• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't even remember what all I've said about DKC1 at this point, though the summary probably reads something like "2D Sonic Heroes".
Sounds about right. I wouldn't be that harsh, but it sounds kinda accurate.

Put all those scraping metal/cat orgy sounding tracks from the otherworld segments of Silent Hill onto a CD and blast that in the car.

I'm a metalhead and my girlfriend's into j-pop and stuff. I don't think there's any overlap possible outside of a couple of terrible gimmick bands.
Some of the otherworld Silent Hill tracks are actually good, though. But he's never played a Silent Hill game or listened to any Yamaoka tunes so it'd be weird and I'd probably get confused looks thrown in my direction.

Dream Theater! I know they're prog metal and stuff, but Dream Theater might be the most bearable for someone with pop-leanings. Otherwise, I think some of the music differences might be something you might have to accept in the end. It makes for a more interesting time. Just don't push your girlfriend into liking something because she's not going to like it.

completely off topic but why is it snowing with giant flakes

holy shit
How big are we talking, here? Door-sized? Are they as big as a car?!

It did affect me, I thought we were all united in wonderful VG music but then I was blind sided by these shady dealings between the treacherous two, I didn't want to believe so I raced back to Sonic Gaf only to discover everyone was in on this diabolical scheme and broke me, et tu Schala? and then I died...on the inside.

Okay so maybe it wasn't that dramatic, but I can't let it slide, what if i'd said back last week that I thought Sonic Unleashed had a poopy soundtrack with no melody, would you forgive me? you know you wouldn't, let's not forget that I was placed on the judgement stand for saying that while I liked the soundtrack I thought it had a different feel to it than the more standard Sonic fare, I would be burned at the Nocturne stake if I went beyond that! fortunately such measures need not be taken.
Game Soundtrack GAF is serious business, none of you want to mess with this musical madness, if the thread ever starts up it will be the end of us all.
Tsk. I'm not going to change my stance on the DKC soundtracks, like ever. It's something you're gonna have to deal with, owl. We're all united in some ways, just not that way!

I dunno, I feel like a lot of people don't treat game soundtracks like serious business like some of us do, lol. I guess that's why if a VGM thread were to get made, it wouldn't go off the ground with a ton of posts like the list threads do!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462147
Turns out it was Top 50 but the tally goes further.
How in the world did I miss this? Feels bad, man.

I would've voted. I would've voted for something cool.

The obvious solution, Schala, is to play music that neither of you would enjoy.
What... what did they even want to do with this theme here? None of the instruments are synching well at all.

Quackula

Dream Theater! I know they're prog metal and stuff, but Dream Theater might be the most bearable for someone with pop-leanings. Otherwise, I think some of the music differences might be something you might have to accept in the end. It makes for a more interesting time. Just don't push your girlfriend into liking something because she's not going to like it.

She tolerates it for the most part, and seems okay with a lot of proggy stuff. I know she doesn't mind Devin Townsend at all, so there's at least that. I don't think she'd ever like any of the death metal I like, don't really blame her I guess. I had a period where I was hoping I'd find something that just clicked with her and she'd start enjoying it, but that never happened and I've since stopped worrying about it. After 7 years I think we're doing fine.

Tsk. I'm not going to change my stance on the DKC soundtracks, like ever. It's something you're gonna have to deal with, owl. We're all united in some ways, just not that way!

poAqY.gif

I dunno, I feel like a lot of people don't treat game soundtracks like serious business like some of us do, lol. I guess that's why if a VGM thread were to get made, it wouldn't go off the ground with a ton of posts like the list threads do!
We get a mod on our side and name the thread "post your favourite VG music (no explanations required!)", and then all the users come flooding in, suddenly the Moderator in our pocket springs the trap and renames the thread to its community title and bam! they all have it in their subscriptions.

How in the world did I miss this? Feels bad, man.

I would've voted. I would've voted for something cool.
I'm sure you would have and in turn DKC2 would have reached greater heights.

Some of us take our VGM music very seriously but don't have a good way of expressing it very well, I thinks. And Schala, why you be hatin' good music...=(

Side note: Wreck it Ralph was awesome (Yes I finally saw it) and I want sequel as long as the core 4 return.

The DKC games are amazing and y'all are busters if you're trash talking them. The only valid complaints I will accept are:

1. DKC1 does not have enough variety and uses palette swapped enemies and environments too frequently.
  2. DKC1's music is too atmospheric and not really listenable outside of setting ambiance for a level
  3. DKC2's levels are too often set in dark, murky locations.
  4. DKC3 is a mess of leftover ideas the team didn't think were good enough to include in DKC1 or 2, making it the worst of the trilogy for obvious reasons.

FUCK DKC Returns, though.

I listen to game music. :<

(Other favorite genres include classical and jazz; in the case of the latter, smooth jazz or whatever the hell Vince Guaraldi's work falls under is best)

I listen to game music primarily (see: my 8tracks mixtape), though I'm not too difficult to please outside of that stuff. As long as it's got a nice beat or a good melody, I'm in.

I just feel good, how are you doing, SonicGAF?

I've had a stiff neck for the last three days that won't go away. It has created this sleeping problem where I keep waking up every few hours at night and overall I end up over-sleeping waaaay too long. But given how poorly I've been sleeping since September, I don't really notice much of a difference.

I'm also worrying about some other smaller more personal life problems, but that's not something to share.

Noi

The DKC games are amazing and y'all are busters if you're trash talking them. The only valid complaints I will accept are:

1. DKC1 does not have enough variety and uses palette swapped enemies and environments too frequently.
  2. DKC1's music is too atmospheric and not really listenable outside of setting ambiance for a level
  4. DKC3 is a mess of leftover ideas the team didn't think were good enough to include in DKC1 or 2, making it the worst of the trilogy for obvious reasons.

FUCK DKC Returns, though.

So they aren't that great then. :V

I would call that an overexaggeration of DKCR's difficulty. Outside of the optional (and purposefully batshit insane hard) temple levels, it ain't that hard. It's far less guilty of trial-and-error bullshit than the first DKC. Hell, I went into that game expecting lots of that (going off of GAF impressions) and I was pleasantly confused by the end of it, because it was noticeably lacking.

Also that complaint about DKC1's music makes no sense. I don't think they lose marks for it being useless outside of the context it was created for.

Noi

Even with those problems they're better than most games made today.

This I can somewhat agree with, but only to a certain degree. There's a lot of games made today that I'd rather replay before the DKC trilogy.

Stuff like Ass Creed 3 though? nothankyou.png

As a sidenote: MG Rising is fuckin' awesome.

Schala is the reason Shawn lost his smile, I knew it!
Those crafty Canadians always messing up HBK!
Or is that the other way around?

2 being set in murky locations absolutely makes the game.
And ain't nothing wrong with listening to some atmospheric music when needed, that stuff is magic if you use it to accompany stuff like writing and drawing.

Itty Bitty Biters is one of my least liked stages but most of them telegraph their surprise appearances or pop put before you actually reach them, now if you're running through the stage as fast as you can then yeah, you're going to get caught out.
Bosses do suck (except Mangoruby) but i'll point out that the roll jump can skip out the waiting parts of the Mole Train.

If you want to complain about difficulty then Perilous Passage is the way forward.

Yeah, I can't really remember anything about DKCR's bosses either, besides the final boss being the latest in the long line of Eyerok clones. DKC had some awful bosses too, mind. It's a series tradition!

As a sidenote: MG Rising is fuckin' awesome.

:( Gotta wait until Friday.

Sciz

I'll give DKC credit for being just good enough to inspire controversy about just how good it actually is, even all these years later. It was the Call of Duty of its time.

Didn't have any real problems with DKCR outside of the general "boring enemies, pointless waggle" gripes, but I suspect going through the whole thing exclusively in co-op helped smooth over the rough edges.

Also that complaint about DKC1's music makes no sense. I don't think they lose marks for it being useless outside of the context it was created for.

There are two basic schools of thought regarding what constitutes good video game music. One says that it should set the mood and compliment the action (or lack thereof), while the other says that it's only truly good music if it does the above and also is memorable out of context. You'll never get the two sides to see eye-to-eye.

Kremlings suck, Rare's character design for those games was godawful for the most part. They did an all right job with the Kongs but I'm glad Retro threw out the Kremlings and the rest. The enemies in DKCR have so much more personality.

There are two basic schools of thought regarding what constitutes good video game music. One says that it should set the mood and compliment the action (or lack thereof), while the other says that it's only truly good music if it does the above and also is memorable out of context. You'll never get the two sides to see eye-to-eye.

Well it should be memorable, ideally, if not as music than at least by the atmosphere the player felt. But listenable out of context? That ain't a requirement.

It's Snow Barrel Blast.
Alright, i'm going to drop a possible lifeline, they knew what monster they created here and put in this shortcut.

DKCR. Though that wasn't the main reason I didn't care for it but still...

Not a DKC game.

Still the best game in the overall Donkey Kong series though. Well, it and DK94.

Oh I know that's what you meant, but like it or lump it Returns is part of the country canon, which is a good thing unlike Sonic 4 latching itself onto the end of previous greatness.

DK94, well I appreciate that it's pretty good but i'm not that much of a fan.

Alright, i'm going to drop a possible lifeline, they knew what monster they created here and put in this shortcut.

Thanks, finally got past it. I'd normally hate using something like that in a platformer... but fuck it, I just want to gt these snow levels over with.

Edit: Aaaand I died on the next level. I think I'm just going to stop for the day.

Yeah but at least Animal Antics is an optional stage, plus the only part that's really difficult is Squawks section combining both brambles and wind into a concoction of death.

Snow Barrel Blast is what i'd consider the hardest stage in DKC and it turns up as the first stage of world 4, it's one of those classic difficulty spikes.

Sciz

Well it should be memorable, ideally, if not as music than at least by the atmosphere the player felt. But listenable out of context? That ain't a requirement.

Congratulations, you're firmly on one side of the argument! I've occasionally been tempted to make a thread in Gaming on the subject, but it's basically a religious war and would only go down in flames.

Congratulations, you're firmly on one side of the argument! I've occasionally been tempted to make a thread in Gaming on the subject, but it's basically a religious war and would only go down in flames.

Am I? I feel like I'm not quite on either side. I didn't realise it was a hotly contested thing.

It's all subjective anyway. I doubt film fans try to compare original songs vs a proper score, which is kinda what comparing something like DKC1's soundtrack to, say, a Sonic game would be.

TheOGB

Banned
"Awesome" Dream/Terrible Idea:
Sonic & Knuckles/Black Knight/Shadow fusion sequel.
Sonic breakdancing swordplay, Knuckles beat 'em up, Shadow gunplay. Revengeance x Anarchy Reigns x Vanquish. Developed by Platinum.

I had the strangest dream last night; I saw the new Sonic game in production, and it was
a kart racer. Everyone was in tiny ass carts, and I remember Tails using his tails to make the kart fly. The track looked like one of the special stages, and Eggman was the announcer.

BHZ Mayor

Every single next gen rumor so far has made me cringe. If any of this stuff turns out true, it's looking like Wii U(after price drop/3D Mario)/PC next gen. Guess we'll know something more concrete later today, but it's not looking good.

Every single next gen rumor so far has made me cringe. If any of this stuff turns out true, it's looking like Wii U(after price drop/3D Mario)/PC next gen. Guess we'll know something more concrete later today, but it's not looking good.
Which one, specifically, are you talking about? I don't see any new ones in Gaming...

I'll admit Gaikai for PS3 BC is, well, kinda awful, and I don't like the idea of anti-used games in any console (since a large part of my library is pre-owned); is it one of those? Or is it the touch pad on the PS4 controller, which for some reason the people in Sonic Retro are up in arms over (I don't get it, myself; surely more inputs isn't a bad thing)?

BHZ Mayor

Which one, specifically, are you talking about? I don't see any new ones in Gaming...

I'll admit Gaikai for PS3 BC is, well, kinda awful, and I don't like the idea of anti-used games in any console (since a large part of my library is pre-owned); is it one of those? Or is it the touch pad on the PS4 controller, which for some reason the people in Sonic Retro are up in arms over (I don't get it, myself; surely more inputs isn't a bad thing)?

Always online, streaming BC, anti-used games, $429/529 price point, and the possibility of Sony charging for online multiplayer.

I haven't been following much of the rumours and speculation but soon all will be revealed as they say.
Well not all but i'm sure some questions will be put to rest, i'm more intrigued by the possible fallout of the event myself.
We either end up with a wonderful console of kings, saviour of the next gen or we get tremendous backlash.
Or maybe it realistically falls somewhere in the middle but no one will treat it like that, it can only be one of two extremes in GAF land!

aw shit, I missed a DKC2 discussion

Well, there's not really much to discuss. DKC2 is the best, it's better than your favorite platformer, it's music is godlike, and it has gaming's best collectibles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom