• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony following Microsofts recent Playbook, crossplay, back compat, PC releases and now MAU

Didn't Sony had BC since PS2 era ( the first one in console history ), then FF XI crossplay with PC players during PS2 era? Where is Sony following MS in these department?
It depends, Sega of japan let you play Mark II games on the Mark 3 (or whatever the ancestor of the SMS was over there), they had an adapter that let you run Master System games on the Genesis (the console had all the hardware and features to be backward compatible), the Gameboy Color had it too.

There are plenty of valid examples of backward compatibility in the world of consoles - none of them is as bad as the Microsoft implementation in therms of actual compatibility (I like the enhancements, but you can't just take an og xbox or 360 disk and put it in expecting it to work, the large majority will not work at all).

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
They are with a lot of things and have been for a while now, even the always online thing from 2013.
One should lead from a position of strength and by example, the former doesn't apply to Microsoft but I give them credit for innovation all-around.

PlayStation plays it safe and sticks to what works, it's smart business, less risk for them and if it's successful you do the same.
In the past it was what that defined Sony as a brand - innovation and was often a success story, there's still innovation in every? sector but the market itself is different from the 90's.
Always-online would still alienate some gamers today and have some backlash. I know I wouldn't buy a console that always needed a connection

Shin

Banned
There's where the saying can't please everyone comes in.
A person or company could do everything perfect (figure of speech and unrelated), but someone or some people would still be discontent.
I wouldn't be surprised if people's computers, smartphones, tablets or even consoles are always online, that's just where we are in the modern world.

It's good to draw a line somewhere as to what you accept or don't, in the end it accounts for nothing and company run with what they think we want.
Samsung above all else comes to mind with their bullshit QLED, gazillion camera's on phones, fold-able phones doing the same shit clamshells were in the 90's but passing it as innovation.
More the reasons we need every company to succeed because it gives us as consumers options/choice, if they don't want to listen then they'll just have to feel - all of them.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
There's where the saying can't please everyone comes in.
A person or company could do everything perfect (figure of speech and unrelated), but someone or some people would still be discontent.
I wouldn't be surprised if people's computers, smartphones, tablets or even consoles are always online, that's just where we are in the modern world.

It's good to draw a line somewhere as to what you accept or don't, in the end it accounts for nothing and company run with what they think we want.
Samsung above all else comes to mind with their bullshit QLED, gazillion camera's on phones, fold-able phones doing the same shit clamshells were in the 90's but passing it as innovation.
More the reasons we need every company to succeed because it gives us as consumers options/choice, if they don't want to listen then they'll just have to feel - all of them.
Yeah I'm big on game preservation and ownership so I'd never support it. There are also a lot of other physical gamers too, too many for these console manufacturers to try always-online again next generation

phil_t98

#SonyToo
While Microsoft messed up with the xboxone launch they have done a lot of right since and with the X and back compact and cross play.

So committed were Sony to backwards compatibility, the original PhatStation 3 had a whole PS2 inside it for backwards compatibility. That's right, the mad bastards went and put the PS2's Emotion Engine in the PS3, along side its own Cell BE and RSX.

They of course eventually stopped doing this and relied on software emulation, because the cost of having two processors on a single console was prohibitive.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
is there anything else than trolling that you are capable of? like anything? or is it that you are just a troll.. like seriously, its like your only job is going to neogaf post shitty threads and try to derail any xbox thread and suck as hard as possible on sonys little cock

hEhMbF2.jpg

Blond

Banned
is there anything else than trolling that you are capable of? like anything? or is it that you are just a troll.. like seriously, its like your only job is going to neogaf post shitty threads and try to derail any xbox thread and suck as hard as possible on sonys little cock

This post is hilarious but not for the reasons you think.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The title is straight propaganda. Sony did crossplay/crosspurchase first. Sony did back compat first. Sony didn't do PC releases first but they've been doing it for awhile:

61oe6ZgHQlL._AC_.jpg

And they've been doing MAU for about as long as they've been reporting PSN users, since the PS3 days.

Iced Arcade

Both companies copy and feed off each other all the time and consumers benefit from the competition.

Xbox gold copied psn+ free games each month and gamers benefit. Sony copied xbox subscription service (company revenue benefit)

Etc

Neofire

It Sony throws all their exclusives natively on the PC then yeah I will agree Sony as a console maker is finished and it will be a shame because it has already proven you can not survive purely off the PC community alone. I don't see them selling no where near as many units when and if they release all their titles on PC.

Tripolygon

Banned
PS2 had PS1 processor to aid in PS1 BC

PSP and PS1 shared similar architecture which allowed BC with PS1 games.

PS3 had PS2 processor to aid in PS2 and PS1 BC

PS Vita has a whole PSP compatible MIPS processor in the SoC to aid in PSP as well as PS1 BC.

All achieving 90+% BC rate.

The odd console out was PS4 for obvious reasons. Sony loves using hardware and some software solutions to ensure good percentage backwards compatible with older generation. To me they set the standard for BC and I hope they continue the tradition with PS5 and include BC for PS4,3,2,1 and PSP, Vita.

thelastword

Banned
Well your point was wrong anyway by saying "Sony invented back compatibility on consoles."
Lets be honest this is a MS vs Sony thread where people are saying MS did something and Sony followed...….We are talking about current console players still in the game.....Besides, Sony's second console was fully compatible with the first and the third was compatible with the first two.....You cant say the same for Atari......Also we are talking thousands of games being compatible.....Atari 7800 run Atari 2600 games, yes, but note how many Atari systems that did not offer BC, besides how many 7800 games were there in existence? around 72? I'd take it that was their primary reason for going BC, because they didn't have much in the way of third party support......BC is only a high point when your current gen games on your current gen box are lacking.......It never really mattered for Sony's bottomline, it was only a bonus and yet they did it full 100 with extras on top, full BC or nothing at all, if you cant fully commit why bother.....FWIW, new compelling games on the new systems makes that console, not BC.........As can be seen with PS4...

PS3 and PS2 had full BC, but BC was never what caused them to be successful machines.........it was the games made with these pieces of hardware ground up and the variety involved......Also point to note......BC on PS2/PS3 carries much more weight than BC on XBOX or Atari....on the simple fact that PS1 and PS2 and PS3 delivered on the games, classic upon classic upon classic. if people are going back, the library had to be good in the first place to hold any appeal as a feature......So as you can see. more people would love older classics that were genuinely great games...….That's why many times they ask and beg for remakes...…...RE1-RE3, (PS1 games), FF7 (PS1 game)…..People want Vagrant Story and Chrono Cross, they want Valkyria Profile, they wanted Silent Hill for ages......Just look at the games people are begging for the most to be remade or even to go to PC, (check VFXVeteran on what he yearns on PC)... it aint frogger, I assure you....

On Demand

Banned
This is such a dumb take and reaching. Sony isn't following anybody. MS doesn't dictate trends or when the industry goes.

Crossplay: Sony has supported it since PS2. Just because they were hesitant to with Xbox since MS decided to play the good company PR game with crossplay this gen doesn't change anything.

Backwards compatibility: Unequivocally aren't following MS with this. Another Sony has supported since PS2. The difficulties of PS3 BC, poor PS2 on PS4 PSN additions and not enabling CDROM support on PS4 to allow PS1 compatibility has put it into question. Still, that doesn't change the fact that Sony has been doing backward compatibility for decades.

PC releases: Putting select games on PC isn't anything like what MS are doing. MS supports PC officially with their first party being there day and date with their console releases. Sony is nowhere near doing that. Wanting to expand their revenue a little by putting certain years old games on PC isn't a MS thing. It's a business thing.

MAU: Funny you chose this as something Sony is following MS with. Sony seeing the importance of an active installed base doesn't mean hardware sales aren't important anymore. Cause guess what? They still report how much hardware they sold. Unlike MS who only started drumming up MAU because their hardware sales are low and stopped reporting it all together. MAU is a ban aid for the poor hardware sales. Not so with Sony. MAU is an addition to hardware sales for them.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
The longest backwards compatibility support (and largest catalogue ) of any games device, is the PC .. specifically a PC running Microsoft Windows.

Back compatibility winner Microsoft

The first crossplay game was Final Fantasy ... that supported xbox 360, PC and Ps2 ( Thats 2 Microsoft platforms) .. or was it Phantasy Star Online ( PC / Dreamcast) https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/first-cross-platform-online-role-playing-game/

Crossplay winner Microsoft

It doesn’t matter who was first ( I even said it in the original post)..

What matters is ...

back compatibility ( it turns out we do play those games)
crossplay ( who cares about the children)
MAU ( the market only cares if you actually play games on it not just watch DVDs)

Last edited:
Are these decisions right or wrong?

If there are right can we just accept that Microsoft is ahead of the game rather than have long discussions about how suddenly when Sony does the same thing ... it’s ok.

For the record I think all these decisions are correct and I believed that even when MS was against them!

Ie 360 having no bc sucked and not supporting crossplay then also sucked.

If they are not right ( in your view) do you care?

“ Sony’s Chief Executive Officer Kenichiro Yoshida has said the business should be judged by the number of active users, not the number of hardware units sold.”

I think your definition of follow is kinda loose they both have copied each other since the OG xbox and PS2 if were being honest.

In terms of BC MS had in this oder
OG xbox > Xbox 360 all versions > xbox one all versions
All out of all of them 360 was the only one that could play OG xbox games out of the box

Sonys BC with all consoles was:
PS2: Ps1>Ps2 disk only
OG launch Ps3 20gb,40gb,60gb : Ps1>ps2>ps3
09 model and onward ps3: Ps1>Ps3 disk and digital ps2 games is digital only
PS3 slim: only can play ps3 games
PSP 1000-3000: Ps1>psp
PSP go: Digital only
PS vita: Limited PS1 and psp library varies heavy on region
PS4: No BC have to pay for the scan know as ps now.

So yea sony hasnt given BC much though almost all re versions of there systems take out features OLED screens, Disk drives, Native BC, Web cams ect. So in terms of BC Sony doesnt follow MS.
As for the other things like crossplay and things like that sony has done crossplay for all of maybe 10 games FF14 and SF5 are the only ones off the top of my mind. You could include GG XRD and Blazblue CF but its mostly just between ps3 and ps4. Some ps vita games are crossplay with ps4 and ps3 but its not a massive amount. I think both of them are tied in terms of crossplay I think MS has a few more games then sony. In terms of flipflopping fanboy logic yea most new sony fans fall under than umbrella the bloomberg report already annouced that the launch games that are coming with the ps5 will be on the ps4.
"games launched for PlayStation 5 will also be available to play on PlayStation 4. "

vkbest

When MS didn’t let crossplay, I was playing fo FF XIV on PS3 and PS4 with PC players. So no, is not from MS

backward? PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita had backward compatibility, MS didn’t invent.

PC releases? First wait until rumors become to real thing

Bryank75

Banned
PlayStations success depends on offering exclusive software on their own hardware platform.... just like the NES, SNES and PlayStation 1.

It is by offering the traditional single player experiences we all love... that have become so rare (unless absolutely butchered and filled with MTX's) that they have risen after the PS3.

Like it or not, console gaming will ALWAYS be judged on who sold the most hardware.... because those people buy the most games and accessories and everything else!

You can pretend that 'gaming is changing' to fool a few stupid investors but I will not game if there is no hardware and look at the excitement for the next gen hardware!!!

Nearly a thousand pages of anticipation in the other thread... and every cloud gaming one dies almost immediately.

There is no reason to follow MS... with their last punt, it already failed. Cloud gaming failed, Xbox will never be as big of a success as PlayStation. The game has long been over.

The recipe for success is simple... just offer very good hardware at a decent price, provide lots of EXCLUSIVE content, keep expanding your exclusives and keep the main franchises such as COD, FIFA, BF, Madden, Fortnite, GTA and RDR coming to the platform....
THAT IS IT!!!
Cloud and subscription bullshit is nonsense, a complete red-herring!

If they keep on going after subscriptions and publishing their games on PC, their stock price will never recover! It will only go in one direction and that is DOWN.

Last edited:

VCL

PlayStations success depends on offering exclusive software on their own hardware platform.... just like the NES, SNES and PlayStation 1.

It is by offering the traditional single player experiences we all love... that have become so rare (unless absolutely butchered and filled with MTX's) that they have risen after the PS3.

Like it or not, console gaming will ALWAYS be judged on who sold the most hardware.... because those people buy the most games and accessories and everything else!

You can pretend that 'gaming is changing' to fool a few stupid investors but I will not game if there is no hardware and look at the excitement for the next gen hardware!!!

Nearly a thousand pages of anticipation in the other thread... and every cloud gaming one dies almost immediately.

There is no reason to follow MS... with their last punt, it already failed. Cloud gaming failed, Xbox will never be as big of a success as PlayStation. The game has long been over.

The recipe for success is simple... just offer very good hardware at a decent price, provide lots of EXCLUSIVE content, keep expanding your exclusives and keep the main franchises such as COD, FIFA, BF, Madden, Fortnite, GTA and RDR coming to the platform....
THAT IS IT!!!
Cloud and subscription bullshit is nonsense, a complete red-herring!

If they keep on going after subscriptions and publishing their games on PC, their stock price will never recover! It will only go in one direction and that is DOWN.
Xbox 360 sold as PS3 IMO, excluding japan 360 won

Last edited:

CyRuZ

Banned
I couldn't care less about crossplay. Bc on the other hand is a must imo. And I hope not a half-assed attempt like bc on Ps3. At least in EU where we only got software bc which only ran a few titles and most of them with bad performance.

HeresJohnny

Sony should not be following Microsoft on anything. If at all, they should be using Microsoft as an example of what not to do.

SLB1904

Banned
I love xbox fanboys. Tgey were the ones asking for cross play just to make playstation look bad in there console war conversation. Sony answer by adding it. Now they are mad lol

I dont lol just found funny how they change the narrative when is convenient. And to be fair im kinda glad they did. Modern warfare on pc with controller is the most beatiful thing.

So the entire conversation has to revolve around toxic fanboys like Crapgamerreviews and FoxyGamesUK?

SLB1904

Banned
So the entire conversation has to revolve around toxic fanboys like Crapgamerreviews and FoxyGamesUK?
I only know the name crapgamer because he became a meme. The other dude dont know and dont wanna know him.
I care more about the forum fanboys. Love the amount of nonsense they spit like in this thread.
The most extreme ones i just put on ignore.

Right now if all 3 console mfgs folded up their tents, the industry would still thrive. And for myself, none of their products would be missed. I dont do Nintendont, MS is uselss and Sony, well, i love their games but nothing interesting of late though I enjoyed Days Gone a lot.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
It was this generation when Microsoft really claimed a few staples when it comes to gaming and how they report the business that many tried to shit on damn near the entire generation. Now that Sonya doing the same thing, you got the usual suspects in here changing the narrative again.

They can't stand Microsoft being praised for any kind of forward thinking in this business when they're arguably the most forward thinking out of the Big 3. You kats are hilarious. Lol.
I love xbox fanboys. Tgey were the ones asking for cross play just to make playstation look bad in there console war conversation. Sony answer by adding it. Now they are mad lol
Does it sound like we are mad genius? We're saying, its about time.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

thelastword

Banned
If Sony was following Microsoft;

1.) Sony would have gone on stage, released it's own Kinect, Follow TV TV TV, and no game sharing in 2013....

2.) Sony would have paywalled demos, betas etc.....behind a PSN sub.

3.) Sony would have been busy talking about power of the cloud to it's installbase because it developed a weaker console....

4.) Sony would have released Crapdown 3, Sea of Leaves and State of Delay instead of Bloodborne, Horizon, Spiderman, UC4, GTS etc....

5.) Sony would have an exec mascot who has a fake smirk/smile, dress in tshirts with a jacket and sneaker and promise great games for 6 years

6.) Sony would have cancelled Dreams, TLG etc......Just like MS did Scalebound.

7.) Sony would have released a new console two years before the new gen at the same price it released it's underpowered console in 2013, so that they could sell it much cheaper than MSRP after a few days....

8.) Sony would offer no VR, they would have no streaming service, they would say VR is still cooking and not viable...

9.) Sony would talk a mean crossplay game whilst having significantly less crossplay games than MS....

10.) Sony would stop releasing numbers and viable milestones and continue the trend of hype absence delivery.....

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

1.) Sony would have gone on stage, released it's own Kinect, Follow TV TV TV, and no game sharing in 2013....

3.) Sony would have been busy talking about power of the cloud to it's installbase because it developed a weaker console....

4.) Sony would have released Crapdown 3, Sea of Leaves and State of Delay instead of Bloodborne, Horizon, Spiderman, UC4, GTS etc....

5.) Sony would have an exec mascot who has a fake smirk/smile, dress in tshirts with a jacket and sneaker and promise great games for 6 years

7.) Sony would have released a new console two years before the new gen at the same price it released it's underpowered console in 2013, so that they could sell it much cheaper than MSRP after a few days....

8.) Sony would offer no VR, they would have no streaming service, they would say VR is still cooking and not viable...

9.) Sony would talk a mean crossplay game whilst having significantly less crossplay games than MS....

10.) Sony would stop releasing numbers and viable milestones and continue the trend of hype absence delivery.....
If Sony followed MS, they wouldn't have had to do this after getting PSN breached and trying to cover it up two weeks.

"1.) Sony would have gone on stage, released it's own Kinect, Follow TV TV TV, and no game sharing in 2013...."
They pushed $2k 3d tvs and ps move but had at best maybe 20-30 games supported either one of those peripherals use it that about as bad as MS going on about TV. Which sony killed off both of those things 2 years later along with the vita in 2016

"2.) Sony would have paywalled demos, betas etc.....behind a PSN sub."
They've done it at the tail end of last gen and pretty much most of this gen in fact buying used 1st party ps3 games came with an additional online tax that you had to pay for that one game. Most of the betas and demos like GG XRD,Blazblue, PSO2 beta for japan, SF5, GT sport, DOA6 both beta test were locked behind the SUB known as ps plus.

"3.) Sony would have been busy talking about power of the cloud to it's installbase because it developed a weaker console...."
PS now says hi.

"4.) Sony would have released Crapdown 3, Sea of Leaves and State of Delay instead of Bloodborne, Horizon, Spiderman, UC4, GTS etc...."
Crackdownd sucked but lets not pretend The order,Knack 1 and 2, Days gone, life of black tiger and may more are steaming hot piles of trash as well. And those games you mentioned are pure downgrades UC4 is worst then UC1-3, GTS is literally the GT5 Prologue all over again with tons of internal problems "lack of tracks, Car classes being way to vague, GR.X classes need to go, Online only game meaning you cant play it offline or save it without going online".

And we had 3 ceos that have done worst Kaz told everyone to get a second job in a down ecconomy for a $599+tax system. Shawn and the commieforina branch has pretty much ruined most of its JP relations with moronic censorship status and pretty much give japan the xbox treamaent. And we have jim who pretty much said who wants to play old games and is pretty much very against BC.

"6.) Sony would have cancelled Dreams, TLG etc......Just like MS did Scalebound."
Na instead they closed down liverpool and evolution and many more studios pretty much cutting there variety in half right there. They censored pretty much every JP game from DMC5 to One piece world seekers had prominent jp devs literally leave there companies or taking a huge financial losses all have been going on since 2018. Killed the vita state side and pretty much refused to do anything about it we didnt even get the localized games we were promised to get. Killed off the ps3 and psp eye toy, psp go, ps vita EU and state side, 3d tv support, ps move support.

"7.) Sony would have released a new console two years before the new gen at the same price it released it's underpowered console in 2013, so that they could sell it much cheaper than MSRP after a few days...."
Released the ps4 pro which is barely better then the standard console with NO BC or 4k blue ray drive when they literally have the content to support it "cough cough 4k anime blue ray sets".

"8.) Sony would offer no VR, they would have no streaming service, they would say VR is still cooking and not viable..."
So a dozen perferifals later and 2 dead handheld consoles later they actually fully support something.

"9.) Sony would talk a mean crossplay game whilst having significantly less crossplay games than MS...."
Still waiting on Sony to add crossplay to there exlusive fighting games they still have GGxrd,Blazblue and many more.

"10.) Sony would stop releasing numbers and viable milestones and continue the trend of hype absence delivery....."
Na they would just put out a vague bulletin talking about the amount of miles driven in GTS Hint hint"You dont even have to own the game to be apart of those numbers"

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
That article is some of the dumbest shit I've ever read. No wonder I've never heard of that site. And quite a shame that OP is shilling for them. Probably also works for them. Too many shills on GAF lately

Virex

Banned
"4.) Sony would have released Crapdown 3, Sea of Leaves and State of Delay instead of Bloodborne, Horizon, Spiderman, UC4, GTS etc...."
Crackdownd sucked but lets not pretend The order,Knack 1 and 2, Days gone, life of black tiger and may more are steaming hot piles of trash as well. And those games you mentioned are pure downgrades UC4 is worst then UC1-3, GTS is literally the GT5 Prologue all over again with tons of internal problems "lack of tracks, Car classes being way to vague, GR.X classes need to go, Online only game meaning you cant play it offline or save it without going online".
You're talking out your ass mate

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If Sony followed MS, they wouldn't have had to do this after getting PSN breached and trying to cover it up two weeks.

Oh, wow... the PSN hack still :LOL:. The thing is that from the MS side throwing stones like that with a good selection of skeletons in your closet feels a bit weird...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It was this generation when Microsoft really claimed a few staples when it comes to gaming and how they report the business that many tried to shit on damn near the entire generation. Now that Sonya doing the same thing, you got the usual suspects in here changing the narrative again.

They can't stand Microsoft being praised for any kind of forward thinking in this business when they're arguably the most forward thinking out of the Big 3. You kats are hilarious. Lol.
Does it sound like we are mad genius? We're saying, its about time.
Yep, they innovated on how you report the business to investors, truly engaging for a gaming forum :rolleyes: . You transpareNt cat you...
Or how they switched their own multiple generations stance on cross play when it was convenient, and yes they finally gave a stronger push to BC... again nothing in there where they showed more forward thought than anyone else.
I see a lot of projecting on Sony, forgetting their past history, and then trying to rewrite history to make it look like Xbox is the most forward thinking agent of change we have, etc... etc...

TL;DR: “Xbox does only great until it does not, but then...SonyToo” - The thread

Top Bottom