• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR WARS: EPISODE IX gets a new writer: Jack Thorne

Shy

Look, your examples and facts aren't going to defeat the rhetorical might of a Long Way Down poster

It just won't.
LMAO. Yeah unfortunately.
Fire Colin, bring in a good director with their own choice of writers. Let the movie slip date wise if you must. It's not too late.
I agree with getting rid of the director.

But Lucasfilm getting this writer is the best thing they could have hoped for.
Ly7SPd3.jpg

cXEj0mX.jpg

6apDhju.jpg

gh7QxLU.jpg

r49LMeG.jpg

vlWUtBT.jpg

k3poyAH.jpg

UhuAKIE.jpg

46MrsyR.png

vVVNF9w.jpg

I swear I will develop supernatural powers to slap people over the internet if that is what it takes.
This should be added the OP.

Kinda sounds like he never wrote one to begin with, and it makes sense, he was busy working on The Last Jedi while others worked on 9.
But, he literally did and even admitted to things changing post Carrie Fisher's passing hence why he no longer has any involvement.

Cheebo

Banned
AFAIK, most of the ideas came from Thorne. Did she sign off on it all though? Sure.

But Cursed Child even seems to be treated different by the official website Pottermore, where things it introduced aren't part of the online canon encyclopedia. The waters are muddy there, but I don't think Rowling holds that one up as high as the others.
Rowling has explicitly stated that Cursed Child is canon with the novels.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/615498601809211393

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
But, he literally did and even admitted to things changing post Carrie Fisher's passing hence why he no longer has any involvement.

I can't say I've seen him say he did a treatment, and they have said they've changed stuff because of Carrie's death, but not that this changed Rian's whole treatment. Not calling you a liar but I honestly can't remember this being the case.

Carrie's death prompted a page one rewrite from Connolly and Trevorrow. I believe Johnson said he'd never written them a treatment before that had occurred.

So basically, if Johnson is to be believed (and it'd be a weird thing to lie about) he never wrote a treatment, and so Trevorrow and Connolly never worked from it.

Fisher's death didn't affect anything Johnson worked on.

JK ROWLING WROTE THE STORY TO CURSED CHILD

While Thorne wrote the play script Rowling outlined the entire story, the entire plot. You don't like the story of Cursed Child? Blame Rowling. Thorne didn't decide to give Voldemort a daughter. JK Rowling did.
Hahaha I never read it because it sounded like awful fanfic, glad I stayed away after reading this.

sphagnum

Banned
Sounds good enough to me. Carrie's death must have thrown them for a loop and maybe Colin just couldn't figure out how to work around it.

theBmZ

I'm okay with this. I'm not familiar with any of his work. But in this case, I'll take the devil I don't know, over the devil I do. I don't trust Trevorrow to not make this another Jurassic World.

If they're just announcing this rewrite now, this movie will get delayed to Christmas 2019 the earliest as I doubt they want to rush a trilogy movie (of all things).

Maybe LucasFilm finally saw a cut of VIII and thought Return Of The Jedi / Revenge Of The Sith level Star Wars doesn't cut it anymore?
I hope so.

Everyone should watch The Fades.

Mac: "Your friend is quite the mercenary. I wonder if he really cares about anything, or anybody."

Neil: "What?"

Paul: "He's quoting 'Star Wars.' Ignore him."

Mac: "I'm not quoting 'Star Wars!' I'm quoting Leia. You can't quote a film! You can only quote a character in a film!"

rezuth

Good news, never really had faith in Colin sadly. These Star Wars movies getting saved to the left and right.

While I'm glad he and Connolly are no longer writing, it's still disappointing Trevorrow's directing given his bland, unremarkable style of direction, devoid of any real personality or vision. Even Bay and Snyder have clear visions well represented on screen with a definable directorial style.

Also, do we actually know why he was brought in, who brought him in, and if he's writing Trevorrow's story or his own? It's possible Trevorrow and Connolly had him brought on board because they were having troubles figuring out what to do without Carrie, rather than say, being brought in by Lucasfilm to edge them out of the writer's room.

faridmon

I liked the writing in A long Wa yDown. The problem was none of the situations made sense, especially later in that movie.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
If they're just announcing this rewrite now, this movie will get delayed to Christmas 2019 the earliest as I doubt they want to rush a trilogy movie (of all things).

Maybe LucasFilm finally saw a cut of VIII and thought Return Of The Jedi / Revenge Of The Sith level Star Wars doesn't cut it anymore?
I hope so.

Those are two pretty different levels you mention there. I'd certainly be happy with a movie that had some of the best scenes in the franchise with a few bits of silliness here and there. I certainly wouldn't be happy with a movie that botched every single important scene it had.

Surprising pick but I've enjoyed quite a few of the shows he's worked on.

I don't want to pick on Treverrow again but I'm a bit more optimistic now.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This movie is not coming out in May of 2019.

I still think Han Solo is getting pushed back to December 2018, which will in turn push IX back to December 2019.

I don't understand why Disney would want to throw Star Wars in the summer when they legitimately have the ability to take ownership of the holiday movie season every single year.

I still think Han Solo is getting pushed back to December 2018, which will in turn push IX back to December 2019.

I don't understand why Disney would want to throw Star Wars in the summer when they legitimately have the ability to take ownership of the holiday movie season every single year.

I was surprised they didn't announce Han's film had been pushed back when Howard joined. I have a feeling it still will be.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
LET ME SAY

I went to see the Cursed Child last year and had a fun time! I didn't actually read the script beforehand, I just knew that several of my close friends (whose opinions I trust) said that it was awful. So I went in with very low expectations and...actually, it works very well as a stage play. The cast were excellent (and hilarious!), the choreography of the scene changes was inventive and the practical magic effects were very impressive - these are things cannot be conveyed through a barebones script. So here's the thing - before I come off as an apologist, the plot itself is like officially signed-off fan fiction. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, though. I view it as a nice "What If' story that gives you an excuse to see All Your Favourite Characters again. I couldn't care less about its canon or non-canon status.

I think a big problem people have with it (dubious plot twists aside) is precisely that - it was marketed, somewhat cynically, as The Eighth Book. That was absolutely a mistake. I enjoyed what I saw on stage like I enjoyed the Terminator ride at Universal Studios - it was a frivolous plot set in a hypothetical future designed as a vehicle for pure spectacle and fanservice - and no one would seriously scrutinise that plot as an affront to the Terminator series.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm like 3/4 through the Cursed Child as we picked it up a couple of days ago when we saw it cheap.

I was going to finish it tonight, and I'm pretty sure I've just been spoiled.

HOW HARD IS IT TO POST SPOILERS IN FUCKING SPOILER TAGS

Cheebo

Banned
I'm like 3/4 through the Cursed Child as we picked it up a couple of days ago when we saw it cheap.

I was going to finish it tonight, and I'm pretty sure I've just been spoiled.

HOW HARD IS IT TO POST SPOILERS IN FUCKING SPOILER TAGS

It's been out over a year, people openly discuss plot points of media at that point.

Wait, you're telling me the buzz around The Last Jedi is that positive?

You know how you can't avoid a discussion about superhero movies turning to like 30 or 40 people immediately crying that so-and-so should just give X to Marvel?

This will be that, but it'll be "Just give Star Wars to Rian"

Cheebo

Banned
Wait, you're telling me the buzz around The Last Jedi is that positive?
Or do you think the reviews will be glowing either way because it's a numbered SW entry?!

Have you been living under a rock? It's Rian Johnson. There is whispers it could be the best film in the franchise, period.

deleted

You know how you can't avoid a discussion about superhero movies turning to like 30 or 40 people immediately crying that so-and-so should just give X to Marvel?

This will be that, but it'll be "Just give Star Wars to Rian"

Have you been living under a rock? It's Rian Johnson. There is whispers it could be the best film in the franchise, period.

Well, I loved his other stuff, but I was under the impression that The Last Jedi could also easily become like Iron Man 2 or too much like Empire with Disney interfering. At least that was my impression with the latest news on Star Wars/Han and Rouge One turning out a bit meh.

This is excellent. Most excellent.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
It's been out over a year, people openly discuss plot points of media at that point.

Oh get out, this is a star wars thread, though I know he was involved in the script I still feel like It's simple courtesy to add that.

sphagnum

Banned
Well, I loved his other stuff, but I was under the impression that The Last Jedi could also easily become like Iron Man 2 or too much like Empire with Disney interfering. At least that was my impression with the latest news on Star Wars/Han and Rouge One turning out a bit meh.

Rogue One was a messy production because Gareth Edwards was in over his head. Kathleen Kennedy saved it.

Han Solo appears to have had a problem where the directors were not making the movie that Lucasfilm thought they were going to make. Unknown how that will turn out.

Disney does not seem to have a heavy hand in these movies, like how they don't dictate to Marvel how to make their movies.

Cheebo

Banned

Disney does not interfere with Lucasfilm. Disney didn't make the call to fire the Han directors, Kathy Kennedy did. They do not tell Lucsfilm what to do, they don't get involved in the filmmaking element. That is well established.

Rian Johnson said he had just as much creative freedom on TLJ as he has on all his other films, that he never once was told what he can or cannot do. Had total creative freedom.

Busty

Banned
Is it me or is it odd that there doesn't appear to be any creative connective tissue between Episodes 7,8 and 9?

Three films. Three different directors. Did they like start from scratch when they sat down to prepare their film?

While the rewrite itself isn't a big deal of here it's still a bit odd to me.

Cheebo

Banned
Is it me or is it odd that there doesn't appear to be any creative connective tissue between Episodes 7,8 and 9?

Three films. Three different directors. Did they like start from scratch when they sat down to prepare their film?

Well, the original trilogy had 3 different directors as well.

SpaceWolf

Banned

I imagine working on these projects in any prominent capacity often proves to be absolutely exhausting, hence the need to change the guard with every new installment.

Plus, this way it should allow each film in this new trilogy to feel somewhat distinctive in comparison to each another, which I think is very much a good thing.

sphagnum

Banned

TBH this is what happened with the other two trilogies as well. The only one where George knew what he wanted to do in advance was RotS.

Top Bottom