• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix is the first publisher that raises its PC prices to 80 euros

It’s a great game that cost a lot to make. I personally support higher prices for AAA games. Given inflation, it makes sense. I prefer games to be supported by sales rather than add-ons and micro transactions.
Why do people keep saying stuff like this when most publishers are breaking their own revenue records every year?
It's not like they are bleeding money and need to increase these prices...

Also...you mention you'd rather games being supported by sales and not add-ons or microtransations but games were never this expensive or releasing this unfinished. Also microtransitions didn't go anywhere in the meantime so...

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
rmBQHoh.gif

amigastar

I dont see how this is an issue when PC gamers has no issue spending thousands on a gaming PC.
Thousands? Probably a small amount of PC gamers spend THOUSANDS on gaming PCs.
As a PC gamer i'm used to pay 50 bucks whereas console gamer spend 60-70 bucks.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
It's no surprises when you look at their mobile game pricing. They always been too expensive and exaggerated.

Last edited:
I don't think I ever bought any game above 50 bucks on PC (aside from microtransactions and shit). That's some ludicrous price tag for a port of game on ps4 and ps5.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
on PC you can get games dirt cheap with codes. i can't see 80 euros flying with most people. don't underestimate the stubbornness of PC gamers. it could be $10 and people will still hold off for a lower price.

SE will charge 80 euros but it'll probably eventually go to steam where most people will get it on sale.

Last edited:
I don’t think 80€ will get them the most revenue. At least with an unproven franchise like Forspoken. That said, they should be free to try new pricing strategies if they want. And it makes business sense that the price on PC and consoles is the same. There is a sweet spot where price vs copies sold makes them the most revenue, and it’s likely similar on both PC and consoles.

Holammer

Forspoken also costs 79,99.

But Babylon's Fall is 59,99.
Guess they want to sell it, with it being on Steam and cheaper.

I wonder if SquareEnix are fucking retarded or diabolically cunning. Maybe they're trying to wring every cent possible from Epic with their minimum guarantee money hat.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm torn. Is it a complete game with no mtx?
It's the first episode of the remake of the whole game, but people seem to say it feels lile a full experience.

You also get the newest Yuffie DLC. This might have explained the price raise... But Forspoken is 80€ too.

Anime-Vix

They basically charging $70 for a 2 year port. Are they serious? If this game came out in 2020 like It was originally suppose to,
it would have been $60.

kyoji

The cost of everything has gone up and will go up. Yesterdays price is Not todays price? Why people dont understand this? Noone likes a price hike but its the natural progression of consumer products and services.

The only thing you can count on not going up is working class wages.

Last edited:

Paasei

Just like the title: Square Enix will be the first publisher with fun/good games I'll never buy from full price.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This could push me to buy console versions so I can buy and resell. 70 bucks for a game I can buy used for 50 on PS5 and resell is hard to swallow.

Paltheos

As always, a super unpopular opinion, but a price jump for games has been a long time coming. Games have been $60 since the damn '90s and even if we adjust for inflation just from the year 2000 that same $60 has less than 2/3 the value from then.

Vaelka

I love FFXIV and think that Yoshida is the best game director in the industry.
But SE in general is kinda trash imo.
As a company I mean.

Doczu

As always, a super unpopular opinion, but a price jump for games has been a long time coming. Games have been $60 since the damn '90s and even if we adjust for inflation just from the year 2000 that same $60 has less than 2/3 the value from then.
Yeah but the amount of copies sold also exploded exponentially.
So the point is moot.

ssringo

Understandable. They're a poor indie dev and the exclusivity payouts probably barely cover the cost of making disc's and sending them to stores.

/s

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'd sooner hammer a nail through my dick than spend that kind of money on a videogame.

I guess I'll have to look for another Christmas gift for my brother, lol.

That's why they're pushing for digital only SKUs this gen. You're totally fucked over if you're stuck with their digital storefront. The physical versions will quickly drop in price on the used market. Come at me, convenience whores!

Edit: inb4 someone bla bla but PC only digital bla bla

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Wow. I just checked myself. $93.49 CDN? Thats a fucking odd price. And it is on Steam!

$70 US is converted to $89 CDN using google exchange. If anything round up to a nice $90. What's up with the extra $3.50?

Somebody has got to pay extra for that boot polish Trudeau likes to wear.

Top Bottom