• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some of the changes to The Empire Strikes Back on DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

-Temuera Morrison is now the voice of Boba Fett. Makes sense as Boba is a clone of Jango.

-Dialog between the Emperor and Vader is different (in addition to the Emperor being changed as it should've been in 97):

Emperor: We have a new enemy. The young rebel who destroyed the Death Star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker.
Vader: How is that possible?
Emperor: Search your feelings, Lord Vader. You will know it to be true. He could destroy us.
Vader: He's just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him.

-UNCONFIRMED: Luke's scream may be removed. This comes from a clip Lucasfilm showed at Comic Con of the scene in the 2 1/2 hour documentary (on disc four) where the scream is absent.

Dead

well not really...yet
This is all I care about. And it seems no major changes and if Lukes Scream is removed then I will be very happy :)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Since they're cutting Jeremy Bulloch's voice out at Bobba Fett (makes me treasure my autograph that much more, stupid Lucas)....

Shouldn't they have Temura Morrison redub all the stormtrooper voices since, now, thanks to lucas, Boba Fett is nothing more than a glorified stormtrooper?

ManaByte

BuddyChrist83 said:
Interesting. If that scream is removed, by god, it would be perfect.

I have read some things that say it HAS been removed as the clip in the documentary shows.

Boogie

BuddyChrist83 said:
Interesting. If that scream is removed, by god, it would be perfect.

Uh, but it won't be perfect, because Lucas will have butchered all of Boba Fett's lines.

ManaByte

Boogie said:
Uh, but it won't be perfect, because Lucas will have butchered all of Boba Fett's lines.

The lines are exactly the same as before. They just have an accent to them now to match the voice of Jango Fett who Boba Fett is a CLONE of.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yes, and the stormtroopers should have teh accent too, so Lucas' screw up can be complete

Oh, and to get a bit on topic, what scream are we talking about?

Drensch

Most stormtroopers are conscripts/volunteers from Imperial worlds. Few would have survived the Clone wars, let alone been fit enough to fight 20 years later.

Accents aren't Genetic, but Boba was raised by Jango...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Drensch said:
Most stormtroopers are conscripts/volunteers from Imperial worlds. Few would have survived the Clone wars, let alone been fit enough to fight 20 years later.

Accents aren't Genetic, but Boba was raised by Jango...

Not anymore he isn't, unless they bring in Futurama head preservation technology....

ManaByte

Drensch said:

The EU (books/comics/etc.) is not canon.

but...accents aren't genetic.

All of the Clonetroopers sounded like Jango, so why wouldn't Boba?

Oh, and to get a bit on topic, what scream are we talking about?

When Luke falls down the shaft in ESB he screams in the SE. It sounded retarded since they just used the Emperor's scream from ROTJ. It looks as if it's been removed in the DVD.

Drensch

The EU (books/comics/etc.) is not canon.

Doesn't need to be. Luke, Biggs, etc. All Wanted to go to the Imperial academy-where Storm Troopers come from. They aren't clones. I wouldn't necessarily say that the genetic thing has no basis either. In normal sex,sure,there is no accent. But they picked jango for his knowledge and such so I'm sure they imparted some of Jango's knowledge in the Clone training.

ManaByte

Drensch said:
Doesn't need to be. Luke, Biggs, etc. All Wanted to go to the Imperial academy-where Storm Troopers come from. They aren't clones. I wouldn't necessarily say that the genetic thing has no basis either. In normal sex,sure,there is no accent. But they picked jango for his knowledge and such so I'm sure they imparted some of Jango's knowledge in the Clone training.

No, the Stormtroopers are clones. The Academy produces the Imperial Officers who appear to be all British. Luke and Biggs would've been rejected due to the lack of that accent. Thus they join the Rebellion :)

In the Hyperspace set diaries from Episode III Lucas clearly explains that the Stormtroopers are clones, although not all come from Jango after the Empire is formed.

The Jango model bumps his head on doors, another model can't shoot right, etc.

ManaByte

Oh. CONFIRMED:

The shitty Jabba CGI in A New Hope has been replaced with the slightly better Jabba CG model from The Phantom Menace.

Ristamar

Stormtroopers are clones in the 'classic' Empire? I don't ever remember reading or hearing about that in any of the books or gaming supplements. Any chance you could provide a source?

EDIT: Nevermind, I saw your edit. Bleah. I think that's sort of ridiculous. Oh well.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
ManaByte said:
In the Hyperspace set diaries from Episode III Lucas clearly explains that the Stormtroopers are clones, although not all come from Jango after the Empire is formed.
Hyperspace set diaries are not canon. ;)

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
His perfectionist mentality went down the sh!tter for Ep1, 2 and most likely 3.

DaCocoBrova said:
His perfectionist mentality went down the sh!tter for Ep1, 2 and most likely 3.

*rolls eyes*

Nothing major about these changes, no reason to bitch.

Hell majority of the changes I've seen made in any of the films really aren't huge deals... but then I had never seen SE ESB or ROTJ. I just saw ROTJ DVD... and I must say I was rather appalled by the new ending he created just for some damn celebration scene. I hate the song, I miss the cute Ewoks. :(

Now I must go eat my hat.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
You know, I really didn't want to have to go out and buy this set. I thought that my hatred for Episode 1 & 2 had allowed me to finally move on from Star Wars. But with all these extras and the tweaks they added in I think I might cave in. Plus I bet it these movies would sound great in my home theatre.

nubbe

ManaByte said:
-UNCONFIRMED: Luke's scream may be removed. This comes from a clip Lucasfilm showed at Comic Con of the scene in the 2 1/2 hour documentary (on disc four) where the scream is absent.
What scream? The "NOOOOOOOOO"?

evil ways

Yeah, the scream where he lets himself fall in ESB, it sounded similar to Palpatine's scream in RotJ only more high pitched and whiny.

I'm glad to see the ESB is still left un-violated for the most part by Lucas's senile old mind, at least compared to ANH and RotJ.

So they changed Jabba in ANH, but does Han Solo still walk all over him like a stiff cardboard cutout?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i hope they then fix Bobas really awkward scream in rotj when getting his booster slams him into jabbas flying palace right before falling into the pit.

Boogie

ManaByte said:
The lines are exactly the same as before. They just have an accent to them now to match the voice of Jango Fett who Boba Fett is a CLONE of.

I don't much give a damn. Original Trilogy >>> ( x infinity) Prequel Trilogy, therefore any move that changes the Original Trilogy to be consistent with the Prequels is trash.

Basically, I think Lucas has approached Star Wars completely ass backwards in the past decade. He made the most memorable movie trilogy of all time, then he decided to tell the story of the prequels.

Now, what he should have done was made the Prequels so as to be consistent with the Original Trilogy. Instead, he's made crappy Prequels, and for reasons passing understanding, has decided to taint the Original Trilogy by deciding to change it to be consistent with the Prequels.

And that is why he's a hack.

Boogie said:
I don't much give a damn. Original Trilogy >>> ( x infinity) Prequel Trilogy, therefore any move that changes the Original Trilogy to be consistent with the Prequels is trash.

Basically, I think Lucas has approached Star Wars completely ass backwards in the past decade. He made the most memorable movie trilogy of all time, then he decided to tell the story of the prequels.

Now, what he should have done was made the Prequels so as to be consistent with the Original Trilogy. Instead, he's made crappy Prequels, and for reasons passing understanding, has decided to taint the Original Trilogy by deciding to change it to be consistent with the Prequels.

Every post I read like this one makes me laugh. The prequels are hardly trash and are decent films. I think they do stand well in the Star Wars saga and it's rather sad most people don't agree. While some of the changes to the original trilogy are a bit bothersome. I've yet to see any drastic change that was meant to help them become more consistent with the prequels. The only major thing he's done so far is put Hayden at the end of ROTJ.

His SE scenes had next to nothing to do witht he prequels and were just his way of making them more "up to date" and appealing to younger audiences. Very little of the story of ANY of the movies has been changed. Only the geeks who enjoy a film for the bits and pieces are the ones I see bitching. I still see the same story, acting quality, and overally emotion of the original trilogy intact despite these changes. They really aren't that much of a big fucking deal.

The prequels still offer that "cutting edge" technology and special effects. The story is still there and I don't thin they're at ALL horrible when compared to the original trilogy. Hell, ROTS looks to be one of the top films in the saga if we go by the story. At least for me. The acting quality feels roughly the same for me in both trilogies. They all have corny lines, they all have poorly placed dialogue and emotion. Hell the love scenes in AOTC reminded me so much of Leia and Luke's slight romance in ANH. Awkward and totally unnecessary. The humor in the OT is hardly existent outside of Han. Obi-Wan reminds me a bit of him in the prequels, the humor that is. Still feels like Star Wars, still the galaxy I've always loved, and still the series that is capable of taking me into a place where I feel swept away in.

Meh, to bring it back to my original point. The only thing that damaged the original trilogy any were the SE changes. Things like the slave dance scene, and the ending to ROTJ make no sense whatsoever and are terrible compared to their original versions. These prequel changes do very little to harm the film and any many cases (the scream, and even the interesting idea about Dark/Light Jedi aging) enhance the film a bit. I don't see any problem.

My personal ratings of the Star Wars movies

Ep. IV A New Hope : 6/10
Ep. V Empire Strikes Back: 7/10
Ep. VI Return of the Jedi: 5/10
Ep. I The Phantom Menace: 5.5/10
Ep II Attack of the Clones: 6/10

edit: oh yes and my ratings of the SEs of the original trilogy = exactly the same as my ratings of the original versions of the original trilogy

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
My personal ratings of the Star Wars movies

Ep. IV A New Hope : 6/10
Ep. V Empire Strikes Back: 7/10
Ep. VI Return of the Jedi: 5/10
Ep. I The Phantom Menace: 5.5/10
Ep II Attack of the Clones: 6/10

I love how it's the scores that you try to make a point with rather than reasons.

For those that want to HEAR the changes in The emperor holographic scene here's a few MP3's:

Boba Fett = Jango Fett's voice

Ian McDiarmid as the emperor in Empire Strikes back

and two pictures:

From Empire Strikes back
EmperorSideAngle.jpg

From the birth of Darth Vader.
vandpep3doc.jpg

The Bookerman said:
For those that want to HEAR the changes in The emperor holographic scene here's a few MP3's:

Boba Fett = Jango Fett's voice

Ian McDiarmid as the emperor in Empire Strikes back

and two pictures:

From Empire Strikes back
EmperorSideAngle.jpg

From the birth of Darth Vader.
vandpep3doc.jpg

Why thanks, neither of the sound clips sound bad at all. Hell they hardly feel any different, but then again I probably would need a "side by side" comparison to really feel which I like most. I plan on doing this with the ROTJ DVD and ROTJ Original VHS and just see how much is really different.

You guys are gonna love this...

Over on the HAT for Star Wars at www.hometheaterforum.com they're reporting that the revised ending for ROTJ now features a brief clip of the celebration on Naboo:
rotj-remaster4.png

During the scene, you can hear a voice shouting, "Weesa free!!!"

Seriously.

Lucky Forward said:
You guys are gonna love this...

Over on the HAT for Star Wars at www.hometheaterforum.com they're reporting that the revised ending for ROTJ now features a brief clip of the celebration on Naboo:
rotj-remaster4.png

During the scene, you can hear a voice shouting, "Weesa free!!!"

Seriously.

Somebody should get shot for including gungans in the original trilogy

The Bookerman said:
Somebody should get shot for including gungans in the original trilogy

Well it's not like anyone will notice. I watched it and don't remember hearing such a thing, I'll have to look at it again to be sure. It'll go over better than the rumor of Jar Jar being put into the final scene of ROTJ.

Prine

Banned
Totally agree with everything DarthWefui posted. People just bitch too much about Lucas.

Do you guys think Ewan McGregor as Obi WAn was a good move?

Prine

Banned
BojTrek said:
I think Ewan is great a Obi-Wan... the similarities are uncanny...

Exactly. I watched both Ep 1 and 2 about 10 times each, i keep thinking to myself WOW I dont think you can find a better Obi Wan

6.8 said:
Obi-Wan is practically the only thing I like about the new trilogy.

Your name says it all. I would expect nothing else.

Ewan is the shining star of TPM and Obi-Wan rivals Yoda as my favorite character in AOTC. He's great, he can be witty, sly, smart, cunning, and so on and still be convincing. It's definitely what I would expect of a young Obi-Wan. I do hope he's a little more quiet on the wittiness in the next film just to show a bit of a progression into the more mentor minded Obi-Wan that we see dominate ANH. Much like we saw from the move to AOTC after TPM. He was a much more serious character.

Oh, and he's pretty nice looking. That's always a plus in my book.

DarthWufei said:
Your name says it all. I would expect nothing else.

Uh... You expected something? And are you suggesting that your name doesn't say it all?

I'm not even bitching. I'm stating what I liked about the new Trilogy. I liked Obi-Wan. He took a part in the only story thread that I enjoyed in AOTC, he was the only character in Episode 1 that actually had *character*. I know it's part of ObiWan to be so confrontational with his mentor, but hey, I enjoyed it.

So what does my name have to do with this? Is 6.8 related to anything Star Wars or Ewan McGregor? Didn't think so.

Can't say that I truly enjoyed the rest (outside of special effects), but I don't go apeshit at people who enjoy (or not) the new movies like generic fanboys/hater.

Prine

Banned
Id like to see Saber battles like the duals in TPM, Obi Wan vs Darth Maul was awesome. And Yoda in AOTC.

6.8 said:
Uh... You expected something? And are you suggesting that your name doesn't say it all?

I'm not even bitching. I'm stating what I liked about the new Trilogy. I liked Obi-Wan. He took a part in the only story thread that I enjoyed in AOTC, he was the only character in Episode 1 that actually had *character*. I know it's part of ObiWan to be so confrontational with his mentor, but hey, I enjoyed it.

Can't say that about the rest, but I don't go apeshit at people who enjoy (or not) the new movies like generic fanboys/hater.

I don't suppose you've read any of my other posts have you? I certainly haven't defended every Lucas has done to the saga. I've even expressed my gripes about certain changes to the original trilogy (mainly the Special Edition). I'm defending the movies as many seem to throw them away as trash, when they're on par with the original trilogy in many ways.

If that makes me a fanboy, so be it. I'd rather take the title and continue to express my views on the prequels as being every bit Star Wars as the originals. Rather than completely dismissing them and Lucas' minor changes as complete bullshit not worthy of one's time.

Also, I had no problem at all with your comment, it just ringed a very funny similarity to the name and I would expect the same from just about anyone else who used the terms as their first impression.

EDIT: To the edit, I'm sorry your name has absolutely no connotation and is pure coincidence. I guess that makes me look quite silly for jumping to conclusions.

Prine said:
Id like to see Saber battles like the duals in TPM, Obi Wan and Darth Maul part was awesome.

Hah, the saber duels are definitely something to remember in the prequels. Both movies have provided exciting actions sequences between Jedi than the original trilogy ever offered (not that I would expect them to). I don't see how anyone could not enjoy them )eh for action). Though I still think the saber duels in the original top them in terms of the inpact on the story itself.

Teddman

Boogie said:

RIGHT ON!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom