• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koppai

I'm hoping it comes to AT&T somewhere down the line. I have a couple of months before I'm upgrade eligible but I'm not completely sold on the S5. I also don't know if I have the patience to wait until fall for the Nexus 6.

Yeah my upgrade for AT&T is in October and I'm so tired of my Galaxy S3. Didn't realize how cheaply designed it was made and how slow it is now even after I took everything off it and updated it.

My favorite tech brands are Nintendo, Sony (I have PS2, PS3, PS4, and PSV now), Google, and Microsoft (well for Windows when it isn't garbage)

I had an iPhone as my first smartphone and it wasn't too bad, so I'm waiting to see what Apple brings to the table as well.

liger05

I’m not due an upgrade to November (could do in July if I pushed it). Can we expect another phone from Sony in the Winter?

Kyoufu

I’m not due an upgrade to November (could do in July if I pushed it). Can we expect another phone from Sony in the Winter?

Z2 Compact or Ultra probably. Don't know if they'd release Z3 so soon, but they are seemingly on a 6 month cycle.

Dommel

For people that already got it or plan on getting it: what kind of protection do you plan on using on it? I like the way it looks and will feel bad about putting it in something but I know "I'll be careful" won't work, said that with every phone and no matter how safe you try to be with it it will fall (well at least for me). On my S3 I have back/side plastic protection thing and it saved my ass many times.

So now I was looking at pics of z2 and not sure what to get.. Not fan of those flip cases that cover it all and you have to open it, or that make it much more bulky..

I never use any cases or covers, absolutely hate the feeling of the touchscreen when it's covered with a thin layer of plastic and cases are pretty useless because they only protect the back.

It's a phone, something you use on a daily basis. It's going to get scratched and bruised and dinged and whatever.

I got a free flipcover with mine, not going to use it but took a picture anyway. For the other poster asking how big it was in my hands another picture.

I've got fairly big hands so the phone doesn't feel too big. Can still reach everything on the screen while holding it in one hand.

After using it for a few days I haven't discovered anything negative. Pleasantly surprised by how unobtrusive the Sony software is. I was using stock android on my old Galaxy Nexus so was expecting to be more annoyed by it but so far can't say I'm longing to get stock back asap.

IMG_20140403_225726.jpg

IMG_20140403_225802.jpg

Kyoufu

Android Authority's review states that the 3200mAh battery is really good and when you use the power saving features it's even better. It can last over a day depending on how it's used.

demented

There are cases available for the Z1 that don't add much bulk and protect the sides and back. If I find any for the Z2 I'll post them here, but personally I think I'm not going to use a case. The phone is too sexy to cover up!
Sexy indeed but that's why I wanna keep it safe and find right looking cover, but I've got few months to go anyway.
nothing for now. all the cases ive seen so far only seem to ruin the phone look
Yeah, hopefully something good comes out.
I never use any cases or covers, absolutely hate the feeling of the touchscreen when it's covered with a thin layer of plastic and cases are pretty useless because they only protect the back.

It's a phone, something you use on a daily basis. It's going to get scratched and bruised and dinged and whatever.

I got a free flipcover with mine, not going to use it but took a picture anyway.

I don't agree with scratched and damaged. I keep my phones for a while and most of time they have barely a scratch on them. Always a screen protector and something to lessen the impact if it falls, and it has over the years many times unfortunately but still kept up pretty good (galaxy s3). I guess the main reason I do this because I always sell the phone when buying new one so it's important for it to be in best condition possible.

longdi

Banned
Seems like you can double tap to wake up but you cannot double tap to sleep! The power button is stiff...

love the double tap mode on my friend G2, oh Sony...

btw you will need to update the latest firmware which has much improved touchscreen sensitivity. but find it annoying i still need to update firmware through my PC with an installed sony program...

Do we know if the Z2 features will come over to Z1? (double-tap, the dumb Google Now secondary option, etc?)

Currently, the latest update only brings the 4.4 transparent bars, as well as the 4.3 double panels for notification area.

On a side-note though, I really like the new 'Air' default wallpaper theme for the new update.

It's very 'Sony' through-and-through, but it's a lot more subdued than the old versions, much classier and because it's a live wallpaper that only does subtle movements and colour changes, it doesn't feel 'in your face' but manages to not feel stale.

The Z1 hardware doesn't support double tap to wake, the Xperia Z does though, but I doubt the Z will get an update to enable the feature.

vivftp

I actually like the power button on my Z Ultra. The only thing holding it back is the case I have it in, which makes it a bit more difficult to push.

kudoboi

bought the phone today in white. I love the phone so far and it could easily replace my HTC one.

I am disappointed that the only accessories provided is the charger and the earpiece. The charger is wrong, the pin does not even match the one used in Singapore and the output is completely different. The earpiece given is similar to the MDR-E9LP which some might like and some might hate but this type of earpiece cannot fit into my ear and i always find them loose. I was hoping for at least a rubber tip type of earpiece.

The speaker is softer than my HTC one but is much clearer. However I am using 2 different equalizers for both. I am using Noozxoide Ezio-Rewire PRO on my HTC one and ClearAudio+ on my Z2. Tested with Spotify.

The Z2 feels heavier than the HTC one but it might just be me.

Cannot comment on the Sony default launcher because I switched to Nova the second i got the phone.

More disappointments-
  1. Sony apps updates are inconsistent. Some are updated through google play while others are updated through the system update. The system updates are also unreliable. On my phone, it says that there is no system updates available, however, there is an update once i installed their xperia program on my PC
  2. Vibration motor is weaker than HTC one
  3. Double Tap to wake screen is inconsistent. It only seems to work at a certain angle and only with the thumb. Sometimes 3 taps would work while other times it require 10+ taps and there were even 1 or 2 occasions where it flat out didn't work

Lockscreen while playing music and while not playing music

There is no difference in terms of regular usage when using both HTC one and Z2. They are both smooth as butter for regular app usage and browsing.

The flaps for the microUSB cable seems flimsy so I would recommend getting a a magnetic charging cable. There is also a issue going on right now where the front camera is nearer to the top right than in the middle. My set did not have this problem.

Not going to comment on camera since i am not a good photographer but the images looked more or less the same in indoor usage.
Cannot comment on Battery Life as i only used the phone for 5 hours. The estimated battery time is severely off though. 10 hours left with 15% battery, seriously?

The phone customization is splendid. I am not sure if this was in Z1 but the fact that you can apply themes to the status bar, nav bar and overall design without rooting is simply amazing. One example is Triflat

The screen quality is a lot better than the HTC one. it has better viewing angles and the contrast is sharper.

Faith

After reading the specs: this is probably the best smartphone on the market?

I'm still waiting for Snapdragon 805.

kudoboi

After reading the specs: this is probably the best smartphone on the market?

I'm still waiting for Snapdragon 805.

not anymore. the Oppo find 7, LG G3 ( leaked specs) and Galaxy S5 Premium/ Advanced ( leaked specs) have better hardware than the Z2.

gogogow

I am disappointed that the only accessories provided is the charger and the earpiece. The charger is wrong, the pin does not even match the one used in Singapore and the output is completely different. The earpiece given is similar to the MDR-E9LP which some might like and some might hate but this type of earpiece cannot fit into my ear and i always find them loose. I was hoping for at least a rubber tip type of earpiece.

Wow, that's really dissapointing. They included a super standard earphone. It's not even a IEM and I was expecting the MDR-NC31EM with noise cancellation...... They better not pull that crap over here in Europe. I paid €650 for the Z2 (pre-order) and we are getting it LATE (May).

GQman2121

Banned
Does T-mobile no longer have first right of refusal on Sony phones in the US? From my understanding the Z and Z1 have done well for them since last summer.

Kyoufu

Wow, that's really dissapointing. They included a super standard earphone. It's not even a IEM and I was expecting the MDR-NC31EM with noise cancellation...... They better not pull that crap over here in Europe. I paid €650 for the Z2 (pre-order) and we are getting it LATE (May).

If your order description doesn't state that includes the NC earphones then I wouldn't expect one in the box.

The one from Amazon includes it. Other places are giving away Bluetooth speakers instead I think.

gogogow

If your order description doesn't state that includes the NC earphones then I wouldn't expect one in the box.

The one from Amazon includes it. Other places are giving away Bluetooth speakers instead I think.

The NC IEM is not a "gift", it's supposed to be in the box for some countries. The gift i'm getting is the MDR-10RC. Some retailers in the UK are even giving away Sony LED TVs...

nE0Anit.jpg

Edit: just read the description and it did say a noise cancellation headset is included! Yay! Hopefully that's true.

Kyoufu

I have the non-NC version of those headphones and they're the most comfortable cans I've ever worn. You're going to love them.

Amazon's Z2 preorder includes the NC earphones and they're also giving a £50 voucher to those that buy it before April 30, so I'm using that on the DK36 magnetic charging dock, so basically the order will have the same contents as the Singapore version. :3

Mokubba

So it's most likely going to be released at the end of this month in the UK then, going by the pre order deadline date on Amazon.

Seanbob11

I have the non-NC version of those headphones and they're the most comfortable cans I've ever worn. You're going to love them.

Amazon's Z2 preorder includes the NC earphones and they're also giving a £50 voucher to those that buy it before April 30, so I'm using that on the DK36 magnetic charging dock, so basically the order will have the same contents as the Singapore version. :3

I've been thinking about this. What sim plan are you going to go with?

Mario007

not anymore. the Oppo find 7, LG G3 ( leaked specs) and Galaxy S5 Premium/ Advanced ( leaked specs) have better hardware than the Z2.

Well I'll give you Oppo Find 7 but you can't be putting the leaked specs for unannounced devices in there. We don't know when the G3 or S5 Premium will release. Also Sony will release a Z3 this year as well, so that's a bit moot.

kudoboi

The NC IEM is not a "gift", it's supposed to be in the box for some countries. The gift i'm getting is the MDR-10RC. Some retailers in the UK are even giving away Sony LED TVs...

nE0Anit.jpg

Edit: just read the description and it did say a noise cancellation headset is included! Yay! Hopefully that's true.

would have preferred those 2 instead of the smartband. just tried the earpiece that they gave and it is the worst thing ever. It literally felt like a knife going into my ear when trying to put it on because the rubber at the side is so thin. and just as expected, it does not fit my ear and drops out every 5 seconds.

edit: Extremely satisfied with the battery life

Cannot comment on the Sony default launcher because I switched to Nova the second i got the phone.

The flaps for the microUSB cable seems flimsy

The phone customization is splendid. I am not sure if this was in Z1 but the fact that you can apply themes to the status bar, nav bar and overall design without rooting is simply amazing. One example is Triflat

That's a shame you aren't using the Sony launcher. It's easily the best available from all phone makers. Don't worry about the flaps. I've had my Z for over a year and those flimsy flaps are still fine.

As for themes, they have certainly been present since at least Z, perhaps even before. They have recently expanded and vastly increased the number of themes available though.

spwolf

That's a shame you aren't using the Sony launcher. It's easily the best available from all phone makers. Don't worry about the flaps. I've had my Z for over a year and those flimsy flaps are still fine.

As for themes, they have certainly been present since at least Z, perhaps even before. They have recently expanded and vastly increased the number of themes available though.

i think 4.3 firmware from month ago expanded the theming greatly.

gogogow

I don't know about that. Can you even customize the amount of icons you can have? It has a 1080p screen and there are only 4 icons/apps next to each other. I have a SP right now and I AFAIK there's no option to do that, unless you go for a thrid party launcher, like Nova.

Gibbo

Loving how easy it is to change themes on this phone. I made a mess of my previous phone (s3) With custom launchers and icons

Loving how easy it is to change themes on this phone. I made a mess of my previous phone (s3) With custom launchers and icons

This.

I alternate between different themes every few days, from Sony default to Nova to Aviate, whatever fits my fancy in-between.

Right now, all I need is an Xperia Theme with stock Android navigation buttons ( I don't like how stylised the home button designs for default and the available theming options are ), and it's 100% set for everything.

Dommel

looks pretty bad dat Z2 photo output...

It looks fine to me, what's so bad about it?

Keep in mind I was happy with my Galaxy Nexus camera and my pictures never make it beyond social media.

I've been using the phone daily now since I got back and I'm very impressed with the battery life.

I'm not so sure I like the glass rear, it feels kinda sticky after the holding the phone for a longer period. Or maybe I just need to shower more...

darkwing

It looks fine to me, what's so bad about it?

Keep in mind I was happy with my Galaxy Nexus camera and my pictures never make it beyond social media.

I've been using the phone daily now since I got back and I'm very impressed with the battery life.

I'm not so sure I like the glass rear, it feels kinda sticky after the holding the phone for a longer period. Or maybe I just need to shower more...

just wash the phone if it gets icky after a while, that is what my wife does with her Z1C

dannethmps

Neo Member
I'm deciding on the z2, s5 and m8 I think the m8 is out of the picture now from what I have read the camera and screen seem to be the weakest of the 3 phones, so just leaves me with this and the s5

daveo42

Banned
I'm deciding on the z2, s5 and m8 I think the m8 is out of the picture now from what I have read the camera and screen seem to be the weakest of the 3 phones, so just leaves me with this and the s5

I'm kind of on the same boat right now, but I'm looking at getting the Z1s over the S5 as the biggest turnoff for me right now is the camera on the M8. Anyone give a good comparison between Z1s and the Z2? I'm not sure I can hold out all that long for a new phone. I really need to get rid of this Galaxy Nexus.

longdi

Banned
I'm kind of on the same boat right now, but I'm looking at getting the Z1s over the S5 as the biggest turnoff for me right now is the camera on the M8. Anyone give a good comparison between Z1s and the Z2? I'm not sure I can hold out all that long for a new phone. I really need to get rid of this Galaxy Nexus.

get Z2. I was like you, betwen Z1s or Z2. Waited for Z1s because of the small ff, but alas once i saw how the soft buttons came into play, the actual view area is pretty too small for me, internet browsing is impeded too much. Furthermore Z1s uses a plastic back and a bit too stubby on the sides. The screen quality is behind ZU, while Z2 is noticeably better than ZU.

however the Z2 is a tall phone, taller than Note3, so expect to use 2 hands. and do avoid the white Z2 because there have been couple of reports where the front glass was not probably placed, leaving gaps along the edges http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/84826335-post4557.html

daveo42

Banned
get Z2. I was like you, betwen Z1s or Z2. Waited for Z1s because of the small ff, but alas once i saw how the soft buttons came into play, the actual view area is pretty too small for me, internet browsing is impeded too much. Furthermore Z1s uses a plastic back and a bit too stubby on the sides. The screen quality is behind ZU, while Z2 is noticeably better than ZU.

however the Z2 is a tall phone, taller than Note3, so expect to use 2 hands. and do avoid the white Z2 because there have been couple of reports where the front glass was not probably placed, leaving gaps along the edges http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/84826335-post4557.html

I should have mentioned this in my previous post, but the only thing holding me back on the Z2 is there's no hard date on a release in the US. Thanks for the heads up on the potential issue with the white Z2. My play was always to go for the black one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom