• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR WARS: EPISODE IX gets a new writer: Jack Thorne

J_Viper

I thought JW was bland, but the set pieces were great. As far as mindless blockbusters go, you can do far worse.

The raging nerd hate on Trevorrow is so silly

Man, when Han Solo and IX both end up being great, I wonder what other Star Wars project becomes the one people worry about?

Kanji Klub directed by Guy Ritchie

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man, when Han Solo and IX both end up being great, I wonder what other Star Wars project becomes the one people worry about?

To be honest if they both turn out fine, I'm never gonna doubt Kennedy ever again.

Harry_Potter_Cursed_Child_Play.jpg

uh oh

A-Long-Way-Down-Poster.jpg

UH OH

lmao the dream is dead bois

-griffy-

Banned
Borys either misreporting or contradicting Johnson w/ the "based off a treatment by Rian Johnson" bit.

Because Johnson's been pretty explicit that whatever they're doing has nothing to do with him anymore.
I think people still want to believe that SO HARD that's it's just stuck.

As far as Jack Thorne goes, he seems like a good pick. Solid list of work as far as screenwriting goes.

It's whether or not Trevorrow can successfully bring Thorne's script to the screen and make it work that I'm skeptical of.

Jarmel

Banned
It's pretty bad - it has some very small great moments - but overall, it feels like an entirely different universe and series. Sloppy writing all around as well, though perhaps it presents better as a play.

This dude had the idea to turn the trolley cart witch on the hogwarts express into the Terminator when kids try to escape. No joke. She transforms into some who the fuck knows what and apparently isn't even a person.
Oh my god that's amazing. I love this so much.

Cheebo

Banned
JK ROWLING WROTE THE STORY TO CURSED CHILD

While Thorne wrote the play script Rowling outlined the entire story, the entire plot. You don't like the story of Cursed Child? Blame Rowling. Thorne didn't decide to give Voldemort a daughter. JK Rowling did.

Prompto

Banned

While Thorne wrote the play script Rowling outlined the entire story, the entire plot. You don't like the story of Cursed Child? Blame Rowling. Thorne didn't decide to give Voldemort a daughter. JK Rowling did.
Rowling, Thorne, and John Tiffany are all credited for the story. Thorne only for the script. I don't think we have any idea which one of them came up with what except that Rowling was willing to sign off on all of it.

berzeli

Banned
Am I going to have to fight every single one of you lot who don't know the man's work?

One of the most acclaimed contemporary British writers get assigned to work on this and you decide to freak out...
And he has even shown that he is fucking amazing when it comes to genre fare with The Fades.

The story has its flaws, but it's not trash. I enjoyed it. Hyperbole runs rampant on here.

Jack Thorne is a good choice.

I'll believe you and Bobby Roberts.

Welp.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Harry_Potter_Cursed_Child_Play.jpg

uh oh

A-Long-Way-Down-Poster.jpg

UH OH

I'm assuming he did the screenplay for long way down? The book by hornby that it's based on is one of my all time favorites.

So original work he is great but adapting others is bad? Is he adapting a previously written script?

AFAIK, most of the ideas came from Thorne. Did she sign off on it all though? Sure.

But Cursed Child even seems to be treated different by the official website Pottermore, where things it introduced aren't part of the online canon encyclopedia. The waters are muddy there, but I don't think Rowling holds that one up as high as the others.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This sounds like good news to me.

Last movie in a series tends to be eh anyways imo

I'm just hoping it ends in such a way that we have a strong foundation for the EU if not future films.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Why do people always feel the need to cherry pick a couple bad credits out of an obviously talented writer's resume? Damn.

Shy

Wait. This gentleman wrote the This Is England TV mini series. GET IN!

You guys need to calm your tits. He isn't a hack.

HariKari

Fire Colin, bring in a good director with their own choice of writers. Let the movie slip date wise if you must. It's not too late.

Monocle

DOOM DOOM DOOM

Star Wars is over. It's not too late to trade in your lightsabers for phasers, nerds!

Game-Biz

I wonder how much money Disney would have to pay to get rid of Colin since I'm assuming he signed a contract. Terrible decision to hire him. This film sounds like it'll be...mediocre.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yes he did. Its just not being used post passing of Carrie Fisher as Episode IX had to be rewritten.

Kinda sounds like he never wrote one to begin with, and it makes sense, he was busy working on The Last Jedi while others worked on 9.

labx

Banned
Oy Yoi Yoi... I have a bad feeling about this.

Is that difficult to lock Johnson's to write and direct ep IX?

This isn't going to end well, I can feel it. Ewoks, killing jedi kids and NoooOOOoooO, all over again.

Top Bottom