• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the protagonists of GTA 6 are a Latina woman and a Redneck

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
They’ve probably got their story completely written, with full background and cultural references, voice lines probably recorded to some degree, portions of the city are probably closely tied to the specific character types, like Trevor and the trailer park, and all the side characters that go along side the trailer park etc. There’s no way, what?
I didn't even think about that way good point

Last edited:
It would have been awesome if they did an Asian guy and a Latina . Like I swear entertainment only see black people as the only minority 🙄 it be dumb if a Latino wasnt a main character based off Florida where a huge portion of Latinos love. As for the asian guy. Asian people are extremely underrepresented in the entertainment. Not everything is black and white

itsnotme

These threads are so funny because all I get from them is every time a new game has a :
Black protagonist —-> woke
Asian protagonist—-> woke
Latino protagonist—-> woke
Women protagonist—-> woke
Gay protagonist—-> woke
They genuinely can’t change anything without it being “woke” whatever that actually means LOL.

Shakka43

Its crazy that a playable latina is still considered noteworthy. We are ~20% of the American population lol but I guess yeah technically haven’t been in too many games. Cortez from Timesplitters counts?
GTA itself has had two dominican leads in their series, Luis in GTA4:EFLC and Vince in GTA:VCS.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
It would have been awesome if they did an Asian guy and a Latina . Like I swear entertainment only see black people as the only minority 🙄 it be dumb if a Latino wasnt a main character based off Florida where a huge portion of Latinos love. As for the asian guy. Asian people are extremely underrepresented in the entertainment. Not everything is black and white
that's fair

although it makes sense Rockstar would go with a Florida hillbilly/redneck as a protagonist

These threads are so funny because all I get from them is every time a new game has a :
Gay protagonist—-> woke
They genuinely can’t change anything without it being “woke” whatever that actually means LOL.

They’ve gone back and edited out old jokes and made statements akin to ‘we won’t punch down’. The red flags are out and fluttering in a strong wind.

Plus Rockstar are Scottish. They make the Canadians look edgy.

levyjl1988

Banned
I'll pass on this game seeing who the protagonists are in this game. Would have been nice if we can get a customized experience of GTA Online but in the campaign with a selection of fully voiced talents.

YCoCg

i guess hypothetically let me ask if they were to scrap them and restart with a new set of characters would that cause a delay of the game?
Considering the ENTIRE storyline revolves around them, ...yes, it would cause a delay, past GTA actors have said they work for months on the game to record the VO and do motion capture. What kind of question is that?

because i assume they wanted to keep them a surprise..

i guess hypothetically let me ask if they were to scrap them and restart with a new set of characters would that cause a delay of the game?
A million percent. They would have to change at least 50% of the game and that's not including new actors. The real question is what would the benefit be? Losing millions because of a ruined surprise?

Again, remember, Lucia alone sparked tons of hype bc she's thicc lol. Seems like she could be a badass too. If anything they were unintentionally able to confirm their success.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
A million percent. They would have to change at least 50% of the game and that's not including new actors. The real question is what would the benefit be? Losing millions because of a ruined surprise?

Again, remember, Lucia alone sparked tons of hype bc she's thicc lol. Seems like she could be a badass too. If anything they were unintentionally able to confirm their success.
Considering the ENTIRE storyline revolves around them, ...yes, it would cause a delay, past GTA actors have said they work for months on the game to record the VO and do motion capture. What kind of question is that?
well how much voice acting for this game do you think R* has done already?

well how much voice acting for this game do you think R* has done already?
Probably a lot by now. There's likely a shit ton of dialogue for this game. And remember there was already plenty of lines spoken in that build which was supposedly from 2019. They've been working on this since 2013 when GTAV came out.

i wonder how this relationship is going to work
Idk but I like the idea of 2 playable characters way more than 3. I was not a fan of Gta V. I didn't like the sotry because it felt so disjointed with vastly different characters. It just made for a weird tone. I hope they go the more gritty route of gta IV

supernova8

Banned
Not that bothered about who the protagonists are. I'd be happy with a semi-customizable one as long as it fits with the story and doesn't fuck up the dialogue sequences. Also, as long as their walk/run animation and sounds aren't annoying.

Plus, I'm more interested in them adding enhanced AI, physics, destruction, etc. along with more advanced game mechanics. I fear that Rockstar has made so much money from GTA Online that the singleplayer element will just take a back seat eventually.

Last edited:

PC Gamer

Has enormous collection of anime/manga. Cosplays as waifu.
Gay protagonist—-> woke
There's a huge difference between "change" and "politically correct". Rockstar Games removed the Confederate flag from Phil Cassidy's shirt and replaced it with a generic skull with eagle wings because of political correctness. GTA 6 will be woke.

jaydogg691

FdMNreVXwAIx5fC.jpg:large
Damn, they did my girl Lucia dirty with this art.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There's a huge difference between "change" and "politically correct". Rockstar Games removed the Confederate flag from Phil Cassidy's shirt and replaced it with a generic skull with eagle wings because of political correctness. GTA 6 will be woke.

So would you rather they have a Nazi flag in GTA6 too, since you seem to have "wanted" the confederate flag in their previous works? Not sure how removing the flag of the slavery American south is viewed as only political correctness.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So would you rather they have a Nazi flag in GTA6 too, since you seem to have "wanted" the confederate flag in their previous works? Not sure how removing the flag of the slavery American south is viewed as only political correctness.
Yes. Because it's parody. Shall the swastikas' be removed from Nazis in Wolfenstein games and other WW2 games?

Why censor them in games, but not in TV/Film?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yes. Because it's parody. Shall the swastikas' be removed from Nazis in Wolfenstein games and other WW2 games?

Why censor them in games, but not in TV/Film?

If they kept it in the game, I would personally be fine with it. But I think it's overly STUPID to be upset that swastikas or the confederate flag was removed by the developers of a game and changed to something generic. If the game was based on the Confederate war, I'd 100% agree they "NEED" to be in the game. If the game was based on WW2, then they'd "NEED" to be in the game.

But GTA isn't even based in a real America. And the characters are rednecks, so it's not like they "HAVE" to have Confederate flags on their clothes or on their front porch. The change to skull and bones should get no one upset. Now if they made all the rednecks one-note racists, I'd agree with you.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If they kept it in the game, I would personally be fine with it. But I think it's overly STUPID to be upset that swastikas or the confederate flag was removed by the developers of a game and changed to something generic. If the game was based on the Confederate war, I'd 100% agree they "NEED" to be in the game. If the game was based on WW2, then they'd "NEED" to be in the game.

But GTA isn't even based in a real America. And the characters are rednecks, so it's not like they "HAVE" to have Confederate flags on their clothes or on their front porch. The change to skull and bones should get no one upset. Now if they made all the rednecks one-note racists, I'd agree with you.
You are jumping through hoops to justify changing original works then calling them "definitive edition."

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
barack obama GIF

Oops, EDIT: Other part of my post was deleted. Here is the rest of it:

Mostly for jokes, but c'mon McMas. Are you seriously comparing the Nazi Flag to the Confederate Flag? And are you seriously defending idiotic censorship about a game that mocks the extremes of all sides of the political spectrum?

Last edited:

NickFire

You are jumping through hoops to justify changing original works then calling them "definitive edition."

Can we all collectively agree that Jack Thompson should still F off?

Top Bottom