• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2021 Earnings Announcement

PS5 Quarterly hardware shipments compared to PS4

RfzJ5O3.png

8RDgOyc.png

Yearly Hardware shipments compared to other Playstation Hardware

djDsN4u.png

You talking about the forecast?
I'm too lazy to do the proper math. Because Yen absolutely got destroyed, I got PS revenue at $21b, but that obviously can't be right. Must use different rates each quarter.

EDIT: Okay, I did the proper math and it comes out at $23.87b in revenue.

Last edited:

johnjohn

It's hilarious that people think the PS5 will outsell Xbox anywhere close to 2:1 this gen. It's going to be incredibly close to even, Xbox is just hitting everything out of the park this gen while last gen there was next to 0 reason to by an Xbox One. Some people here obviously got a little to comfortable with Xbox being easy to ignore. Starfield alone is going to be selling boatloads of console for years.

Last edited:

reksveks

I'm too lazy to do the proper math. Because Yen absolutely got destroyed, I got PS revenue at $21b, but that obviously can't be right. Must use different rates each quarter.

EDIT: Okay, I did the proper math and it comes out at $23.87b in revenue.
Yeah, the numbers aren't anywhere close to 35bn. I have 24.37bn using their quarter conversion rates.

JPY USD
2021 Q2 615,810.00 5623.835616
2021 Q3 645,439.00 5862.297911
2021 Q4 813,264.00 7152.717678
2022 Q1 665,250.00 5729.97416
2739763 24368.82537

Badly formatted table above.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's hilarious that people think the PS5 will outsell Xbox anywhere close to 2:1 this gen. It's going to be incredibly close to even, Xbox is just hitting everything out of the park this gen while last gen there was next to 0 reason to by an Xbox One. Some people here obviously got a little to comfortable with Xbox being easy to ignore.
It's unlikely console sales would be "close to even" if shortages weren't an issue. Xbox doesn't have the same worldwide appeal as PlayStation.

Topher

Gold Member
It's hilarious that people think the PS5 will outsell Xbox anywhere close to 2:1 this gen. It's going to be incredibly close to even, Xbox is just hitting everything out of the park this gen while last gen there was next to 0 reason to by an Xbox One. Some people here obviously got a little to comfortable with Xbox being easy to ignore.

2:1 worldwide doesn't seem unrealistic since PS is globally a more popular brand. In the US it should be closer though.

johnjohn

2:1 worldwide doesn't seem unrealistic since PS is globally a more popular brand. In the US it should be closer though.
Well that's the thing, the US is such a big market that Xbox taking the lead there again will really cut into the PS5's worldwide market share. Xbox is also making good progress in other markets, and the constant flow of exclusives starting this Summer will really help its worldwide appeal. The console shortage kind of allowed Xbox to get its game pipeline in order. Without it we'd probably see Sony with a lot of momentum burying Xbox with news of a record # of consoles being sold and a big sales lead.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
It's hilarious that people think the PS5 will outsell Xbox anywhere close to 2:1 this gen. It's going to be incredibly close to even, Xbox is just hitting everything out of the park this gen while last gen there was next to 0 reason to by an Xbox One. Some people here obviously got a little to comfortable with Xbox being easy to ignore. Starfield alone is going to be selling boatloads of console for years.
How much you want to bet?

johnjohn

How much you want to bet?
I'm not going to bet anything with randos on Neogaf, but I will enjoy coming back and reading threads like this in the future lol. It's just common sense though, look at how well Xbox is doing right now and how well the Series X and S have been received. Look at how well Game Pass is doing and how much positivity it brings to the brand. Look at the insane amount of games that Xbox has in development. Contrary to popular belief on here, most gamers don't have some rule against buying Xbox, they just needed MS to give them a reason to buy one.

cormack12

Gold Member
Then from late 2015 onwards, Xbox One sales started declining.

I believe that the current-gen is following the same trends as the last-gen did. Early adopters purchased PS and Xbox when both systems launched amid supply shortage. PS4 outsold Xbox by around 1.3 - 1.4. However, deeper into the generation, especially after late 2015 when supplies started becoming more and more common, PS4 continued gaining lead over Xbox One consoles.

I think it's safe to assume, unless somethings dramatically change the future course, that we'll be seeing a very similar generation unfolding over the next few years.

But from 2015 that's when realisation set in that the 'secret sauce' wasn't going to appear and in fact negative articles and videos were popping up regularly - when all but the hardcore turned their back on Xbox. I think you can make a strong argument that using figures from an era where consumer buy in was ebbing away and realisation had set in, is not the same as the current period of time where Xbox is generally trending up. And I think it would be really foolish to extrapolate a trend from that and overlay it on current day as a projection. Also Phil Spencer had already conceded an insurmountable lead in the same year

I think PS5 still holds the hearts and minds and will outsell Xbox but I can only see it remaining this close or narrowing (depending on what the deals on exclusives and acquisitions are like). But ultimately that's a good thing for everyone.

Last edited:

johnjohn

But from 2015 that's when realisation set in that the 'secret sauce' wasn't going to appear and in fact negative articles and videos were popping up regularly - when all but the hardcore turned their back on Xbox. I think you can make a strong argument that using figures from an era where consumer buy in was ebbing away and realisation had set in, is not the same as the current period of time where Xbox is generally trending up. And I think it would be really foolish to extrapolate a trend from that and overlay it on current day as a projection.

I think PS5 still holds the hearts and minds and will outsell Xbox but I can only see it remaining this close or narrowing (depending on what the deals on exclusives and acquisitions are like). But ultimately that's a good thing for everyone.
Yea, it makes no sense. The meme was true back then, Xbox had no games and it's a miracle the Xbox One did as well as it did. The Xbox division this gen couldn't be more different than the Xbox division last gen.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Lol at the chip shortage excuse. Yea, Sony is the only company dealing with a chip shortage.
In case you didn’t know, corporations pay to have more chips available for their products, other do not pay the insane price.

That’s why there’s no shortage for Apple devices or Samsung but for Nvidia and AMD there is chip shortage etc.

M16

What kind of excuse? They are still ahead in sales while not having an easier to produce smaller console...
Source for easier to produce in regards to chip shortage?

And about sales, it's fact xbox started production later and alot of series x were taken for xcloud blades. Series x is still hard to come by, and the gap is narrowing fast even without microsofts mega acquisitions coming into play.

It's gonna be a long generation for some of you.

Mr Moose

It's a fact that only Sony is dealing with a chip shortage? Lol
No, it's a fact that chip shortages is a legit thing which is why their numbers are lower than they previously stated, it's not an excuse.
You can make many more Series S than you can PS5s/Series Xs due to the smaller chip size.

johnjohn

I think it's safe to assume, unless somethings dramatically change the future course, that we'll be seeing a very similar generation unfolding over the next few years.
You really don't see any difference at all between the Xbox One and Series X/S? The dramatic changes you're talking about have already happened.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

And about sales, it's fact xbox started production later and alot of series x were taken for xcloud blades. Series x is still hard to come by, and the gap is narrowing fast even without microsofts mega acquisitions coming into play.

What narrowing fast? we have no official numbers. It could be just 10 million for both X | S for example.

Lol at the chip shortage excuse. Yea, Sony is the only company dealing with a chip shortage.

Who said that Sony was the only one? I'm only see you mentioning this.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
So I collected some information. This past record should give us some insights into how PS5 and Xbox Series consoles are stacking up against each other and may give us some idea on what the sales ratio could be by the end of this generation.

Xbox One sold 10 million units by Nov. 2014. PS4 had sold ~14 million units in the same time frame. Ratio of 1.4, pretty much the same as it is right now. Source.

yZA42cw.jpg

The sentiment at that time was that "Sony's winning streak might be coming to an end soon."

In April 2015, Xbox One outpaced PS4 (deja vu!), and Xbox One sales were reportedly up by 63% from last year.

The sentiment at that time was that, because of the price cut and other reasons, PS4 will have a hard time competing with and outselling Xbox.

iyj5KWL.jpg

Then from late 2015 onwards, Xbox One sales started declining.

I believe that the current-gen is following the same trends as the last-gen did. Early adopters purchased PS and Xbox when both systems launched amid supply shortage. PS4 outsold Xbox by around 1.3 - 1.4. However, deeper into the generation, especially after late 2015 when supplies started becoming more and more common, PS4 continued gaining lead over Xbox One consoles.

Excellent post.

Fanboys always trying to make up a new narrative.

leo-j

Ps5 numbers have been huge in May in Europe and beginning to show light in Japan. Although it’s more probable we would see more consistent stock in the later summer months.

Topher

Gold Member

Since Sony is also investing in cloud gaming it makes sense that both are allocating units for data centers. I don't think it is a big secret that XSS has been far more available than either XSX or PS5.

Either way, kind of silly to make fun of excuses while offering up excuses at the same time.

M16

No, it's a fact that chip shortages is a legit thing which is why their numbers are lower than they previously stated, it's not an excuse.
You can make many more Series S than you can PS5s/Series Xs due to the smaller chip size.
you've completely missed the context of the comments. people are saying if it wasnt for the chip shortage, x would outsell y, but everyone is dealing with said chip shortage.
also, just because the soc is smaller doesnt mean as much as you think it does. what about all the other components? you still need to acquire all the other components for each console.

What narrowing fast? we have no official numbers. It could be just 10 million for both X | S for example.
again its funny using the "no official numbers" excuse when it suits you. we know officially it outsold all other previous xbox consoles in a certain timeframe, plus we have NPD and other sales data and metrics. Some well known analysts already put the estimates forth. Dismissing this as "no official" when you know we dont get "official" numbers is grasping at straws.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
you've completely missed the context of the comments. people are saying if it wasnt for the chip shortage, x would outsell y, but everyone is dealing with said chip shortage.
also, just because the soc is smaller doesnt mean as much as you think it does. what about all the other components? you still need to acquire all the other components for each console.

The fact that both x and y products are dealing with a chip shortage doesn't mean both x and y have the same demand. Both are being limited by how many units the factory can produce with the components available. If supply were not a factor then the number sold between x and y would be due to which has the higher demand.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PS5 at 19.3 million, estimates put the Series X at almost 15 million.

The armchair analysts predicted a 3:1 ratio before the start of this gen. Please, somebody make this make sense.

And don’t even bother pretending the PS5 is the only console that has known supply constraints.

Who predicted a 3:1 ratio?

Mr Moose

just because the soc is smaller doesnt mean as much as you think it does. what about all the other components? you still need to acquire all the other components for each console.
Like the RAM, which it has less of? Maybe the SSD which is also smaller? It has less everything than the Series X.

Memory. 10GB GDDR6 128 bit-wide bus

Memory Bandwidth. 8GB @ 224 GB/s, 2GB @ 56 GB/s.

Internal Storage. 512GB Custom NVME SSD

VS

Memory. 16GB GDDR6 w/320 bit-wide bus

Memory Bandwidth. 10 GB @ 560 GB/s, 6 GB @ 336 GB/s.

Internal Storage. 1TB Custom NVME SSD

Series S is easier to produce no matter how you look at it.

arvfab

Banned

2 seconds of google:

"Ultimately, the reason why the Xbox Series S is so much easier to obtain than the Xbox Series X or the PS5 boils down to differences in their manufacturing processes. "

And from the multiple sales threads, we know that the Series S is outpacing the Series X sales....

And about sales, it's fact xbox started production later and alot of series x were taken for xcloud blades.
1 month difference in production, if at all....

Also, what about the fact that Sony is going to offer PS5 games for PSNow? Can we use the blades "excuse" here too?

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
More evidence that some people on here are holding on tightly to how good they felt during the Xbox One gen lmao.
You should chill until both a readily available, ps5 just crossed the 20mil mark, xbox is a what 15mil, both xbone and ps4 crossed the 50mil mark. There is a long way to go my friend

John Wick

PlayStation won't get all those $30b. Sony needs those money for the rest of the company. They can't splash it on 1 division, like people here expects them to.
Why do keep on posting this nonsense? If an opportunity arose and Sony needed to buy a company for $30 billion then they could do it. It has to be something that will bring a sizable return or propel the company to another level. Sony don't need to go out and splash massive amounts of cash as they already had good in-house development studios. They also have loads of IP too.

John Wick

Are you saying that someone is physically forcing these people to buy something they don’t want?
Are you saying that it never happens that if you can't find the item you wanted and you know it's massively supply constrained you wouldn't buy an alternative?

Top Bottom