• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q3 FY3/2024 Financial Results (Oct- Dec 2023): PS5 HW 8.2M, LTD 54.8M new forecast + SM2 at 10M

Mozza

The 14th quarter for Switch was the start of the Animal Crossing craze so PS5 won't be catching it now, anyway PS5 done well to stay close to PS4 and Switch with it's much higher price.
Price is not as simple a formula as some think, many on here see the Switch as expensive considering it's tech, I think the PS5 Is pretty awesome value considering what you get, and a 4K UHD Blu-ray player as well.

I do agree with you on it's never going to get close to Switch numbers, at this point I would say PS4 totals would be a pretty decent target.

Last edited:
How can you be sure that PS5 Pro will move any of the needles in a meaningful way?

If they follow the path of PS4 Pro then games could need patches to take advantage of the increased specs, which may or may not come depending on the title. Hopefully that's not the case this time around and upgrades just happen.

From the hardware side, once PS4 Pro released only about 25% of PS4's sold were the pro model. Most people still opted for the cheaper base PS4. I don't know that it would be much different this time around unless they stop selling PS5 base models. The average person will probably opt for the cheaper box, especially if prices stay where they are.

PS4 games need to be patched because games weren't built in advance around unlocked framerates. Times have changed.

Of course some patching may still be necessary for specific elements like ray tracing in games that don't have ray tracing, but in those cases the work would likely have been done on a PC version if they wanted to include ray tracing at all and were hardware restricted.

Only 25% lol... cute.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PS4 Pro sales were about 15%.

Many gamers during the last-gen were curious about how PlayStation 4 Pro would stand out in the competitive scene. Rest assured, it sold a gargantuan figure in its limited lifespan. A recent report by MegaXZero at Install Base forums confirms that the PS4 Pro rolled over an impressive 14.3 million units. The sales number is presumably from the recent Insomniac Games leak, which also resulted in the spillage of other notable sales data.

Even though PS4 sold more and ended at just under 120M, it's safe to say it topped out around 15% tops. 14.3M / 105.3M = 13.5%. It'll end up being +/- 1-2% pending how the final PS4 sales ended up, but it's mathematically impossible to hit even 20% unless basically all the final 10M sales were 100% PS4 Pro. 25% is numerically impossible.

The-PlayStation-4-Pro-sales-data-from-Install-Base-forums.jpeg

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It can also be said the other way… overinvestment.

Instead of taking 5 years and $100s of million for some of these games, they could be more modest and have smaller games come out quicker.

The "amount" of money would still be the same either way. 1 game for $215 million or 3 games with an average dev cost of $70 million a piece.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PS4 Pro sales were about 15%.

Many gamers during the last-gen were curious about how PlayStation 4 Pro would stand out in the competitive scene. Rest assured, it sold a gargantuan figure in its limited lifespan. A recent report by MegaXZero at Install Base forums confirms that the PS4 Pro rolled over an impressive 14.3 million units. The sales number is presumably from the recent Insomniac Games leak, which also resulted in the spillage of other notable sales data.

Even though PS4 sold more and ended at just under 120M, it's safe to say it topped out around 15% tops. 14.3M / 105.3M = 13.5%. It'll end up being +/- 1-2% pending how the final PS4 sales ended up, but it's mathematically impossible to hit even 20% unless basically all the final 10M sales were 100% PS4 Pro. 25% is numerically impossible.

The-PlayStation-4-Pro-sales-data-from-Install-Base-forums.jpeg

And I hope people understand why 15% of all PS4 sales for the PRO is a great number, considering the PRO came out 3 years after the PS4 basic.

Price is not as simple a formula as some think, many on here see the Switch as expensive considering it's tech, I think the PS5 Is pretty awesome value considering what you get, and a 4K UHD Blu-ray player as well.

I do agree with you on it's never going to get close to Switch numbers, at this point I would say PS4 totals would be a pretty decent target.
I agree, the PS5 is worth the premium price because of it's advanced tech but the average normie consumer just see's a very expensive console.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
These sales would be considered pretty good if they hadn't gone crazy with that 25 million forecast, the PS5 is just far too expensive to shift those kinds of numbers. The new forecast of 21 million is still very high and 1 million above the PS4's best fiscal year.
Sounds about time for a price drop then

The 8.2 million the PS5 shipped is equal to the best holiday quarter that the XB360 ever had, however the PS5 is spreading it's sales to other quarters unlike the XB360.

x1eRUMg.jpg

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
no new releases from any existing sony franchises in this financial year? if that was xbox this forum would be on fire.
But....I thought ppl wanted new IP? So now we want sequels and spin offs?

Which one is it?

And it said no new major games from existing franchises. Astro Bot would be a new game, but not considered a major one. Twisted Metal would be another one.

yurinka

Playstation 5 just overtook Lifetime sales of Super Nintendo, Gameboy Color and should pass Xbox One next quarter.

EiMrSDi.png
Thanks for sharing. I always saw GB and GBC numbers combined (I always thought they should be counted separatedly because of more powerful hardware and exclusive games plus each one had a generation long lifetime), where did you get them split? Did Nintendo share the numbers separated back in the time?

Last edited:
It's
Thanks for sharing. I always saw GB and GBC numbers combined (I always thought they should be counted separatedly because of more powerful hardware and exclusive games plus each one had a generation long lifetime), where did you get them split? Did Nintendo share the numbers separated back in the time?
It's just the Shipments up to the fiscal year ending 31st march 1998 for Gameboy and for Gameboy Color from 1st April 1998 onwards. The Gameboy Color released in October 1998 so it's not a perfect split since the April to September 1998 shipments would be all OG Gameboy (probably a couple of million) But after GB Color released the OG Gameboy was basically dead.

yurinka

It's

It's just the Shipments up to the fiscal year ending 31st march 1998 for Gameboy and for Gameboy Color from 1st April 1998 onwards. The Gameboy Color released in October 1998 so it's not a perfect split since the April to September 1998 shipments would be all OG Gameboy (probably a couple of million) But after GB Color released the OG Gameboy was basically dead.
ok thanks

Top Bottom