• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #63

Song: Chao Karate
Game: Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Composer: Uncertain; best guess is Senoue due to similarities with Gumball Bonus and At Dawn

Really I couldn't think of a more suitable theme for cute little chao engaging in the most barebones of martial arts, I always forget how much I like this little theme.

Sonic Lost World's Soundtrack is like the opposite of the game itself in that the more I listen to it the more I appreciate it, playing more of Lost World being the inverse.

Unlike the game itself, Lost World's soundtrack is consistently good, but just like the game itself, it doesn't have much of an identity of its own/doesn't know what it wants to be.

Sciz

Sonic Lost World's Soundtrack is like the opposite of the game itself in that the more I listen to it the more I appreciate it, playing more of Lost World being the inverse.

I'm going to have to insist that you adopt Midnight Owl as your theme song.

edit: I think what's going on with the track titles is that every unique level theme got its own name, whereas Windy Hill 2 and Desert Ruins 4 are arrangements of the Zone 1 originals, and are distinguished as such by not being uniquely named.

The Sonic half of the Sochi 2014 OST has made it online, and I can't tell how many new mixes it actually has. So much re-used music.

At least it has Windy Valley.

edit: I think what's going on with the track titles is that every unique level theme got its own name, whereas Windy Hill 2 and Desert Ruins 4 are arrangements of the Zone 1 originals, and are distinguished as such by not being uniquely named.
If only ask the levels were unique; then it'd be more consistent.

EDIT: LOL I saw that edit. Sucks that it's true.

Unlike the game itself, Lost World's soundtrack is consistently good, but just like the game itself, it doesn't have much of an identity of its own/doesn't know what it wants to be.
Actually i'd say that the majority of it has some sort of cohesion though it's not as immediately prevalent as say Unleashed with its World Music angle. It's very peppy in a sense, bright and bold music that matches the more simple and colourful visual style. Pretty jazzy in a few tracks as well in different styles, lots of brass instruments may be a better way of putting it. In any case if it appears to lack an identity I'd say that the rather random assortment of stage types probably plays a part in this since unlike most of the series it has a wider variety of settings to make music for and some of these can stick out a bit like the sweet stage or the rather drab zone 4 of the sky world.

I mean after all Colours jumps between numerous styles across its various worlds, Asteroid Coaster, Sweet Mountain and Aquarium Park are all pretty diverse if you compared them to each other but I don't think anyone figured it lacked a sense of soundtrack identity. Though that's just my thoughts on this one.

I'm going to have to insist that you adopt Midnight Owl as your theme song.

Saw that song title and was rejoiced that I can cast off the Sonic soundtrack shackles of Nocturne, I'll happily take Midnight Owl.
It can be played alongside reading my longer posts.

Sciz

The Sonic half of the Sochi 2014 OST has made it online, and I can't tell how many new mixes it actually has. So much re-used music.

At least it has Windy Valley.

Windy Valley is also recycled from M&S 2012, like that Flying Battery link you edited out. FBZ I'm fairly certain was a cleaned up version of the MIDI they slapped together for Generations, with Senoue recording new guitar tracks for it like he did Splash Hill. Similarly, the Speed Highway mix is an edited version of Generations' Act 1 mix with a new bassline, and Blizzard Peaks sounds like it only replaced the lead guitar, bass, and drum kit. And it's no coincidence that Diamond Dust and the three Advance tracks were all Generations MIDIs.

If the series survives to 2016, I'm gonna go ahead and call Hydrocity, Death Egg, and Toxic Caves arrangements.

I think it kind of sucks that they put all that effort into the Mario tunes but don't really do a lot for their own franchise. :/

I'd love to see more fresh interpretations of Sonic music. If they can do dubstep Buoy Base or a crazy Secret Slide, then I don't see why we can't get... IDK, a bluegrass Hill Top, or a proper metal version of Ice Cap.

I wouldn't mind but we all know Sonic music is better. :p

Nah, you'll always be Nocturnowl.
I'll never forgive you for this, I'd musically condemn you with what I thought was Blue Hill Zone from chronicles Mr BHZ but then I remembered that it was actually called Blue Ridge and not Blue Hill.

I think it kind of sucks that they put all that effort into the Mario tunes but don't really do a lot for their own franchise. :/

I'd love to see more fresh interpretations of Sonic music. If they can do dubstep Buoy Base or a crazy Secret Slide, then I don't see why we can't get... IDK, a bluegrass Hill Top, or a proper metal version of Ice Cap.

I wouldn't mind but we all know Sonic music is better. :p

This always bugged me as well, from what I gathered playing the second game (the only one I own) you get new Sonic remixes for dream events based on that franchise but any of the unlockable remixes usable in any event always took straight from another Sonic game, meanwhile all the Mario tracks you also unlocked were made for the game.
I assume this approach carried on across the series for the most part hence why there's many spiffy Mario mixes and so few Sonic ones.
At least Generations gave many a remix.

Fuck, now I really want Bluegrass Hill Top.

Smash better deliver on the original Sonic mixes this time.

I'm sure they will, Sonic's remix devoid music selection in Brawl is almost certainly because of him being a late addition into the game well after the point where the numerous composers had thrown in their various bits and pieces, I think even the Angel Island track was taken from somewhere else and not made for Brawl.
What i'm hoping for Sonic is that this time there's more stage themes and less lyrical main themes, the terrifying moment a CD pickup unlocks Seven Rings in Hand is not one I want to relive.

Sciz

Mostly I'm hoping that SSB4's music has better quality control. #BringBackAndo

I think even the Angel Island track was taken from somewhere else and not made for Brawl.

Naw, that's new for Brawl. Labeled as such on True Blue, even.
It's also missing all the subtleties of the original, but that's a rant for another day.

edit: christ, OCR's Sonic CD album is a mess. Third disc is okay, but the first two are terrible. I used to look forward to these megaprojects, but somehow they keep getting worse and worse.

Sciz

If you're going to post an atrocity like that, you leave me with no choice but to top it.

SonicGAF's Song(s) of the Day - #64

Songs: Puzzle Game, Versus Game, Victory Theme
Game: Sonic Eraser
Composer: Masaru Setsumaru

It's Obscure Sonic Music Theatre time again!
Quality control not guaranteed

This is the music of Sonic Eraser. All of it. The game was released exclusively for Sega's Japan-only game download service in 1991 for the dual purposes of proving that they were fifteen years ahead of the rest of the industry and that they weren't above whoring out their new mascot as quickly and shamelessly as possible. The result is that there isn't much music, for technical reasons, and that it's a case study in how not to write for FM, for "gave the job to a brand new hire" reasons. Puzzle Game is an exercise in writing a basic bassline and then throwing effects at it to see what sticks (answer: none of it). Victory Theme is actually a decent little ditty whose worst crime is being grating in that Spinball way.

And then there's Versus Game.

BONG
BONG
BONG BONG BONG BONG BONG

Mostly I'm hoping that SSB4's music has better quality control. #BringBackAndo
Naw, that's new for Brawl. Labeled as such on True Blue, even.
It's also missing all the subtleties of the original, but that's a rant for another day.
I always thought it was just taken from that album, well the more you know.

edit: christ, OCR's Sonic CD album is a mess. Third disc is okay, but the first two are terrible. I used to look forward to these megaprojects, but somehow they keep getting worse and worse.
Not that I've listened to this one yet but quantity over quality does seem to be a thing these days.
That said I found the stronger parts of the DKC3 one to be pretty swanky but then again I would.

bYzzjmr.gif
You're a crazy, crazy man Mr Hog.

If you're going to post an atrocity like that, you leave me with no choice but to top it.

SonicGAF's Song(s) of the Day - #64

Songs: Puzzle Game, Versus Game, Victory Theme
Game: Sonic Eraser
Composer: Masaru Setsumaru
Immediate first thought is what kind of name is Sonic Eraser?!

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #65

Song: Tropical Coast Zone 1
Game: Sonic Lost World
Composer: Tomoya Ohtani
Brass Arranged by: Takeshi Watanabe

Steelpan: Yoshihiro Harada
1st Trumpet: Yusuke Nakano
2nd Trumpet: Teppei Kawakami
Trombone: Makoto Igarashi
Alto Saxophone: Kei Suzuki
Tenor Saxophone: Naoya Takemura
Electric Guitars: Susumu Nishikawa
Electric Bass: Akinori Yamada

Dat production quality. I mentioned before that Watanabe had also done brass arrangements for Rhythm Thief, and it turns out that it shares three of the performers here as well. It shows; compare 1:10 here to the intro in LAST DANCE. In general, Ohtani seems to have enjoyed getting to stretch his wings in that game, because it's one of the bigger influences on Lost World's music, along with Kumatani and Tokoi's work on Unleashed and Yokota's Galaxy 1 tracks. Small wonder that the OST is named Without Boundaries.

This piece in particular was one of the pleasant surprises I ran across while listening through the OST (available now on iTunes), as one of the better tracks I wasn't already familiar with from gameplay videos. The instrumentation certainly starts with Mario's beach themes as a jumping off point, but as is usual for Sega, the arrangement sounds nothing at all like what Nintendo would produce. You may have noticed a slight focus on brass, and Ohtani's percussion is still unparalleled. As much as the series has no specific musical style from game to game, there's still some hard-to-define quality that's been maintained all these years that screams, "This is Sonic music!" and sets it apart, even in a soundtrack as eclectic as this one.

PKrockin

Should I give Tales of Xillia a shot? That deal is tempting.

$20, right? Go for it. I thought it was a pretty good Tales game, a good entry for newcomers, and others' impressions seem good as well.

Speaking of JRPGs at Gamestop, I laughed when I saw their ad mark Xenoblade down to $40... from $70.

TheOGB

Banned

Dat production quality. I mentioned before that Watanabe had also done brass arrangements for Rhythm Thief, and it turns out that it shares three of the performers here as well. It shows; compare 1:10 here to the intro in LAST DANCE. In general, Ohtani seems to have enjoyed getting to stretch his wings in that game, because it's one of the bigger influences on Lost World's music, along with Kumatani and Tokoi's work on Unleashed and Yokota's Galaxy 1 tracks. Small wonder that the OST is named Without Boundaries.

This piece in particular was one of the pleasant surprises I ran across while listening through the OST (available now on iTunes), as one of the better tracks I wasn't already familiar with from gameplay videos. The instrumentation certainly starts with Mario's beach themes as a jumping off point, but as is usual for Sega, the arrangement sounds nothing at all like what Nintendo would produce. You may have noticed a slight focus on brass, and Ohtani's percussion is still unparalleled. As much as the series has no specific musical style from game to game, there's still some hard-to-define quality that's been maintained all these years that screams, "This is Sonic music!" and sets it apart, even in a soundtrack as eclectic as this one.
The first time I heard this song I started jonesin' for a Sonic Rush Adventure continuation to get more awesome tropical island music like this. Really, it was a mix of wanting to see Marine again, wanting a new Sonic made just for the 3DS, and really enjoying the song.

Razzer

Honestly I think it is that percussion plus the bass that makes sonic music different. Even in a slower piece like this they are full of energy. In modern sonic often it is full on drum and bass so it's not surprising. And the older mega drive stuff has a very dancey feel to it. I guess that if most vgm is inspired by a genre of music sonic is inspired by another would be how I define it.

Should I give Tales of Xillia a shot? That deal is tempting.
Not that i'm the best person on hand to help seeing as I've only put a few hours into it but from what I can gather it's another Tales game that does all the usual Tales stuff to a solid level. I can't remember if you were the one in here a few months ago who mentioned never having played an entry in the series but were intrigued to try, if you were then in that case I'd say it'd be a good one to start with, seems like it was designed to gather up a larger audience in a few ways.

*snip*

I'm glad you said this because that's kind of the feeling I got from both this theme and my preferred choice of Juice Archipelago, preferred because it has the accordion of course.

It's funny thinking back to around the time of Lost World's release where I recall some people getting access to a stream that was going through 3-1 at the time and there was a few reacting to the stage theme like it was the second coming of Sonic Chronicles, boo to them I say.

I've been playing 3D world for the past two days and for all the praise that's given to that soundtrack I think I'm liking Lost World's more on the whole, of course there's still time for a turn around.

Not gonna lie, I expected to hear the Mario theme start up at any point during this.

The percussion has that classic Sonic attitude that I love though.

Dario ff

Banned
I've been playing 3D world for the past two days and for all the praise that's given to that soundtrack I think I'm liking Lost World's more on the whole, of course there's still time for a turn around.
They used the best songs for 3D world on the trailers. I was very excited for the 3D World Music rips to come out, but it turns out the best songs are the ones they already showed...
Except for dat Galaxy remix.

Sciz

They used the best songs for 3D world on the trailers. I was very excited for the 3D World Music rips to come out, but it turns out the best songs are the ones they already showed...
Except for dat Galaxy remix.

Yeah. It's all pleasant enough, but it peaks with Athletic 1, and the rest largely comes off as being like the lower-grade tracks in Galaxy 1.

Yokota can write incredible music, but he's not part of that very select club of people who can handle writing an entire soundtrack on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom