• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I sold my Series X and went back to my One X Scorpio

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Maybe you should celebrate this feat of yours by doing a play through of Cyberpunk, no difference my ass.

Just out of the situation that basically Halo was one of the last games also supported on X1X, this seems like a strange choice.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Christ, don't make this thread about MS vs Sony games please.

People calling him a dumbass, special ed etc because he is happy with lower res or fps are the same people who say they are happy with Series S when it has lower settings, fps, resolution, no raytracing, etc, go figure.

The person is fine with the One X for now. He's just not that into flight sim. If later there are games he's interested in he can buy it for the same amount. He's lost nothing, made someone happy and is happy himself not owning one for now.
:pie_thinking: one of those consoles will be getting Starfield, Fable, Perfect Dark, TES 6, Forza Motorsport etc, and one won’t.

Tschumi

This thread is mana from heaven ^_^ you gotta love people who follow their own nose and aren't afraid to opine...

I love what you've done. And i agree with your logic. I only prefer ps5 to ps4 pro because of the exclusive games, but series consoles don't really do that so much it seems

Ozriel

M$FT
Christ, don't make this thread about MS vs Sony games please.

People calling him a dumbass, special ed etc because he is happy with lower res or fps are the same people who say they are happy with Series S when it has lower settings, fps, resolution, no raytracing, etc, go figure.

I’d never support anyone calling him ‘Special Ed’ or whatever. That’s unfortunate.

Your Series S analogy doesn’t make sense since - thanks to the same CPU - the XSS doesn’t really feel any more sluggish than the XSX, it loads just as fast and has a 60fps mode in most of the games it shares with the Series X.

For such a small TV and the distance he sits from it, it would actually make more sense going from a series x to a series s, not the last gen One X.

The person is fine with the One X for now. He's just not that into flight sim. If later there are games he's interested in he can buy it for the same amount. He's lost nothing, made someone happy and is happy himself not owning one for now.

I don’t think you get it. It’s not about exclusives or next gen only games. It’s the fact that every game - including third party games - should look, feel and play better on next gen. So it’s as much about Elden Ring, about Apex Legends (with the new patch) etc.

It’s a personal choice, I agree, though I question the wisdom. Especially when he’s sold the XSX at MSRP and the One X will keep reducing in resale value.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Exactly, Will be getting. Bunch of games with no official release dates. If he sees he's interested in the future he can buy the console again. It's not a big deal.
It’s just poorly thought out in terms of long term planning - you’re right that he has every right to do it and no one has been hurt by it but likewise he’s sharing this on GAF so I’m welcome to say that I think it’s a fucking dumb decision.

PeteBull

The reason is simple. For me the differences are too small, games that are optimised for Series X only have Raytracing or higher FPS.
All games I play are already One X optimised and to be honest I cant tell the difference between the 2.

I sit a good 9 feet from a 46 inch OLED and other than the apparant Raytracing, there is no upgrade for me.
U forgot about 4x cpu power difference between those consoles, remember ur trusty scorpio got this under its hood https://64.media.tumblr.com/97b5bbd3a4914cd910953f6c7e17ef64/tumblr_pntguvG9lJ1vb46leo1_400.gifv

Which means games that will run stable 60fps on xsx will only have 30fps modes, often with dips on xbox one x, and sooner or later, when crossgen period is over so 2023-2024 max, there will come games that run only in 30fps on xsx, and 0 fps(coz no ports) on xox.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
From my personal standpoint, the Series X has no significant boost from the One X.

I guess as time progresses, we'll see Series S/X only games, which will blow the older Gen out of the water.
But for now. I'm happy with the One X and the boy who bought my Series X is VERY happy with it.

I never managed to get my hands on a next gen (XSS/X or PS5) console but I'm kinda in the same boat. I ended up getting a Switch OLED instead and I'm honestly more than happy with what I can play on it (aside from Pokemon Arceus, I will absolutely give them my money because they need sort out those god awful visuals). There's been very little in the way of "wooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" moments during this new gen so far. Sure Ratchet and Clank PS5 looks fantastic but really Ratchet and Clank on PS4 already looked really good (a massive step up from PS3). Horizon looks good but after seeing stuff like TLoU2 and RDR2 running old-gen consoles, I just struggle to look at new games and think "wow looks like a grand old time I better upgrade!".

It may also be because I'm getting older. I'm really envious of people my age (30s) who can get excited generation after generation.

I think people saying "come on dude it's like 3003290320320382908329 times more powerful" are totally missing the point. The experiences currently available on the new consoles simply do not live up to the hardware upgrade involved. I guess we should've seen it coming given that this is the first generation where they (game developers/publishers) can (relatively) easily put games on the last-gen systems. Sure there are details I'm missing but it's probably not the same as trying to downport a PS4 game (x86) to the PS3 (mystical cell processor).

Last edited:

playXray

There is some really odd stuff here. Load times for a 1X SSD are nowhere near XSX, there is no way you can’t notice that. Plus the doubled frame rate you get in BC stuff, and general improvements to resolution/frame rate. Either you are trolling or you see things very differently to most gamers.

AGRacing

As the title says..

After some pondering I decided to sell my Series X while I can still get my money back 100%

The reason is simple. For me the differences are too small, games that are optimised for Series X only have Raytracing or higher FPS.
All games I play are already One X optimised and to be honest I cant tell the difference between the 2.

I sit a good 9 feet from a 46 inch OLED and other than the apparant Raytracing, there is no upgrade for me.

My One X has an SSD, so loadtimes aren't something I personally see as a big + for de series X.

From my personal standpoint, the Series X has no significant boost from the One X.

I guess as time progresses, we'll see Series S/X only games, which will blow the older Gen out of the water.
But for now. I'm happy with the One X and the boy who bought my Series X is VERY happy with it.

I sold it for 500 backs after using it for 3 months.

Anyone here that did the same or is contemplating on doing so?

You'll be back. Should have sold the One X. A year ago.

Three

I don’t think you get it. It’s not about exclusives or next gen only games. It’s the fact that every game - including third party games - should look, feel and play better on next gen. So it’s as much about Elden Ring, about Apex Legends (with the new patch) etc.

It’s a personal choice, I agree, though I question the wisdom. Especially when he’s sold the XSX at MSRP and the One X will keep reducing in resale value.

Oh I get it. I know games will play better on next gen, just as all games will play better on PS5/X compared to Series S. Here's the thing though, some people don't care about that stuff at all and I found it funny that the people who are being intolerant of that here are the same people who don't care when it comes to Series S.

He doesn't mention he sold it at MSRP. Just that he got 100% of his money back. I guess he didn't mention how much from fear of being called a dirty scalper or it might be family/friends. Who knows, who cares?

Topher

Gold Member
s as time progresses, we'll see Series S/X only games, which will blow the older Gen out of the water.

I'd keep the better system regardless but knowing the older system is going to become increasingly limited in new games makes this move very questionable. I think you'll regret it.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Microsoft won't be releasing any more games for Xbox One, so enjoy your short happiness while you can.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Well, that was dumb

Your points are way off base too. Maybe you accidentally bought a Xbox One X because there is a HUGE difference.

Blood Borne

I wonder why everyone is being perplexed.
Perfect and reasonable decision by OP.

For him, XSX isn’t a necessity now due to its games being playable on XOX albeit at a lower FPS/Res. Therefore, better to sell it now and make some profit and get it later at a cheaper price when XSX is fully matured and it has games that cannot be played on XOX.

Very reasonable decision.

No offence to the original poster but selling your Xbox Series X for an Xbox One X is a really daft thing to do in my opinion even if the majority of games are not fully taking advantage of the new hardware just yet.

I bought an Xbox Series X in mid-December as an upgrade to my Xbox One X Project Scorpio edition and I could not be happier at the decision. All the old games look and run better on the new system with faster loading times and many games have enhancements over the game on Xbox One X, usually in the form of 60 or 120 fps framerates. 60 fps is transformative for me so it is hard to go back to 30 fps once you've enjoyed it for most games on the Xbox Series X and PS5. Take Kingdom Hearts III for example... it runs at 1440p on Xbox One X (and obviously the Series X) but it cannot hold a steady 60 fps on the older console and its 30 fps mode has truly abysmal framepacing issues so it is not a great experience on the previous gen machine in my experience. On the Series X it is a locked 60 fps so it feels soooooooooo much better to play; it's literally a joy whereas on the Xbox One X it wasn't (even with VRR enabled it still felt stuttery, possibly because it isn't working in that game?).

That's just one example but there are numerous other games that are either stuck at 30 fps on the Xbox One X or don't quite manage a locked 60 fps on the Xbox Series X so feel stuttery. Just having properly working VRR, i.e. not having screen-tearing in Ubisoft games like Assassin's Creed: Valhalla and Far Cry 6 at 60 fps is also a massive benefit. Other than the design of the Xbox One X, which is a more beautifully-made and solid piece of kit than the Series X, I cannot think of any reason to go back to it once you've upgraded to an Xbox Series X. Current gen is simply more future-proof and if you have it why would you want to go back to a last-gen system? It quite frankly baffles me.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The series X is pointless right now for the vast majority of gamers I cancelled my Series X pre-order after thinking about it

I have an Xbox One X in the living room (OG XBOX/X360/XBONE AND XCLOUD for the future)

One X has the same BC improvements and you can play off of an SSD as well the differences are almost nothing at this point esp since cross-gen is going on so long and even when that ends you have XCLOUD

I do have Series S hooked up to a CRT in my bedroom but that is a retroarch box without retroarch support I wouldn't have bothered with it

I know for a fact a ton of people have giving into "next-gen" (is it really tho?) hype and have PS5's and SERIES X's collecting dust right now

The Xbox One X is the system that makes the most sense for right now and by the time next gen is really in full swing pro models will be out I see no reason to bother with it

Last edited:

FritzJ92

Of all the reasons that this move was dumb, the dumbest of them all is that MS isn’t releasing anymore 1P exclusives on last gen. This would’ve made sense a year ago, but right now we’re heading into next gen only exclusives for SX.

Deerock71

bold GIF

Lognor

Banned
I sold my ps5 for almost 3 times the cost so I can see the logic, that said the One X are selling on eBay for high amount too. Seems like a dumb move.
Agreed. I sold a few ps5s and I would never keep one. Too much profit to be made abs since there are only a couple of ps5 only games what's the point? I'd rather just buy a ps4 for $100 and play them there. Or better yet, just wait for the pc releases. Would never sell my sell my series x though. I enjoy it too much

Zeroing

Banned
Agreed. I sold a few ps5s and I would never keep one. Too much profit to be made abs since there are only a couple of ps5 only games what's the point? I'd rather just buy a ps4 for $100 and play them there. Or better yet, just wait for the pc releases. Would never sell my sell my series x though. I enjoy it too much
it seems you enjoy more selling PS5s than playing on Xbox series x

Just saying ;)

Fbh

Now sell it and get an Xbox One S.
You'll end up with money and since the difference is only frame rate and resolution, games will be identical to you !

Last edited:

NahaNago

Seems a bit odd but I'm guessing since most of the games will look similar to you it won't matter for a couple of years since I expect crossgen to be a thing for probably 2 more years.

Kacho

I played Diablo 2 on my One X and Series X, the difference was night and day in terms of image quality, performance and load speeds. Also One X support is going to dry up very soon so I can’t help but feel like you made an awful choice.

Spread those wings tho mang. Don’t let nobody stop you.

Kydd BlaZe

I’ve still got my One X in the living room where I play couch co op with my GF (might switch it out for a Series S someday), and my Series X is in the man cave…the difference is night and day. Going back to 30 fps is jarring after playing games at 60 and 120 fps, along with much higher resolutions.

OP is wild for this 🤣

Factual? I don’t think you understand the difference between factual and subjective.

Ori and the Blind Forest and Ori and the Will of the Wisps are Nintendo first party quality.

Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon have been pumping Gran Turismo for years.

Nintendo, where to begin? Smash Ultimate, Splatoon 2, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Metroid Dread & Bowser’s Fury.

Monster Hunter Rise, Capcom’s Resident Evil and Monster Hunter series basically.

Literally any From Software game from Demon’s Souls onwards is ‘better’ than any Sony first party game in the same time period.

There’s so many that it’s probably easier for me to just to post the top rated games of 2021 for you to browse, I think there’s like 1 Sony first party game in the top 30, and it’s Ratchet at 29. Enjoy;

Now please post your rebuttal post-haste lest I brand thee a coward.
Nice cherry picking for The Year of Covid and Delays.... lol All previous years in the last gen always have PS games in Top 10.

Beechos

The loading times for the next gen systems for me is worth the price of admission. I personally wouldve sold the scorpio since those are currently fetching way above value. I think gamestop was/is still offering about 350 for it along with the ps4pro.

Last edited:
Top Bottom