• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 | Preview Thread

12ba969cd37f01180f3b038d961564fb0453cacd.gifv
JH7dvJs.gif

JH7Kfku.gif
JHGW2CN.gif

JHM4ZZB.gif
JHGgkdv.gif

JH7vm9j.gif
JH7h7qJ.gif

Last edited:

kaizenkko

The baseline for Performance mode will be what was previously referred to as Performance Ray Tracing mode with a better framerate and resolution simply because the PS5 can handle it. Fitzgerald clarifies, “There’s no mode in this game that has the Ray Tracing turned off because there’s really no need for it. We figured out how to deliver what is the right Spider-Man picture and visuals and we want to make sure every player is seeing that.”
Insomniac! Just it!

Last edited:

Nvzman

lol at anyone thinking this wouldn't be a GOTY contender, Insomniac/PlayStation 1st party *always* delivers the goods.
As much as I loved the first game I think a lot of Insomniacs games since the PS3 days play it way too safe to be GOTY material.
SMPS4 and most newer Ratchet games are solid 8/10 games for me, very technically impressive and enjoyable but not very adventurous or ambitious with the formula it's going for. As a result they arent as impressive as, say, RDR2 was in 2018, or even something like Arkham Knight which took risks with things like the Batmobile that made the game divisive (I personally loved it).
They really want their games to be very accessible, which I find makes them fairly bland, SMPS4 was extremely easy and makes the combat fairly boring imo. I still think other Spider-Man games do aspects better than PS4 even if it's overall the best one (ex: SM2 still has the best swinging and traversal, Web of Shadows best combat, Shattered Dimensions, PS1, or Ultimate best missions, etc).

Now I would love for insomniac to prove me wrong next month (i have pre-ordered to find out!!!!), but I'm keeping my expectations in check.

Last edited:

kaizenkko

As much as I loved the first game I think a lot of Insomniacs games since the PS3 days play it way too safe to be GOTY material.
SMPS4 and most newer Ratchet games are solid 8/10 games for me, very technically impressive and enjoyable but not very adventurous or ambitious with the formula it's going for. As a result they arent as impressive as, say, RDR2 was in 2018, or even something like Arkham Knight which took risks with things like the Batmobile that made the game divisive (I personally loved it).
They really want their games to be very accessible, which I find makes them fairly bland, SMPS4 was extremely easy and makes the combat fairly boring imo. I still think other Spider-Man games do aspects better than PS4 even if it's overall the best one (ex: SM2 still has the best swinging and traversal, Web of Shadows best combat, Shattered Dimensions, PS1, or Ultimate best missions, etc).

Now I would love for insomniac to prove me wrong next month (i have pre-ordered to find out!!!!), but I'm keeping my expectations in check.
My man, Insomniac developed Spider-Man 2 in five years, and in the middle of the path they still released Miles Morales, SM Remastered and R&C Rift Apart.

If Insomniac spent, I don't know, 8/9 years developing a single game like Rockstar does, I'm sure they have full capacity to create a world so detailed as Red Dead Redemption 2. But thank God they don't want that.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
I don't really have time to listen to a bunch of sweaty nerds make clown noises for kids. So is there like a bullet point list of things mentioned, anything people should take notice of?
fun side missions and much improved combat that's challenging. 10/10. few outslets saying best super hero game ever and considering arkham games were some of the best ever i'm hyped AF.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
The actual gameplay videos look like more of the same from the first two games, which were both really good, but certainly not Game of the Year material. Anyone who feels that way is likely a massive fanboy.

I suspect this game will review in line with the previous two games; 85-89.

Cashon

Banned
I'm wary of previews these days. So often they seem to be glowing and then the game isn't quite as good. Not too worried about Insomniac though. They have made consistent kick ass games for quite some time.
Agreed. Previous have been that way since the 360/PS3/Wii days, at the latest. I imagine part of it is too fuel the hype machine (hype=views=money) and part of it is to ensure that they get review copies early.

Last edited:
The actual gameplay videos look like more of the same from the first two games, which were both really good, but certainly not Game of the Year material. Anyone who feels that way is likely a massive fanboy.

I suspect this game will review in line with the previous two games; 85-89.

I don't think you are a massive fanboy if you believe the game can be better than the first one. Previews do sound pretty good for it.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
You have to love the confidence Insomniac have in what they've produced, out there a month in advance and going into detail on their technical implementation. A stark contrast to some other games that were largely hidden from the public's sight until launch or people paying were willing to take a punt a week early 👏

Last edited:
I'm wary of previews these days. So often they seem to be glowing and then the game isn't quite as good. Not too worried about Insomniac though. They have made consistent kick ass games for quite some time.
I'm not sure if it's like it was before, but I think they get flown out, housed, and pampered lol so yea I try to keep my expectations in check.

I usually find a preview/review of the person/outlet I find most honest and go with that one.

Cashon

Banned
The game can absolutely be better. But if you watch gameplay, it really doesn't look like it's doing anything significantly different from its predecessors. Historically, games that do "more of the same," tend to be critically received either as well as their predecessors or worse (because the industry seems to place a premium on innovation). Nintendo games tend to be an exception, but not always.

Personally, I believe that if a game is just as good as its predecessors, with minor improvements, it should receive the same score or better. But that's generally not how the industry seems to work.

Topher

Gold Member

Impossible to say if the game is "GOTY material" or not at this point. We haven't played the game yet. I think that's a fundamental requirement for any such statement like GOTY.

Spider-Man 2 PS5 vs Spiderman Far From Home 2019 Movie.

QMEtIKS.jpg

Tu7sywE.jpg
it looks pretty damn good. I noticed in some of the previews that it looks like there is just more going on. There seems to be more street activity, more cars, birds flying around, and airplanes. I think that is really upping the overall quality of the game, at least visually selling you it's a "real" living, breathing place.

Top Bottom