• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels, New Animated Series coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that we might see Han or Chewie when I heard of Wookiiee slaves. Isn't the old EU backstory of Chewie is that Han saved him from the Empire or something like that?

I'm glad they didn't do something like that. I like it if they keep this series somewhat detached and it's own thing, and not try to jam it with cameos or tie ins to the movies, which was a huge problem with the prequels.

I haven't seen the pilot, but how is that possible when
Obi Wan looks super young?

Yea the holocron recording is from Ep3, Obi Wan goes off to record a message to send out to all remaining Jedi to go hide and not come back to Coruscant.

lunchtoast

Was surprised how much I enjoyed it. All I knew about the show was some artwork from last year when it was announced.

Looking forward to the series.

Knoxcore

Christ, I love Star Wars but that looks so bad. The animation is terrible. They should have kept Clone Wars going.

I completely disagree. After watching the the pilot, I must say I enjoyed it far more than the Clone Wars movie. And while I've only seen about a dozen or so Clone Wars episodes, I think the animation is better in Rebels. Detail and movement look much better.

I never got into The Clone Wars series because I felt even if the characters were better/more fleshed out than the prequels, the only content that really mattered were the movies. With that said, I think I'm going to get behind and watch Rebels. Maybe, the appeal is that the characters are brand new so they can do interesting things that they couldn't do with the strict restrictions on the main characters of the movies, I'm sure we'll get some cameo's by some of the movie characters at some point, but I like what I saw in the pilot so far with the music and characters.

This is a mistake. TCW is canon and has more lore concerning the force than any of the movies do. It's also just damn good from season 3 on out.

Big One

Banned
I enjoyed it, much more than the premiere of TCW in the very least (the movie, that is).

Kid is annoying but hopefully the show will flesh out the characters in time.

I completely disagree. After watching the the pilot, I must say I enjoyed it far more than the Clone Wars movie. And while I've only seen about a dozen or so Clone Wars episodes, I think the animation is better in Rebels. Detail and movement look much better.

A couple of things you should know.

1. Clone Wars was amazing 2 season on. Some or the best star wars anything in the last 20 years.
2. Clone Wars CG and Animation is better because they had a higher budget with that said, Rebels looks good and people will get use to the art style.

Rootbeer

Banned
Maybe, I'll give it another shot when I have nothing else to watch. All the episodes are up on Netflix, right?

Yes they are, i just pseudo-marathoned it over the course of the last month and i'm really glad I did. I previously had not much interest in it, but I was hungry for some Star Wars and it did not disappoint.

Don't forget the missing episodes which never became finished episodes that were adapted into other media. You can read about them here:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Darth_Maul—Son_of_Dathomir
http://www.starwars.com/tv-shows/the-clone-wars-legacy
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Disciple

Just finished watching this episode. Had alot of fun watching this. Thought the Wookies looked terrible, but overall great episode.

Even though I'm sad that The Clone Wars is cancelled, I think this is a really great replacement so far.

Happy to lend you them but apart from the Wookies, everything else looked good in my book. Certainly not the disaster some people are making it out to be.
Im going to give it some time because all the other CG shows turned out well by the end of season 1.
Clone Wars
Green Lantern
Beware the Batman

But right now im a little worried with the art.

I feel the switch in visual aesthetic from marionettes and realistic backgrounds to action figures and McQuarrie paintings is a smart call for a couple reasons. It's a Star Wars show. It's livelihood is dependent on selling toys. Making the characters and vehicles look EXACTLY like the toys on the shelves makes it a little easier for those kids to attach themselves, I'd think. Plus it's gotta make it a little easier to animate in that the levels of detail aren't as necessary.

They've made a Star Wars show where the Star Wars tie-in toys are literally on-screen talking and fighting with each other.

The animation itself looks good, its simply less detailed visually. Simpler character models, less fancy effects. TCW was getting really impressive detailed with hair and cloth. Nothing on TV will likely come close and really Rebels looks better than most anything else CG animated on TV still. Its a step back from TCW, but still better than the rest.

Peff

I feel the switch in visual aesthetic from marionettes and realistic backgrounds to action figures and McQuarrie paintings is a smart call for a couple reasons. It's a Star Wars show. It's livelihood is dependent on selling toys. Making the characters and vehicles look EXACTLY like the toys on the shelves makes it a little easier for those kids to attach themselves, I'd think. Plus it's gotta make it a little easier to animate in that the levels of detail aren't as necessary.

They've made a Star Wars show where the Star Wars tie-in toys are literally on-screen talking and fighting with each other.

It looks very Disney Infinity friendly, too.

Why is it that Star Wars cartoons can get away with blatantly murdering people and outright stating they'll kill someone?

Anyway I thought it was pretty damn good, there's some good potential here. And it really can't be understated how much the music makes Star Wars 'Star Wars'.

Why is it that Star Wars cartoons can get away with blatantly murdering people and outright stating they'll kill someone?

Anyway I thought it was pretty damn good, there's some good potential here. And it really can't be understated how much the music makes Star Wars 'Star Wars'.

It's an animated show that's intended for all ages. Actually i think the show is geared more towards kids and adults than it is young children. Death on the show...like it was on TCW, should be expected...no?

I also think the smaller budget is why the art style is less detailed.

TCW was fucking amazing, the last 2 seasons were incredible.

I was pleasantly surprised by this show as well, not on par with the quality of TCW but I can see the potential here. I liked the characters more than I thought I would.

- Variety review:

Perhaps the “Star Wars” franchise’s worst-kept secret during the second-trilogy era is that its best screen depictions have come via TV animation. Inaugurating the Disney-synergy juggernaut before director J.J. Abrams can get there, “Star Wars Rebels” continues this trend, offering a sly, stylish offshoot — introducing a new lineup of characters very much in the “Clone Wars” tradition — with scads of action, beautiful animation and fidelity to the original’s spirit. Premiering on Disney Channel with a one-hour launch subtitled “Spark of Rebellion” before settling in as a series on boy-oriented Disney XD, the Force is indeed strong with this one.

OK...that was damn entertaining.

Music is excellent (felt like they ripped it from ANH's soundtrack).

Comparing this to the first episode of TCW...I think I'm going to enjoy this cast of characters way more than I did TCW's. I wasn't an Anakin fan at all.

I'm in for the duration of the series. (Made me want to fire up Destiny)

Oh, and I don't have a problem with the quality of the animation at all. It's different from TCW, but not necessarily worse. It fits.

Beowulf28

Since the show is so close to the OT in terms of timeline I wonder how their going to handle all these Jedi characters running around since it seemed like Jedi had been gone for a long time and there weren't any Jedi in the rebellion so they will have to kill off these characters right?

Since the show is so close to the OT in terms of timeline I wonder how their going to handle all these Jedi characters running around since it seemed like Jedi had been gone for a long time and there weren't any Jedi in the rebellion so they will have to kill off these characters right?

Its a universe with millions of planets, two Jedi isn't really significant especially if they keep focusing on the planet lothal.

Its a universe with millions of planets, two Jedi isn't really significant especially if they keep focusing on the planet lothal.

Bingo.

If a Jedi didn't want to let it be known that she/he were alive...it'd be pretty easy to disguise the fact that a jedi exist in the universe.

Changes would have to be made...but I think it'd be pretty easy to adapt to not using jedi powers.

Even if there are 100 jedi still in the universe that be less than .00000000000000000001% of the HUMAN population alone. Add in multiple alien races...

Most jedi have been rounded up and killed by ANH. Not all.

Beowulf28

Well I guess what I really meant is why aren't these characters helping out Luke and Co during the OT? The only answer that doesn't bring up plot holes in the films is that their dead right?

Well I guess what I really meant is why aren't these characters helping out Luke and Co during the OT? The only answer that doesn't bring up plot holes in the films is that their dead right?

Or...other side of the galaxy because there is more than one battle to be fought. I don't see how anything is broken if both sides never see each other. It's another story in the same universe...but not in the same areas at the same time.

Why? Probably because it'd be damn tough to find each other to say "hey, we should combine our forces to take out Vader and all those people who slaughtered most of the other jedi".

How is that a plot hole that couldn't easily be filled?

Oh, and i'm fricken tickled pink that stormtroopers are now the bad guys again. No more wars with a billion stupid androids hopefully.

Beowulf28

Or...other side of the galaxy because there is more than one battle to be fought. I don't see how anything is broken if both sides never see each other. It's another story in the same universe...but not in the same areas at the same time.

Why? Probably because it'd be damn tough to find each other to say "hey, we should combine our forces to take out Vader and all those people who slaughtered most of the other jedi".

How is that a plot hole that couldn't easily be filled?

Oh, and i'm fricken tickled pink that stormtroopers are now the bad guys again. No more wars with a billion stupid androids hopefully.
I don't know I just feel like multiple Jedi running around during the OT timeframe undermines Luke's status as the last of the Jedi.

sphagnum

Banned
Canonically speaking, any Jedi left must be dead before RotJ. It always bugged me that they kept breaking that rule in the old EU and I hope they stick to it this time around.

"Luke, when gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be."

The season pass for Star Wars Rebels: Spark of the Rebellion just went up on iTunes for $7.99 (US). Is that just the movie length premiere/pilot or the complete series?

Maybe Kanan dies but not Ezra or something. Luke is the last Jedi left, but surely Leia is not the only non-Jedi, Force-sensitive people left in the galaxy.

Rootbeer

Banned
The season pass for Star Wars Rebels: Spark of the Rebellion just went up on iTunes for $7.99 (US). Is that just the movie length premiere/pilot or the complete series?

Based on the pricing and that it says "Spark of Rebellion" which is the name of the DVD which only contains that first hour-long episode... I think it's just the premiere.

They should add another season pass that contains more episodes, so I'd just wait for now unless you really want it.
Canonically speaking, any Jedi left must be dead before RotJ. It always bugged me that they kept breaking that rule in the old EU and I hope they stick to it this time around.

"Luke, when gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be."
I think there is wiggle room here... last of the Jedi known to YODA, that is. Even if Kanan and Ezra die before the events of Episode VI when Yoda says that, how would Yoda even know they were the last? And if they don't die before him, he may not even know they exist.

Surely Yoda can't sense every trained force user in the galaxy. If he can, what is stopping dark force users or Sith from doing the same and making it easier for them to hunt them down? Kanan would surely show up and he'd have been killed long before the events of Rebels.

When something really bad happens to a life form or group of life forms, it seems to send a ripple out into the force and those attuned to it can sense that, but otherwise I don't think they really have the ability to sense who does/does not exist. So I believe Yoda was just being practical in his assumption when telling Luke that.

Based on the pricing and that it says "Spark of Rebellion" which is the name of the DVD which only contains that first hour-long episode... I think it's just the premiere.

They should add another season pass that contains more episodes, so I'd just wait for now unless you really want it.

I thought as much, but the store page promotes the "season pass" aspect.

SEASON PASS

This Season Pass includes all current and future episodes of Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion. Available episodes can be found in the TV Shows section of your iTunes 11 library, in Purchased in the iTunes Store on your computer or iOS device, or in Purchased under TV Shows on your Apple TV.

Is it possible it's a pricing error?

I'm keen on subbing to the series, based on impressions here and my own from the promotional work released. $7.99 is too good a deal to pass up, but is more than I'd like to spend on a single episode, if it's just the premiere.

Rootbeer

Banned
The real season pass that will contain all S01 episodes (or at least half, depends how they split it) will go on sale close to the premier of the next episode. Pretty sure the reason for this is due to how they are promoting the first episode as a "movie". I would wait! Unless you want to rebuy the premier, which is fine if you have $8 to spare :p

Also, it is possible that the spark of rebellion extras and the S01 extras will not be the same, so you may also be interested in those other extras from owning both

The real season pass that will contain all S01 episodes (or at least half, depends how they split it) will go on sale close to the premier of the next episode. Pretty sure the reason for this is due to how they are promoting the first episode as a "movie". I would wait! Unless you want to rebuy the premier, which is fine if you have $8 to spare :p

It's a strange way to promote it. Surely it wouldn't have a season pass available if it was just the pilot? I only just received an Apple TV and have started looking into subbing to series digitally. Apple's definition of a season pass is confusing to me.

Also, it is possible that the spark of rebellion extras and the S01 extras will not be the same, so you may also be interested in those other extras from owning both
Holy lord! Eight dollars for that premiere!? That is insanely ridiculously overpriced.

Rootbeer

Banned
It's a strange way to promote it. Surely it wouldn't have a season pass available if it was just the pilot? I only just received an Apple TV and have started looking into subbing to series digitally. Apple's definition of a season pass is confusing to me.

It's possible it is the actual season... but i have strong doubts. I guess you can go with your instinct.
Holy lord! Eight dollars for that premiere!? That is insanely ridiculously overpriced.
The DVD costs $19.99 (before discount.)

Faiz

Yes they are, i just pseudo-marathoned it over the course of the last month and i'm really glad I did. I previously had not much interest in it, but I was hungry for some Star Wars and it did not disappoint.

Don't forget the missing episodes which never became finished episodes that were adapted into other media. You can read about them here:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Darth_Maul—Son_of_Dathomir
http://www.starwars.com/tv-shows/the-clone-wars-legacy
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Disciple

Thanks for mentioning this, I'd completely forgotten about the Ventress/Vos novel coming. I just started in on the lost episodes/season 6 and leaving Ventress where they did felt empty.

Hoping for some new Ahsoka material too, eventually, of course, just like everyone else...

Just watched this today on Xfinity and wow. I really enjoyed it.

I felt it started rather suddenly but found its way really quick, it feels like OT Star Wars. The music is incredible and so far I like all of the characters.

Super impressed.

I still don't know how excited I am for this. I'd hate to be not impressed by the first episode and then they pull a Clone Wars and it becomes amazing and I miss out on that.

Abounder

Banned
These design choices are basically terrible: the imperial helmet beard character, the wookies, and blue hair. But other than that it was fun. The villains will be the most important feature for me to keep watching space Aladdin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom