as fuck vikings either. Once they passed mid-game, Flash was screwed. Protoss has too much power, and there was nothing he could make to counteract it.

Maru won his match because he understands the only way to beat protoss currently is to step on their neck to keep them from growing too fast, and murder them in the mid-game. Terran can't win against them in the late game period unless the protoss messes up. You can't beat them in the early game either with all their defensive abilities either.

kasane

Blizzard pla fix terran in LoV. Your shitty design made them obsolete against people who understands how to deal with them.

SamuraiX-

Well, that was painful. The killing fields of Oracles slaughtering Marines.

Now for the match of the night! Dream vs ByuL! :D

GwHpD9s.png

rofl

cmsWZZh.png

Sora had 9 HTs at the 21:00 mark but he only kept 3-4 with his main army. The rest were strategically positioned across his side of the map. The four that he warped in before the engagement just added to that ridiculous count.

Flash was actually dodging most of the storms really well. Supply counts were actually even just before Sora hit him hard with those flanking storms thanks to his great positional spread of HTs.

He couldn't capitalize is the major problem thanks to the composition. Also by then he had 3 mules every 20 seconds so he needed the bigger army for the engages.

Holy shit 9 HT?!? Flash had 11 Ghosts near the end and then another 4 or so that died mid battle so 15 Ghosts that didn't end up doing much except maybe 3 EMPs hits on Zealots. Overall the match was not one Sora should have won except he did thanks to storm. If Sora was flanked, the match would have gone on is the biggest problem I have with the matchup atm. TY got really lucky that herO just played so dumb last night in their match and got the worst storms possible.

But right now I'm very angry at toss so ignore my bitching Samurai. Its really unfun being a Terran player/fan in the current meta game. All the BS we had to deal with from toss MSC for the past few months have been adding up and the Oracle has become the tipping point. Blink was the biggest threat, now Oracles add such a huge threat makes the match too defensive focused and pigeonholed unless you cheese.

Anyways Keen was dead after the Oracle hit and his economy was killed. The toss was just dragging it out and playing with his food. It was gross to watch.

At least Sniper took out Squirtle which is a good feeling to see a Toss lose.

Dream vs Byul, should be a lot of fun!

Byul's unit production is so good. Roaches show up just when his hydras need them.

Man I feel bad for Samurai and all the others that chose Dream. Like you see Roach and Hydra and don't get Tanks... Also no WM burrow speed when using them for drops. Dream deserved the loss.

He held on but lost too much. He either needed 16 Marauders, 25 marines and about 10 medivacs to win a straight up fight against Roach Hydra or get tanks any sane Terran would do so.

Aaron

I have Dream on my team. I needed another terran and Flash was too expensive. I forgot just how good Byul is.

I have Dream on my team. I needed another terran and Flash was too expensive. I forgot just how good Byul is.

My only regret so far is TY on my Anti and Eins since I didn't get any points for him.

Other than that its been pretty good.

Edit: Go PRIME! Splendid show off your power! You also need to make sure classic doesn't give me anti points!

Aww -2 points for me! :(

Splendid did well for his first match. Too bad about the drop and harass killing him. Next time for sure.

GO KAL!

OMG WOW KAL! New favorite Protoss besides Creator.

Bad zealot control and needs to work on his control a bit but other than that its been amazing!

Go Creator Prime.

Whoa close game. Rain set the trap and Creator fell for it sadly. Too bad because if he waited after taking out the 3rd and getting his own then he would have done better. Not to mention getting at least 2-3 Immortals.

Go TerrOR! The littlest Prime that could!

That game was absolutely brilliant. If all PvP's were like that it would be an amazing matchup. That engagement from rain is one of the best i've seen as well. The huge concave, the zealot drop off and warpin, picking up the immortals to change and just good unit positioning. Beautiful to watch.

Top Bottom