• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels, New Animated Series coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

A slingshot? :|
t8IHP.gif
Great post. My exact sentiment.

people forget that there is a laser sword in this universe.

And those slingshots used to hunt shit are quite badass. Curious how this dude's work though, maybe shoot special ammo ala usopp

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
kZy08Qm.jpg

This is the worst expression. There's nothing wrong with smiling or smirking or whatever, but the way this is presented just screams "Disney" to me, and not in a good way.

v0nhfew.jpg

This is like... Kim Possible or Spy Kids in the Star Wars universe. Also kind of reminds me of Ashelin/Keira from Jak and Daxter.

R8osbOR.jpg

And this guy just looks incredibly doofy, haha. Herp derp.

Not making any pre-judgements, but I have a bad vibe about this. The poster looks like a parody comic Mike Krahulik would draw for Penny Arcade.

DedValve

Banned
Clone wars also had a butt ugly art style. It's the reason I never saw it on tv. Gave it a whirl on netflix a month ago and the quality of the writing, animation and action trumped the ugly artstyle. I'm hoping for the same here.

Though I'd kill for a Star Wars for good writing, action AND design but I guess that's where the live action show hopefully comes in (with a more mature and darker vibe throughout).

Clone wars also had a butt ugly art style. It's the reason I never saw it on tv. Gave it a whirl on netflix a month ago and the quality of the writing, animation and action trumped the ugly artstyle. I'm hoping for the same here.

TCW didn't have laser slingshots...

DedValve

Banned
Not as silly as laser slingshots imo... I blame the OT for such a scene though.

What? It's downright stupid, I'd prefer a Jar Jar episode over that crap. Laser slingshots will never reach the ridiculousness of that episode, thank god Cad Bane put him out of his misery.

Also if the OT had such power we'd have Ashoka x Barriss
which ironically would be a deeper, interesting and more mature relationship than Anakin x Padme

Also, here's hoping Bobba plays a similar role to Cad Bane. He damn well better.

Cystm

The Jedi looks like a default dude template. The character designs overall look awful, but I do hope the pink Mandolorian is a decent character at least.

Disappointed with what we have been shown so far.

i hate how animation looks sigh....

i was thinking it was gonna be a beautiful drawn out REAL animation. The graphics look worse than The Clone Wars show. How is that even possible??

Myansie

What's wrong with a laser sling shot? Chewbacca has a crossbow, luke has a light sabre and giant 4 legged at-ats can get taken out by piss ant snow speeders with a tow cable. The Star Wars universe is a visual fantasy first. Reality is not a priority.

Lightsabers (actually people) being able to deflect lasers fired by rifles and pistols has always been bullshit, so I think it's pretty easy to cut some slack for the slingshot.

Toxi

Banned
Not sure why people are worried about the slingshot. It's a bit dorky for the main character, but it fits the pseudo-medieval style of Star Wars pretty well.

The slingshot is goofy as hell. I can't buy into it. I can buy a focused beam of light or whatever, but functionality as a fucking slingshot? Get out of here.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Not sure why people are worried about the slingshot. It's a bit dorky for the main character, but it fits the pseudo-medieval style of Star Wars pretty well.

Plus it's a kids show. For children. They have a whole different view on what's cool. If you think this shit isn't going to be emulated on every playground if the show takes off, you forgot what it's like to be a little dude with an imagination.

not terrible design.

oh man i wonder if kyle katarn is non-canon now

Oh man I wonder which game characters are non canon now derps.

OH WAIT

everyone.gif

This show looks fucking awful from what I've seen so far, I'm trying decide if I hate the art style more than I hated the Clone Wars art style, I'll wait for the first episode I guess.

CorvoSol

What's wrong with a laser sling shot? Chewbacca has a crossbow, luke has a light sabre and giant 4 legged at-ats can get taken out by piss ant snow speeders with a tow cable. The Star Wars universe is a visual fantasy first. Reality is not a priority.

There's a certain amount of thought that goes into light sabers and at-ats, though. Obi Wan's introduction to them makes sense: they were "elegant." The weapons of men and women who saw melee combat as something more than just a means of killing, so their development makes sense. AT-ATs and the chicken-walkers were likely cheap, easy to produce ground force invasion mechs which didn't require whatever materials kept the Droid Federation's forces floating.

But a laser slingshot seems a little bit weirder. What fuels the need for that?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
At what point did Clone Wars get good? I hear a lot of people saying it's fantastic, but what I watched was rather boring. (I watched the first 2 seasons, for reference)

It could be the character designs and the CG that turned me off, too.

I might check this show out, but the character designs are yet again horrid. So sad. :(

Tablo

I'm late into Season 2 of TCW, and I really love it. I'm excited considering Season 3 and on is supposed to be way better!

Granted it isn't perfect, and has some overly cheeky moments, I am nonetheless impressed.

Unfortunately, at least from Disney being involved and these character designs, I am steeling myself for a way too juvenile and kid targeted disappointment...
I would love to wrong though.

ankuo

Banned
The more im trying to get hyped about this (being a new chapter the future past episode 6) the more i get pissed off i hate this kiddish cast. i want titans fighting evil sith lords and stuff not this pathetic paperweight bs.

Toxi

Banned
You know what, the animation and stories were good, but my god I can't believe people like those character designs. I mean look at Palpatine
PalpatineCloneWar.JPG

The fuck is that
While I agree with you on Palpatine, he's supposed to be portrayed as a feeble old man, so I can understand why he's so silly-looking.

Other designs turned out much better; General Grievous particularly translated well to animation with his spindly proportions. One of the reasons people were so disappointed by him in episode 3 was that he moved with none of the fluidity he did in the cartoon.
Clone_Wars_Grievous_by_Grievous_fangirl.jpg

At what point did Clone Wars get good? I hear a lot of people saying it's fantastic, but what I watched was rather boring. (I watched the first 2 seasons, for reference)

It could be the character designs and the CG that turned me off, too.

I might check this show out, but the character designs are yet again horrid. So sad. :(

Mid-third season the quality does take a jump, both in art quality and writing. Its still imo a very hit and miss show even then (some epsiodes/arcs still blatantly made for and pander to children, I still ignore them) and even the good, relatively mature episodes usually have some annoying flaws, but it gets better none the less.

Easiest way to tell when the jump takes place is that Ahsoka gets redesigned and loses her stupid tank top for much better/mature garb. I think the first episode after the jump is "Heroes on Both Sides." I'd probably actually start with the Mortis arc though (also Season 3) to get a feeling if you should really start caring. I think thats probably the peak of the shows quality until the final arc of the 5th season.

Looks like the latest piece of Star Wars media is turning out to look like dog shit, and the world keeps turning...

*sigh*

I'll always have my childhood memories at least.

Lightsabers (actually people) being able to deflect lasers fired by rifles and pistols has always been bullshit, so I think it's pretty easy to cut some slack for the slingshot.

To be fair regular people can't deflect shots, only Jedi can, because magic.

This isn't magic, its very silly technology.

antonz

While I agree with you on Palpatine, he's supposed to be portrayed as a feeble old man, so I can understand why he's so silly-looking.
]

Prepare to have your mind blown. Qui-Gon was actually 10 years older than Palpatine.

Episode 2 for some reason did a really bad job on his makeup and aged him horribly then in Episode 3 he was more normal again. which was a make up department issue as key staff changed between movies

Prepare to have your mind blown. Qui-Gon was actually 10 years older than Palpatine.

Episode 2 for some reason did a really bad job on his makeup and aged him horribly then in Episode 3 he was more normal again. which was a make up department issue as key staff changed between movies

I assume they thought he had to rapidly age to look like the Emperor by III before Lucas pulled that Windu-Palpatine confrontation out of his ass.

antonz

I assume they thought he had to rapidly age to look lile the Emperor by III before Lucas pulled that Windu-Palpatine confrontation out of his ass.

That played a part too. There was the whole dark side usage leads to corruption etc then as you said in order to make it more apparent to fans they did the whole lightning scene in 3. Can't trust the fans to be able to see it happening. Even if lightning in the course of 6 movies have never caused such harm

Was all good show for Palpatine to play Anakin against Mace. Poor helpless Sith lord who the jedi have said is so dangerous and will wipe out the order on the ground begging like a wounded puppy while Mace continues to go after him.

TrueGrime

Still need to finish Clone Wars. Will reserve judgement for this but something about this just screams too much 'for kids'.

The slingshot is goofy as hell. I can't buy into it. I can buy a focused beam of light or whatever, but functionality as a fucking slingshot? Get out of here.

Star Wars weapons have never been scientifically sound. And there lasers were never actually lasers. People suddenly going to care about a stupid sling shot? Blasters are not lasers, they are forms of plasma weapons actually.

Hes a kid, he has a sling shot. People think this is some kind of super death sling shot that works like Rambo explosive arrows or something?

Yes. Bowcasters don''t actually function at all like crossbows, they are basically just blaster rifles with some functionless flare on the front.

How does that thing even function?

Bowcasters fire a bolt of metal (like a crossbow), that is encased in a blaster bolt to increase it's penetration

There's a certain amount of thought that goes into light sabers and at-ats, though. Obi Wan's introduction to them makes sense: they were "elegant." The weapons of men and women who saw melee combat as something more than just a means of killing, so their development makes sense. AT-ATs and the chicken-walkers were likely cheap, easy to produce ground force invasion mechs which didn't require whatever materials kept the Droid Federation's forces floating.

But a laser slingshot seems a little bit weirder. What fuels the need for that?

What fuels the need for a standard slingshot? It's not a laser slingshot either, why do people keep assuming this when it clearly is not lasers (lasers don't work that way!). The character is a kid, slingshots were hunting weapons till they became kids toys. It's odd no one was losing their shit when in the TCW they had energy bows that would be exact same principle.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I'm sorry but a slingshot is a stupid idea.

It's not even a thing any kid in this day and age would recognize. Its an old hoary index that's supposed to be an indicator of childhood adventure, but the only people who have ever actually seen one and would recognize that are age 50+ executives. I'm still going to check it out, I'm still a Star Wars fan, and I'm not going to flip out everywhere making assumptions of what this show is going to be.

But literally anything would have been better than a slingshot.

Not loading. I'll take it that means it's gone?

Yup, sorry.

Here's the summary that accompanied the trailer:

Starring a small band of heroes -- Sabine, Kanan, Hera, Ezra, Zeb, and Chopper -- Star Wars Rebels is set in a time where the Empire rules through fear and shrouds the galaxy in darkness. This trailer offers many new glimpses at sequences from the show, including the starship Ghost chased by TIE Fighters; young Ezra watching as a Star Destroyer looms overhead; Stormtroopers marching; a zero-g fight between our heroes and Imperials; and Kanan, a secret Jedi, assembling his lightsaber and preparing for battle. It ends, however, with an Imperial officer reporting to the Inquisitor -- the Empire's Jedi hunter, seen and heard here for the first time.

Star Wars Rebels takes place between Star Wars: Episode III and IV as the Empire tightens its grip on the galaxy and a rebellion begins to form. The series, executive produced by Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg, and Greg Weisman, is scheduled to premiere in fall 2014 as a one-hour special telecast on Disney Channel and will be followed by a series on Disney XD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom