• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spencer: Game Pass is very, very sustainable right now as it sits and it continues to grow

MonarchJT

Banned
it just looks kinda shady in my eyes.

We keep getting told it's going well, growing, sustainable, insert your PR language here.

I don't see a reason why they won't show the numbers unless there are some ridiculous amounts of money being given to some game developers to put their work on game pass.

If game pass is doing well, fantastic, more power to gamers that are getting a good deal, but i detest this you need to trust me spiel.

Words are cheap, facts and figures, people are not asking for alot.
so the insanity of your reason is that one of the most money-making companies in the world has been lying to their investors for years for the sheer pleasure of throwing money into a market that from long time doesn't work for them and that doesn't even see them excel just to piss off some neogaf users.Okay. In which market analysis university did you study guys?

Last edited:

reksveks

We keep getting told it's going well, growing, sustainable, insert your PR language here.

I don't see a reason why they won't show the numbers unless there are some ridiculous amounts of money being given to some game developers to put their work on game pass.
Companies just don't promote being number two in a sector unless they get forced to by investors aka peacock and the other svod companies. Its definitely PR and could be seen as 'shady' . I would say that your reason is a possible reason but I don't think it's the likely reason or at least the largest reason, I stick with the fact that they are still smaller than the competition.

kingfey

Banned

If game pass is doing well, fantastic, more power to gamers that are getting a good deal, but i detest this you need to trust me spiel.

Words are cheap, facts and figures, people are not asking for alot.
What numbers do you need? Does sub service even have numbers to make a profit to begin with?

This isnt a sales copies, where the numbers go up only. Its why numbers are useless to gauge.

You need to look at the games. Gamepass is getting day1 AAA games. That is succesfull

Kssio_Aug

Gamers don’t need to know sales numbers, it’s all fanboy fodder and will be skewed anyway anyone seems fit. If I were him I wouldn’t even say as much as he did.
Yeah. PR talk or not, right now I'm like...

happiness bay GIF

If it turns out that it was indeed just PR talk, and Game Pass or Xbox fail, well... life moves on, it was good while it lasted. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But I'm definitely not gonna be cheering against it, neither losing sleep over it. But the way they're supporting GP right now seems indicative that it is good business for MS.

Last edited:
Companies just don't promote being number two in a sector unless they get forced to by investors aka peacock and the other svod companies. Its definitely PR and could be seen as 'shady' . I would say that your reason is a possible reason but I don't think it's the likely reason or at least the largest reason, I stick with the fact that they are still smaller than the competition.
One very valid reason for not disclosing Gamepass revenue and profit is that it's kinda hard to measure. Simply adding up what people paid for the sub service and subtracting what MS paid for Gamepass games doesn't really do it justice. What about DLC revenue from games played via Gamepass? How do you measure Gamepass costs for first party games? How do you account for the revenue that happens when someone who played a game on Gamepass bought it after it left Gamepass? And so on and so on.

sircaw

Banned
so the insanity of your reason is that one of the most money-making companies in the world has been lying to their investors for years for the sheer pleasure of throwing money into a market that from long time doesn't work for them and that doesn't even see them excel just to piss off some neogaf users.Okay. In which market analysis university did you study guys?
"Insanity", stop being so bloody ridiculous,

Why don't you want some transparency in what Microsoft is doing?

Seriously, you're failings to even acknowledge the most simplest of requests is beginning to sound like you're on the take or something.

People are not allowed to even ask the basics,, any criticism of a beloved company has people like yourself going off the roof and rails.

I want to see the numbers, that's it, stop trying to make it out as something wrong.

reksveks

One very valid reason for not disclosing Gamepass revenue and profit is that it's kinda hard to measure. Simply adding up what people paid for the sub service and subtracting what MS paid for Gamepass games doesn't really do it justice. What about DLC revenue from games played via Gamepass? How do you measure Gamepass costs for first party games? How do you account for the revenue that happens when someone who played a game on Gamepass bought it after it left Gamepass? And so on and so on.
Forgot to mention that reason as well. It's why I don't like the Netflix/SVOD comparison.

kingfey

Banned

Seriously, you're failings to even acknowledge the most simplest of requests is beginning to sound like you're on the take or something.

People are not allowed to even ask the basics,, any criticism of a beloved company has people like yourself going off the roof and rails.

I want to see the numbers, that's it, stop trying to make it out as something wrong.
What numbers?

MonarchJT

Banned

because I'm not an investor but a gamer and this is not a financial forum. Microsoft has made it possible for gamers to access a huge library of AAA games for a few pennies following the Netflix model. And what gamers do Instead of playing and enjoying of this absolutely pro-consumer model that rewards the customer "Well yes i want know!" "wants the data!" "we does not trust!" "you never know eh!" ....
And when the Xbox Boss repeatedly says "don't worry about gamepass everything's ok, think about playing" or "it's very very sustainable" how do gamers always comment instead of playing? "liar" "is hiding something from us" "usually pr"

Are you sure I'm the ridiculous one?
meanwhile 90+ mc AAA games continue to come to gamepass

Last edited:

Helghan

Makes sense, I'm paying full price for it, I know others that do the same. I don't think many users are still $1 users. That's like saying everyone buying games buys it 2nd hand

sircaw

Banned
because I'm not an investor but a gamer and this is not a financial forum. Microsoft has made it possible for gamers to access a huge library of AAA games for a few pennies following the Netflix model. And what gamers do Instead of playing and enjoying of this absolutely pro-consumer model that rewards the customer Well yes ! wants the data! does not trust! you never know eh! ....

Are you sure I'm the ridiculous one?
Yes, you are sounding ridiculous, simple requests like Transparency are being met with a " you shall not pass mentality"

Why is that?,

Why is having some Transparency such a big worry to you?

If they are doing well, why would you not want to see the evidence?

You really are going out of you way to defend a multi-billion company for some reason from simple questions.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Yes, you are sounding ridiculous, simple requests like Transparency are being met with a " you shall not pass mentality"

Why is that?,

Why is having some Transparcy such a big worry to you?

You really are going out of you way to defend a multi-billion company for some reason from simple questions.
And what do we gain with this "transparency" other than ammo for console warring? Why is it so important that MS reveals these "numbers"? What will it change for the consumers, in a good way?

MonarchJT

Banned

Why is that?,

i don't feel the needing to know if Ms make money on it. and no Microsoft owes you nothing and certainly not that kind of transparency.

Last edited:

Why is that?,

Microsoft doesn't disclose profits for their sub divisions. It has nothing to do with Xbox or Gamepass. Just deal with it.

kingfey

Banned
And what do we gain with this "transparency" other than ammo for console warring? Why is it so important that MS reveals these "numbers"? What will it change for the consumers, in a good way?
I told him what number does he need? At what point does he need for gamepass to be successful. He keeps ignoring it.

All he wants is to argue. Because at the end of the day, those numbers means nothing to us.

sircaw

Banned
I can def see your point on that, perhaps it is very successful and they don't want to share, metrics, methods of how good it can be, as in its a worry other companies might up there game and copy it. it's just strange as you said, Gaming its a small division of Microsoft, 8% was it, and yet they are so reluctant to disclose a lot of details about it.

You would have thought Microsoft being the powerhouse they are, would love to flex on it, if it was doing so well.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
I can def see your point on that, perhaps it is very successful and they don't want to share, metrics, methods of how good it can be, as in its a worry other companies might up there game and copy it. it's just strange as you said, Gaming its a small division of Microsoft, 8% was it, and yet they are so reluctant to disclose a lot of details about it.

You would have thought Microsoft being the powerhouse they are, would love to flex on it, if it was doing so well.
no big companies don't always do that. you don't see apple going around screaming that they sell more phones than Xiaomi. Or Microsoft saying that their word processor is still the number one on the market.

sircaw

Banned
If it is truly successful, what harm would it do?

Surely it would be a feather in the cap for Microsoft if it was doing really well.

That's just common sense no?

That's why this is a discussion thread, where you are allowed to ask questions.

I think you need to deal with it "lollipop_disappointed:

Have a good day.
Ok so you need some the receipts for this "sustainability". Fair enough. But may I ask what is your opinion as a consumer is? Do you want GP to succeed or fail? Do you believe it is a good service or do you think it's a bad one?

sircaw

Banned
Ok so you need some the receipts for this "sustainability". Fair enough. But may I ask what is your opinion as a consumer is? Do you want GP to succeed or fail? Do you believe it is a good service or do you think it's a bad one?
Grim dawn has just been given to Microsoft for certification. I have been waiting for this damn game for years now.

It is my most favorite game of all time, i had 1200 hours played on it on my PC, before my PC died.

Grim dawn is going to be an Xbox exclusive, i am hoping there is a deal on the series s this xmas, so i can pick one up as i would love to play ori 1+2 plus, i am a big fan of quake as well, which i believe will be made exclusively in the future on the Xbox platform.

I would definitely take advantage of game pass if the deal is good enough to me.

At the moment i game on a ps4, i prefer sony as a platform as i love god of war, rachet, horizon bloodborne etc.

I think the game pass is, getting better as time goes on, a few years ago i thought it was pretty rubbish but with the purchase of all those games companies, i think it's on the right path.

A new fall-out game, not that multi-player rubbish they released would suit me to a tee.

Do i want game pass to fail, nope,

Hope that clears up my angle :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It’s fun to imagine some productivity forum somewhere having a similar argument years ago how Office 365 won’t be sustainable.

Microsoft isn't sharing revenue from Office 365 with dozens of other publishers so that comparison doesn't really work.

SkylineRKR

Its a long term strategy. We're seeing video content behind subs and that became the norm even. While you can still buy movies and series if you want to. I bought the Series because of GP. I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't around. I typically use Playstation systems.

I think gaming as a sub isn't a bad idea. We've seen Forza recently. Lots of Gamepass players too buying the Deluxe version, and its about getting those games in the hands of as many players as possible so that they might buy additional content and MT. They're also offering deals to GP subscribers so that you can keep the games.

I play some games because of GP, and bought content for them. I would've never bought those games otherwise. And since not everything is on GP day one and not everyone has GP, I figure software sales are still going fine as well.

Chukhopops

Microsoft isn't sharing revenue from Office 365 with dozens of other publishers so that comparison doesn't really work.
Might be just a choice of words but there’s no « revenue share » in the traditional sense of the term for GP. The cost is front-loaded and not linked to any percentage of GP revenue.

We know that because publishers both large and small have mentioned it in the past: for most indies the cost of the game or the port is covered by MS on top of a single licensing fee, and for large publishers it’s also a single lump sum (same as EGA free games).

DaGwaphics

It’s fun to imagine some productivity forum somewhere having a similar argument years ago how Office 365 won’t be sustainable.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's just part of the video game discussion board culture. I can remember having heated debates about OG Xbox when I was barely 20, and those numbers weren't relevant to my life either. Probably would have done the same even earlier during the Genesis/SNES gen if the option was available. And here I am doing the same thing here today.

Topher

Gold Member
Might be just a choice of words but there’s no « revenue share » in the traditional sense of the term for GP. The cost is front-loaded and not linked to any percentage of GP revenue.

We know that because publishers both large and small have mentioned it in the past: for most indies the cost of the game or the port is covered by MS on top of a single licensing fee, and for large publishers it’s also a single lump sum (same as EGA free games).

Right, I was speaking about revenue "sharing" in a general sense.

Sethbacca

I don't think anyone has ever questioned whether they can make money. The real question has been whether they can continue to provide a level of quality without turning everything into gaas and microtransactioning the heck out of everything.

Riky

$MSFT

Why is that?,

Has Sony ever revealed how much money it makes from just PSNow?

RafterXL

Why is that?,

No, you sound ridiculous. Who the fuck are you that you deserve "transparency" from Microsoft about anything? Also, Microsoft doesn't disclose this kind of stuff COMPANY WIDE, it has nothing to do with just Xbox or Gamepass, and they are the most valuable company on the planet so it's not because they need to hide anything. Finally, why the hell do you care? Microsoft thinks Gamepass is doing great, developers think Gamepass is great, and gamers (except for the you know who) think Gamepass is great, so what's your malfunction?

Seriously, some of you are so unhinged about this Gamepass stuff it's pathetic.
No idea, but i am not bombarded on a weekly basis by people telling me just how well it is going :messenger_grinning:

So this is just bullshit pushback because something you don't like is popular. Got it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Gamers don’t need to know sales numbers, it’s all fanboy fodder and will be skewed anyway anyone seems fit. If I were him I wouldn’t even say as much as he did.
Yeah I'm not sure what would be the advantage of giving solid figures to their competitors (and potential content providers) when they don't have to.
If it is losing money hand over fist they wouldn't want that out there, if it is already making bank they don't want that out there either.

sircaw

Banned
No, you sound ridiculous. Who the fuck are you that you deserve "transparency" from Microsoft about anything? Also, Microsoft doesn't disclose this kind of stuff COMPANY WIDE, it has nothing to do with just Xbox or Gamepass, and they are the most valuable company on the planet so it's not because they need to hide anything. Finally, why the hell do you care? Microsoft thinks Gamepass is doing great, developers think Gamepass is great, and gamers (except for the you know who) think Gamepass is great, so what's your malfunction?

So this is just bullshit pushback because something you don't like is popular. Got it.
Unhinged, please read people's posts before you make such silly comments like you just did.

It will give you a better understanding of what people's concerns are.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

No idea, but i am not bombarded on a weekly basis by people telling me just how well it is going :messenger_grinning:
Just because PS Now is FAR LESS popular than Game Pass and certainly with a much smaller user base. Because if it was a popular service, you can be sure as hell people would be talking about it all the time as well. That's just how it works.

sircaw

Banned
Just because PS Now is FAR LESS popular than Game Pass and certainly with a much smaller user base. Because if it was a popular service, you can be sure as hell people would be talking about it all the time as well. That's just how it works.
Perhaps so, but it does not make my point any less valid.

Kssio_Aug

Perhaps so, but it does not make my point any less valid.
No offense, but your point wasn't actually a point, though. I mean, why people talking about how good Game Pass is and how well it's being supported is a reason for MS to publish numbers, while for Sony this is different just because their service is not as popular among consumers? It doesn't make sense. As said before, MS doesn't need to show these numbers, they just need to continue supporting it - that's good enough.

FrankWza

Will Forte Reaction GIF by The Lonely Island

sircaw

Banned
No offense, but your point wasn't actually a point, though. I mean, why people talking about how good Game Pass is and how well it's being supported is a reason for MS to publish numbers, while for Sony this is different just because their service is not as popular among consumers? It doesn't make sense. As said before, MS doesn't need to show these numbers, they just need to continue supporting it - that's good enough.
I think the ethos behind both companies is very different, saying that, just like I replied to Riky above, what's good for the gander should be good for the goose.

I would like transparency from both companies, regardless of how good, bad, successful or not their services are.

Top Bottom