• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels, New Animated Series coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

well the series ending was essentially going to be Revenge of the Sith. They gave closure to one character, there was some plot threads left dangling. But final EPs of season 5 were fantastic.

And of course many hope that Rebels will possibly continue some of the stuff from Clone Wars... wouldn't be surprised to see some returning character cameos.
I think I stopped near season 4 but I can only assume the one character has to be
Anakin's padawan, Ahsoka, right? Since she seemingly only exists in TCW and stops existing elsewhere as far as I know.
If so then I'm somewhat relieved.

9394075989_622f2a2a50_o.jpg

The trooper to me looks very goofy, almost a bit too stylized and less menacing looking. The clone wars style still conveyed the look of the armor, but this looks like a highly deformed styled character design.

A more stylized art direction might make the troopers look less menacing, but I have a feeling it will also make human faces look better. That was easily the worst aspect of Clone Wars visually.

And yeah, I realize I'm replying to a months-old post.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
I really hope this series continues the tone Clone Wars built up to, but have a bad feeling it will be back to being too lighthearted. I could live with the animation taking a step back (I'm guessing this doesn't have the budget Clone Wars had), as long as the writing continues to be strong.

NYCC panel reveals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX1uCXVg9ug

Hidalgo "set the galactic stage," with the series taking place 13 years after the end of Episode III. "When the Empire first formed, the stability was actually a welcome change from the constantly warring and declining Republic."

"One of the principles of the Empire is expansion, and they did that by pushing out into the Outer Rim territories that the Republic never really got into." Palpatine easily sells the idea. The planet Lothal is one of the principal locations for the show, a frontier world in the Outer Rim.

Sc1nKB1.jpg

The Empire “doesn’t have the resources to invade every planet they want to annex," Hidalgo said. Instead, they tend to simply install new rulers on each world that doesn't declare loyalty. "It becomes pretty apparent, though, that the Empire doesn't have the best interests of Lothal in mind," and fosters a feeling of rebellion.

The Stormtrooper design for the show was put on screen, and it's "nearly identical" to the live-action model. Hidalgo outright said that Clone Troopers, who were lab grown, George Lucas said, "showed too much individuality to be of use to the Empire," and the Storm Troopers are instead recruited patriots.

The blaster the Storm Troopers will use on the show will have the bump that was on the original Kenner action figures, something that never made it into the movies.

qihmDlY.jpg

m52EqZK.jpg

A new walker, the AT-DP will be introduced, with new pilots as well. That was designed by Joe Johnson. The All-Terrain Defense-Pod is the first of many new vehicles.

WTKHbml.jpg

1LVtcfC.jpg

Hidalgo teased the "Troop Transport" by showing the old commercial, and that will actually make it into the show.

WQKDAMf.jpg

The TIE-Fighters in the series will have a larger ball cockpit and smaller wings than that in the films. It's based off McQuarrie's original design (seen above). Hidalgo said they had a long email chain about whether troopers get into the TIE fighter through the top or the back hatch - for their "earlier version of the TIE Fighter" in this show, they'll all go in through a hatch on the top.

DO91ued.jpg

c6N5ZZo.jpg

A new freighter was designed for the show, as well, but the Imperial Star Destroyers will also make it in. Hidalgo pointed out that with the show being "about 5 years before Episode IV" there will be some differences in these ships - they too will be inspired by McQuarrie paintings.

jtiepkq.jpg

CONjtjV.jpg

"That's how serious a threat the Empire is," Hidalgo said. "Our heroes are very much the underdogs." He pointed out that is a major change from The Clone Wars, where the heroes were the establishment.

"Every era of the Star Wars saga has a marquee villain. For most people, when Darth Vader hits the scene, he's the preeminent one. But there are others" and they introduced The Inquisitor, a dual-bladed lightsaber wielding white-skinned agent of Vader tasked to hunt down the remaining Jedi.

6Y4M8V3.jpg

KynLuOd.jpg

"If the Inquisitors are brought in, that means the Empire has reason to believe that Jedi are involved somehow. They are, but we are very cognizent of what happened with Order 66, and Luke's importance as the last of the Jedi."

Hidalgo couldn't answer a question about The Inquisitor and his possible relationship to Starkiller from The Force Unleashed. The Inquisitors are a part of lore that are being pulled into this story, though.

Clone troopers aged twice as fast as everyone else. Some of them have gone on to become trainers of Storm Troopers. "George provided all these notes about what happened after the Clone Wars, and we're designing the show with that in mind."

A fan asked if any characters from Star Wars the Clone Wars will show up on Rebels, and Hidalgo said he couldn't answer, "but given that there are a lot of people that worked on Clone Wars working on Rebels, that's definitely something to think about."

Hidalgo said there is a big focus on the Imperials in the show, and they'll be as developed alongside the heroes.

The Ghost is the final name of the ship, and it is named that "for a very specific reason," said Hidalgo.

Rebels will not operate on the one-year lead time that The Clone Wars did. He said that the biggest difference content wise between the two shows is that George Lucas is not directly doing the ideas for this series.

"It's not just black and white Rebels versus Empire" Hidalgo said in response to a question about bounty hunter presence.

Fans tried to pry for some more information about the Inquisitor(s), and Hidalgo only said "our heroes will find out that when they are more successful, they'll have to fight bigger bosses."

http://www.newsarama.com/19219-nycc-2013-star-wars-rebels-the-might-of-the-empire-panel-live.html

The panel, hosted by Lucasfilm's Pablo Hidalgo, focused on the Empire and how it is central to the story of Star Wars Rebels. Hidalgo revealed that the series takes place about 14 years after the events of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, a time in which the Emperor's rule is secure and the Empire is seeking to expand its power to Outer Rim territories. That leads Imperial forces to Lothal, a poor planet that initially welcomes the Empire on the promise of security and prosperity. It soon becomes obvious, however, that the Empire does not have Lothal's best interests at heart, as the Imperials exploit its people and begin recruiting young citizens to join TIE fighter and Stormtrooper academies, or to work in the Sienar Fleet Systems factory -- which builds TIE fighters -- in the planet's capital. Hidalgo showed new art focusing on Lothal, including the planet itself, a town, and alleyways, as well as an Empire recruitment poster.

The show is fully embracing the Star Wars legacy, taking direct inspiration from the original trilogy and its concept artist Ralph McQuarrie. Hidalgo displayed new Star Wars Rebels imagery and animation models for Stormtroopers, Star Destroyers, TIE fighters, and TIE fighter pilots, all of which fit seamlessly with classic Star Wars. Additionally, Hidalgo introduced several new Imperial vehicles and designs created for the series: the All Terrain Defense Pod (AT-DP), a ground attack walker based on an early Joe Johnston (the filmmaker who designed Boba Fett's armor and speeder bikes, and made other major contributions to Star Wars) illustration from 1979; the new AT-DP pilot, which blends designs of the classic AT-AT walker driver from Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back and the AT-ST walker pilot from Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi; the Imperial Troop Transport, which comes from an early Kenner toy that was actually not based on designs from the films; and the Imperial freighter, a reimagining of an Imperial-style craft designed for Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace by concept artist Doug Chiang, featuring a dock to transport TIE fighters from system to system.

http://starwars.com/news/nycc-2013-meet-the-inquisitor-the-new-face-of-evil-in-star-wars-rebels.html

Darklord

Banned
That all looks really awesome until...

The Inquisitor, a dual-bladed lightsaber

Oh...yay. More excuses to stick a sith in somewhere. You know, cause that's what made the original trilogy so popular. All those dozens of Jedi and Sith.

Kinda looks alot like the art style of the clone wars with that last picture. And the inquisitor looks alot like the Mortis trilogy son.

Oh...yay. More excuses to stick a sith in somewhere. You know, cause that's what made the original trilogy so popular. All those dozens of Jedi and Sith.

It's ironic to hear such complaints when you have folks in the gaming sector bitching about not having force users in SW video games and how dumb that is.

This also wont be a sith, he will be just like Ventress who was not a Sith but wanted to be so they can get around the rule of two.

By this point, does anyone actually give a shit about star wars? I can't even be fucked selling my original boxed 70s toys as I can't imagine anyone would care anymore.
just because original fans hated the prequels doesn't mean Star Wars is dead.
Kids ate the prequels, the toys and the Clone Wars up.

Imperial Inquisitors have been a part of the EU for years and years. They're not Sith, just Force-users used by the Empire to hunt down surviving Jedi and other Force-users.

Heaps of people were stoked over Star Wars 1313 not having a force user as the main character.

And from the same threads on 1313, heaps were bitching about the exact opposite. You can't please everyone

Imperial Inquisitors have been a part of the EU for years and years. They're not Sith, just Force-users used by the Empire to hunt down surviving Jedi and other Force-users.

Like Jerec from the Jedi Knight game. And all the other force user Imperials like Mara Jade that fans ate up, yet are now forgetting about and crying about the rule of two.

Jetman

Hidalgo couldn't answer a question about The Inquisitor and his possible relationship to Starkiller from The Force Unleashed.

:/ - Hopefully the reason why he couldn't answer that question is because it's a stupid one and Starkiller isn't canon.

Decado

Hope this is even better than Clone Wars. I haven't seen season 5 yet, but did they do a decent job wrapping it up or is everything just left hanging?

DjRoomba

Banned

Did cartoon shows intended for children based on expanding further prequel material make the original trilogy so popular?

Jetman

Hope this is even better than Clone Wars. I haven't seen season 5 yet, but did they do a decent job wrapping it up or is everything just left hanging?

A lot of stuff left hanging but one of the best moments of the whole series happens towards the end of the Season that you have to watch if you're a Star Wars fan.
Darth Maul and Savage vs. Darth Sidious. Sidious tracks them down as he considers them to be rivals. There can only be one Master and one apprentice!

Interview with Filoni:

Hero Complex: Fans were really disappointed by the cancellation of “Clone Wars.” Will there be any wrapping up of storylines in “Rebels” or are you wiping the story slate clean?

Dave Filoni: The good news is there are several episodes of “Clone Wars” the fans have yet to see. I’ve finalized the remaining episodes and I think they will really please the diehard “Clone Wars” fans, especially the story arc with Master Yoda — that one is critical to the bigger picture. “Star Wars Rebels” will be its own series with its own characters. That’s not to say characters from other “Star Wars” media couldn’t make an appearance in the series, but “Rebels” will be distinctive for its own new characters and relationships.

HC: You’ve talked about how closely George Lucas was involved in the creative process on “Clone Wars.” How has that changed now that he’s sold Lucasfilm to Disney?

DF: George is a one-of-a-kind creator; I did my best over the years I worked with him to digest as much knowledge about how to make a “Star Wars” film as I possibly could. Each episode of “The Clone Wars” was like a test, and I think as we went along my crew and I got better at passing the test. Now there is a group of us that work on things; we all know that one person could never replace George; rather we have a creative council that discusses the ways of the Force.

HC: “Clone Wars” told a story on a very broad canvas with a large number of characters acting as the leads. Will that approach continue with “Rebels” or will there be a core group featured in every episode?

DF: “Rebels” will be different from “The Clone Wars” in a couple ways, and one is the decision to stick with one story and one main group of characters. We wanted fans to get to know the new characters and what they are fighting for. Each episode has its own unique story, while still fitting into the much larger picture of what is going on in the “Star Wars” universe. “Rebels” will tell the story of a group of characters, in this way it is more like the original trilogy which followed Han, Luke and Leia, where the prequels showed us the grand scale and political as well as personal.

HC: Are you operating completely independently from the feature film group or is there some measure of coordination?

DF: There is a large effort at Lucasfilm to make all the stories we are creating relate to one another and find continuity with one another. It’s one of the really exciting developments in this new era.

HC: Is the writing staff for “Rebels” coming from the live action TV drama world?

DF: We have an incredibly talented group of writers working on “Rebels”; some are names you might recognize from working previously on “Star Wars,” and I think we have a nice mix of live action and animation writers. Just looking at the executive producing level, between Simon Kinberg and Greg Wiesman we have two incredibly experienced writers from both live action and animation. Throw in my experience writing and directing with George and I think fans will be really excited when they see the results.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/tv/star-wars-rebels-dave-filoni-reveals-the-inquisitor-talks-up-series-at-nycc/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=57774

Tookay

You don't seem to understand that people love Jedi/Sith, whatever the number and despite what a small contingent of internet fans think.

I love how blatantly the vechicles in this are toys. Not made to BE toys. They're already toys. To the point where the TIE Fighters look like the original toys, and you open the hatch and put your action figure in the cockpit. And of course, the fact one of the vehicles was, previously, a Star Wars toy/carrying case.

I'm not even being facetious: It's great.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So since this set between 3 and 4, does this mean the live action series wont happen?

The Inquisitors should actually make interesting villains.

It's not a new concept in the EU. Dark Jedi and Force Adepts don't break the rule of two.

Have to do something with all the force sensitives in the universe. Might as well make them useful.

Ecotic

I wish they would stop with these interquel series. They often interject stories between the main event movies that were never originally intended to be there and so they have to find a way to make said events vanish before the series ends; lessening the significance of the series in the first place.

When I watched Revenge of the Sith in 2005 I never would have thought the early 20's Anakin Skywalker had previously had an apprentice. The movies' writers probably didn't intend so either. And I didn't think that Anakin had dueled Dooku a few times between Attack of the Clones and RotS. The "my powers have doubled since we last met Count" line really implied they hadn't seen each other since that day on Geonosis.

I'd prefer a new series that continues forward in the timeline. The best Star Wars experience I've had since the original trilogy was the books that dealt with the Solo children. They had more freedom to write their own path forward, and we had characters of significance to read about. By the time the cgi Clone Wars cartoon came around I had really grown indifferent anything set during that time period.

pitt_norton

i just hope this new series maintains the same full and lively detailed animations as clone wars did. it looked great for a tv show.

its funny to see the complaints, same exact ones that came out when Clone Wars was revealed. And that turned out to be a hit with fans and commercially. This show has a heck of a team behind it and a more popular era of the mythology.

Though not a fan of the new art style at all still myself.

I think the art style looks fine. I'm trying to catch up on clone wars. I didn't really like the art style there either, but damn did it move and flow good. Its so smooth.

Cystm

I think I would have liked more of a shake up in the art style too. I Iiked Clone Wars style, but I would like something different after seeing so much of it already.

Still, everything I've seen so far has me thinking that this isn't automatically going to be a train wreck, and as a Star Wars fan recently, that should speak for itself.

I am really interested in seeing how these non-Sith inquisitors are really going to play into the rule of two. If only because, I don't want anymore Starkillers.

The Inquisitors should actually make interesting villains.

It's not a new concept in the EU. Dark Jedi and Force Adepts don't break the rule of two.

Have to do something with all the force sensitives in the universe. Might as well make them useful.

But Imperial officers didn't even believe in the Force in Episode IV, calling it ancient religion.

Nekofrog

Banned
But Imperial officers didn't even believe in the Force in Episode IV, calling it ancient religion.

gotta shoehorn those WHIZBANG SWOOSHY SWOOSH FLIPPY FLIP jedi in somehow to keep the nerdbase interested.

honestly, the best stuff about star wars has absolutely nothing to do with the jedi in terms of EU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom