• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the protagonists of GTA 6 are a Latina woman and a Redneck

Yoboman

Monkey's paw: GTA 6 will have the same emphasis on; and budget for good writing - but the old writers were silently canceled, and the woke crowd have got their foot in the door.

Amy Schumer GIF by E!
Uh huh, and are these woke writers in the room with us right now?

Warablo

I have like all or most of the leaked videos saved.

A woman protag in GTA should be interesting.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Have you played any of the recent GTA games ? Social commentary is a big part of them ..
But it wasn't being rattled off on a checklist by random people like some sort of a selling point. I remember a time when "social commentary" was something that you could chew on while playing through story mode but the main draw was the sandbox mayhem.

I don't care about that when i think of reasons why I like playing GTA. That's just something people have been trained to yap about these days.

En Sama

This is the first GTA game I will wait a few weeks for. if the writers of the previous ones have nothing to do with this then its a whole new game wearing the old skin of the good GTA games and my confidence in the writers and developers of the modern times is pretty much reaching zero. please God guide these souls to producing a good game though i know you don't really care about GTA and shit like that.
To be honest on reflection GTA5 was'nt that good either.

Meicyn

Gold Member
They could if they were politically correct but it’s a video dame and they will be.

It won’t have any conservative views portrayed as positive and it will be cringe at best.
What are y’all talking about. No one actually cares about “the political climate” as 170M copies of GTAV sold to date proves. Folks will line up and buy if the experience is decent.

Elden Ring sold millions, regardless of dumbshits writing tripe like this:

…and the latest Saints Row’s poor reception by gamers should lend further credence of that reality. People can smell bullshit a mile away. It’s why you can have diversity and inclusion in a media product like Arcane and it be beloved because it feels natural and believable, while you have the same in Rings of Power and it be blasted to smithereens because none of it makes any sense. One has great writing and respects proper world-building while the other does not.

Another case in point, the upcoming Final Fantasy XVI. There was some brouhaha and handwringing over diversity in the primary cast, and the director gave a lengthy explanation about the world they built and why things are the way they are. Some terminally online folks foamed at the mouth, but the game will come out, will be uncompromising in the vision they have for the game; it will be successful and sell millions. No amount of screeching will change that reality.

I do not have high hopes for this game at all, let alone the people already celebrating it's greatness based on the leaked footage.

Too bad because it is part of GTA's DNA. Good news is there is a lot of other games you can play.

Historically, GTA did social commentary the right way. They used satire as a very clever tool to make gamers reflect on the insanity of real-life American society without detracting at all from the story they were telling in-game.

These days, the activist radicals that have infested the entertainment media don't give two shits about telling a good story. They see entertainment only as a platform for them to use to beat people over the head with their political agenda.

That's very different from what's been in GTA's DNA and what GTA has always been about.

Honestly, without the Benz and the Housers, I don't know if there's a creative lead with the chops to tell a GTA satyrical story as clever as the previous games have been. I hope I'm wrong, I really do. Because it would be a very sad day to see a GTA game launch with a shit narrative and SP campaign.

YCoCg

Honestly, without the Benz and the Housers, I don't know if there's a creative lead with the chops to tell a GTA satyrical story as clever as the previous games have been.
Just to side note this, majority of the in-game Radio, TV, Internet and Ads were wrote by Lazlow who also quit Rockstar a few years back. Sadly though due to how some gamers are these days I could pull something from GTAV (released in 2013), post it now and have either side raging as that's just how the internet is these days.

John Bilbo

What was the first GTA with clear social commentary? I don't remember the first three having much or any such a thing. Then again it has been decades since I've played those games.

Were there social commentary in Vice City or San Andreas?

Soodanim

Majormaxxx

Why
Or if you have actual taste.
She looks dumpy. It
What was the first GTA with clear social commentary? I don't remember the first three having much or any such a thing. Then again it has been decades since I've played those games.

Were there social commentary in Vice City or San Andreas?
GTA 3 had satire in the radio station. Scathing critique of the current society at the time.

nkarafo

I hope you choose one of them and go solo. I don't want another multi-character GTA campaign. I prefer two separated ones.

Certinty

Surprised they opted for two protagonists when V at three. Unless there’s more we don’t know about yet.

Shubh_C63

the game is rumored to be inspired by "Bonnie and Clyde" and he even calls her "baby" in one of the leaked vids when they rob the cafe
What I took from the leak was that you can finally enter any building/establishment. That's huge. I don't think GTA5 had that like robbing any cafe outside the main mission.

Top Bottom