• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even those playable level demos would be great. Though I believe more will be found at SOME point...

The Nick Arcade beta of Sonic 2 was found after sooooooooooo many years of searching. 2006 I think? Anything is possible. Eventually, the Sonic Retro community (or some other rich, dedicated Sonic fans) will get their hands on X-treme. I'm sure of it.

The other holy grail is the Sonic 1 beta:

sonic1beta06aulxg.jpg
sonic1alpha0111x59.jpg

Sonic 1 alpha/beta find would be the holy grail of betas, maybe until a beta Mario Bros 1 NES is discovered if possible, but Sonic seems to be the biggest change from early shots to release for what we know.

The announcement earlier was for Sonic Dash on android, it's an alright endless runner. When it was first released on iOS it was really bare bones but the current version has a lot of little things added in.

I assume a Super Mario World beta would be more interesting... not sure how much SMB1 would've changed, but SMW changed quite a bit from promotional screenshots.

I find it hella cool that the Taxman port of Sonic 1 actually has those UFOs in Marble Zone's debug mode. Cool stuff.

Interestingly the java port of Sonic 1 mobile years ago also had the UFO's in memory but scaled down (the java version shrank everything a little bit so it's not the original sprite detail)

No idea if Taxman's Sonic 1 uses a fan made sprite or official sega stuff but it's a great easter egg to keep in there, Sega let taxman make Sonic 1 with 2 and 3 item boxes and super sonic, not many game companies would be so open about their main mascot games being ported and rebuilt.

I assume a Super Mario World beta would be more interesting... not sure how much SMB1 would've changed, but SMW changed quite a bit from promotional screenshots.

ah yes forgot about this, would be really interesting if there was a playable with the different world map and such.

BlackJace

screen568x568.jpeg

So yeah, mobile games can be a good time when they're not bastardized, in-app purchase infested pieces of garbage.

I'd really recommend this to anyone who's a fan of turn based strategy, it's only $1.99.

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #62

Song: Cyber Track Act 2
Game: Sonic Advance 3
Composer: Kenichi Tokoi

Hmm, an interesting one for sure. Certainly it sounds unique, so I would be entertained whilst playing the level by the novelty. Whether it's something I could listen to again and again I'm not as sure. Still, the tempo keeps it intense, which is nice.

BlackJace

Any guesses as to what the third game is for the Sega-Ninty deal? Lost World failed I suppose, and I haven't heard stellar things about Sochi Olympics.

They must have something out of the norm if they've been keeping it quiet.

Anth0ny

Any guesses as to what the third game is for the Sega-Ninty deal? Lost World failed I suppose, and I haven't heard stellar things about Sochi Olympics.

EAD Tokyo's second game they've been developing behind the scenes.

Rikkun

Nintendo-developed Sonic game? That'd be different.

First reaction I had reading your post:

No please. They forgot how to do proper 2D platformers with tight controls over the years.

But I wouldn't want to be recognized as the guy who doesn't like XYZ. Also, some people like Kirby... Not to say they enjoy ugly games. But putting Nintendo on the label might push the sales into outer space (for Sonic standards)

Razzer

No please. They forgot how to do proper 2D platformers with tight controls over the years.

But I wouldn't want to be recognized as the guy who doesn't like XYZ. Also, some people like Kirby... Not to say they enjoy ugly games. But putting Nintendo on the label might push the sales into outer space (for Sonic standards)

Well it wouldn't necessarily be 2D, it could be 3D, which they have a great track record with. Also EAD Tokyo would be the ones making it in this hypothetical so you can trust them to produce quality.

Honestly it would be cool seeing how a team that has spent so long making Mario games would approach making Sonic, it's an inherently different kind of platformer.

BlackJace

Are we talking about the same Nintendo?

Rikkun

Well it wouldn't necessarily be 2D, it could be 3D, which they have a great track record with. Also EAD Tokyo would be the ones making it in this hypothetical so you can trust them to produce quality.

Honestly it would be cool seeing how a team that has spent so long making Mario games would approach making Sonic, it's an inherently different kind of platformer.

I don't know.

Really.

What do you think it would be like? The first image that popped in my mind was Sonic Adventure 2. Maybe that's why I'm not happy with the idea.

But maybe it's just because it's 5am and I can't
blast
process the idea.

Are we talking about the same Nintendo?

Yes. Not counting Retro, which might be unfair, their output consist in.. the NSMB series? I don't know why but it always felt like something was missing.

Fair warning: I find Kirby boring, I still have to play NSMB2 and SM3DW and I'm going to bed happy because I just finished downloading the Tearaway demo.

BlackJace

I don't know.

Really.

What do you think it would be like? The first image that popped in my mind was Sonic Adventure 2. Maybe that's why I'm not happy with the idea.

But maybe it's just because it's 5am and I can't
blast
process the idea.

Yes. Not counting Retro, which might be unfair, their output consist in.. the NSMB series? I don't know why but it always felt like something was missing.

Fair warning: I find Kirby boring, I still have to play NSMB2 and SM3DW and I'm going to bed happy because I just finished downloading the Tearaway demo.

Well yeah, it is kind of unfair to leave retro out. And could you explain up why you think they don't have tight gameplay in their platformers? Of all of the dumb stuff Nintendo does, one thing they constantly get right is their platformers, especially 2D.

Noi

Tried out Sonic Dash just now.

...Good lord, why does no company just copy Jetpack Joyride on how to do a good F2P game? I'm not gonna feel compelled to buy anything the base game is so terrible, unreliable, and price things so ridicilously high.

jax

Banned
So what's with all the Lost World 3DS hate? I bought it and am thought enjoying it. It might be my favorite Sonic game in recent years.

Dario ff

Banned

My guess is that it's the next mainline Sonic 2014/5 title, kind of in the same vein as we got Generations an year later than Colors. It's the only reason I can imagine them keeping quiet about it. It would make more sense with the fact that a big chunk of the Generations staff didn't work on Lost World at all (according to someone that did a cross-check on the credits, I haven't checked myself).

If what other people hinted at is true, and Sega can't really justify funding these Sonic games on their own, they might just have to keep at being exclusive deals. I guess it depends on how much the Nintendo moneyhat covered. Either that or start lowering the budget/expectations, which is what I wish they'd do with my next answer...

Nintendo-developed Sonic game? That'd be different.
In this case, I'd rather see something developed by Ubisoft Montpellier, or something in the same style. If Sega needs to lower expectations/budget, then a Rayman Legends-style reboot or spinoff is something I'd love to see.

The sad difference is that the Ubisoft team is probably far above whatever technical achievements Sonic Team could do. This is probably a big factor as to how these people get so much good content/polishing/playtesting done, while Sonic Team's current pipeline for doing levels probably requires a lot more of work. I can't even begin to imagine how much more work it took to do those cylinder levels in Lost World, especially when it comes to object placement. There's no easy tweaking involved in that.

That and Sonic Team either licenses a lot of middleware that they don't implement properly (Havok Physics/Animation, Criware Packs/Audio, Particle Software, which we all found a lot of bugs caused by bad implementation), or reuses old stuff from even before Sonic '06. I don't even want to go in at how horrible the animation format is for that... It was even used in Sonic 4: Episode 2, and boy, did it make it hard to modify that game.* The only stuff they don't license at the moment is probably just the Hedgehog Engine, and even then, they don't even have the Technical Director of that thing anymore, as he went to work for Square Enix.

did the NPD data for Socho even came out yet?
I've found that adding the Miiverse community numbers across all regions for each game tends to end up with a fairly rough estimate as to how well a game did. It's no sales data, but it's useful regardless. At the moment, Sochi's got a bit less than half the people of Lost World Miiverse across all regions. EDIT: You kidding me? The Miiverse update today got rid of the numbers! LOL

*: And I'm a bit sorry that my Classic Sonic mod for it ended up with some unfixable animations bug, but that thing is beyond frustrating to work with to justify any more time with it. It's just very incompetent by industry standards, and the Dimps hardcoding doesn't help.

Rikkun

Well yeah, it is kind of unfair to leave retro out. And could you explain up why you think they don't have tight gameplay in their platformers? Of all of the dumb stuff Nintendo does, one thing they constantly get right is their platformers, especially 2D.

Don't get me wrong, those are great games! But there's something that doesn't click to me. I still have to complete NSMBU, I tried NSLU and it was ok, I found it a little more interesting because of the time limit trying to make you rush through the levels. Maybe it's the difficulty that bugs me. After all, you're never really harmed, you can walk your way out of pretty much every level. I know it gets harder if you have to search for every hidden coin...

Maybe the level design is so good that there isn't a badly placed series of platforms? Maybe I just grew up with the wrong games :)

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #63

Song: Chao Karate
Game: Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Composer: Uncertain; best guess is Senoue due to similarities with Gumball Bonus and At Dawn

This one keeps throwing me off because, as noted above, it has snippets of other songs in it, and whenever they come up I expect it to go in a different direction than it does. It's still mostly original material though, and I like what I hear. The heavy drums and traditional Japanese stylings blend well with the more Sonic Adventure 1 styled instrumentation. Cool, cute, and tense.

BlackJace

Don't get me wrong, those are great games! But there's something that doesn't click to me. I still have to complete NSMBU, I tried NSLU and it was ok, I found it a little more interesting because of the time limit trying to make you rush through the levels. Maybe it's the difficulty that bugs me. After all, you're never really harmed, you can walk your way out of pretty much every level. I know it gets harder if you have to search for every hidden coin...

Maybe the level design is so good that there isn't a badly placed series of platforms? Maybe I just grew up with the wrong games :)

Fair enough, I hope I didn't come off as too agressive :p

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #63

Song: Chao Karate
Game: Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Composer: Uncertain; best guess is Senoue due to similarities with Gumball Bonus and At Dawn

This one keeps throwing me off because, as noted above, it has snippets of other songs in it, and whenever they come up I expect it to go in a different direction than it does. It's still mostly original material though, and I like what I hear. The heavy drums and traditional Japanese stylings blend well with the more Sonic Adventure 1 styled instrumentation. Cool, cute, and tense.

Man, it would always piss me off when your chao would fall asleep.

HE JUST KICKED YOU IN THE FACE! ARE YOU GONNA LET HIM GET AWAY WITH THAT! I DIDN'T RAISE A WUSS!

Sciz

So far...I'm finding the Lost World soundtrack pretty pedestrian. Nothing really stands out right now but I'm sure my opinion will change.

Still picking through it, but this is probably a side effect of Ohtani writing everything. There's one lonely Hataya track, Eguchi did all the cutscenes and helped with orchestrations, and Minobe pitched in a few times for arrangement assistance, but this is otherwise a one-man show.

edit: ...the OST version of Windy Hill 1 has the extension from Mario & Sonic. Or rather, I guess the Mario & Sonic mix is this version with the middle loop edited out and the tempo lowered. But why isn't this actually in Lost World? I don't think we've heard a song have this much content cut from the in-game mix since Emerald Coast.

edit2: also, lots of Takeshi Watanabe arranging the brass, which explains why this keeps reminding me of Rhythm Thief, where he had the same role.

Rikkun

Fair enough, I hope I didn't come off as too agressive :p
No no don't worry, I'm always cautious because of mi bad englando, hopefully I didn't :p
Man, it would always piss me off when your chao would fall asleep.

HE JUST KICKED YOU IN THE FACE! ARE YOU GONNA LET HIM GET AWAY WITH THAT! I DIDN'T RAISE A WUSS!

SonicGAF loves Chao Garden, right?

Not gonna say how I hated it.

I'm currently replaying SASRT (is this the correct name? The last Racing game anyway) thanks to the PS+ on my Vita and it's really good, gameplay-wise looks the same as the one I got on Steam.

Graphically it looks better. Fuck my PC :(

Still picking through it, but this is probably a side effect of Ohtani writing everything. There's one lonely Hataya track, Eguchi did all the cutscenes and helped with orchestrations, and Minobe pitched in a few times for arrangement assistance, but this is otherwise a one-man show.
Had a feeling this was it. For the record, what was the last game composed solely by one person?

EDIT: Woah, Lost World's track listing is weird with its naming. There's no Desert Ruins - Zone 2 or Zone 3; they're called Honeycomb Highway and Sugar Lane, and it's like that for every Zone.

Jesus, not even the official soundtrack knows what it wants to be!

qq more

Jesus, not even the official soundtrack knows what it wants to be!

:lol so true

but yeah while I enjoy LW's OST, I do feel it's lacking compared to most Sonic soundtracks... I mean I don't feel that it's bad or anything (as there are a bunch of songs I really really like), but there's just something about the total package that doesn't feel right, I'm not sure what it is.

Sciz

Had a feeling this was it. For the record, what was the last game composed solely by one person?

Sonic 4 is the Senoue Show top to bottom. Before that is Shadow being like 75% him with most of the rest being Minobe (c.f. 60% of Heroes and SA2, and 50% of SA1, counting some Kumatani and Tokoi collabs in all cases).

Other notables include Naganuma writing virtually all of Rush (with Nakagawa doing the Blaze mixes), Maki Morrow writing Sonic the Fighters (collaborating with Mitsuyoshi on just three tracks and borrowing three more from VF2 or something), Jacques soloing Sonic R and 3D Blast Saturn, Nilsen writing Sonic CD (in a month!), Nakamura writing Sonic 1 and 2, and Koshiro doing everything for 8-bit Sonic 1 that wasn't pulled from Nakamura's stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom