• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels, New Animated Series coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveH

I'm excited for any all-ages stuff that attempts to do serial storytelling. Studios have been shying away from anything that isn't episodically accessible at the expense of all the things that serial stories allow.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Hopefully it's as good as The Clone Wars was

DaveH

That was great. I can feel the story beats and know the action is going to be there. The score and some of the sweeping shots delivered on the Star Wars feel. I can get over the palette and textures if they execute on everything else.

Great seeing some old friends too.

They are not wasting a single ounce, a single MILLILITER of Ralph McQuarrie's concept art.

It's amazing looking at it move for the first time.

That new trailer is so much better than the first one they put out a few days ago.

And it's good to see they aren't shying away from actual violence showing Stormtrooper being impaled and such.

You know how much extra "oomph" all of this gets simply from having straight up Star Destroyers and TIE Fighters in it?

Plus the Inquisitor's lightsaber sounds pretty cool.

Altazor

Now that's more like it. Finally I can see the McQuarrie influence... the tone of the trailer was much better than the previous ones. Getting hyped for this!

Interesting to see Luminara is still alive. Should make some EU fans even more unhappy that this show is stomping all over it. I seem to remember some fans being upset with the Clone Wars show and their handling of Mandalorians.

Yeah, you got his first crack at Chewie talking shit to Ezra
You got Chopper and his Metropolis-inspired design for Threepio standing right across from Artoo and Threepio.
An early design for the Stormtrooper helmet is snapping down over Ezra's face.
The lightsabers even look like the way he would paint them, and not the way they looked in the movies.

I mean, I guess the more cynical types would call all that shit "fanservice," but I just think it's kinda awesome.

antonz

Luminara being alive is a little odd but not really a big deal. She was fighting on Kashyyyk with Yoda so I guess they could claim Yoda managed to warn her. Though it could also all be a ploy to get them to try and rescue her while the Inquisitor is in wait

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Luminara being alive is a little odd but not really a big deal. She was fighting on Kashyyyk with Yoda so I guess they could claim Yoda managed to warn her. Though it could also all be a ploy to get them to try and rescue her while the Inquisitor is in wait
I picked up on that too. Nothing canonically says she's died, so it's still possible.

It's also plausible because the same comic that showed Luminara getting blasted on Kashyyk also depicted Quinlan Vos literally getting vaporized on the same planet, and *he* came back later on; no reason why she couldn't.

An Imperial propaganda website has surfaced as well:

http://holonetnews.com/

Oh shit, it's back from the (viral) grave: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/HoloNet_News_(website)

People bitching about the sling shot, new clip shows it's not even a weapon, it doesn't hurt stormtroopers, doesn't even leave a mark on their armor.

Looks pretty good, only concern I have is that the animation so far seems sub Clone Wars in quality. It'll be hard to live up to CW though, from Season 3 onwards what the animators were able to do with that series BLEW MY MIND.

Looks pretty good, only concern I have is that the animation so far seems sub Clone Wars in quality. It'll be hard to live up to CW though, from Season 3 onwards what the animators were able to do with that series BLEW MY MIND.

Doubt it will ever match CW quality, CW was supposedly one of the most expensive CG animated series being made. LFL was pumping in lot of money to make it upfront. Unless it's a massive hit, I don't think Disney has much incentive to waste a ton of money, when it still looks better as it currently than any other CG animated show on TV.

DaveH

I'm going to resist watching. Many Star Wars podcasters got a chance to see the first two-episode "movie" at SDCC and there has been nothing but rave reviews (no spoilers, but thoughtful comments about why they liked it), even from some skeptics and people who disliked Clone Wars! I'm totally psyched.

DaveH

Whats it called?

A New Dawn: Star Wars

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. . . .

“The war is over. The Separatists have been defeated, and the Jedi rebellion has been foiled. We stand on the threshold of a new beginning.”—Emperor Palpatine

For a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights brought peace and order to the Galactic Republic, aided by their connection to the mystical energy field known as the Force. But they were betrayed—and the entire galaxy has paid the price. It is the Age of the Empire.

Now Emperor Palpatine, once Chancellor of the Republic and secretly a Sith follower of the dark side of the Force, has brought his own peace and order to the galaxy. Peace through brutal repression, and order through increasing control of his subjects’ lives.

But even as the Emperor tightens his iron grip, others have begun to question his means and motives. And still others, whose lives were destroyed by Palpatine’s machinations, lay scattered about the galaxy like unexploded bombs, waiting to go off. . . .

The first Star Wars novel created in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group, Star Wars: A New Dawn is set during the legendary “Dark Times” between Episodes III and IV and tells the story of how two of the lead characters from the animated series Star Wars Rebels first came to cross paths. Featuring a foreword by Dave Filoni.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
It's a New Dawn, the first new canon piece coming out.

I liked Kenobi, a lot, which was also by John Jackson Miller. This isn't quite as western heavy, but it feels similar in some ways.

I hope Kanan comes through in the series like he does in the book. And honestly that 7 minute clip, which I just watched, was great.

Animation feels a bit stiff, but overall it looks good!

Like the Clone Wars the first season. (actually no...Ambush looks better than this teaser) Should improve with time.

What was surprising (and appealing) was the level of violence I saw. There were explosions that obviously killed...blasters hitting storm troopers in the chest.

I like a lot.

Agree the animations looked stiff...background looked a little flat...but character models look great.

I'm going to enjoy this group of heroes way more than anyone in the Clone Wars though. I can tell that already. I never felt an affinity to anyone in the old series.

Joeytj

Banned
That's... a lot more violence that what I expected.

And yeah, I'm going to be grading this show on a Clone Wars curve. I won't rush to condemn its flaws based on the first 7 minutes, knowing that Clone Wars got better as it progressed, so I'm hoping that any flaws in Rebels will slowly be fixed by the same team that did it for Clone Wars.

That looked like small indie studio youtube channel budget cheap. It looks worse then early episodes of Clone Wars, which looked like shit compared to its latter seasons. Seriously... wtf Disney?

That looked like small indie studio youtube channel budget cheap. It looks worse then early episodes of Clone Wars, which looked like shit compared to its latter seasons. Seriously... wtf Disney?
Small investment, big returns. Disney doesn't have any incentive to use a big budget for this show....

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

I think you guys are being incredibly hard on it, and just piling on at this point.

Or I'm just like...vision retarded. It looks downright identical to Clone Wars to me. Some of the models look straight from Clone Wars.

My big problem is the writing has taken a clear downturn, and they've put back in witless quips and one liners. They're trying so hard to make that kid cool.

No, that art was butt ugly. Yet the quality of the show made up for it that didn't change that it was an eyesore to look at.

#notaste
C'mon son, Genndy's modernist UPA-esque stuff is awesome. There are some great character designs and awesome environmental art in that show; plus the animation is stellar.

Anyways, that preview for the new series was kind of cool.
The CG looks a little lackluster and the animation is a little stiff, but I've come to expect that from tv-budgeted 3D cartoons.
I'll probably end up giving it a chance, especially if I hear good things about it.

The CG looks fine, a downgrade from CW but we knew for months it was going to be that way.

Still looks better than any other TV animated CG show out there currently, only CW was better.

Lot of it looked good, the animation was kinda stiff though, reminded me of the first season of TCW that if you go back and watch now, was really stiff compared to how smooth they made it look in later seasons.

Lucas personally bankrolled TCW. The show lost money throughout its run, and was fiendishly expensive to produce. It's the reason why Disney cancelled it as soon as they bought Lucasfilm.

So yeah, Rebels' budget is a lot lower. I think the lighting is the biggest difference so far. But, this is still the same main crew that dramatically improved TCW season after season, so I'm hopefully they'll grow into a aesthetically pleasing style within their new budget constraints. Seeing as George's billions are no longer available for his pet projects, and Disney's track record with animated action shows, I'd be really, really surprised if Rebels makes it past 3 seasons (and getting to 3 seasons might be optimistic on my part).

Hamlet

The seven minute preview was enjoyable enough, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt considering how Clones Wars initially started like
Dialogue ain't the best though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom