• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Group (Nextorage) to release M.2 SSD at 7GB/s, PCIE 4.0 (1TB~£165 // 2TB~£320)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So is this confirmed to work since it's something to do with Sony?

The Sony Group also makes receivers with optical ports.
Sony makes alot of things that dont work with the PS5.

But to put things into perspective, this is an unremarkable NVMe drive so if this one could make the cut then there are ton of others that make the cut as well.

Weve been meant to assume that all ~7GB/s drives will make the cut.

We just need to wait for Sony to release the damn update.

Fredrik

This is going to cost 250€ 1T in Norway, isn't it?
Well… Your VAT is 25% right? With the estimated yen price directly converted to euro + VAT it would be about 240€ for the 1TB drive. Probably rounded to 249€.
I Get It Yes GIF by Farmers Insurance ®

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
3-4x the quality?

Yes, it's comparing high tier, 4x PCIe lanes, 8-channel, with DDR4 DRAM for this one at 7+GB/s vs low budget 2x PCIe lanes, 4-channel, DRAM-less at 2.4GB/s. It means the latter has a much inferior lifespan as well, and it isn't an NVMe m.2.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Yes, it's comparing high tier, 4x PCIe lanes, 8-channel, with DDR4 DRAM for this one at 7+GB/s vs low budget 2x PCIe lanes, 4-channel, DRAM-less at 2.4GB/s. It means the latter has a much inferior lifespan as well, and it isn't an NVMe m.2.

Whats the lifespan of CF Express card that lack DRAM?

Noting that most CFExpress cards have "lifetime" warranties.......or 30 years.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

You said 3x the QUALITY and I would disagree when comparing QUALITY.
I find the XSX Card to be a better QUALITY than most of the nvme drives available.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You said 3x the QUALITY and I would disagree when comparing QUALITY.
I find the XSX Card to be a better QUALITY than most of the nvme drives available.

8-channel vs 4-channel, 4x lanes vs 2x lanes, 7.1GB/s vs 2.4GB/s, DDR4 DRAM vs DRAM-less. Even Phison call it low budget.

csm_EO18iiRW4AcLAY5_a4216f79e2.jpg

More details:

To build M.2 SSDs supporting a PCIe 4.0 x4 interface, new controllers are (obviously) needed, and right now the only company that has them ready is Phison. In fact, the company is readying two such controllers: the PS5016-E16 for high-end drives, as well as the PS5019-E19 for mainstream drives. The E16 has eight 800 MT/s NAND channels for ultimate parallelism and sequential read performance of up to 5 GB/s (write speeds depend on the actual chips/SSD capacity, in the best case scenario it is said to reach up to 4.4 GB/s), whereas the E19 has four NAND channels to minimize the die size and cost.

While the PS5019-E19 is formally positioned below the top-of-the-range controllers, it supports all of the features the E16 does (including Phison’s latest implementation of LDPC-based ECC and so on).

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Whats the lifespan of a CFExpress card when most come with lifetime warranties?

Mithos

For 2 TB... Of super fast PCIE 4.0 Storage. Not sure if you're being ironic or simply do not understand hardware prices.
Ofc we do. 2TB is twice that of 1TB so we have to pay twice+ the money for it, even if the manufacturing cost would only be $5-10 (if even this high) more for the 2TB vs 1TB for the manufacturer.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Right.....I thought the Xbox storage used CFExpress interface but NVMe SSD and proprietary controller.

The controller can be used on CFExpress according to Phison, which is as well a shareholder with this Nextorage Sony company. CFExpress cards are outrageously expensive in general and they are designed differently, mainly for DSLR's, mirrorless, camcorders. The controller is just one part of it. I bought a Sony CFExpress Type A 160GB for $400, which is waterproof and dustproof. Yet it's not as fast as the bigger brothers but pretty small.

Hmm? Xbox uses an M2.

No. NVMe, but not m.2 as it uses only 2x lanes vs 4x lanes on m.2.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Plug it to a PC m.2 slot then and see how it reacts.
I really don't know what you are on about Bo-bro.. it's a 2230 M.2 drive.. which is a form factor.. meaning the shape/size of it. It's x2, aka 2 lanes.. like plenty of other M.2 drives.

I have no clue how it would react in a PC; other than.. it would fit in the M.2 slot because it's the M.2 form factor lol

S0ULZB0URNE

8-channel vs 4-channel, 4x lanes vs 2x lanes, 7.1GB/s vs 2.4GB/s, DDR4 DRAM vs DRAM-less. Even Phison call it low budget.

csm_EO18iiRW4AcLAY5_a4216f79e2.jpg

More details:

To build M.2 SSDs supporting a PCIe 4.0 x4 interface, new controllers are (obviously) needed, and right now the only company that has them ready is Phison. In fact, the company is readying two such controllers: the PS5016-E16 for high-end drives, as well as the PS5019-E19 for mainstream drives. The E16 has eight 800 MT/s NAND channels for ultimate parallelism and sequential read performance of up to 5 GB/s (write speeds depend on the actual chips/SSD capacity, in the best case scenario it is said to reach up to 4.4 GB/s), whereas the E19 has four NAND channels to minimize the die size and cost.

While the PS5019-E19 is formally positioned below the top-of-the-range controllers, it supports all of the features the E16 does (including Phison’s latest implementation of LDPC-based ECC and so on).

My friend I said quality not performance because you claimed 3x the quality.

Calverz

So what do you think I should be comparing it to? For reference I paid 180 euros for two WD SN850's.

EDIT: each*
You should be comparing it to the xbox memory card. But in the world of consoles, the speed doesnt matter because there isnt any choice. The only real comparison that can be made is the size of storage and price. Nobody needs to know the speeds of the two drives. Only that they do intended job.

You should be comparing it to the xbox memory card. But in the world of consoles, the speed doesnt matter because there isnt any choice. The only real comparison that can be made is the size of storage and price. Nobody needs to know the speeds of the two drives. Only that they do intended job.

Price is going to be interesting to see because it's based off the PC market.

Fredrik

Doesn't uk price include Vat?
The listed UK price in this case is just a direct conversion from the estimated retail price in Japan, VAT in Japan is 10% according to a quick google, no idea if it’s included.

25190yen for 1TB is about £165 ($230)
48560yen for 2TB is about £320 ($440)

MaDBrute

Banned
The sn850 with the same specs was recently 1700 nok at komplett. Can't see how it's gonna be much more than that.
The listed UK price in this case is just a direct conversion from the estimated retail price in Japan, VAT in Japan is 10% according to a quick google, no idea if it’s included.

25190yen for 1TB is about £165 ($230)
48560yen for 2TB is about £320 ($440)
Thx

What if you've got it backwards and games can't access data that fast because developers are forced to develop for PS5 and XSX with their slow-ass storage solutions based on ancient peasant technology?
Or maybe you have it backwards and games designed for PCs have to work on a variety of hardware, including slow ass HDD drives. Also, there are literally bottlenecks in Windows slowing the data down since it has to run through the CPU first whereas the PS5 loads data directly from the drive to the GPU almost like RAM.

Direct Storage is coming for PC in Windows 11 though, so it won't be long for you to wait.

I still have yet to see anything on PC load as fast as PS5 (especially first party games such as Spider Man and Ratchet and Clank)... heck even RE:Village loads in under 2 seconds on PS5.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I have been up to date on DirectStorage and RTX IO, not so much on what's currently the latest and greatest spec-wise on the market in SSD stuff lately.

Looks like the price (of a 980 Pro) has also come down a bit since I last checked, which is nice.

Btw, I think all drives that hit 7GB/s or more sequential read are beasts :messenger_savoring:
Yup, alot of the 7GB/s drives are now between $199-$195.

Whatever this drive is, I doubt its the only one that can be used internally for PS5. The PS5 has screws for all form factors, I cant see them having a proprietary M.2.

You can already buy m.2s with this spec from microcenter. I put one in my PC in January. They cost $180. Might not fit in a PS5 though.
Will be keeping an eye on this, thanks for this post.

Last edited:
Or maybe you have it backwards and games designed for PCs have to work on a variety of hardware, including slow ass HDD drives.
No you most definitely got it backwards.
Oh crap, looks like my carefully constructed argument has been destroyed by facts and logic. How am I ever going to live this down?

Or maybe - just maybe - I wasn't being entirely serious when I posted benchmarks results of a 10,000+ dollar workstation AIC SSD on a gaming board.

S0ULZB0URNE

Oh crap, looks like my carefully constructed argument has been destroyed by facts and logic. How am I ever going to live this down?

Or maybe - just maybe - I wasn't being entirely serious when I posted benchmarks results of a 10,000+ dollar workstation AIC SSD on a gaming board.
The facts are in the post you quoted from Dust-by-Monday Dust-by-Monday

Hopefully that's the case, cause it needs to be released ASAP. At least for those who play COD. I mean, the better fix would be compressing the game more, but that can eventually lead to performance issues.

In essence, additional storage is needed
That's funny because my physical copy of MW decided to not let me play the multiplayer on my PS5 even though I have every installation pack downloaded.

Blond

Banned
So is this confirmed to work since it's something to do with Sony?
There we’re two that was confirmed to be compatible (WD Black and Samsung) but it was pulled after a couple days when it was clear that the update wasn’t coming anytime soon.

Neilg

Whatever this drive is, I doubt its the only one that can be used internally for PS5. The PS5 has screws for all form factors, I cant see them having a proprietary M.2.

yeah, they'll likely want their own option out when they enable the use of third-party drives though - I expect this is the first step to an official PS5 drive.
I could see the official one going on sale same time as the patch goes live, which also allows a couple of WD/seagate drives or whatever to be used.

Top Bottom