• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... PS5 will have the best looking games next gen for the first year(s)

Vick

I mean if you take into consideration the poor animations uc3 has, it doesn't need to render as much between frame times. When you suddenly teleport Nathan to the enemy NPC, and have a jerky animation, of course you can reduce input latency.

When Unchrted 3 lauched it had some of the best animations on any third person game, while maintaining a higher responsiveness. Threads are still here on Gaf for you to check out, people were impressed with them.
Also the game came out 10 years ago and still look better than a shameful amount of current gen games. Outside of animations, it made extensive use of global illumination, HDR, volumetric lighting, used an ambient occlusion with less artifacts than SSAO on some current gen games, water was more dynamic than any game i’ve played this generation (only Watch Dogs excluded) and had actual reflections with no visible artifacts (unlike most games on PS4, exclusives included), had clothing simulations, had the very highest resolution textures on the system, made extensive use of an insanely high quality POM, high quality DOF, lots of samples for it’s per object and camera motion blur, had the best sand simulation on any game on any platform to this day (with grains of sand falling into Drake’s footsteps!), had the most mindblowing levels i’ll probably ever experience in a game like the burning chateau, sinking ship and falling plane, and still felt fluid and run at a stable framerate. Sure, MLAA, texture filtering and shadows haven’t aged too well, but that game was MENTAL technically. To be as impressed as i was with that game on a 500MB Ram system, i’d probably have to play Avatar in real time on current gen. Maybe if PS4 went with Cell processor again, costed 600€ and ND team stayed the same.. who knows.

adam-littledale-forest.jpg

hold-fight-start.png

underwater.png

stariwell-door-spray-start.png

stairwell-door-spray.png

stairwell-burst-1.png

hallway-vent.png

cabin-climb-end.png

tate-mosesian-uncharted3-chapter18-the-rub-al-khali-01.jpg

tate-mosesian-uncharted3-chapter18-the-rub-al-khali-06.jpg

tate-mosesian-uncharted3-chapter18-the-rub-al-khali-04.jpg

tate-mosesian-uncharted3-chapter18-the-rub-al-khali-02.jpg

tate-mosesian-uncharted3-chapter19-the-settlement-01.jpg

Gears of war had better consistency with going in and out of cover for instance, and shooting between cover. (regarding your post in the other thread.)
I agree, shooting in Gears always felt spot on, and that reloading mechanic is still so satisfying. But on the other hand, with Uncharted you feel you’re controlling a human with bones and muscles, with Gears you’re controlling a tank. And mind you, i don’t dislike that feeling at all, i still love replaying RE4 like no other game, but it is a completely different feel.

Also, I'm pretty sure you are comparing console to console release of the games you have compared.
RDR2 version 1.01 on Xbox One X, before they downgraded the AO, reduced light sources and who knows what else, looked more pleasing to me than current PC version vanilla. But i know this is very subjective since i personally love aggressives AO ala Uncharted 2 (PS3 cell rendered version of the AO) and RDR2 1.01. and have a preference for slightly less raw image quality on this game (4k output of PC version looks different than the native 4K output of One X). But on PC you can mod and go for 60fps, so i recognize that’s the better version.

I'm pretty sure RDR2 has lower input lag than the games you mentioned,
In terms of input lag/responsiveness in third person games, RDR2 is the worst controlling game i played on PS4 (but still don’t have many issues with it). Uncharted 4 is at the opposite end of the spectrum on this matter, and i’m not talking about the 60fps multiplayer.

Have I played uncharted games, you bet your ass I have. It wasn't until bloodborne when i sold my ps4 and extensively played on PC. I've played other titles at a friend's spot afterwards. The sub 30fps games killed my drive to keep playing these games. Why sacrifice fidelity and framerate, when you can have both?
Well, since 2013 everytime i played games outside of my house i’m always stunned by how awful games can feel and look on uncalibrated LCD’s. Anything that isn’t a plasma or crt will introduce motion blur and increase input lag no matter what, while also looking worse (OLED excluded). So there’s that.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Visually speaking this generation has driven home that the biggest factors are talent, budget, time(and baseline of course).

For example if I boot Resident Evil 2 on my PC, it has all these graphical options that even show you how much VRAM they will use, and it even has images that show the differences when you toggle them. It's really cool. Gears of War 5 is another one that does that really well, allowing you to preview the differences in settings. Great stuff.

My point is, using the PS4 version of Resident Evil 2 as a baseline and then toggling extra effects on the PC will really hammer home how diminishing returns work. I'm toggling all those graphics options but even though each one gets more VRAM and GPU expensive than the next, the way it's affecting overall visuals is pretty silly considering how much GPU and CPU I'm throwing at it.

In Gears of War 5 something similar happens. You crank it all up to ULTRA and insane, yet it looks like the same game you're playing on Xbox One, just with more fidelity and a higher frame-rate that is really the big differentiator.

These are just two examples but it's pretty obvious how in both cases, the "base" hardware sets a baseline that limits how good you can make it look, visually speaking.

It's why Assassins Creed Black Flag looked like an up res PS3 game on PS4, but Assassins Creed Unity looked proper gen. The baseline allowed Killzone Shadow Fall and Infamous Second Son look proper next gen, instead of looking like up res Killzone 3 and Infamous 2 respectively.

Just look at the remasters of Uncharted/TLOU, which are what PC versions of those games would've looked, and then compare to Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us 2.

You still think it doesn't matter how low the baseline is? Really? Yikes

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Uncompressed actual footage of rdr2 still looks better though. You may like the art style in that game better, which is perfectly fine, but RDR2 is still technically better. I have plenty of shots in a previous post of mine.

It's like to bathe a cat with him. You prove him wrong, and he'll move the goal posts. Just look at our conversation so far, or previous posts. If it's not praising a Sony game, you might as well quit while ahead.

Aight I'm going to bed now.
no i still prefer rdr2 😆 , i was just saying that days gone is an half miracle coming from a relatively small studio at their first home console game with the unreal engine 4 and their ground texture are pretty great.

oldergamer

1. That's a design decision. PS4 can do any aniso. Developers think that the diff in quality is not worth it.
2. That's output resolution, it doesn't mean anything at all. As I've already said: give me one PC game that looks like Avatar movie in 720p.
3. That's also a design decision, the qulity improvement doesn't match the perf drop.
4. Same as 2. just a brute force for nothing.

5. Not clear what "physics" is meant here.
6. Brute force again, fortunately there are better tools to make photogrammetry now. It will improve all the time. Was too costly($) to use.
7. Again brute force for no reason.

So when PS4 1st party titles can't compete with other platforms ( even running the same games) while making use out of visual effects, increased resolution & framerate, or just flat out graphical features, you say its "a design decision" or its "brute force for no reason"? But if you claim sony first party games look better than any others, you don't use similar logic so you can "claim" that the sony made games are superior?

That is pure fanboyism. You're looking at SONY games in a different an sometimes unreasonable vaccum while ignoring all other games out there.

oldergamer

no i still prefer rdr2 😆 , i was just saying that days gone is an half miracle coming from a relatively small studio at their first home console game with the unreal engine 4 and their ground texture are pretty great.
I find it funny how we have people arguing that unreal is crap or not well suited to open world games, and then at the same time we have people posting pictures of Days Gone on PS4 as a graphical show case on why PS4 games look better then other platforms, despite the fact it is MADE with the Unreal engine and would look identical or better on Xbox one X or PC.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I find it funny how we have people arguing that unreal is crap or not well suited to open world games, and then at the same time we have people posting pictures of Days Gone on PS4 as a graphical show case on why PS4 games look better then other platforms, despite the fact it is MADE with the Unreal engine and would look identical or better on Xbox one X or PC.
days gone has to come on pc, that game at 60 frame in 4k is gonna be a fucking looker.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Simply taking the first comparison found on YouTube, check this out. This is comparing console to console footage of the game. (Not taking into consideration of the graphical features enabled, framerate, or even the resolution of the pc version)

Why is there a smoke effect on the water where the player is? Looks very odd

Thirty7ven

Banned

And it shows. Texture LOD, freezes, massive loading time. I would say most of the technical problems it has is due to U4. Wish they had gone with Decima but I’m sure Sony wanted at least one of its studios getting hands on experience with Unreal.

martino

And it shows. Texture LOD, freezes, massive loading time. I would say most of the technical problems it has is due to U4. Wish they had gone with Decima but I’m sure Sony wanted at least one of its studios getting hands on experience with Unreal.

Or it is because it's small studio and popin/loading bugs can happen in decima too.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Or it is because it's small studio and popin/loading bugs can happen in decima too.

The difference is that those issues, along with framerate, are pretty persistent in Days Gone.

I don’t know of other open world games in Unreal 4, so It might be because of the studio behind it sure. Gears of War 5 though has an “open” map midway through yet it divides it with gates and whatnot, along with being pretty lifeless and barren, which IMO was a limitation of the tech because when the “levels” are smaller they are packed with stuff.

oldergamer

This is BS. Sme here are holding playstation to a standard that it doesn't even achieve. Texture pop-in on the current gen systems is normal for both PS4 and Xbox. It doesn't matter if its a custom engine or unreal! All you can od is try to hide it as best as possible, and that is up to the development team working on the game.

martino

I don’t know of other open world games in Unreal 4, so It might be because of the studio behind it sure. Gears of War 5 though has an “open” map midway through yet it divides it with gates and whatnot, along with being pretty lifeless and barren, which IMO was a limitation of the tech because when the “levels” are smaller they are packed with stuff.

i don't think being seamless open world was a design objective for gears 5 regardless of the tech.
you look at it the wrong way imo.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
i don't think being seamless open world was a design objective for gears 5 regardless of the tech.
you look at it the wrong way imo.

It has an open world section in the game and it tries to be seamless so I don’t see how that wasn’t a design objective. It absolutely was, otherwise they wouldn’t have done it.

martino

It has an open world section in the game and it tries to be seamless so I don’t see how that wasn’t a design objective. It absolutely was, otherwise they wouldn’t have done it.

let's do it a way you can understand :
god of engine engine is crap because they can't achieve open world they have section for loading etc...
prepare your defense ....apply it too to gears 5.

Thirty7ven

Banned
let's do it a way you can understand :
god of engine engine is crap because they can't achieve open world they have section for loading etc...
prepare your defense ....apply it too to gears 5.

I didn’t say U4 was crap, I think it’s brilliant.

God of War Engine clearly isn’t meant for open world either, which is why even when it pretends to be open world, it’s just wider corridors interconnected.

So yes I do apply it to God of War too. Absolutely. A way in which I can understand? Think you’re trying to twist things...

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I definitely agree that Sony will have the best looking games early on until MS fully move over to SeX exclusives.

I think Sony will go big at their reveal and show trailers to Horizon 2, GoW 2 and Spider-Man 2. All three will look absolutely outrageous. A bit early for ND to show anything and the other studios (Bend, Sucker Punch and MM) have just / are about to ship games.

martino

I didn’t say U4 was crap, I think it’s brilliant.

God of War Engine clearly isn’t meant for open world either, which is why even when it pretends to be open world, it’s just wider corridors interconnected.

So yes I do apply it to God of War too. Absolutely. A way in which I can understand? Think you’re trying to twist things...

unreal engine has demo to show it's possible.
Also is days gone 1.61 the same it was at 1.0 on those front ?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
You can disagree, but from an objective standpoint, none of the games you mentioned are as impressive, whether from a visual or technical standpoint, than the games mentioned outside of your Sony selection. It's perfectly fine to have your preferences, but to say no other games can hold a candle to those, are disingenuous at best.

By the way, you haven't gotten back to me on the pc screenshot thread. Pick your favorite picture from that thread and compare it to your favorite Sony game. Tell us why xxx game looks better. You keep on with this notion that Sony games look at the best and nothing can compare to them. So you got the spotlight to prove myself and others wrong. I'll have the popcorn waiting.
Those games are multiplats that look good on every console lol PC has bells and whistles sure but no AAA exclusives on the level of Uncharted 4, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, Spider-man, Days Gone with the exception of Star Citizen

Those games are multiplats that look good on every console lol PC has bells and whistles sure but no AAA exclusives on the level of Uncharted 4, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, Spider-man, Days Gone with the exception of Star Citizen
Why does a game need to be exclusive to look better? RDR2 looks and plays better, and it's a multiplatform. I'm not sure why you keep jumping from one topic to the next. Let's stick with RDR2 for now, since it was brought up. I'd love to see your hand picked screens and explanation as to why, such and such game is superior to the multiplatform game we're talking about. Help me understand your perspective by showing it to me.

diffusionx

Gold Member
You can throw all of the PC numbers and features you want but those games aren't exclusive to PC and resolution won't make most games look better than the PS4 games I listed

So do the games look good because they’re on a PS4, or because the games themselves do a bunch of stuff that make them look good?

Nobody seriously believes the PS4 has magic sauce that makes it do things impossible on other platforms, so it has to be the latter.

However, the things those games do that make them look good, are not proprietary to PS4, any game can do them, and many other games do them. Some people listed some of those games in this thread, you chose to ignore them. For the Nth time, games like AC Odyssey, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Red Dead 2, and Jedi Fallen Order are some of the best looking games this gen.

And while the PS4 can’t do anything other platforms cannot technically, the PC, though, can objectively do things that the PS4 cannot, that make games look better, and many many games actually do those things. Horizon Zero Dawn is going to launch on PC soon, it will run at a higher resolution, better frame rate, higher LOD, etc.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
1. That's a design decision. PS4 can do any aniso. Developers think that the diff in quality is not worth it.

And yet, it'll be in the PS5 as default.

2. That's output resolution, it doesn't mean anything at all. As I've already said: give me one PC game that looks like Avatar movie in 720p.

Do you seriously think that resolution doesn't matter? First of all, it gives a better approximation to the rendering equation. Secondly, whatever the output resolution is most likely mimics the target buffers within the GPU. That means better approximation.

3. That's also a design decision, the qulity improvement doesn't match the perf drop.

Yes it does. That's your opinion. Also, a design decision? Why would the PS5/XSX tout supporting it if it's improvement doesn't match the perf drop?

4. Same as 2. just a brute force for nothing.
5. Not clear what "physics" is meant here.
6. Brute force again, fortunately there are better tools to make photogrammetry now. It will improve all the time. Was too costly($) to use.
7. Again brute force for no reason.

Brute force is the only way to go going forward. Your old days of DOOM are over. Both consoles are essentially PCs and people don't want to make closed code that only works for one platform. That's not how money is made.

The best looking game on pc is probably rdr2,

I disagree. It looks great on PC but best looking game on the whole platform? I mean, it’s subjective, but in my opinion there are plenty of games that could be argued for. Some require a mod or extra texture pack to reach their potential, but still.

and that looks about as good as the ps4 version, minus the image quality issues.

So it looks about as good as PS4, except for PS4 version’s problems with looking good? This doesn’t make sense.

EDIT: Also, if you say that the PC version looks about as good as the PS4 version, are you saying the One X version looks better than the PC version?

I played RDR2 on Pro when it launched and then on my PC at 1440p with mostly high settings, couple ultra settings, couple medium settings, and PC version is far sharper than on my Pro. Night and day difference.

My PC costs a lot more than a Pro, admittedly, but if it looks the same on your PC as it does on your PS4, you might be doing something wrong.

Also, if RDR2 at PS4 level settings is the best looking game you’ve played on PC you might need to expand your horizons a little, I think you’re missing out.

There are games that look phenomenal on PC and never get mentioned in graphics conversations:

FF 15 maxed out with the 4k texture pack and a little bit of sharpening to cut through TAA Blur is gorgeous

Modern Warfare maxed out looks phenomenal

Control maxed out with RTX looks great

Far Cry 5 maxed out with 4k texture pack and a little sharpening looks INCREDIBLE

Hell an older game like Dishonored 2 maxed out looks FANTASTIC on pc

Witcher 3 with some mods blows the consoles versions away

Just Cause 4 on PC is a huge leap over the console version with image clarity alone.

Doom Eternal maxed out, etc etc

I don't even know how we reached this point of the conversation, went from talking XsX vs PS5 graphics, to best looking games on PS4, to PC vs PS4, but whatever, this is my two cents

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Please stop with these photomode screenshots. Sheesh! Take the screenshots while in gameplay - PLEASE!!! You can't compare photomode to the actual gameplay. You don't get that kind of fidelity when moving your character around.
Here's a gameplay capture that shows how realistic the character models are in Days Gone
PCjkWOK.jpg

diffusionx

Gold Member
There are games that look phenomenal on PC and never get mentioned in graphics conversations:

FF 15 maxed out with the 4k texture pack and a little bit of sharpening to cut through TAA Blur is gorgeous

Modern Warfare maxed out looks phenomenal

Control maxed out with RTX looks great

Far Cry 5 maxed out with 4k texture pack and a little sharpening looks INCREDIBLE

Hell an older game like Dishonored 2 maxed out looks FANTASTIC on pc

Witcher 3 with some mods blows the consoles versions away

Just Cause 4 on PC is a huge leap over the console version with image clarity alone.

i think this is one of the problems with the multi platform world we now live in. FF15 had some real technical issues on console, and generally isn’t thought of as one of the best looking games. But when you see it as it is meant to be, it really is a stunning game.

i keep bringing Shadow of the Tomb Raider up, I was shocked at how amazing that game looked on my computer, I mean really mind blowing, it’s just incredible, but I have a feeling it looks like nothing special on console so nobody really thinks of it the way they should. I played Rise on the One and it looked good, but Shadow at high-ultra really looks like something else entirely. But it’s not something console users would see...

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Why do high end PC's always get dragged down to these discussions?

Imagine a Ferrari owner going into a topic about cars a third of the price and talk shit?

Congrats, your 1500$ PC can make games look better than a 399$ console. Amazing man, fucking amazing, just wow. mindblowing, what a feat, brilliant, unexpected. Where do I sign? This is flat track bully speak.

Last time a game came out and was actually made with high end pcs in mind was in 2007, 13 years ago people.

Hobbygaming

Why does a game need to be exclusive to look better? RDR2 looks and plays better, and it's a multiplatform. I'm not sure why you keep jumping from one topic to the next. Let's stick with RDR2 for now, since it was brought up. I'd love to see your hand picked screens and explanation as to why, such and such game is superior to the multiplatform game we're talking about. Help me understand your perspective by showing it to me.
This whole thing started by a certain someone saying Sony games weren't impressive visually compared to 3rd party games. RDR2 is one of the best looking games out but it is still just one game and there are games that pass it in certain aspects

Why do high end PC's always get dragged down to these discussions?

Imagine a Ferrari owner going into a topic about cars a third of the price and talk shit?

Congrats, your 1500$ PC can make games look better than a 399$ console. Amazing man, fucking amazing, just wow. mindblowing, what a feat, brilliant, unexpected. Where do I sign? This is flat track bully speak.

Last time a game came out and was actually made with high end pcs in mind was in 2007, 13 years ago people.

Omega Supreme Holopsicon Omega Supreme Holopsicon randomly claimed the PS4 version of RDR2 looks as good as PC version, and is also the best looking game on PC. Fair game after that.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

So do the games look good because they’re on a PS4, or because the games themselves do a bunch of stuff that make them look good?

Nobody seriously believes the PS4 has magic sauce that makes it do things impossible on other platforms, so it has to be the latter.

However, the things those games do that make them look good, are not proprietary to PS4, any game can do them, and many other games do them. Some people listed some of those games in this thread, you chose to ignore them. For the Nth time, games like AC Odyssey, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Red Dead 2, and Jedi Fallen Order are some of the best looking games this gen.

And while the PS4 can’t do anything other platforms cannot technically, the PC, though, can objectively do things that the PS4 cannot, that make games look better, and many many games actually do those things. Horizon Zero Dawn is going to launch on PC soon, it will run at a higher resolution, better frame rate, higher LOD, etc.
Those are some of the best looking games this gen but those games are also available on PS4 and PS4 has a lot more impressive games graphically that are exclusive to the platform, therefore they have more

diffusionx

Gold Member
Those are some of the best looking games this gen but those games are also available on PS4 and PS4 has a lot more impressive games graphically that are exclusive to the platform, therefore they have more

Those other games are available on PS4, but don’t look nearly as good as they can look on the PS4 - see my post above. And if such a gap exists for RDR2 or Shadow it obviously exists for HZD and Days Gone, we just don’t have the games to examine it (yet).

At best you can say that the PS4 exclusives take better advantage of PS4 hardware than the other games, or Sony allocated a higher for higher production values, but put any PS4 exclusive on a more powerful platform and the benefits will be obvious. I really am looking forward to seeing how HZD looks and runs on the PC for that reason.

Hobbygaming

Those other games are available on PS4, but don’t look nearly as good as they can look on the PS4 - see my post above. And if such a gap exists for RDR2 or Shadow it obviously exists for HZD and Days Gone, we just don’t have the games to examine it (yet).

At best you can say that the PS4 exclusives take better advantage of PS4 hardware than the other games, or Sony allocated a higher for higher production values, but put any PS4 exclusive on a more powerful platform and the benefits will be obvious. I really am looking forward to seeing how HZD looks and runs on the PC for that reason.
PlayStation will still have exclusives that look better than anything on PC and yes if some go to PC they will look better on more expensive hardware

Playstation will still have the most impressive looking lineup of graphic intensive exclusive games

VFXVeteran

Banned

I'll answer that!

Because it justifies their purchase of the PS.

But this generation, we'll see how they respond to the exclusives that come to PC. My prediction will be they will not mention those games in "best looking games" anymore and stick to the ones that only appear on the PS5. Their list will get smaller as time goes on..

diffusionx

Gold Member
PlayStation will still have exclusives that look better than anything on PC and yes if some go to PC they will look better on more expensive hardware

Playstation will still have the most impressive looking lineup of graphic intensive exclusive games

if you said PS exclusives look better than the PS4 versions of multi platform games, you might have a point, a banal one, but a point. I wouldn’t necessarily agree, but it could be argued.

but no, those PS4 games do not look better than some of these high end games on a high spec machine, they just don’t, nor should they.

Hobbygaming

if you said PS exclusives look better than the PS4 versions of multi platform games, you might have a point, a banal one, but a point. I wouldn’t necessarily agree, but it could be argued.

but no, those PS4 games do not look better than some of these high end games on a high spec machine, they just don’t, nor should they.
They do and this will continue with the PS5. Spider-man 2, Horizon Zero Dawn and the next GoW will look better than most games on PC

Thirty7ven

Banned
Where do I say I don't give a shit about animation?

If you're arguing Tomb Raider, Zelda BOTW, have better animation than UC4, Spiderman, TLOU2 you're either fucking with us or you really have a problem with Sony. You are constantly downplaying any Sony studios game, and you even have the nerve to prop up Tomb Raider and Zelda for the animation (and character models)?

How come you're not impressed how good animation blending in Uncharted 4 is, to the point where you have complex animations that don't slow down the gameplay like they do in RDR2? Because that's what RDR2 does, it puts everything on hold basically.

I don't know whats up with you, but it's very weird to see a vfx artist always and constantly downplaying Sony games. Visual artists tend to be very impressed by these games (God of War, Spiderman, Uncharted). Something ain't right there, considering how widely renowned they are in the industry for being at the frontier (along with Rockstar for example), yet every time I read your posts you're always swimming against that current.

Omega Supreme Holopsicon Omega Supreme Holopsicon randomly claimed the PS4 version of RDR2 looks as good as PC version, and is also the best looking game on PC. Fair game after that.

Sounds more like an excuse man. It's not even up for debate, if you got enough money and it's a game available on PC, that's where it will look the best.

Is RDR2 the best looking game on the PS4? Maybe. But are there other multiplats like RDR2? Seems to me that there's a trend of Sony putting numbers in that TOP 10 best looking games on their platform.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

What are the specs on your PC and what games have you played with them?

im speaking solely from personal experience here, I have a PC with a 1080TI and a PS4 Pro.
Resolution and frames don't really create this stark contrast in visuals between the versions. I don't play on PC but I've seen enough high quality comparisons to know

Last edited:
Top Bottom