• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony State of Play (25th Feb - 2pm PT / 5pm ET / 10pm UK)

State of Play rate

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is Sony never said what was going to be shown and that's the main issue with these showcases. These companies have to realize most people want to see the big games and don't care about these small indie titles.

But I realize that this is probably their only way of bringing attention to these smaller titles.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

This went as I expected and as they pretty much advertised.

Sifu kinda looked interesting but that's all I have to say.

Returnal, nothing significant that we already didn't know or see gameplay wise. Looking forward to it of course.

Oh and Kena still looking cool.

Already made my comment about FFVIIRI in the other thread.

Why do people expect E3 level reveals? Like seriously, those shows tend to float on stuff literally years out from release, and State Of Plays are always focussed on the next few months worth of launches.

I mean I could get behind a sense of disappointment if other platforms were raining product, but they aren't!
Nah no one expected E3 level reveals. We expected updates on games that were already announced for PS like JHorizon Forbidden West. Something to get excited for the PS5 platform.
Instead half the show was rehashed shit from previous State of Play's with a little bit of gamplay added in.
Why not discuss or show off a short video of the tech they're working on for PSVR. Just show us something different.
Jim's been flapping his gums in interviews all week. Not even he could drum up a little bit of excitement for this State Of Play.

Gamerguy84

So after sitting on my thoughts a bit, Sony needs to rebrand these specials. They got our hopes up of seeing something new and exciting. I personally am not much of an "indie" guy so MOST of what I saw was just boring as heck to me, but I watched all the way through because maybe there was something new and cool at the end...Not a DLC for an episodic game to try and take another 40 bucks from people before they try to take another 60-70 for the next "part" of FFVII.

State of Play: Indie Showcase - There, expectations can be set with two simple words tacked to the end. Nobody goes in expecting GOW2, HZD2, Silent Hill, anything from a big company and people like me can just wait til it hits Youtube and skip over the stuff that isn't interesting.
Taken from warnings of the past I don't really expect major announcements from any SOP.

Personally liked Kena, FF7, Desthloop, and put 13 more people on ignore so wasn't bad at all.

Banjo64

cumsessed
And it's not out until next year
Imagine coming out with verbal diarrhoea like this when Sony announced The Last Guardian, FF VII Remake, The Last of Us 2, God Of War Ragnorok, Gran Turismo 7 literally 2, 3 and even 5 years in advance :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy: How I imagine you;

Season 6 Nbc GIF by The Office

Welp. Tried to warn you guys.
Yeah, managed to tune in and only watch 10minutes but in future I'm avoiding these State Of Play's like the plague.

Can't be arsed to sit through fucking 30 minutes of indie trash.

Could have just labelled this an 'Indie Showcase' so I don't waste my time tuning in.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Imagine coming out with verbal diarrhoea like this when Sony announced The Last Guardian, FF VII Remake, The Last of Us 2, God Of War Ragnorok, Gran Turismo 7 literally 2, 3 and even 5 years in advance :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy: How I imagine you;

Season 6 Nbc GIF by The Office
I think it's highly likely Horizon is 2022. But 2021 is not 100% impossible. Guerrilla always had a launch game in the past, and they are building most of this off the last game they made from the looks of it.

But yeah, COVID is a bitch.

kyussman

Did I mishear or did that Dodgeball dev say they had been working on that game for four years.....fuck me,I guess never underestimate the desire to create the next big thing in the multiplayer space....of course the reality is most of these games fall by the wayside very quickly and that looks like it will join the ranks....four years,blimey!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It was a bad state of play, no spinning it. Pencil me in for Crash 4 next month and Kena in August. Skipping Returnal and Yuffie DLC. Thats all she wrote.

Resident Evil VIII will save videogames.

yurinka

Horizon still has no release date. I'm thinking it gets delayed into next year. Hope I'm wrong.
Horizon is H2 2021, like GoWR. Unless they got a very recent big impact due to covig they won't be delayed to next year, they had enough development time compared to their previous games.

Another thing to consider is they may hold back to start showing and revealing dates for some games like gow2 and HZ2 because of the lack of PS5 stocks.
Sony has a lot exclusives to be released during H1 2021 and they should market them. There are games like Guilty Gear Strive or Ratchet, or even the GTAV PS5 thing that weren't shown there. It's time for them to market these games now, specially considering they are supply constrained.

It would make sense to wait until summer/E3 to show their big H2 2021 games like GoWR and Horizon 2, once the H1 2021 are released and once they have enough PS5 stock in the stores.

*Everything* is being delayed.
The only recent Sony game with a decent delay was GT7 being delayed from "2021" to 2022.

Last edited:

Woopah

It's been said before and it'll be said again, Covid has done a real number on the games industry At first I thought it was just Nintendo that had struggled badly with it, but now it looks like it's everyone.
We all know the rest of their lineup is going to be more halfassed ports and maybe a shitty pokemon game from gamefreak again

And sorry I just don't think a niche weeb jrpg is noteworthy. Same way crap like Deathloop isn't
Both those games will sell over 1 million copies and have average review scores in the 80s. They are both noteworthy exclusives.

Skifi28

They didn't even announce the PS plus games for March. They were supposed to be revealed yesterday and I thought they held off for a cool announcement in the state of play, but nope.

Animagic

Banned
The absolute state of play.
This is what this felt like:

6Yug8Rr.jpg

Like, why even have an event at all?

Last edited:

WildBoy

Sifu in portuguese means "Get fu". My God.

Also... that was worse than Nintendo's.
I Agree... At least Nintendo had surprises like Mythra in Smash, Mario Golf, Splatoon 3, Neon White and even them joycons... Sony's was just really predictable and quite banal... I had low expectations going in and boy did they failed to even meet those... Predictions below:

Kena bridge of Spirits gets shadow dropped.
Little devil inside gameplay snippet
Odd world soul storm release date
Solar Ash Is a ps plus game for march.
Stray trailer
GTA5 Trailer and release date
Pragmata
Suprise first party game
Last of us 2 factions
Horizon Trailer. Releases November.

Alex Scott

If SONY would have showed games like Horizon or GoW then they would have taken spotlights away from the other smaller games. SoP play was alright. 6/10.
The Crash Bandicoot game they showed at first could have been a twitter post TBH.

Krisprolls

Banned
Oh fuck off !!!

We got Deathloop...again,
We got Kena...again,
We got Abe...again,
Returnal...again,

What was new here? SIFU ? or whatever the fuck that indie game is.

Like these fucking games were already showed off in previous State Of Play's. We know what's coming and we've seen gameplay of these before. Why dedicate half the fucking show to these titles. I'd rather them chat about PSVR for a bit if they don't have anything to new to announce or show off.

You have to be fucking high if you think this was a good show.

The goal was mostly showing new videos of games to come. It did exactly that and I'm fine with it. It's not their fault if people believe State of Play is something it's not.

Last edited:

CamHostage

LOL they have been doing State of Plays for two years, you know what to expect.
They're not big conferences meant to showcase new AAA stuff, they're small events focused on updates about soon to be released games.
Big digital events like the ones they did in June and September shows are totally different. They're also called differently ("Future of gaming", "PS5 Digital Showcase Event").

Yeah, we need a better hierarchy, like a Alert Level color-wheel of how important a show is going to be and what type of titles to expect. A calm Green for State of Play, Orange for Future of Gaming, Red Alert for Digital Showcase Event...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom