• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars KOTOR Remake Cancelled?

Doc Brown GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy
Because its not on the X.

Perrott

Gold Member
Disney should see if EA wants to remake KOTOR. We can all say plenty about EA “good and bad.” The ONE thing we can say though…if EA oversaw a remake, it would probably be at least a low “80‘s” on Metacritic.

Most of EA’s recent “remakes” have turned out pretty decent. NFS, Burnout, Dead Space, Mass Effect, etc. KOTOR is a much bigger “remake”. But, even if it wasn’t a “Remake” and more of a “Remaster”. EA would make sure it is “decent“ to good.

I haven’t understood why EA has not been approached, or more public outcry for EA involvement.
Given that the KOTOR project is now somewhat attached to Sony, I'd rather like to see them take over the title with any of their 1st or 2nd party devs and have Bluepoint supervise it from afar.

Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls, The Last Of Us... they've published some of the best videogame remakes in recent times.

I missed out the first time around, I was waiting to see what all the hype was about.
Same here, it was one of my ps5 games checklist. Always heard the buzz around how good kotor was and it was classic bioware material. After reading this thread, thank god it was canned. I would rather they not desecrate it.

That said, Im less of a remake enthusiast anymore. Remasters can always be done without sacrificing the original spirit (generally). And with the revolution of AI upscaling etc, I can foresee lots of custom mods that are basically modern version of retro games. We shouldn't need official endorsements by agenda driven companies to produce the modern IP remakes.

Allandor

Wasn't it clear and official for month now, that this game has been canceled?
I remember something was in the news month ago

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Did anyone really want this?

The game is/was obviously going to be massively redesigned to not play and feel like complete ass in 202X. KOTOR's always had this weird niche fanbase, were the purists ever going to be happy with the inevitable changes? Did we really trust them to just 1:1 the story into a modern game? I like KOTOR but didn't feel even a twitch of excitement when this was announced because the above felt inevitable. Also felt like vaporware the second they announced it for some reason.

Dazraell

Apparently it's not cancelled but changed developer. There is a chance they may change the trailer to include a logo of a new studio which apparently taken it over (Saber Interactive)

Apparently it's not cancelled but changed developer. There is a chance they may change the trailer to include a logo of a new studio which apparently taken it over (Saber Interactive)
Do you have a source for that? Not saying I don't believe you but I just want to have a source if I bring it up anywhere else.

Dazraell

Do you have a source for that? Not saying I don't believe you but I just want to have a source if I bring it up anywhere else.

This recent change can of course mean the project was completely cancelled considering Embracer's recent stunts with canning projects left and right, but it may also be just preparing the ground for the game's re-reveal

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I mean Mandalorion, Ahsoka and Ander were made with her in charge and they're all pretty good shows, the Respawn games are amazing as well
There is not a modern better exemple of how to lower the bar then releasing so mutch shit that mandalorian and ahsoka can look like "pretty good" shows .
Both are dog shit ... specially ahsoka and I like clone wars and rebels to a extent

Ill give you mandolarian season 1 and Andor ... Andor is the best and thats because KK wasnt involved.. and this is why you ill never see season 2 of it .

King Dazzar

I'll be honest I never thought the original was quite as good as others back in the day. Good but not great. But that didn't stop me wishing for a great remake. Real shame if it is indeed cancelled.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I really hope not. KOTOR is one of my favorite games, and while I certainly had some reservations about a remake, I'd have at least liked to give it a fair shot.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

This recent change can of course mean the project was completely cancelled considering Embracer's recent stunts with canning projects left and right, but it may also be just preparing the ground for the game's re-reveal

Embracer also officially confirmed that Saber is now working on KOTOR Remake in one of their recent quarterly earnings calls.

SCB3

There is not a modern better exemple of how to lower the bar then releasing so mutch shit that mandalorian and ahsoka can look like "pretty good" shows .
Both are dog shit ... specially ahsoka and I like clone wars and rebels to a extent

Ill give you mandolarian season 1 and Andor ... Andor is the best and thats because KK wasnt involved.. and this is why you ill never see season 2 of it .
I dunno I loved Mando Season 1 and 2, and his parts in BoBF, however Season 3 is a big drop in quality aside from the last couple of episodes

fatmarco

Let this fucking game die.

Give us a nice little remaster project of the original code and call it a day. I don't want KOTOR rewritten or redesigned by less talented people who aren't passionate about Star Wars or who think KOTORs narrative needs to be changed.

Every remake is an opportunity for some hack to hijack it and impose their shitty ideas onto a classic property.

StereoVsn

Mandalorian S2 was tolerable at least for the most part as well, but wasn’t amazing.

And yeah, everything else produced since she took over has been shit.

Sigh… for all their faults, the new EA’s Jedi Survivor games are better vs almost everything produced on SW movie / TV side in last 10 years (except for the above mentioned and Rogue One).

YuLY

At this point i just hope Space Marine 2 and Tempest Rising are released before this "publisher" implodes. I've made peace with the fact that the new Deus Ex from Eidos wont come out.

New Timesplitters probably dead also...

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The previous thread was amazing with people defending this to the death and being completely oblivious of how Aspyr NEVER MADE A GAME IN THEIR LIFE. All they did was port old PC games to the Mac and mobile, yet suddenly they were going to make a AAA KOTOR remake with Sam Maggs writing? LOL everyone got scammed Abandoned-style.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Isn't this old news? It was already known for a long time that the vertical slice prepared by Aspyr was rejected by Sony/Lucasfilm and the project got canned.

Kinda sucks but eh, just leave it alone. The last thing we want are some zoomer cunts updating that game for modern audiences or whatever.

Dr. Suchong

I forgot all about this.
Not the end of the world, there are literally squillions of hastily, cobbled together remasters for the rose tinted afflicted to gobble up.
(That includes me 😋)

nowhat

Honestly, Star Wars games are the best thing to come out of the new Star Wars. The games are way better than the movies or series.
A couple of months back I bought Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga off a sale and was really pleasantly surprised. Not only as a game (my first foray into the Lego games as a matter of fact, dunno why, just never bought any before), but also how they handled the plot of the prequels/sequels. A more sarcastic take made all the nonsense much more palatable.

DaGwaphics

The idea of this not being turn based always freaked me out to start with. I spent too many hours in the OG game on Xbox.

DeathGuise

Well he's one of these people that says "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less", what do you expect lol
It's baffling to me how people can't get this right. It's not even a typo, it's a fundamental failure of reasoning. God people piss me off

Aenima

KOTOR is my favorite Star Wars game, and i wished they could do a remake that made the original justice. But some of the ppl working on this project has been waving red flags for a long time. At this point being cancelled is probably for the best.

Krathoon

They better not edit music out of the games like Rockstar did with GTA 4.

I would recommend backing up your gog copies.

Krathoon

Given that the KOTOR project is now somewhat attached to Sony, I'd rather like to see them take over the title with any of their 1st or 2nd party devs and have Bluepoint supervise it from afar.

Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls, The Last Of Us... they've published some of the best videogame remakes in recent times.
I would rather have Sony take control. Get the Bluepoint guys to do it.

Top Bottom