• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quackula

Sonic's accelerates so quick... I would really love to see someone getting their hands on a proto of the game and dump it for the internet to play but after all these years of nothing, it's probably unlikely...

I don't know, you'd be surprised at how often prototypes pop up out of nowhere. I mean a few years back we managed to get a dump of the Game Boy Color port of Resident Evil after all.

The issue is basically that many prototype collectors are reluctant to dump what they have because undumped prototypes are worth a ton more. This is especially true if they bought the prototype at market value, dumping it for the public makes it less likely that they'll be able to make that investment back when they resell. This is why you sometimes see those fundraising drives.

It's also a really hush hush community, people who actually own the really rare and sought after stuff aren't likely to make it actually known that they own it. Often people buy and sell anonymously through third parties, etc etc.

So yeah in a nutshell I wouldn't discount a Sonic X-Treme proto showing up online someday.

qq more

^ I suppose... but for how much longer I wonder? Hopefully when we're all still alive lol

In other news:
1456630_10152072981861796_1597842750_n.jpg

...This is gonna be Sonic Dash on Android announcement, isn't it? I just want Sonic 2 remastered so I can play the definite version of Sonic 2 on the Shield!

qq more

...yep it's Sonic Dash, the devs are retweeting that pic

dang...

I was literally looking up to see any recent info on Sonic 2's remastered port right before knowing about this tease. :(

Riffled

Banned
It's been a couple of pages, but I gotta say I always really found Emerald Hill really bland. Like probably the blandest of Sonic 2 (aside from Hill Top maybe) and one of rthe blandest of overall all Classic Sonic games.

It's like a poorer Green Hill, in stage layout, color palette and music....Green Hill left a much bigger impression.

Sciz

Seriously, what exactly is that thing that Sonic's eyes are in?

It's the Android logo.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #61

Song: Bad Taste Aquarium ...for Hot Shelter
Game: Sonic Adventure
Composer: Jun Senoue

The intro to this piece has a heavily distorted guitar simulating a klaxon. That's badass.

Not Senoue's best work - although the slower pacing does suit the Amy/Big/Gamma trio that plays the level - but it still blows away most of what he's written since on a production level. It's got that wailing Sonic 4 synth in it and it still sounds good, thanks to superior mixing that keeps it from overwhelming the guitar and brass.

BHZ Mayor

It's the Android logo.

The intro to this piece has a heavily distorted guitar simulating a klaxon. That's badass.

Not Senoue's best work - although the slower pacing does suit the Amy/Big/Gamma trio that plays the level - but it still blows away most of what he's written since on a production level. It's got that wailing Sonic 4 synth in it and it still sounds good, thanks to superior mixing that keeps it from overwhelming the guitar and brass.

So Jun Senoue's been killing these poor cats since 1999? Sick, just sick!

qq more

I actually feel Sonic Adventure's OST in general is actually Jun's best work. A lot of nice variety of songs and they're just all so badass. I have a hard time picking a favorite from that game, which says a lot.

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #61[/B]

Aww, yeah, more SA1 goodness. I genuinely love this piece, the opening guitar is just awesome. It's the bizarre combinations of instruments that does it in a lot of Jun's work that makes him shine, and no different here. Once you get into the middle of the piece it isn't quite as exciting but it keeps up a good tempo. And yes, the klaxon guitar is badass.

It's the Android logo.

Dang it, why did you have to make a connection to Sonic 4. :( Now I can't unhear the cats.

Intro is really good, though.

I don't know, you'd be surprised at how often prototypes pop up out of nowhere. I mean a few years back we managed to get a dump of the Game Boy Color port of Resident Evil after all.

The issue is basically that many prototype collectors are reluctant to dump what they have because undumped prototypes are worth a ton more. This is especially true if they bought the prototype at market value, dumping it for the public makes it less likely that they'll be able to make that investment back when they resell. This is why you sometimes see those fundraising drives.

It's also a really hush hush community, people who actually own the really rare and sought after stuff aren't likely to make it actually known that they own it. Often people buy and sell anonymously through third parties, etc etc.

So yeah in a nutshell I wouldn't discount a Sonic X-Treme proto showing up online someday.

We've already had at least one Sonic X-treme proto show up, actually

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW_Pd-PTAtM

Refyref

I've been replaying Sonic Adventure on Steam after a long time that I haven't touched it, and the soundtrack is rather good. I think I prefer it to most other Sonic soundtracks of that period. Although that might be due to the fact that I like instrumental tracks more than ones that have vocals, which Sonic games started using a little frequently after Adventure 2.

Speaking of the game itself, it's pretty fun, more than I remembered. I could do without the hub between levels, though.

I think this might be my first post here, so hi.

Dang it, why did you have to make a connection to Sonic 4. :( Now I can't unhear the cats.

Intro is really good, though.
Funny, when Generations' soundtrack leaked and I heard Crisis City - Act 1 for the first time, the first thing I imagined hearing the guitar riffs was a bunch of cats meowing and head-banging to the music.

Refyref

As far as I know, no version of X-treme was in development enough time to allow for any real content. At the most they had a few levels that were dedicated to show the game in action. But I'm likely forgetting something.

Really? I swear I've seen you around here before. I'm probably just mixing it up with SmashGAF, though.

I'm pretty sure I never posted in SmashGAF as well...

I probably shouldn't be dragging this back up, but despite the claims you can send PMs to three mods at once, I've only ever been able to do 1 at a time.

I'm pretty sure I never posted in SmashGAF as well...
Well, now I'm really confused.

I know I follow you on Twitter, but I swear I see you regularly on GAF somewhere, too, and can't place where.

Wait wait wait wait wait. We've got the title for the third thread all wrong.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT CD|

possibly with a "STRANGE, ISN'T IT?" subtitle

Anth0ny

As far as I know, no version of X-treme was in development enough time to allow for any real content. At the most they had a few levels that were dedicated to show the game in action. But I'm likely forgetting something.

Even those playable level demos would be great. Though I believe more will be found at SOME point...

The Nick Arcade beta of Sonic 2 was found after sooooooooooo many years of searching. 2006 I think? Anything is possible. Eventually, the Sonic Retro community (or some other rich, dedicated Sonic fans) will get their hands on X-treme. I'm sure of it.

The other holy grail is the Sonic 1 beta:

sonic1beta06aulxg.jpg
sonic1alpha0111x59.jpg

In the thread where the Master System music for Marble Zone was found, drx mentioned he had his sights on a beta of the first Master System game where the connections to the Genesis title were a bit more than just three zones (Green Hill, Labyrinth and Scrap Brain). No idea how hot the trail was, just that he was looking into it.

That'd be interesting to have, though, particularly if Marble Zone wasn't cut.

Quackula

It was.

It's also absurdly barebones; all you do is run around a field that you can barely interact with. Barely more than a proof-of-concept. Still nice to have.

Didn't realize that one was released to the public.

Still though...

well yeah Anth0ny covered what I wanted to say.

Not Sonic-related, but personally, the "holy grail" proto I'd love to see is Twelve Tales: Conker 64. The happy, pre-Bad Fur Day version of Conker 64. Apparently someone out there does have it.

Zen

Banned
Starting off with a loaded phrase like "hive mind" is generally a poor idea, however much you feel it applies.

It was suppose to be blunt and ironic. I criticized games journalism for using loaded phrases for clicks. I made sure to diffuse it somewhat in the first sentence... which under have of the respondents apparently read.

Shrug

Refyref

Even those playable level demos would be great. Though I believe more will be found at SOME point...

Ah, yes, obviously. The more there is available, the better, especially when talking about an unreleased game such as this. I'm just saying, don't expect too much content or polish once some of this content will be released, since the game had a pretty troubled development and was canned relatively early in the content creation.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #62

Song: Cyber Track Act 2
Game: Sonic Advance 3
Composer: Kenichi Tokoi

For all the flak that Advance 3 rightfully gets, it made a decent effort to mix up the usual platformer level tropes. The digital theme is still more uncommon than you'd expect in this day and age, perhaps because coming up with appropriate hazards isn't the easiest thing unless you're designing a MMBN game. Sonic played around with it three times between Advance 2, 3, and Shadow, and we got some nifty music out of it each time. Of the three Cyber Base tracks I like Act 2's arrangement in particular, but it's fun to go through all three and listen to how the music becomes progressively more unhinged. It could use the sort of instrumentation upgrade Emerald Beach got in Generations though, or the three stage 1 tracks in Mario & Sonic; like so many other Advance tracks, the organ sounds great, but the rest hasn't aged well.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #62

Song: Cyber Track Act 2
Game: Sonic Advance 3
Composer: Kenichi Tokoi

For all the flak that Advance 3 rightfully gets, it made a decent effort to mix up the usual platformer level tropes. The digital theme is still more uncommon than you'd expect in this day and age, perhaps because coming up with appropriate hazards isn't the easiest thing unless you're designing a MMBN game. Sonic played around with it three times between Advance 2, 3, and Shadow, and we got some nifty music out of it each time. Of the three Cyber Base tracks I like Act 2's arrangement in particular, but it's fun to go through all three and listen to how the music becomes progressively more unhinged. It could use the sort of instrumentation upgrade Emerald Beach got in Generations though, or the three stage 1 tracks in Mario & Sonic; like so many other Advance tracks, the organ sounds great, but the rest hasn't aged well.
That's... really something. Don't really want to bash it, but it signed like someone just put a keyboard into a blender or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom