• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the protagonists of GTA 6 are a Latina woman and a Redneck

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You are jumping through hoops to justify changing original works then calling them "definitive edition."

Maybe I don't have the timeline correct, but it was my assumption that Rockstar themselves changed the flag to a skull on their own accord. Or is that not correct?

barack obama GIF

Oops, EDIT: Other part of my post was deleted. Here is the rest of it:

Mostly for jokes, but c'mon McMas. Are you seriously comparing the Nazi Flag to the Confederate Flag? And are you seriously defending idiotic censorship about a game that mocks the extremes of all sides of the political spectrum?

Why wouldn't I compare the Nazi flag to the Confederate Flag? Both groups of people were horrible and the world is better off not having them "around" per-say anymore. Also, it's not censorship if the developers themselves did it. I'd be against it if some other side group or government asked for the flag to be removed.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Maybe I don't have the timeline correct, but it was my assumption that Rockstar themselves changed the flag to a skull on their own accord. Or is that not correct?

Why wouldn't I compare the Nazi flag to the Confederate Flag? Both groups of people were horrible and the world is better off not having them "around" per-say anymore. Also, it's not censorship if the developers themselves did it. I'd be against it if some other side group or government asked for the flag to be removed.

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Self-Censorship is still censorship, mate. Appeasing weak-willed small-brained retards who can't realize reality from parody.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Hopefully it’s a big booty woke Latina and a MAGA redneck. Just think of the future neogaf threads.

Now that would be super funny. Especially if they actually poked fun at all the non-sense that people have been talking about on social media over the last 5 or so years.

mckmas8808

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Self-Censorship is still censorship, mate. Appeasing weak-willed small-brained retards who can't realize reality from parody.

Giving into alarmists and people that just want to see the world burn would also be censorship, but by the "other side". Developers should have the ability to make the game they want without either side "forcing" them to either put something in a game, taking something out, or modifying something.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Giving into alarmists and people that just want to see the world burn would also be censorship, but by the "other side". Developers should have the ability to make the game they want without either side "forcing" them to either put something in a game, taking something out, or modifying something.
What about leaving the games in their original form is "giving into alarmists?"
Animated GIF

mckmas8808

What about leaving the games in their original form is "giving into alarmists?"
Animated GIF

Okay, you're talking about a specific situation. The change must have happened with the re-release of the PS2 era GTA games just going by your responses. If that's what happened and if that's only what we are talking about, then I agree it should all stay in. Considering that was literally the game when first released.

I was speaking more in general when games are being made.

mortal

Gold Member
Artist's rendition based on leaked footage

Would be great if the character models were equally as detailed in GTA VI proper.
I also liked the character art of RDR2, so hopefully, it'll be a noticeable step up from that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Okay, you're talking about a specific situation. The change must have happened with the re-release of the PS2 era GTA games just going by your responses. If that's what happened and if that's only what we are talking about, then I agree it should all stay in. Considering that was literally the game when first released.

I was speaking more in general when games are being made.
I am talking about overreaching and unnecessary censorship in general in the great culture war. And yes, it impacts current gen games in the design/story phase.

PC Gamer

Has enormous collection of anime/manga. Cosplays as waifu.
So would you rather they have a Nazi flag in GTA6 too, since you seem to have "wanted" the confederate flag in their previous works? Not sure how removing the flag of the slavery American south is viewed as only political correctness.
History should never be censored. Removing the flag is the definition of political correctness.

mckmas8808

History should never be censored. Removing the flag is the definition of political correctness.
You're correct if you are talking about a confederate solider. But not all Rednecks in games need to have that rebel flag displayed on their clothing.

There's more to the "look" of a redneck than the rebel flag.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
Rockstar just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Southern culture (mckmas8808 is an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in post civil war America where you can become successful by censoring flags. If you censor flags in the South, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the entire south, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase GTA6 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Rockstar's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Rockstar has alienated an entire market with this move.
Rockstar, publicly apologize and stop censorship or you can kiss your business goodbye.

PC Gamer

Has enormous collection of anime/manga. Cosplays as waifu.
You're correct if you are talking about a confederate solider. But not all Rednecks in games need to have that rebel flag displayed on their clothing.

There's more to the "look" of a redneck than the rebel flag.
I never said that rednecks need to have the flag displayed on their shirts. I was talking about the character Cassidy that wore the flag on his shirt in the original Vice City game. In the remaster Rockstar Games went all woke and censored the game by removing the flag. Nothing should be censored, ever.

jonnyp

Rockstar just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Southern culture (mckmas8808 is an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in post civil war America where you can become successful by censoring flags. If you censor flags in the South, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the entire south, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase GTA6 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Rockstar's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Rockstar has alienated an entire market with this move.
Rockstar, publicly apologize and stop censorship or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Classic! :)

CGNoire

So would you rather they have a Nazi flag in GTA6 too, since you seem to have "wanted" the confederate flag in their previous works? Not sure how removing the flag of the slavery American south is viewed as only political correctness.
Because the character is not a fucking role model. All the time you all spend online has eroded your ability to tell the difference between reality and fiction.

CGNoire

If they kept it in the game, I would personally be fine with it. But I think it's overly STUPID to be upset that swastikas or the confederate flag was removed by the developers of a game and changed to something generic. If the game was based on the Confederate war, I'd 100% agree they "NEED" to be in the game. If the game was based on WW2, then they'd "NEED" to be in the game.

But GTA isn't even based in a real America. And the characters are rednecks, so it's not like they "HAVE" to have Confederate flags on their clothes or on their front porch. The change to skull and bones should get no one upset. Now if they made all the rednecks one-note racists, I'd agree with you.
No one gave a shit but bored white liberals and the perpetually offended.

StueyDuck

I just hope you can choose one and play for extended periods of time.

Rdr2 proved that R* are best at focusing on one char. While gtaV was great. The characters all felt half written, especially Trevor, I hated Trevor 99% of the time but I understood he was meant to represent the chaos of playing GTA, but he always pulled me out of the world by being so damn ridiculous

Last edited:

mdkirby

Does it need a social commentary, though? I want to be entertained, not lectured.
Rockstar games are always a social commentary, it’s kinda their whole thing. It would be like asking if South Park needs social commentary when all you want is to be entertained. It would be a totally different show and not something it’s creators would be interested in making 🤷‍♂️

Drizzlehell

Banned
Rockstar games are always a social commentary, it’s kinda their whole thing. It would be like asking if South Park needs social commentary when all you want is to be entertained. It would be a totally different show and not something it’s creators would be interested in making 🤷‍♂️
I don't know where you guys got that idea. GTA games (and South Park for that matter) were always satirizing the American culture. Satire is not the same as serious social commentary where you'd want to convey an earnest, meaningful message to the audience. It's just something to add the flavor to the game's style and setting, poke fun at society, and play into the fact that this is an exaggerated caricature of the real world, not an imitation of it. GTA was always about sandbox freedom and over the top gameplay. Not some lecture about diversity, tolerance, and equal opportunities.

Now, if they want to satirize some redneck tropes then sure, go right ahead. But OP made it sound like he's expecting that we're suddenly gonna get beaten over the head with THE MESSAGE.

fuckthat-fuckallthat.gif

I've had enough of this shit in gaming. GTA shouldn't have social commentary. If it's gonna be a real GTA game then it should be roasting the fuck out of modern twitter culture and everyone's obsession with being politically correct and tolerant, while literally going after anyone who disagrees with pitchforks and torches. But I doubt that it's going to do that. Rockstar has lost its edge. I already saw some articles that suggested that GTA 6 will be more politically correct or whatever, which is just sad if you ask me.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Yes. Because it's parody. Shall the swastikas' be removed from Nazis in Wolfenstein games and other WW2 games?

Why censor them in games, but not in TV/Film?
I don't know if you know this, but in Germany they do this, and it's across all media, German Wolfenstein even removed Hitler's stache! The German cut of Inglorious Basterds is somewhat hilarious because of this with all the white circles everywhere.

Puscifer

barack obama GIF

Oops, EDIT: Other part of my post was deleted. Here is the rest of it:

Mostly for jokes, but c'mon McMas. Are you seriously comparing the Nazi Flag to the Confederate Flag? And are you seriously defending idiotic censorship about a game that mocks the extremes of all sides of the political spectrum?
I think the reason being and I could be totally wrong, is that certain works of art can be misconstrued as support later on down the line and with certain viewpoints hitting the mainstream I can see them not wanting to feel as if they're showing solidarity.

Great example is punk music, completely nuts how songs like white minority have been captured by the groups they actively made fun of because they feel like it was coded towards them. Just take a look at the comments here.

John Bilbo

I don't know if you know this, but in Germany they do this, and it's across all media, German Wolfenstein even removed Hitler's stache! The German cut of Inglorious Basterds is somewhat hilarious because of this with all the white circles everywhere.
that's fucked up

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Anyone that has lived in the south should know there is nothing out of the ordinary in seeing a red neck and Hispanic together. It’s literally every neighbor I’ve ever had growing up in NC. 🤷‍♂️

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't know if you know this, but they lifted that ban. Yes, the motherland of this, has lifted it.

mckmas8808

I LOVE Germany for taking this stance. Very impressive. I know it looks stupid in the game to remove the stache, but I love how Germany just openly will not respect that era of theirs. They want the world to know they there's no love remaining for the Nazi era.

If only America could have done the same with the group of people that wanted to leave America to form their own country, instead of building statues of them.

I don't know if you know this, but they lifted that ban. Yes, the motherland of this, has lifted it.

Welp! :messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat:

At least they made a hard statement for decades prior though.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Oh wow, that was on the low down, does it still apply to other media?

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Interesting....that's an interesting dynamic... We are probably going to get a good deal of social commentary

obviously i can't post a leaked scan but i'll post fanart of what they looked like in the leak

FdMNreVXwAIx5fC.jpg:large

a bit odd that Rockstar would do another redneck protagonist after Trevor, but it makes sense in Vice City...i .e the embodiment of "Florida Man"

there names are Lucia and Jason
I hope they fuck.

Acidjuice

Neo Member
I don't know where you guys got that idea. GTA games (and South Park for that matter) were always satirizing the American culture. Satire is not the same as serious social commentary where you'd want to convey an earnest, meaningful message to the audience. It's just something to add the flavor to the game's style and setting, poke fun at society, and play into the fact that this is an exaggerated caricature of the real world, not an imitation of it. GTA was always about sandbox freedom and over the top gameplay. Not some lecture about diversity, tolerance, and equal opportunities.

Now, if they want to satirize some redneck tropes then sure, go right ahead. But OP made it sound like he's expecting that we're suddenly gonna get beaten over the head with THE MESSAGE.

fuckthat-fuckallthat.gif

I've had enough of this shit in gaming. GTA shouldn't have social commentary. If it's gonna be a real GTA game then it should be roasting the fuck out of modern twitter culture and everyone's obsession with being politically correct and tolerant, while literally going after anyone who disagrees with pitchforks and torches. But I doubt that it's going to do that. Rockstar has lost its edge. I already saw some articles that suggested that GTA 6 will be more politically correct or whatever, which is just sad if you ask me.
So in other words it has to be a type of social commentary that supports your particular politics. I keep seeing this kinda safe-space for what I specifically like mentality a lot and it always seems based in a "This should be made for me" kinda mindset.

Drizzlehell

Banned
So in other words it has to be a type of social commentary that supports your particular politics. I keep seeing this kinda safe-space for what I specifically like mentality a lot and it always seems based in a "This should be made for me" kinda mindset.
It shouldn't support any politics, it should be making fun of them instead. Haven't you read anything I said?

I don't give a rat's ass about any politics. Everything is stupid and pointless anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom