• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony following Microsofts recent Playbook, crossplay, back compat, PC releases and now MAU

Why should Sony care about crossplay since that only benefits their 'enemy' Microsoft? Sony is doing just fine having sold 100+ million PS4s to date and 1.2 billion games. Basically as of 2020, Sony is still KILLING it with the traditional console model. Nintendo is also killing it with Switch, remains an absolute juggernaut that is even doing better than Playstation since it came out, selling 50+ million units!

The only reason Microsoft is trying to change the model to something else is because they failed at the existing one. So they have to try cross-play, streaming, Game Pass, XBox games on Windows 10, Elite Controller and other things.

I see ZERO evidence that the mass consumer audience is tiring of traditional console approach of: buy the console unit and 10-12 games, rinse X repeat every 7 years. Remains to be seen if Microsoft/Google can upset that paradigm. I think we're actually in a very static world.

I mean think about why the Switch is selling like crazy with those 'cartoony' Nintendo games. We live in tough, brutal, unforgiving times. I saw an ad in the movies yesterday that showed a long-haul truck driver killing his boredom with a Switch playing Zelda. Brilliant advertising and shows the victory of that mobile design. Switch has opened up gaming for those people whom coming home to a living room console setup is not an option. People need an escape and even Sony is f-ing it up with all the dark, gloomy games they've been coming out with. I predict Switch might sell 200 million in the next several years because people need an escape from this apocalypse we're in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom