• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is requiring devs to offer timed game trials for PS+ Premium subscribers for games that cost more than $34 (Update: Wholesale Pricing)

Menzies

Banned
But this dude cited the same source that mentions how bad their data really is. So why use this as a reason as to why demos or game trials will lose publishers money?
Well I’m not convincing you, and I don’t care.

It’s up to you to be influenced or dismissive to counter points as you wish.

You made the claim that only publishers that hate money, won’t like this. There’s a video at least to address that. However, I would argue more importantly is the evidence of how rare demo’s and trials have become as the real answer. Any sane publisher wants to maximise sales and revenue - the current market forces/dynamics aren’t encouraging them to do so, so what does that tell you?

But by this logic we can argue games like GotG sold poorly because they weren't good games, either. Which from what most people who've played it these days are saying, isn't the case. Carrying that logic onward, though, we could even say stuff like a game that isn't great can avoid bad sales by simply being offered through a subscription service, which is an even more extreme take.

Bringing that up to hopefully show that poor sales for a game isn't always so much due to quality as it is lack of marketing and in some cases, availability (especially with older games that did not have digital options). So you never know, there could be some AAA games that just get skipped on due to a clogged release schedule and/or lack of marketing, and a solid trail demo could give them the WOM and attention needed to get a big sales boost.
I did say generally. Guardians may have been associated with games like Avengers and that game wasn't as well received. Game pass gave the game a new lease on life and I'm certain the devs were compensated. A win-win.

Let me be clear no one is complaining about demos or trials as a concept but demos and trials that are forced on devs instead of it being voluntary. We also don't know if the devs will be paid to make those trials available. Personally I don't like the idea of paying for a trial or demo.

I thought it was pretty much a sure thing Sony would be offering their own games in this trail service feature? Has that not been confirmed? NGL it would be weird if their own games aren't going to be in there; I can understand not putting their full games on a service Day 1 for a multitude of reasons, but not offering limited trails for 1P games when requiring 3P games to do so would be a bad look.
I am assuming Sony will put their trials on PS Premium, what we don't know is if those trials will be available day 1 for new releases or if they themselves will wait 3 months. I hope it's the former and not the latter. It will really show confidence in their proposal. If not the value decreases even further.

yurinka

However, the reason I said there could be a scenario where maybe some ARE against it, comes down to market share. The person I was responding to said they thought Sony could push this through due to their market share. If that's including PS4 as well as PS5, that's 100% correct. But in reality, PS4 market share is going to matter less and less as 8th-gen is naturally left behind, so a lot of publishers are only going to consider current-gen market share. That's PS5/Series X/Series S etc. Again, there's stuff out there including even word now from Satya Nadella himself, that Series have been seeing majority of current-gen console sales in major markets for what sounds like the past two quarters (or at least the past quarter for sure). That would mean US, Canada, Mexico, and Western Europe.

My thoughts on this are, if that continues (and I have a strong suspicion it WON'T persist for that much longer, as long as Sony gets more PS5 stock in those territories relatively soon), and the gap between Xbox & PS ends up looking notably smaller this gen vs. last gen, then as current-gen becomes the by-far focus of software development, if you have a platform holder like Sony implement a policy one too many major publishers might not like, that publisher might see it worth "gambling" to oppose Sony on it more openly than they would've last generation. It would put Sony in a pickle: if push through anyway, that's a publisher who might favor the competition, and it becomes a balancing act of weighing the risks.
Seems MS had a good shipment for this quarter seeing their YoY change, but seeing themselves estimated that in the next quarter their hw sales will drop makes me think that their chips provider was able to send them a huge chunk for this quarter and then again will only have a few. Maybe next quarter they can't send to MS but send a huge chunk to Sony, or someone else like a car manufacturer, a dishwasher manufacturer or something like that.

I think that during a year or maybe a bit more with some exceptions Sony and MS will be able to ship a smal amount of consoles, which also will mean a lo of people will continue on PS4 until later than usual. But once they get rid of the chips issue then I think PS5 sales will explode and sell a fuckton because not only demand will continue there and many people will have money saved, but also because the number of exclusives and other great games plus improvements like the new PS+, VRR, Discord, PSVR2, PS5 tournaments and so on will be there making it more appealing than it is now.

You also have to remember that Sony tries to produce both PS4 and PS5, plus pretty likely may be already slowly producing PSVR2 to have enough at launch, while MS is only producing Xbox Series (and well, both Sony and MS also have the cloud servers). Meaning that if both Sony and MS get 100 consoles each per day MS will use all 100 for Xbox Series while Sony should split them across the different devices.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Demos cost money to make, someone has gotta pay for it. Also EA play does exactly this and hasn't had nearly as much heat over it.
Ot doesnt matter if they cost money to make them. Nobody is getting paid extra to make demos despite some people having crazy ideas in this thread. This is the main reason demos have died out. Similar reason to making e3 demos instead of making the game playable.

Nobody that is paying for EA play is doing so for demos. Again demos should not be behind a paywall. Period.

Last edited:

oldergamer

I will put it this way, the entire idea of a demo is to get as many people as possible to try and buy your game right? Having a demo behind a premium paywall completely defeats that purpose and limits the amount of people that can try and buy.

Shmunter

Ot doesnt matter if they cost money to make them. Nobody is getting paid extra to make demos despite some people having crazy ideas in this thread. This is the main reason demos have died out. Similar reason to making e3 demos instead of making the game playable.

Nobody that is paying for EA play is doing so for demos. Again demos should not be behind a paywall. Period.
Is it bespoke demos or a timer on the full game managed by the console?

I think people are confusing themselves here. There will be no seperate demo, and no extra code needed beyond putting in an api hook in at the most which will likely be default in the SDK by the sounds of things.

If there is no added work by devs and there is push back - it’s the devs being shady.

This needs to happen, and the platform holders are right to enforce it. However, free for all is the right thing to do.

Last edited:

Rivet

I will put it this way, the entire idea of a demo is to get as many people as possible to try and buy your game right? Having a demo behind a premium paywall completely defeats that purpose and limits the amount of people that can try and buy.

Nobody stops publishers from providing the exact same game trials to other platforms. Actually, I think that if it becomes successful, the competition will add the same perk.

I also suspect it requires zero effort from the publisher since it will just be a 2 hour system countdown on the full game.

I think we're making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

These aren’t separate made demos.

They are game trial timers which already exists in the OS. It’s the full game with a playtime timer. Something Sony has in place that EA uses on the OS level for their service, and Sony has done in the past with their own games.

BeardGawd

Banned
People keep saying this takes no work from developers completely ignoring the fact that developers will now have to consider what their first 2 hours+ feels like instead of focusing on the game as a whole. Yes that takes work. And for games that have a long ramp up or are not as engaging in the beginning could lose sales.

34 quid is the cut off point for this , why?
in any case game trials/demos are a good thing
Sony knows this will affect game sales which is why they are restricting this to non indie games. That's also why devs have a grace period of 3 months before the trial. And that's also why they limit this to the highest tier. All these resrtrictions are in place to hopefully mitigate any negative impact from the program.

All the people saying this coldn't possibly hurt sales just need to look at all these restrictions to show that npt even Sony believes that. Hopefully pubs get a monetary incentive.

Shmunter

People keep saying this takes no work from developers completely ignoring the fact that developers will now have to consider what their first 2 hours+ feels like instead of focusing on the game as a whole. Yes that takes work. And for games that have a long ramp up or are not as engaging in the beginning could lose sales.

Sony knows this will affect game sales which is why they are restricting this to non indie games. That's also why devs have a grace period of 3 months before the trial. And that's also why they limit this to the highest tier. All these resrtrictions are in place to hopefully mitigate any negative impact from the program.

All the people saying this coldn't possibly hurt sales just need to look at all these restrictions to show that npt even Sony believes that. Hopefully pubs get a monetary incentive.
I’d say the indi exclusion is more related to smaller, shorter game types. Sony should allow more flexibility in locking out levels aka Xbox arcade and enforce trials wholesale. What a utopia that would be.

Hopefully the 2h is the minimum for regular games with devs able to increase from there.

Last edited:

oldergamer

These aren’t separate made demos.

They are game trial timers which already exists in the OS. It’s the full game with a playtime timer. Something Sony has in place that EA uses on the OS level for their service, and Sony has done in the past with their own games.
Doesn't matter. Its for a smaller audience and defeats the purpose

Topher

Gold Member

That is not the "entire idea". The idea is that this is a perk for those who are paying for the Premium tier to try games for a few hours before they decide to buy. This isn't new except for the fact that this requires no effort on the part of the publisher.

You can say this shouldn't be behind a pay wall, but if this wasn't a paid for perk then it simply would not exist at all.

Last edited:
That is not the "entire idea". The idea is that this is a perk for those who are paying for the Premium tier to try games for a few hours before they decide to buy. This isn't new except for the fact that this requires no effort on the part of the publisher.

You can say this shouldn't be behind a pay wall, but this wasn't a paid for perk then it simply would not exist at all.

Honestly I don’t see how Sony could have provided this for free and not upset developers. If devs hate it being part of the highest PS+ Tier imagine what it would be like if everyone had access to it.

Topher

Gold Member
Honestly I don’t see how Sony could have provided this for free and not upset developers. If devs hate it being part of the highest PS+ Tier imagine what it would be like if everyone had access to it.

Have we heard from any devs or publishers complaining about this?

FrankWza

ignoring the fact that developers will now have to consider what their first 2 hours+ feels like instead of focusing on the game as a whole.
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Topher

Gold Member

So you basically just made the case that Sony designed this program as a way to not affect game sales. That's what you just described with limiting this to AAA games, 3 month grace period, and only available to the highest tier.

Basically this provides value to the highest tier subscriber with little risk to the publisher and developer.

Mr Bean Thumbs Up GIF

BeardGawd

Banned
So you basically just made the case that Sony designed this program as a way to not affect game sales. That's what you just described with limiting this to AAA games, 3 month grace period, and only available to the highest tier.

Basically this provides value to the highest tier subscriber with little risk to the publisher and developer.

Mr Bean Thumbs Up GIF
Do you think I don't understand my own post? Yes kudos to Sony for trying to mitigate it. My point which completely flew over your head was about Demos\trials as a whole. Not eveything being argued is a knock against sony. I can't dumb down my takes because of over sensitive feelings.

ToadMan

It seem your just guessing lol anyone listen to you without a single shread of proof
is in for a rude awakening more info since then have come out
that Sony themself may offer the trial themself and that
no work from devs are needed if that is true it will be locked
behind Premium for sure no way Sony does it for free
no company do anything for free they need to make a money return

It seems you didn’t read the article this was thread is based on …

This whole thread I’m responding to the news with the best available information we have at the time.

So currently that is; every AAA release will allow this trial to happen or else

They don’t get a say or choice in the matter as this is being presented as an ultimatum.

The alternative as you say (a demo), means more effort on the developers behalf.

So you tell me - what have I missed?

I think the issue is more the use of exaggerated language like devs have a "gun to their head" on this; by that logic they had guns to their heads when achievements and trophies were being enforced, too. Could even argue they had "guns to their heads" when they needed to start incorporating online multiplayer in games due to growth of Xbox Live and PSN, as well.

I did say generally. Guardians may have been associated with games like Avengers and that game wasn't as well received. Game pass gave the game a new lease on life and I'm certain the devs were compensated. A win-win.

Well, what makes you think the developers won't be compensated with Sony's approach? I probably don't even need to say how these trails can be a buff to the attention of these games, and give them a boost if they need it.

Let me be clear no one is complaining about demos or trials as a concept but demos and trials that are forced on devs instead of it being voluntary. We also don't know if the devs will be paid to make those trials available. Personally I don't like the idea of paying for a trial or demo.

But PS+ Premium has a lot more for it than just the trails?

I am assuming Sony will put their trials on PS Premium, what we don't know is if those trials will be available day 1 for new releases or if they themselves will wait 3 months. I hope it's the former and not the latter. It will really show confidence in their proposal. If not the value decreases even further.

Yeah, the value would decrease if they did that, and could also make more 3P publishers hold off until months after to put out trails. Which would more or less defeat the purpose, hence why I'm almost 100% certain Sony's games will have trails present on Day 1 or potentially even earlier.

Seems MS had a good shipment for this quarter seeing their YoY change, but seeing themselves estimated that in the next quarter their hw sales will drop makes me think that their chips provider was able to send them a huge chunk for this quarter and then again will only have a few. Maybe next quarter they can't send to MS but send a huge chunk to Sony, or someone else like a car manufacturer, a dishwasher manufacturer or something like that.

Now having brought that up, I did hear some people speculate that MS having more units so far this year was down to having units from the holiday season in the distribution pipeline and that it's mainly been those and new Series X units selling.

I think that during a year or maybe a bit more with some exceptions Sony and MS will be able to ship a smal amount of consoles, which also will mean a lo of people will continue on PS4 until later than usual. But once they get rid of the chips issue then I think PS5 sales will explode and sell a fuckton because not only demand will continue there and many people will have money saved, but also because the number of exclusives and other great games plus improvements like the new PS+, VRR, Discord, PSVR2, PS5 tournaments and so on will be there making it more appealing than it is now.

Can agree with that; if you look at the software sales charts, whenever PS5 comes into good enough stock, many of the 1P games see big boosts in sales. We just saw that recently with HFW, it's been a regular thing with Miles Morales, and it will be a factor in helping keep GT7 in the Top 10/Top 20 for a very long time.

I think the things they are doing, as you mention, are adding value to the PS ecosystem in their own way which will help keep PS5 a highly coveted system once it is more readily available. Because that type of value is attached to quality that a lot of people are willing to wait for a very long time, once it's actually available, in order to then buy into it.

You also have to remember that Sony tries to produce both PS4 and PS5, plus pretty likely may be already slowly producing PSVR2 to have enough at launch, while MS is only producing Xbox Series (and well, both Sony and MS also have the cloud servers). Meaning that if both Sony and MS get 100 consoles each per day MS will use all 100 for Xbox Series while Sony should split them across the different devices.

Yeah, that's true, but that's also kind of where MS has an advantage in the production pipeline, wouldn't you agree? They only have to focus on Serie systems, Sony has to split production costs across three very different devices. Unfortunately it's 7nm chips that are in short supply and those are what PS5 needs, and PS5 on its own needs more supply to reach a decent saturation point of demand in comparison to the Series systems (for example if we could say Series have a 70% saturation of supply meeting demand, PS5 probably has closer to 50% saturation of supply meeting demand, maybe closer to 40%).

Again though, these approaches have tradeoffs. If there's an advantage to Sony's, it's that the diversity in product offering, particularly with PSVR2, is going to help create strong value perception within the brand, which will pay off once PS5 systems are more readily available.

Is it bespoke demos or a timer on the full game managed by the console?

I think people are confusing themselves here. There will be no seperate demo, and no extra code needed beyond putting in an api hook in at the most which will likely be default in the SDK by the sounds of things.

If there is no added work by devs and there is push back - it’s the devs being shady.

This needs to happen, and the platform holders are right to enforce it. However, free for all is the right thing to do.

It's already been clarified, too, that the PS Store team are handling the trails, so technically speaking 3P devs aren't burdened by that part of this.

I hope they offer a means of some of these trails being available for those on the lower tiers.

Shmunter

One crazy thing in all this, if Sony pulls this off; it would literally mean every single AAA game would be playable on PSPlus premium. Being a trial also means progress is intact - if you play and like - purchase - and continue on. Being able to start playing every AAA game, think about it - this is a whole new thing altogether.

Many people probably churn through the download waltz only to try shit out on all you can eat anyway - and the platform holder is paying the studio for the privilege. Here seemingly the deal has been altered completely between holder and studio, with opportunity for sale conversion too. The consumer benefit is off the charts.

Megaton!?!? :unsure:

Last edited:
I did read and i call bullshit anyone defending this crap is a shill

How can you even begin to claim that when you just admitted you didn't even read the details? That's like reading a headline from The Gawker and reacting like it's a thesis paper.

One crazy thing in all this, if Sony pulls this off; it would literally mean every single AAA game would be playable on PSPlus premium. Being a trial also means progress is intact - if you play and like - purchase - and continue on. Every AAA game, think about it - this is a whole new thing altogether.

Megaton!?!? :unsure:

Believe it or not, Sony tried doing this over a decade ago. Kingthrash Kingthrash made a video on their channel and showed some clip of a Sony presentation from way back about universal demo trails for all games in the PS store. This might've been for PS3 at some point, even, but was something they were definitely doing for PS4. (I know how some people feel about that individual's content; even I kind of raised a fuss over one of their vids but in hindsight I'd of like to have been more measured in those opinions. Still though, you can find the clips on Youtube if you don't want to watch the video in question)

IIRC the demos would stream to the player, and were provided completely free. However, it never took off; it's possible the reason is because there was no compensation in it for devs/pubs. I don't know. But this as a concept is something they've tried doing a long while back. Their online infrastructure is better now and most likely there is going to be some type of compensation in it for 3P partners this time, so that among other things meaning it should be a good showing this time.

And yes, potentially being able to play any AAA game, 1P or 3P, as a varied-length trail at/near release or potentially before release in some cases (how? Well, MS provided FH5 for purchase for early adopters ahead of release and inclusion in GP, as a sort-of example to this) is a very strong value-add, IMO.

Last edited:
How can you even begin to claim that when you just admitted you didn't even read the details? That's like reading a headline from The Gawker and reacting like it's a thesis paper.
Link it to me then cause there is too much misinformation for me to go through every article written by some wannabe journalist
i will gladly admit that i am wrong if i am wrong show me? ill be waiting

Link it to me then cause there is too much misinformation for me to go through every article written by some wannabe journalist
i will gladly admit that i am wrong if i am wrong show me? ill be waiting

Here's what's been mentioned so far:

-3P partners will be required to provide minimum 2-hour trail demos for all games with a wholesale price >= $34​
-Feature will be provided for PS+ Premium subscribers​
-Trails have to be provided within 3-12 months of the game's release​
-Sony's PS Store team will handle creation of all trail demos​
-3P partners can opt to still release their own demos if desired​
-Official mentions with 3P partners have not quite begun yet​
-Trails will include 3P games outside of streaming​
-Progress from trails will be transferrable to full game (not confirmed, but likely outcome)​
There might be a couple smaller things I'm not recalling, but those are the main points.

Last edited:

Shmunter

-3P partners will be required to provide minimum 2-hour trail demos for all games with a wholesale price >= $34​
-Progress from trails will be transferrable to full game (not confirmed, but likely outcome)​
There might be a couple smaller things I'm not recalling, but those are the main points.
The massive take out that I didn't consider till pondering the bigger picture is the "3P partners will be required to provide minimum 2-hour trail demos for all games with a wholesale price >= $34" = every single AAA game will be playable on the service. The magnitude of this is staggering.

Now how this effects the gaming industry is another topic. If anything - such a gargantuan proposition potentially eliminates fomo and backlog purchases. Play, like, buy -or- move on. Stacking games incase you may want to play it at some point is eliminated.

Last edited:

yurinka

Trials don't require them extra job or cost and pretty likely in most cases will have almost no effect, while in others will help them sell more games and make more money from the most valuable players for publishers (the ones who spend more money on games). Why should they be compensated?

To put there a short trial or a AAA game encourages more sales, it isn't like to put the full game, which since the player play it there may not buy it later.

Demos only would remove sales for AAA games in the case a player was convinced to buy a game but when playing it hugely dissapoints him compared to previous videos and trailers to the point decides not to buy it. A case which may be pretty rare and it's deserved and will make the publishers to make better games or to market them in a more honest way.

The massive take out that I didn't consider till pondering the bigger picture is the "3P partners will be required to provide minimum 2-hour trail demos for all games with a wholesale price >= $34" = every single AAA game will be playable on the service. The magnitude of this is staggering.

Now how this effects the gaming industry is another topic. If anything - such a gargantuan proposition potentially eliminates fomo and backlog purchases. Play, like, buy -or- move on. Stacking games incase you may want to play it at some point is eliminated.
Players will love to be able to test any 1st or 3rd party AAA game. But in the same way that in Netflix you don't watch all the movies and only watch the few ones that feel more interesting to you, here will happen the same: players will only test those games they find interesting.

And it isn't the full game, it's a short test so if loves a game will have to buy it (being the first year and people prefering new stuff pretty likely will be full priced) to continue playing.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Yes, that's why I said earlier that it will be a game-changing feature for PlayStation gamers. It'll not only help increase PS+ Premium subscribers, but -- if advertised properly -- it may also help PS gamers gain even more market share against Xbox.

Imagine you are on the fence unsure which console should you buy. "Play any AAA game you want for 2-6 hours for FREE!" has a fantastic ring to it.

Menzies

Banned
Trials don't require them extra job or cost and pretty likely will in most cases will have almost no effect while in others will help them sell more games and make more money from the most valuable players for publishers (the ones who spend more money on games). Why should they be compensated.
Says you.

There is no statistical analysis you can point to towards making that claim.

“Why should they be compensated”

Because someone else is doing the heavy lifting in justifying Sony’s top tier subscription with no reward, while Sony gets to enjoy free money for the fruits of others labour.

What no one in your position (trials lead to increased sales) has explained is why, by in large developers have chosen not do this before on their own accord? I guess they’re all morons and Sony is the enlightened soul?

Menzies

Banned
Yes, that's why I said earlier that it will be a game-changing feature for PlayStation gamers. It'll not only help increase PS+ Premium subscribers, but -- if advertised properly -- it may also help PS gamers gain even more market share against Xbox.

Imagine you are on the fence unsure which console should you buy. "Play any AAA game you want for 2-6 hours for FREE!" has a fantastic ring to it.
Let’s see how this plays out. To me, if someone is insisting I provide them a slice of my product, whilst they enjoy money for it, and share nothing to me…then I’m actively going out my way to give it to their competitor for free as well, and make it accessible for no fee at all. But I’m a principled vindictive bastard.

Shmunter

Says you.

Because someone else is doing the heavy lifting in justifying Sony’s top tier subscription with no reward, while Sony gets to enjoy free money for the fruits of others labour.

What no one in your position (trials lead to increased sales) has explained is why, by in large developers have chosen not do this before on their own accord? I guess they’re all morons and Sony is the enlightened soul?
This is the topic to be discussed next. If gamepass is considered bad for the industry, this also must be explored for ramifications on said industry. Sharpening my knives and putting on my propeller thinking hat on

Last edited:

yurinka

To be clear this are two separated things:
-The trial or demo must be published maximum 3 months after the game release
-Once published, the trial/demo must be continue being available there for at least 12 months

Regarding this:
-Time limited full game trials is something embedded in the OS of the console, can be activated for any published game. No demo has to be programmed or tested. The publisher only has to specify how many hours long is going to be (minimum must be 2)

Regarding this there are three separated things:
-Inside PS+ Premium devs can include a full game time limited trial or a custom made demo, a separated sku from the normal game with its own coding and testing. I bet everybody will prefer the trial to reduce costs
-Only mandatory for non VR AAA games. For the games that isn't mandatory is optional: they can also put their trial/demo in PS+ Premium if desired
-Sony will continue allowing devs to publish demos, time limited full game trials or free weekends for free, open to all gamers (not only PS+ subbers) if they decide to make them, as happened until now
Regarding this:
-Before annoucing the feature Sony pretty likely mentioned, negotiated and agreeded it with the top publisher, who are the ones to be affected. But with their marketing and sales departments and/or higher ups. And these kind of things are under NDA so pretty likely aren't shared to all workers of the huge publishers until the platform holder decides to make it public.
-Pretty likely the ones who discovered it when added to the developer portal are small indies or some coder who is the last monkey to realize this kind of deals.

It will include all new AAA non VR games published in the console. Didn't specify if they will be playable via streaming or via download. I assume will be via download only because the server storage cost would be insane if they would have to include HDD with all the AAA catalog of at least the last year for PS4 and PS5 in each server or datacenter.

As I remember they made this in the free trials they had in PS+, the EA Play ones and the promotional ones they did for some games on PS.

-They didn't mention it, but super likely will include trial of the AAA 1st party games too.
-They didn't mention it but retail price of the games affected by this may be 59.99€ and up

yurinka

Says you.

We saw time limited full game trials in PSN since 2010, first on PS+, later as promotional demos and later in EA Play ran at a OS level, and even if they had to implement it completely by themselves, a countdown and a popup to redirect to the store can be made by a junior programmer in less than an hour.

What these trials/demos do is to encourage players to buy full games. And guess what, publishers get money for these bought games. With this Sony is helping them to sell more games and to premium users so to make more money.

All the AAA publishers are on board and they aren't morons. They are on board because they know it's good for them. If it would have been bad they would have rejected it. Obviously Sony won't mandate without negotiating and agreeing the details before with EA, Take 2, Ubisoft, Bandai Namco, and the other big 3rd party publishers (including Microsoft) because they are key partners for each other.

Last edited:

Ok & that shows that the trials demos will still be locked to PS Plus Premium
Game trials is 1 of the many perks of PS Plus Premium along with cloud streaming PS3 games
3rd Party Devs can choose to release their own demos ok cool
but if they choose not to the trial will be behind the highest tier of PS Plus
so again my point still stands that i don't like locking trials behind a paywall

Menzies

Banned
We saw time limited full game trials in PSN since 2010, first on PS+, later as promotional demos and later in EA Play ran at a OS level, and even if they had to implement it completely by themselves, a countdown and a popup to redirect to the store can be made by a junior programmer in less than an hour.

What these trials/demos do is to encourage players to buy full games. And guess what, publishers get money for these bought games. With this Sony is helping them to sell more games and to premium users so to make more money.

All the AAA publishers are on board and they aren't morons. They are on board because they know it's good for them. If it would have been bad they would have rejected it. Obviously Sony won't mandate without negotiating and agreeing the details before with EA, Take 2, Ubisoft, Bandai Namco, and the other big 3rd party publishers (including Microsoft) because they are key partners for each other.
Ok so the stars magically aligned just as Sony released a new subscription. All of a sudden an epiphany struck each of the AAA publishers all at once, when they just knew releasing timed demos now, and only now makes sense to increase sales.

I believe you, millions wouldn’t.

Top Bottom