• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony CEO Jim Ryan says fans shouldn't expect to see PS5 exclusives launch on PC day one.

reinking

Gold Member
We also fully understand the importance of PS5 exclusive titles,” Ryan said. “PlayStation Studios’ main responsibility is to have people enjoy the game experience using the latest PlayStation. We are increasing the number of PS5-exclusive titles and staggering the release of the PC version.
I often have the opportunity to ask game fans for their opinions, and when I ask them about the time lag, they say that selling the PC version two or three years after the release of the PS version is accepted favorably

Translation: Have you seen what that is doing to our competition?

He also went on to say “…and when I ask them about the time lag, they say that selling the 3rd party console exclusive version two or three years after the release of the PS version is accepted favorably.” :messenger_winking:

Fabieter

For now.

It wasn’t that long ago that they were never going to charge for online play, never have a GamePass type service, and never put their big stuff on PC at all 👍

Where did they offically comment on that stuff? Not saying it isnt happening, but isnt prove it will be done.

Where did they offically comment on that stuff? Not saying it isnt happening, but isnt prove it will be done.

Maybe I should have been more clear but I was talking in terms of what their warriors were saying, it’s even happening now in this thread. Though it probably wouldn’t be hard to find them saying those things. Add day one games to PS+ tiers, another thing people swear is never coming but will.

For now.

It wasn’t that long ago that they were never going to charge for online play, never have a GamePass type service, and never put their big stuff on PC at all 👍
I don't know what it is about online forums and social media that just kills everyone's long term and short term memories. There has to be a term for this phenomenon.

maxresdefault.jpg

Katatonic

Sounds about right. In my experience, PC gaming has always been about playing games years after they release anyway. Even with an up to date PC, there always so many issues with games (including PC exclusives) that I'm almost never able to enjoy them properly til years later after I upgraded my rig. The sting of paying thousands and then getting frame drops is crushing.

DaGwaphics

For now.

Certainly nothing is ever written in stone. I do think they'll probably try and hang on to at least 6months or a year of exclusivity for as long as they can.

First-party games are super important when it comes to console players choosing a console. I don't think they have as much importance when it comes to console and PC. Sure, Sony can get a few more PS sales from players that primarily play on PC, but those players probably never buy anything outside those first-party games and don't subscribe to services. These aren't great PS customers at all.

True console players that play the majority of their games on PS and spend their money in their store and on their services is really the customers they want. The PC players with a PS5 on the side are almost worthless, outside being a nice statistic for the console sales chart.

DAHGAMING

Its ok Big Phil has PS5 as hes main setup so will still play them day 1, hes realy excited for the showcase next week aswell, stocked up on Monster Energy drink and Doritos and wearing hes Razer Kraken pink Kitty headset while watching with pissy pant excitement.

You are either a pirate of the high seas, or a Steam sale gentlemen.

Like spending all your money on the car, but can’t afford the gas.
...🧠...i have this analogy:

imagine buying the most expensive condom; makes your dick bigger, harder and last longer.

Now, you want to have sex not because of the joy of having sex but because you want to test your expensive condom.

nwUxzNL.gif

so, you dont see the value of the videogame itself but just how your hardware is running the game; you become hyper-aware of the performance.

ProtoByte

Good. The focus should be on tailoring these games to and making them as performant as possible on the PS5 and PS consoles going forward. You're only going to reach maximum quality that way. Which is why PS first party games are generally so good, and why Sony has this business.

I see Ryan is coming to his senses on this. It's probably because he can now see that the sales on PC aren't as high as they thought they would be.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Reading these comments make many of you look like cultists lmao
This is what other people(cultists) like to say but the reality is, we've seen the other side and it ain't pretty:

If you want to call people that are willing to support a hobby that is getting more and more difficult and expensive to develop for cultists or plastic box bullshit comments go right ahead. It's necessary and has already been proven to be.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The time game between PS and PC is already getting smaller. And Sony has no problem putting MLB on Xbox and Switch.

And don’t be surprised if all those GAAS games they got in development come to PC too day one.

Fredrik

And Jim shouldn't expect us to pay full price for some old ass game.
Tbh, nothing is optimal.
Console day 1 release means paying full price for a release without all QoL patches that will eventually arrive for free on PS+ Game Catalogue when the story has already been spoiled.
PC day 1, in 2-4 years, means paying too much for a relatively old game in need of patches which has had the story spoiled for a long time.
🤷‍♂️

Neofire

jim-ryan-2.jpg

In an interview with Famitsu (translated via ResetEra), Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) CEO Jim Ryan shot down the idea of PlayStation 5 (PS5) exclusive games also launching on PC from day one. Ryan says that the primary goal of console first-party games is to build the game for the PlayStation experience. He added that overall reactions from fans have been “favorable” when games arrive a couple of years after initial release.

Ryan’s comments come as Sony has been more open to porting its PlayStation exclusives to PC in recent years. In 2020, the company released Horizon Zero Dawn on PC, and it followed that up with the release of God of War in 2022.

His comments are likely to disappoint some PC gamers who have been hoping to play PlayStation exclusives without having to buy a PlayStation console. However, it’s clear that Sony is still committed to its console business, which continues to perform to great results.
If he knows what's good for the PlayStation brand he better not release those exclusives on the PC day one lol. Microsoft has been finding that out since the beginning of the Xbox one generation.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Sony's First Party Games will be split in the following:

Day 1 Multiplatform for the Show (obligated if Sony wants to keep the licence)

Day 1 Multiplatform for Destiny (Bungie is independent)

Day 1 Console and PC for GAAS. (Mainly to keep the best shot at having a successful player count and interest) The Last of Us 2: Factions fits this bill

Day 1 Console and months/years later the PC Port for the rest of the games.

How is this difficult to understand?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
"Nintendo should release Tears of Kingdom on PC day one"

Yes they should.
lol no, console companies are no way obligated to release on any platform that's not theirs.

If they drop a few games, well and good, but no one should expect those games or feel entitled to get them. (not saying you're).

Last edited:

Generic

lol no, console companies are no way obligated to release on any platform that's not theirs.

If they drop a few games, well and good, but no one should expect those games or feel entitled to get them. (not saying you're).
They aren't obligated to, but it would be great. You can't deny this.

What arguments he needs exactly? Nintendo have being doing this for ages and its working. Switch is a money making machine.
You think they will throw away their winning strategy to appease peasants with "great for the consumer" argument?
"Nintendo have being doing this for ages and its working. Switch is a money making machine."

Why should I care? I'm not Nintendo's shareholder.

Generic

This is what other people(cultists) like to say but the reality is, we've seen the other side and it ain't pretty:

If you want to call people that are willing to support a hobby that is getting more and more difficult and expensive to develop for cultists or plastic box bullshit comments go right ahead. It's necessary and has already been proven to be.
Ah yes because releasing games day 1 on PC would somehow undermine the hobby and make games more expensive to develop, despite them selling more. Also by my experience after years using this board, Sony fans are by far the most agressive and they think anyone who criticizes PlayStation is an evil Xbox owner.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
as long as whatever bungie is working on is a GaaS and will be on PC at least (most likely everything since only way these games make money), that's fine.

Kinda dipping out on the 1 player stuff these days anyways. Didn't finish last god of war, same with horizon and last of us remake. Hell only have Destiny installed at this point on my laptop.

Good move anyways.

Tams

They aren't obligated to, but it would be great. You can't deny this.

"Nintendo have being doing this for ages and its working. Switch is a money making machine."

Why should I care? I'm not Nintendo's shareholder.
Would it?

By having their own, profitable, ecosystem, Nintendo are far freer to experiment, take time, and do things their own way.

And this shows in the quality of the games they output.

On the other hand we have Xbox. Day One on PC and games like Redfall...

Kataploom

Gold Member
Consoles make them tremendous profit by allowing them to take a 30% cut from all games and dlc sold on the PS5. They would never want to risk that. That’s their Golden Goose.
Yeah I know, the argument was Nintendo makes more from hardware and first party than from third party cuts

Top Bottom