• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars KOTOR Remake Cancelled?

The 2021 Playstation Showcase reveal trailer on the offical playstation Youtube channel has recently been delisted.

Luke Skywalker Reaction GIF

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Called it in 2021 that this was an uphill battle.

This is supposedly an action RPG remake. FYI, Jedi Fallen Order was led by Respawn (one of the best 3rd party devs around) and an ex-God of War director and still the combat wasn't exactly flawless. It was very good for a Star Wars action game though, and these guys are pretty much the best of the best. That means that anything coming from this game is going to be a huge step down from that.

Add in a full party, oh and it's an RPG with lots of varied abilities and classes. So while you're not too busy catching up to Respawn, go ahead and make a full blown detailed dialogue system with emoting NPCs, tons of writing and voice acting and detailed quest lines. No biggie!

Puscifer

I mean they would absolutely ruin Juhani and Bastila Shan so I'd rather it be canceled. I'm sure the Kotor 2 drama isn't helping much in this regard. Then you have Bioware giving up on SWTOR is another.

Not a good time for fans of the Old Republic era.
Didn't hear about bioware dumping ToR

Called it in 2021 that this was an uphill battle.

This is supposedly an action RPG remake. FYI, Jedi Fallen Order was led by Respawn (one of the best 3rd party devs around) and an ex-God of War director and still the combat wasn't exactly flawless. It was very good for a Star Wars action game though, and these guys are pretty much the best of the best. That means that anything coming from this game is going to be a huge step down from that.

Add in a full party, oh and it's an RPG with lots of varied abilities and classes. So while you're not too busy catching up to Respawn, go ahead and make a full blown detailed dialogue system with emoting NPCs, tons of writing and voice acting and detailed quest lines. No biggie!

I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up but honestly at this point the game runs on phones and potato CPU only systems and the community has modded the hell out of the game so why bother with a remake that would ruin everything that made it special to begin with?

MirageMew2

I read something on Reddit recently suggesting Kathleen Kennedy and anything under her was on its way out. I wonder if there’s any truth to it.

Humdinger

Had it been released, I would have checked it out, but I wouldn't be disappointed if it were cancelled. I wasn't terribly invested either way. I enjoyed the original but would probably prefer to replay that, rather than a modern remake.

SCB3

I read something on Reddit recently suggesting Kathleen Kennedy and anything under her was on its way out. I wonder if there’s any truth to it.
I mean Mandalorion, Ahsoka and Ander were made with her in charge and they're all pretty good shows, the Respawn games are amazing as well

Last edited:
I mean Mandalorion, Ahsoka and Ander were made with her in charge and they're all pretty good shows, the Respawn games are amazing as well
Kathleen Kennedy is there to stay. It's tiresome to hear all these rumors that she's leaving or that everything under her is being pulled.

I don't care for her direction either but the influencers need to stop making up bullshit stories about how they want to get rid of her.

StereoVsn

Well, that’s sucks. On the other hand I had no confidence in the devs delivering a good game either.

Man, I would love Larian to take a swing at Old Republic universe.

StereoVsn

Kathleen Kennedy is there to stay. It's tiresome to hear all these rumors that she's leaving or that everything under her is being pulled.

I don't care for her direction either but the influencers need to stop making up bullshit stories about how they want to get rid of her.
Mandalorian sucks after first couple of seasons. Andor was good and haven’t seen Ashoka. Everything else pretty much was bad, other then Rogue One.

Gojiira

It was ‘Indefinitely Delayed’ or whatever aaaaaaaaaages ago.
After the devs changed I think it was obvious this would happen. Sony should have brought it inhouse from the get go tbh

MiguelItUp

Agreed. She's been around for several decades, and she's not going anywhere anytime soon. Folks keep bringing up that she's "leaving" as if it's going to miraculously make Star Wars be the IP they want. But that's not the case. I've enjoyed the recent shows a LOT more than the recent trilogy. As someone that grew up with SW, I'm just happy to see more without it being oversaturated like Marvel has been.

The game was already put on hiatus, so I can't say this is surprising. Honestly Aspyr working on it never gave me any confidence about it whatsoever.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
It's very likely cancelled. Ifn ot, it's only coming in 10 years.

Embracer has been suffering financially.

Disney should see if EA wants to remake KOTOR. We can all say plenty about EA “good and bad.” The ONE thing we can say though…if EA oversaw a remake, it would probably be at least a low “80‘s” on Metacritic.

Most of EA’s recent “remakes” have turned out pretty decent. NFS, Burnout, Dead Space, Mass Effect, etc. KOTOR is a much bigger “remake”. But, even if it wasn’t a “Remake” and more of a “Remaster”. EA would make sure it is “decent“ to good.

I haven’t understood why EA has not been approached, or more public outcry for EA involvement.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I want this, but I want it done right and not to be a colossal fucking disappointment. I'd rather it be cancelled or delayed than done dirty.

M0G

I don't want to play a remake that just takes the story and shovels it into a modern condensed format. Start the project again and give it to somebody like Larian or Obsidian (or of that ilk). Aspyr was never a fit and Bioware is long dead at this point. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but this isn't being made for Sony is it? Just some kind of timed exclusivity deal.

LRKD

Please let it be cancelled, they can't possibly improve the game, it's a freaking masterpiece, and modern devs are too out of touch to do anything but ruin it. And if zoomers are too retarded to handle the originals gameplay they don't deserve to play it in the first place.

Top Bottom