• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels, New Animated Series coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarcastor

REB_IA_2806-2-610x343.jpg

am I the only one getting this vibe?

Chris-Evans-Lucas-Lee-Posters-1.jpg

WillyFive

Why would you think that? The Clone Wars team is also doing this one.

I think he means the original Clone Wars show, the hand-drawn one by Genndy Tartakovsky. The team behind this one is the same as the later show, the CG one by Dave Filoni.

I think he means the original Clone Wars show, the hand-drawn one by Genndy Tartakovsky. The team behind this one is the same as the later show, the CG one by Dave Filoni.

I think the one by Genndy Tartakovsky is highly overrated. I just thought it was good, but I prefer the CG one by Dave Filoni.

Same here. At least it won't have boring episodes dealing with politics and diplomacies like TCW had, right?

I loved those episodes. Thought they were really good. But since this is set during the original trilogy, it should be something different. So, of course it's not going to have "politics" .

New interview with Kinberg:

- Rebels seasons will be 16 episodes long (as opposed to TCW's 22 episode seasons)
- He wrote both the premiere and the season finale
KINBERG: Writing dialogue for any of the legacy characters is as big a thrill as anything I’ve ever had in my life. I said this to [producer Katherine Kennedy] that when I open up a Final Draft document, and I tab over to “Character” and it’s a character from the original films—to be nameless until people see them—but if it’s a character from the original films, just typing in those letters and then that being the recorded name in that name database for that script is as surreal, and perhaps more so, than anything I’ve experienced in my career.

So OT characters wll definitelyl be showing up. We know of Obi-Wan from the toy leak, and Billy Dee has been heavily hinting that Lando will also show up. My prediction is Vader in the finale as well.

Collider

sphagnum

Banned
So in A New Hope, the opening title crawl says "Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire."

Either these guys are gonna be hilariously inept, or they're just going to have to push that one under the rug.

The crawl is referring to the Rebel Alliance. Do we know if the rebels in this show are members of the Alliance? It seems more like they're just a band of rogues.

Joeytj

Banned
Since I'm a big fan of TWC and of Dave Filoni, I'll give the dialogue in these first episodes a pass. They aren't horrible, but some lines are a bit cringe worthy. Also not in love with the voice acting.

But the animation looks incredible, and so does the "feel" and style of the original series.

Obi-Wan's dialogue and appearance gave me chills.

Mariolee

So in A New Hope, the opening title crawl says "Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire."

Either these guys are gonna be hilariously inept, or they're just going to have to push that one under the rug.

They're definitely going to win a bunh of battles, but I'm guessing the series finale will be the actual big battle won that makes it seem that the Empire is finally able to be dismantled while the other ones were more personal victories.

Joeytj

Banned

No, this group of heroes isn't the Rebel Alliance, not even hinted that they are their founding members. Just "the spark" perhaps. We might get to see the founding of the Alliance in later seasons, but that's a whole other story.

obin_gam

When exactly is the series going to be set? Directly after EP3 I presume as to explain why no one believes in the jedi religion in A New Hope?

No, this group of heroes isn't the Rebel Alliance, not even hinted that they are their founding members. Just "the spark" perhaps. We might get to see the founding of the Alliance in later seasons, but that's a whole other story.

Wasn't the Alliance founded in Episode III?

One little crew of a single starships actions is not going to be considered much of anything in the grand scheme of things against the Empire. It's not like the victory of actual warfare taking out something the size of the death star. This is also all pre Rebel Alliance, part of the show is supposed to be about the roots of the creation of an alliance.

Wasn't the Alliance founded in Episode III?

No Rebellion was never mentioned or formed in that movie. It was founded in several different ways according to the EU so it was never consistent and well now the EU has been swept aside so they got a clean slate for creating the alliance foundings.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Stop it with the BOOOOOOZH sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lidhltQ_Nw

Just please.

Otherwise, yeah, it looks targeted a bit more towards a younger audience than The Clone Wars. More "heroic" shots, more cliche' dialogue, etc. But it looks like something I'll enjoy watching with my son, and I hope that they manage to bridge the gap between ROTS and ANH. Should be interesting!

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
No Rebellion was never mentioned or formed in that movie. It was founded in several different ways according to the EU so it was never consistent and well now the EU has been swept aside so they got a clean slate for creating the alliance foundings.

I believe in Revenge of the Sith, Padme was secretly meeting with Senators (Bail Organa and Mon Mothma) who would become part of the Rebel Alliance. They may have been deleted scenes though.

EDIT: Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLEgbN0AUn4

This all appears to be from the pilot episode, which was written by Simon Kinberg (X-Men: Days of Future Past). The pilot is also going to be screened this Thursday at SDCC.

TheXbox

Still looks terrible. Maybe it will pull a Clone Wars and get better in a couple years, but for right now the art style is atrocious, the dialogue is laughable ('Your parents must be worried sick!' 'I have no parents'), and there is still a slingshot lightsaber. Please just make a show about Ahsoka and kill this entire cast.

This looks like such a step down from Clone Wars from a writing standpoint.

I loved Clone Wars, but that didn't start out great either. With that said, I'm incredibly weary of this one since Disney's involved, but we'll see. Hopefully it turns out great.... though I'm still bitter that they had to can Clone Wars.

The one thing I really dislike, is the protagonist's design, it looks so childish and just plain bad. Simply changing his hair color would make it a lot better.

sphagnum

Banned
I believe in Revenge of the Sith, Padme was secretly meeting with Senators (Bail Organa and Mon Mothma) who would become part of the Rebel Alliance. They may have been deleted scenes though.

EDIT: Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLEgbN0AUn4

Yeah, Padme had a bit more to do in the original cut of RotS between her trying to convince Palpatine to end the war with the Petition of 2000 and forming the Alliance to Restore the Republic with Bail, Mon Mothma, and a few others. I was really annoyed that these scenes were cut because they're really good.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
It looks exactly like Clone Wars to me?

It has less of the 'painting' effect on textures that Clone Wars had and instead has more solid colors, but other than that it looks almost exactly the same.

Rootbeer

Banned
It looks exactly like Clone Wars to me?

It has less of the 'painting' effect on textures that Clone Wars had and instead has more solid colors, but other than that it looks almost exactly the same.

Same here... quality looks similar to later seasons of Clone Wars, which is considered to be some of the best CGI animation in a television show. (Though I was very very impressed with the Dragons of Berk animation... almost as good as the films. Story though? not so much)

Clone Wars/Rebels has a certain style to it though, personally I think it works great. Can respect if others don't like it.

Anyways, I'm wondering if any Rebels characters or lore will be at all referenced in EpVII-IX. Do Ezra and Kanan survive the Jedi purge? Are they still alive during the events of IV-VI? How about later? Just thinking about stuff like that gets my brain buzzing, knowing that this show is part of the new canon from the get go.

Star Wars has its share of dark moments for sure, but I can't believe that by the end of Rebels (however many seasons that may end up being) that both of them would be dead. Can't imagine them going there, yet they must have thought about these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom