• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Group (Nextorage) to release M.2 SSD at 7GB/s, PCIE 4.0 (1TB~£165 // 2TB~£320)

fermcr

2TB M.2 SSD with 7GB/s, PCIE 4.0, for £165 (192€) ?

No, don't believe you.

tenor.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$165 is way too expensive. I am not spending almost $200 with tax just for some extra space. I will just keep deleting games.
These PS5 and Series X custom SSDs are way too much.

The Xbox Seagate 1 TB card is $300 in Canada. Add tax and youre at about $340! Maybe if it drops to $100-150 I'll get it. Or if a 2 TB for $200 comes out in a couple years I'll bite.

If not, I'll milk the internal storage and just swap or delete games back and forth with my 3 TB external HDD which I got in 2014 for about $110.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
All the final flash PCIE4 drive hit around the same speeds.
Weve all but saturated what PCIE4 can do at this point.

This drive is likely using a Phison E18 controller, unless Sony are making their own controller which would be interesting to see its sustained speeds and real world performance.

• PNY XLR8 CS3140 — 7,500MB/s reads, 6,850MB/s writes
  • Adata XPG Gammix S70 — 7,400MB/s reads, 6,400MB/s writes
  • Mushkin Gamma — 7,175MB/s reads, 6,800MB/s writes
  • Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus — 7,100MB/s reads, 6000MB/s writes
  • Samsung 980 Pro — 7,000MB/s reads, 5,000MB/s writes
  • WD SN850 Black — 7,000MB/s reads, 5,300MB/s writes
  • Patriot Viper VP4 — 7,400MB/s reads, 6800MB/s writes

I really hope Sony isn't doing anything proprietary. I liked their approach on the PS3 and PS4 when it came to storage. I hope they just enable the SSD and give us a list of compatible SSD's we can buy from anyone/anywhere.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I really hope Sony isn't doing anything proprietary. I liked their approach on the PS3 and PS4 when it came to storage. I hope they just enable the SSD and give us a list of compatible SSD's we can buy from anyone/anywhere.
I'm no techie, but I'm pretty sure people have said compatible PC SSDs goes beyond raw speeds. Something to do with channels or something where PS5 channels are different than PC SSDs so even speeds that should work still wont work.

Mithos

And we can use cold storage, so I really don’t understand people who need 20 games installed and ready to play. Stupid waste of money.
Not everyone can download a new 50gb game in a few minutes or an hour, many still have to download for an entire day or two.
Keeping games installed in a must for some people.

But yeah cold storage is a good option at least.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Awesome! I'm so happy that Sony seems to be keeping us in the track of digital downloads and physical media. Anything that moves the industry AWAY from streaming and subscriptions is good in my book.

I want to own my game data for life and I don't freaking care what the price is.
Did you miss the PS3/PS4 clock drama? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'm no techie, but I'm pretty sure people have said compatible PC SSDs goes beyond raw speeds. Something to do with channels or something where PS5 channels are different than PC SSDs so even speeds that should work still wont work.
The internal SSD in the PS5 has more Priority lanes than consumer SSDs.
Pretty much all final flash SSDs are 8 channel thats not what Cerny was talking about.

And no consumer SSD in PCIE4 config will ever match the PS5 SSD priority numbers, it just doesnt make sense to add more priorities right now.
Its the reason the drives need to be pretty much a full gig or more faster per second than the PS5 SSD to make up for those priority lanes.

When the update comes out likely all the ~7GB/s drives will be compatible.

Kilau

2TB for that price is too much to jump on at release. I haven’t been hurting for space on the PS5 anyway, assuming this is supported, and my PC already had a fast 2TB.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out though.

Topher

Gold Member
Thank you. I’m out of the loop with this technology to be fair, is that the same spec / comparable as the other one?

Not sure if they are exact but I'd say they are in the same class. We won't know which of these will be compatible with PS5 until Sony gets off their ass and tells us.

Justin Timberlake Waiting GIF by MOODMAN

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I wonder if this has anything to do with the emails that went round asking for people to sign up to beta test the new firmware?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That's about the going rate so no complaints. I do wish they would reveal more supported NVME's as I'm leaning on a Samsung 2tb.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I don't know why this would be the first compatible drive; Sony doesn't even put their branding on these.

Kerotan

I'm fine with my current drive. My Internet is 500mb/s so downloads huge games in minutes and anyway I don't play more then a handful of games simultaneously so space ain't an issue and that's with Warzone and modern warfare Multiplayer downloaded!

I will wait a few years and maybe even until the ps5 pro but that might have a bigger ssd built in so who knows.

How loud is the fan supposed to be if it runs on a full load + have to cool down the external ssd. I still have nightmares of the ps4 pro playing Wolfenstein 2. I would probably wait a full ass year when we have more full next gen games to really test the system. Mean time, eying that samsung ssd for external cold storage goodness.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I’m hoping it will be fine but people could be leaving the one white cover off and having their own fan blasting cold air onto it!!

Nyxir

I've been installing SSD's in my PC for the best part of a decade and they take no more than a couple of minutes to install.

If you don't own a screwdriver and are incapable of using one then I don't know what to say.
No matter how easy its its not like the xbox solution. The one that you can actually unplug even with the console is still on (plug and play)
Comparing it to an ssd is just stupid and I hope you get it now.
I know as a CF Express card it's not that much expensive, however as a sole expansion for native titles, I find it to be overpriced. Also small gimme 4TB version...
I am sure we will get bigger versions. Hopefully by that time prices will get lower.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's basic maths bro. Xbox expansion card tops @ 2.4Gb/s and it costs as much if nor more. Worst deal of the century.

Also it's 2x lane and DRAM-less, low budget tier sold as premium.

Anyway, those prices sound great but 1TB would be more than enough for the future, I guess. With uncapped, speedy internet you don't need much.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Checked most of the website, it's actually more into photography and videography storage than anything else, while also offering Sony's known camera memory cards there. Nothing gaming related though in there but could be as well indeed. I'm just not sure that the Nextorage name would click like just selling it branded as Sony. Phison is one of the shareholders, and those are produced in Taiwan.

Wanted a large SATA SSD like Samsung's 8TB but only 2TB is the maximum storage size so far.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Pricey but needed, hope this coming out forces Xbox to bring out a 2tb one and drop the price some.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Source: https://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1336742.html
Company: https://www.nextorage.net/en/company/

01_l.jpg

Nextorage Co., Ltd.  , a memory / storage business under the Sony Group , will release the NVMe M.2 SSD "NEM-H" series with PCI Express 4.0 x4 connection on Amazon on the 21st. The price is an open price, and the estimated retail price is 25,190 yen for the 1TB model and 48,560 yen for the 2TB model.

giphy.gif

Good price point if the exchange rate translates, though I'd expect something strange like £189
game of thrones GIF by Syfy’s The Wil Wheaton Project

Blond

Banned
Elephant in the room: All of the pictures of it are inside of a PC. Will this be the first drive that is officially supported by the ps5? Or just a coincidence?
That WD black last year was officially advertised as compatible but was pulled when it was clear that update wasn’t coming. So I guess we’ll wait and see!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
7 months into 2021 and here we are...Imagining what drives may work with the PS5 because sony can't communicate shit!

i know they are too busy scrooge mcduck diving into a vat of gold but they could sort this shit and also unlock vrr.

Last edited:
Top Bottom