• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is No.1 in the UK boxed charts. Almost identical launch to Diablo 4

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It doesn't upset me. I am pointing out he is comparing games, which makes it a comparison.
Just read what the tweet says..its says what it says. Could you compare the numbers from this data? Absolutely but that is not what he is doing with this tweet.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
17KXgsp.png
at this point just merge together

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Fair point, It's a comparison of 2023 versus other years, but it's clear that what's upsetting people is that when they look at those numbers they think that it's a comparison between the games he's listed. And that's not what's happening.
The comparison itself is also flawed. Comparing game sales vs. number of players for a game that launched on a subscription service.

At that point, what's stopping from including F2P games and mobile games in that comparison.

feynoob

Banned
The comparison itself is also flawed. Comparing game sales vs. number of players for a game that launched on a subscription service.

At that point, what's stopping from including F2P games and mobile games in that comparison.
Because 1 is free, while the other is pay to play.

Still, the guy is wrong to point that out and Xbox not sharing data doesn't help this situation.

feynoob

Banned
If this game has been on all platforms, you guys would have been arguing which platform sold the most.
At this point, I wonder what type of news does satisfy you guys?

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Starfield must be doing something right creating this much contempt, they do say success breeds it.
Yeah, totally, it must be console-warrior haters, not the flawed stats attached to it. I play on PC, payed my $100 and even like the game, but come on, the disclosure around the game is akin of a burning trash pile with Todd's quotes and Dring's spinning. So far they are doing marvelously by themselves.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

This has been the case for every game sale threads.
Folks have went as far as to argue about a game which had less than 15k physical sales.
Same thing with fps.

Consoles wars never changes
I actually don’t think any game has ever reached this level of concern trolling ever but I’m open to alternatives.

Just looking at sheer numbers the review thread is more than twice as big as TotK and FFXVI combined - not counting all the offshoot threads.

Most review threads are a clogged toilet but the Starfield one is the catastrophic failure of the entire sewage system.

Yeah, totally, it must be console-warrior haters, not the flawed stats attached to it. I play on PC, payed my $100 and even like the game, but come on, the disclosure around the game is akin of a burning trash pile with Todd's quotes and Dring's spinning. So far they are doing marvelously by themselves.
Interpreting something wrong is on you, statistics are what they are nothing flawed about it.

H-I-M

Some weeks ago, we had threads claiming the game wasn’t even being marketed.
And you can go argue with whoever made those threads.

Now it’s “xbox bet everything on Starfield”?

We're talking about the game that got a whole hour special segment at E3.
The same game that's been mentioned in every single interview from Xbox's head Phil Spencer for the past 12 months.

Bonus :

feynoob

Banned
I actually don’t think any game has ever reached this level of concern trolling ever but I’m open to alternatives.

Just looking at sheer numbers the review thread is more than twice as big as TotK and FFXVI combined - not counting all the offshoot threads.

Most review threads are a clogged toilet but the Starfield one is the catastrophic failure of the entire sewage system.
So far, it has been you guy vs them vs trolling vs people who had actual concerning.
It was going to be a dumbster fire, whether it was a good game or bad game.

Three

You don't even need to go that far back to find a better reviewed console exclusive which had countless sales and game quality concern trolling threads. The only difference is that you get a hype thread instead which people discuss the negatives in.

Reactions: GHG

feynoob

Banned
And you can go argue with whoever made those threads.

We're talking about the game that got a whole hour special segment at E3.
The same game that's been mentioned in every single interview from Xbox's head Phil Spencer for the past 12 months.

Bonus :
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/star...-final-estimate-at-400m-and-500-devs.1660457/
But 1 week is not enough data for sales.
You need at least 1 month to 3 month worth of data to reach some conclusion. Main reason why I dont count week 1 sales. I call those early worms.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
You need at least 1 month to 3 month worth of data to reach some conclusion. Main reason why I dont count week 1 sales. I call those early worms.
And you are right. The problem is that MS is very coy with any data about the game's 'tailend' sales. Usually, they published inflated 'players' number after the peak first 1-2 weeks and ran away into the woods.

Starfield, so far, repeats this pattern.

It's so daunting to analyze MS data, especially when every other company and platform holder are sharing hard sales or shipments.

Last edited:
We don't have any NUMBERS (except that 1st place in UK) and Dring is the only guy who's trying to spin something in a very convoluted way. And he is being called out about sales data in a sales thread. The shocker.
It's number one on physical that's it, he didn't make any definite factual statement beyond that, you and others did that on your own.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

You don't even need to go that far back to find a better reviewed console exclusive which had countless sales and game quality concern trolling threads. The only difference is that you get a hype thread instead which people discuss the negatives in.
What does this have to do with the review thread being 110 pages? What other game has that amount? Again I’m comparing with other console exclusives, released within months of Starfield.

So far, it has been you guy vs them vs trolling vs people who had actual concerning.
It was going to be a dumbster fire, whether it was a good game or bad game.
It was going to happen but the scale is unprecedented unless you can think of other examples.

H-I-M

And you are right. The problem is that MS is very coy with any data about the game's 'tailend' sales. Usually, they published inflated 'players' number after the peak first 1-2 weeks and ran away into the woods.

It's so daunting to analyze MS data, especially when every other company and platform holder are sharing hard sales or shipments.

Once we get the NPD hardware numbers, that's when we'll know.
If Xbox is still last, even after releasing their biggest game of the generation, then...

Sanepar

This make me happy about people supporting games with buying option and not subscsription services.

Do we have numbers from Fallout 4 debut in UK?

ulantan

What does this have to do with the review thread being 110 pages? What other game has that amount? Again I’m comparing with other console exclusives, released within months of Starfield.
To be fair that's on Microsoft for not giving the UK review codes so they have to wait for them to come in still. They generated that controversy.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Once we get the NPD hardware numbers, that's when we'll know.
If Xbox is still last, even after releasing their biggest game of the generation, then...
It'd still be a partial picture if it does outsell PS. Consistency is super important when it comes to console sales and market share because a generation can last up to 7-8 years.

For example, Xbox Series outsold PS5 in the US for 3 quarters in a row (Q4 '21, Q1 '22, Q2 '22), because PS5 was supply-constrained. Even those 9 months' worth of data isn't fully indicative of how the market is responding.

Sony has been clearing out stocks for weeks now. They haven't announced/shipped the new model yet. It is possible that Sony didn't deliver new shipments in August (to avoid piling on to the stock that they are trying to clear anyway) in anticipation of the new model in a few weeks. In that case, Xbox will outsell PS5 this month -- but that'd be temporary and not a true representation of market inclination.

feynoob

Banned

The thing with MS is that gamepass is their moto now. Unlike normal sales, gamepass revenue is passive yearly revenue which makes alot of money for them. They dont have to rely on your normal sales to generate revenue.
That model works if you can withstand early hits, which MS did. Right now its 25m and reaping all that benefits.

Sony, Nintendo and other companies cant take that hit. They dont have the financial power to do MS move.

Ah, so this projection about the biggest launch of the year based on the voices in his head was just cute musings and not public statements from an author of GI.biz. Good to know.
Doesn't take Einstein to know a Gamepass title is an unknown even for insiders, but you knew this but continue with your own agenda.

Chukhopops

To be fair that's on Microsoft for not giving the UK review codes so they have to wait for them to come in still. They generated that controversy.
The thread was at 46 pages within one day of creation, long before the delayed reviews. So there has to be another reason but what could it be? Guess we’ll never know.

feynoob

Banned
Because after the honeymoon phase everything will be much, much worse, pricing included. Look at the Spotify and Netflix.

You'll own nothing and be happy.
I mean you are playing the game, that is what matters the most.
Owning a game is meaningless without you playing the game.

As long as people get to play the game, there is nothing wrong with that.

Keep in mind that you have to spend huge amount of money to buy video games. You have to wait 2-4 years for price to become cheaper (10$-25$ price range).

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Why is subscription bad?
Not everyone has 70$ laying around the corner for every gagame.
I hate subscriptions with passion, they ruined mobile and PC apps
And now they are ruining games on consoles
Everything is subscription based, the only one that I pay is PS+ when a new COD releases and just when I play multiplayer

Three

You said you've never seen this level of concern trolling for a game when replying to somebody saying this is the norm in game sales threads. I didn't know you meant in the review thread specifically, especially as the person you replied to mentions how threads go down usually due to console wars.

Regarding the post count in those other threads it's usually because there is some silly controversial topic attached to xbox games that seems to stem from some kind of persecution complex. Like this is probably getting a boost in post count because you think starfield is getting unwarranted levels of concern trolling and we're here discussing it.

It's not really concern trolls boosting the replies it's "the game got a 85 in reviews" being turned into "the media is conspiring to give the game a low score to bring down xbox", "MS didn't give review copies because those reviewers are antixbox" . It's "the steam review score is 73" being turned into "people/sony ponies are buying the game giving it a poor score and then refunding". You're bound to get a lot of discourse with silly controversial topics like that. especially if it pits two factions together rather than just accepting the simple reality of the given score. Usually there is not much else to discuss outside of just giving an opinion about the game where controversies like that don't come up.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Come back when "every game" you want to play is on subscription.
That is still much cheaper.

Day1 cost 70$ these days. If a sub cost 20$, that is 3 subs worth of price.
For 1 month, I can play 3 games on 3 different sub.

Honestly, the value is huge.

feynoob

Banned
I hate subscriptions with passion, they ruined mobile and PC apps
And now they are ruining games on consoles
Everything is subscription based, the only one that I pay is PS+ when a new COD releases and just when I play multiplayer
That is Microtransactions, not subs.
Everyone hates them with passion. They are the worst form of predatory transaction that preys on weak people with addictions.

NEbeast

Who hyped it up though?. People keep saying this and MS built it as its 'saviour' etc, yet in the hype thread people were saying there is no hype for the game and that MS are not even advertising the game and 'dont know what they are doing', literally 2 or 3 days before launch.

As for sales, what is the expectation?. I still wont be surprised if a month from now they announce 10mil sales. A year from now announce 20mil sales, and 30mil sales 5 years form now etc. That was MY expectations.
There is a comment further back where ree were also hyping this game. You cannot be serious saying this game was also not hyped here on gaf. The front page was a shitfest of hype threads. Mods are definitely going to help this game, seeing some great ones already.

Ozzie666

I mean you are playing the game, that is what matters the most.
Owning a game is meaningless without you playing the game.

As long as people get to play the game, there is nothing wrong with that.

Keep in mind that you have to spend huge amount of money to buy video games. You have to wait 2-4 years for price to become cheaper (10$-25$ price range).
That is Microtransactions, not subs.
Everyone hates them with passion. They are the worst form of predatory transaction that preys on weak people with addictions.
I may be a traditionalist or in the minority but subscriptions tend to devalue games and their perceived worth. At least over time anyhow because I feel like I haven’t invested into the game and treat it accordingly.

That 30% price hike from Sony should be a reminder to all how screwed gamers are.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Because after the honeymoon phase everything will be much, much worse, pricing included. Look at the Spotify and Netflix.

You'll own nothing and be happy.
You are (conveniently) ignoring the fact that you can unsubscribe from Game Pass and still buy those games if you decide that potential price hike is just too much for you.

You have no way to access Netflix content outside of subscription though. And basically same can be said about Spotify.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So let me get this straight
A: Game underperformed, because people on gaming forum thought it will have more CCU on Steam?
B: Game underperformed, because two games handed over free keys/had free weekends and because of that they have higher peak CCU on Steam

Brilliant analysis mate. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
Can't wait for more

I like my desi friend Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 but he has been on Starfield's case like his life depended on it :messenger_grinning_sweat:

lol-funny.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom