• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR WARS: EPISODE IX gets a new writer: Jack Thorne

sphagnum

Banned
Hmm? George directed and wrote all the prequel films.

He hadn't really thought about them until he sat down to do them though. He said that something like 80% of his ideas about the prequels ended up in RotS.

Hence why Dooku shows up in AotC when he shouldve been in TPM.

deleted

Disney does not interfere with Lucasfilm. Disney didn't make the call to fire the Han directors, Kathy Kennedy did. They do not tell Lucsfilm what to do, they don't get involved in the filmmaking element. That is well established.

Rian Johnson said he had just as much creative freedom on TLJ as he has on all his other films, that he never once was told what he can or cannot do. Had total creative freedom.

Then we are truly in for a ride.

Okay, Lucasfilm then, instead of Disney. There's just a lot of smoke over the last year from the re-shoots of Rogue One to the Solo movie stuff surfacing that I'm expecting fire every second now.
It's really nice that doesn't seem to be the case though!

Cheebo

Banned
Then we are truly in for a ride.

Okay, Lucasfilm then, instead of Disney. There's just a lot of smoke over the last year from the re-shoots of Rogue One to the Solo movie stuff surfacing that I'm expecting fire every second now.
It's really nice that doesn't seem to be the case though!

I mean even so with Rogue One, that film pretty much shut down all the worry pretty quickly. It had very strong acclaim. A troubled production yet it had great reviews and strong word of mouth and great legs at the box-office.

95% of blockbuster films wish they were as well received as Rogue One lol.

SpaceWolf

Banned
He hadn't really thought about them until he sat down to do them though. He said that something like 80% of his ideas about the prequels ended up in RotS.

Hence why Dooku shows up in AotC when he shouldve been in TPM.

Ah, gotcha. Apologies, I didn't initially see your point from that perspective.

Cheebo

Banned
Really? Is Star Wars now a series where characters are "killed off"?

Star Wars films usually kill off one of the films heroes in each film.

Only counting characters who had lead or large roles as heroes in the series:

A New Hope - Killed Obi-Wan
The Empire Strikes Backs - None
Return of the Jedi - Killed off Anakin & Yoda

The Phantom Menace - Killed off Qui-Gon
Attack of the Clones - Killed off Shmi
Revenge of the Sith - Killed off Mace

The Force Awakens - Killed off Han
Rogue One - Goes without saying lol.

Only 1 of the 8 films have yet to kill off a good guy character that had significant screentime.

Star Wars films usually kill off one of the films heroes in each film.

Only counting characters who had lead or large roles as heroes in the series:

A New Hope - Killed Obi-Wan
The Empire Strikes Backs - None
Return of the Jedi - Killed off Anakin & Yoda

The Phantom Menace - Killed off Qui-Gon
Attack of the Clones - Killed off Shmi
Revenge of the Sith - Killed off Mace

The Force Awakens - Killed off Han
Rogue One - Goes without saying lol.

Only 1 of the 8 films have yet to kill off a good guy character that had significant screentime.

Freezing Han in ESB was close to killing him outright.

Tookay

You know how you can't avoid a discussion about superhero movies turning to like 30 or 40 people immediately crying that so-and-so should just give X to Marvel?

This will be that, but it'll be "Just give Star Wars to Rian"
Now, is this just speculation based off your love for Johnson, or does it have basis in what you're being told by people in the know?

Uh oh

Wonder what the discussion was like with Trevorrow because this didn't happen to J.J. or Johnson (who they adore to death).

This is a rewrite of his latest draft by the way which takes into account ideas all of them had after Fisher's death.

Busty

Banned
Plus, this way it should allow each film in this new trilogy to feel somewhat distinctive in comparison to each another, which I think is very much a good thing.

I have no desire for whatever Colin Trevorrow is serving up, distinct or otherwise.

Well, the original trilogy had 3 different directors as well.

True, but that was a very different time with a very different set up. It seems that the only real constant in these films will be Kennedy and Kasdan.

Top Bottom