• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: War of the Damned - the conclusion of a legendary journey - Fri on Starz

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevDM

Banned
450px-Spartacus1.jpg

aparisi2274

Finale was amazing, and I LOVED the final scene after the credits with ANDY "MOTHER FUCKING" Whitfield screaming "I AM SPARTACUS!!!"

OMG. Epic episode and finale.

Loved the series, it is so damn precious to me.

Felt every character got a good send off.

I want that damn Caesar spin-off NOW!!!! This series cannot end, i need something from it to return.

Pkaz01

Now thats how you fucking go out on top. Great ending..

Fuck Caesar and his spin off he isnt as interesting as any of the brotherhood 3 and he is a douche

demolitio

Great finale. They handled the inevitable ending very well to where it still felt satisfying. Lots of great lines that will be remembered for quite some time in my selective memory.

TheExodu5

Banned
I thought it was alright. Nothing was terribly unpredicted.

The only thing that brought a tear to my eye was Andy Whitfield at the end of the credits. :(

RevDM

Banned
Now thats how you fucking go out on top. Great ending..

Fuck Caesar and his spin off he isnt as interesting as any of the brotherhood 3 and he is a douche

One of the few times I wish I knew more about history. Does Caesar turn face and do some bad ass shit against popular command?

MG310

Now I'm thinking they had Agron get crucified just so show us that "Hey, sometimes people survive that" just to mess with us when it happened to Gannicus.

For a show who's foundation is hyper violence and nudity, it really is amazing the show was as good as it turned out to be. It really shouldn't have been this good. Which is clearly evident when you've seen other shows/creaters on stars and other networks try and duplicate the formula.

Rur0ni

Now I'm thinking they had Agron get crucified just so show us that "Hey, sometimes people survive that" just to mess with us when it happened to Gannicus.
Well Agron was nailed through the hands. Gannicus through the wrists. Though I reckon that's survivable, it felt like a send off. And speaking of crucifixion, that was a long road of slaves/free men and women crucified. Shame about Kore.

Sulla1980

One of the few times I wish I knew more about history. Does Caesar turn face and do some bad ass shit against popular command?

Do you mean immediately? The show elevated Caesar's role in the war against Spartacus. Probably because he is more easily identifiable than Crassus. I thought they did a great job with Crassus, though. I have always kinda thought he was a dick.

CyReN

My emotions, my god what an amazing end to the series. Major props to Liam McIntyre, I wasn't sure at first but he proved me wrong.

demolitio

I thought Caesar was by far the most interesting person this season. Is he actually getting a spinoff? That would be awesome.

I think the same thing. Not necessarily a person you love, but a good character nonetheless. People have been talking about a spin-off for a while and that last scene where they finally showed Pompey meeting Crassus and Caesar and talking about their alliance going forward.

No, but, he does overthrow the Republic and create an empire that would have Europe under it's boot for a long time.

You guys should watch HBO's Rome if you haven't already. Fucking amazing series as well.

The last part with Andy had me going with all dem feels. Great series, and glad to see they ended it on a high note instead of dragging it across 4 more seasons or something lame like that.

demolitio

You guys should watch HBO's Rome if you haven't already. Fucking amazing series as well.

The last part with Andy had me going with all dem feels. Great series, and glad to see they ended it on a high note instead of dragging it across 4 more seasons or something lame like that.

One of my favorite series of all time. Too bad their budget was absurd and there were so many other shows HBO was interested in at the time. Spartacus filled the void in my heart from Rome even if they were completely different styles.

Sulla1980

I think the same thing. Not necessarily a person you love, but a good character nonetheless. People have been talking about a spin-off for a while and that last scene where they finally showed Pompey meeting Crassus and Caesar and talking about their alliance going forward.

I guess that if there were a Caesar spinoff, the series would build up to the civil war. That might step on "Rome's" toes a bit.

Plus I don't know who you would cheer for
Cato

Mxrz

Damn. Hard to watch, harder to believe that is really the end.

Spartacus army seemed to be kicking ass and then all of a sudden it switched around. Crassus' army must've been using a morale hack. They get flanked, lured, burned, and then set upon by their own artillery.

There's no way Spartacus, even injured could be beaten by Crassus, and that moment where he caught the blade and then looked up was pretty damn epic. Almost expected it to be Kore that stabbed Spartacus in the back.

Caesar came off as a complete wimp after he went back to the Romans. He gets raped, gets slapped, and even Crassus beats on him. That's suppose to be Julius fucking Caesar there. Even this version of the character was pretty badass while he was in Sinuessa. That was disappointing.

But I'd still like to see a spinoff, if only to see some consequences and misfortune that they have coming. As it is, Crassus and even Caesar got off a little too easy. Crassus destroying his 'family' was pretty undersold compared to all he did to others.

Gannicus send off was okay, but the sudden change from the Roman army being in disarray to forming a shieldwall around him was a little jerky. For all the foreshadowing about him becoming a leader, it ended up being a little shallow.

Saxa and Naevia basically got the same death, seemingly just to upset Gannicus. Naevia didn't even get to kill anyone as she died. Lugo went out like a boss in comparison.

Agron lives! Makes sense, one of the original brotherhood had to make it and he was the only one left.

Maybe they wanted to leave it as a mystery, but it seemed a little cold that Spartacus wouldn't share his real name at the end. There's a whole metaphor about the man dying, but the legend living on and all, but still.

Mxrz

I tried to rewatch Rome a few weeks ago. And while I still think its excellent, Spartacus has changed the game. Rome feels positively tame in comparison, and the lead characters are far more. . . reserved? formal? But overall less human, less endearing. There's basically Pullo, Aita, and maybe Vorenous on occasion, that you can root for.

DeKnight's take on the rise of Caesar would likely be dramatically different. Far more bloody, far more human, and far more T & A.

TheExodu5

Banned
Am I the only one that was relatively untouched by the episode? I'm someone that's not afraid to shed a tear during a sad movie, but nothing had me going here at all.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
:(

Don't think I've ever been so moved by ending credits before.

Made me want to go back and watch it all over again.

Ditto, seeing all the characters made me want to start up season 1 immediately and do a marathon. So badass. My gf missed it I cant wait to rewatch the finale with her tomorrow.

Tokubetsu

iNKJ3Pv3CBq2H.gif

Me for the entire last half of this episode but I still managed to lose it even more seeing Spartacus go. Liam really grew into and I'm glad Crassus was denied the satisfaction of both his death and victory.

I'm on amazon right now, ordering Vengeance BR and pre-ordering War of The Damned.

Funny about all this, if you had told me three years ago that I would feel nothing for the Fringe finale, but be a wreck over the Spartacus one...I would have laughed.

MG310

Now Crassus gets to spend decades overcompensating for that beating. :D

On another note - they probably could have just painted Simon Merrells torso silver and nobody would have noticed he wasn't wearing armor.

Zabka

Here's a small article on Simon Merrells physical transformation for the show:

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/success-stories/a-spartacus-fitness-transformation

It's amazing what you can do in half a year.

On the first day of boot camp (a four-week training program before filming), Bell put Merrells through a fitness test. The results were troubling. “We took him for a run, but he couldn’t finish it,” Bell says. “Pushups, situps: both under ten. He couldn’t do a single pullup. I was told, ‘We need to make this guy look like Brad Pitt from Fight Club.’” So Bell pulled Merrells out of boot camp and trained him one on one to get him up to speed.

The entire article is worth a read, plus there's a 75+ min podcast w/ DeKnight linked, but I just wanted to post the intro to Maureen Ryan's writeup on the show and the finale:
When I try to convey to people who don't watch "Spartacus" why I love the Starz show so much, it comes down to trying to communicate this idea: it makes me feel taken care of.

During every episode, whether all the elements fully work or not, I feel that those making the show are trying their best to entertain me, to move me, to make me care and to even make me think a little. No matter how many bare asses we see, nothing about this show feels half-assed.

I watch a lot of TV, and not much of it is as carefully thought out and painstakingly crafted as this show. And yet, "Spartacus" is cathartic, entertainingly melodramatic and funny as well. For three years now, it's consistently delivered a mixture of escapism, adventure and dramatic ambition that more lauded (and expensive) shows only rarely supply. And through it all, "Spartacus" didn't take itself too seriously, although it has become more measured in this final season, which is only right, given the magnitude of the threat Spartacus faces and how much we have come to care for those leading the rag-tag rebel army.

You know what there wasn't a lot of in the final season? Sex. I respected and enjoyed the show's embrace of sensuality, but I didn't mind the relative lack of sex in this final batch of episodes. "Spartacus" has always been about so much more than that, and the emotional threads that run through the show have always been what kept me coming back for more.

"There's definitely a deeper meaning in all the spectacle that we strive for, and for me, I think it's obvious -- the emotional levels of the show" are the most important things about it, creator Steven DeKnight said in a post-finale interview (which can be found below and here).

Though perceptions of the show have changed over time, a distressing number of people still can't or won't make the mental leap that would allow them to enjoy what this show offers. Too many people still think a show about half-naked slaves encrusted with dirt and mud must be sloppy, lazy, dumb and derivative. There are some who can't wrap their minds around what we "Spartacus" fans have understood for some time. We know that this lusty drama is also tender. We know this violent drama is deeply humane and compassionate. We know that the ornate, profane language is also poetic. We know the violence and the sex are there for specific purposes, and the characters are often smart as hell. We are well aware that this saga of sex, swords and conquest actually has something important to say about freedom, oppression and equality.

We know that, like a gladiator on the sacred sands, "Spartacus" has demonstrated a killer combination of humility (like a true warrior, the show has always aspired to improve itself) and perseverance (the show stuck to its guns, creatively speaking, and it always possessed a fervent, even lunatic desire to get the job done).

In its series finale, "Spartacus" did not leave its job unfinished. It ended the rebels' story in an episode packed with excitement, mourning, dignity and heart-stopping deaths. We could ask for no more than the glorious ending we got Friday night.

To the people who not only didn't get it, but have no desire to try to see beyond their preconceptions, I have several choice words that would make even Batiatus blush. But ultimately, those people are to be pitied. To those who've long known how hard this show has worked to keep us glued to the TV on Friday nights, I only ask: Were you not entertained?

I fucking was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom