• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield, my thoughts about early access.

You obviously have no idea the definition of extortion and let me help you with making BG3 available as soon as it was technically ready

Based on what you posted they launched it when it was ready to launch on PS5 and didint gate keep it behind a premium price tag. Why is that so hard to understand?

Edit. So they launched a the premium product before the standard edition? If thats the case i stand corrected, its the same thing.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Based on what you posted they launched it when it was ready to launch on PS5 and didint gat keep it behind a premium price tag. Why is that so hard to understand?
Are you intentionally trying to troll as it clearly states only certain PS5 editions can play now, let me make it even simpler as it says this on their website

Digital Deluxe Edition​

• Baldur's Gate 3 for PlayStation®5
  • 96-hour Early Access
  • Divinity Bard Song Pack
  • Exclusive Dice Theme
  • Treasures from Rivellon Pack
  • Adventurer's Pouch
  • Bonus Digital Content*

So tell me how you get early access without paying the premium then? Or are you FORCED to pay to get access?

you are not forced to pay it, if you WANT (you said it yourself, “wanna”) something you can buy it…that is how buying stuff works

Microsoft is not forcing anyone to pay for something they don’t want, that would be extortion

Are you intentionally trying to troll as it clearly states only certain PS5 editions can play now, let me make it even simpler as it says this on their website

Digital Deluxe Edition​

• Baldur's Gate 3 for PlayStation®5
  • 96-hour Early Access
  • Divinity Bard Song Pack
  • Exclusive Dice Theme
  • Treasures from Rivellon Pack
  • Adventurer's Pouch
  • Bonus Digital Content*
See my edit, i was wrong its the same thing.

I really hope this dosen't become a trend.

Last edited:
you are not forced to pay it, if you WANT (you said it yourself, “wanna”) something you can buy it…that is how buying stuff works

Microsoft is not forcing anyone to pay for something they don’t want, that would be extortion
Yeah but if i bought it i would have to wait unless i paid thier extortion fee.

Kilau

Not sure I understand what you're getting at but I never said anything about withholding a game for any reason

I dunno its close to the same as Marketing Director he says they want everyone to experience the story together but buys BG3 early access edition
I just think it’s not really a gotcha since him paying (maybe) to play early on a game he has no involvement in doesn’t change insomniac’s position. If he had trashed the practice and insulted anyone that did it or supported it, that would be another story.

I don’t like it necessarily but I like how MS handles it with game pass as an optional upgrade and I did it for FH5.

Yeah but if i bought it i would have to wait unless i paid thier extortion fee.

So it’s just an “extortion fee” now, and not extortion any more? Well there’s no extortion fee either because it is still just a price you choose to not pay as with literally any other product. Your next goal post move please?

So it’s just an “extortion fee” now, and not extortion any more? Well there’s no extortion fee either because it is still just a price you choose to not pay as with literally any other product. Your next goal post move please?
Ill agree with you its hyperbolic. But damn if this shit continues holy fuck are we screwed as gamers.

feynoob

Banned
"pay extra money to have the game early, while the rest wait for the actual release date".
This trend is gaining attention among devs. They know consumers have no self control.
Soon, it will be 1week, then 2 weeks in order to maximize the sales.
It's horse dlc all over again.

It's like paying battle passes, then paying the level up passes in order to skip the grind.
We already there with 2k 24.
sddefault.jpg

Early Access can clearly be a real thing, as seen with plenty of other games, where sometimes you even get a discount for early adopting and contributing to the beta process.... 5 days early access edition from the biggest companies in the world that carry a price premium for good measure? Exploitative trash.

Bkdk

After playing for 2 days. Only redeeming factor for this game is console commands and mods. Might still be my favorite game of the year depending on what the mods can do.

simpatico

I'll take paid early access way over microtransactions. This is one of the least scummy money grabs I can think of for a SP game.

Corian33

Everyone talking about the early access bonus, but you do also get the first expansion. Those are usually decent to great with these games.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
First of all, english is not my native language so be gentle ;)

I just want to say that i think this business model is disgusting, but it can be done because we actually spend our money on these type of deals.

The game releases on wednesday 6/9 on gamepass, but today friday its possible to pay 35€ for the premium edition, that gives access to an upcoming expansion and some cosmetics, the game is not included.

Ofcourse, its friday, most people are free over the weekend and want to play the game, and if you don't keep subscribing to gamepass; you will have the cosmetics and expansion but not a game to play, so you have to buy the game. I know, all of you know this but i just want to write it because i thinks its so dirty business, not judging anyone, to each to its own etc. This is just so well thought ought to cash in, these days when most gamerelated things just keeps getting more expensive i think the best thing we can do is to vote with our wallets.

But so many complains over microtransactions, expensive subscriptions etc, when we pay for this, its a couple of days before its "real" release, and next weekend we can play it "free" if we have gamepass.

And no, i am not poor xD maybe because of what i just wrote.

Happy gaming everyone, i hope you are enjoying your early access, see you on wednesday!
Welcome to stealth price increases for games. Real release day pushed back a week to push people to pre-order the more premium edition. Talk about adding value without doing anything more than allowing you to pay more for it :D.

clarky

Gold Member
This has been kinda happening unofficially for years, I'm surprised it took the pub's this long to catch on.

You want to play any new game at launch to pay a premium vs in most cases waiting a month to buy it on a deep sale.

Same shit different toilet.

To be clear im not for this practice but it will become the norm. I did it for Starfield as I'm busy this coming weekend, but had playtime available so it suited me.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ll gladly pay $31 for early access, DLC, and cosmetics.

My wife and kids were gone Friday night to Sunday morning. I got to go balls deep in the game without a single worry.

Amazing $31 spent.

Beechos

Ms has got me with their current model and it works for me. I never in my life had bought season passes prior to game pass. So far I've bought the 2 forza horizon ones and wouldve bought starfield if I wasn't on vacay along with a bunch of ubisoft and capcom ones. To me it's like instead of paying $60 for just the base game. I now pay like 20-30 for the season pass and buy the base game when it's on sale for like 10-20. So about $60-70 I'm getting the goty edition day one.

i just think it's hilarious that people paid 35 american dollars to play what ended up being an 86 (and dropping) metacritic game a few days early lmao

microsoft is out here pimp smack backhanding these thirsty nerds. "you wanna hit of this juicy juicy a few days early? give daddy his money"

twilo99

They can give that game a score of 65 and it won't change a thing...

It provides top tier entertainment.. it doesn't really get much better than this when it comes to video games.

Trilobit

Can someone explain what you feel when you play this? I've learned that it's a pretty grounded space adventure with no aliens and fantastical stuff. But I can't wrap my head around what the atmosphere is like.

Star Citizen seems like a space simulator. No Man's Sky is sort of a magical realism style with more emphasis on magical. Mass Effect has attractive women and an epic storyline with great characters. But what sets Starfield out from the rest? I have not played any of these games, I'm only going by what I've learned through osmosis.

Ozriel

M$FT
i just think it's hilarious that people paid 35 american dollars to play what ended up being an 86 (and dropping) metacritic game a few days early lmao

microsoft is out here pimp smack backhanding these thirsty nerds. "you wanna hit of this juicy juicy a few days early? give daddy his money"

I think it’s actually hilarious that you’re attempting to make fun of game enthusiasts who are actually playing a game they really wanted to play…while you’re stuck making salty comments on GAF.

Pop

I'll take paid early access way over microtransactions. This is one of the least scummy money grabs I can think of for a SP game.
You don't own the game though. You need to keep up GP to play

Now if you like gamepass, I guess it might be worth it

In Spiderman 2's case though, I can understand why they wouldn't want some people to have a week's head start. Going by their previous Spiderman game, I assume the main story and all side quests can be completed in ~40 hours which is very doable in one week for a "hardcore" gamer.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The time to complain about this came and went a long time ago, as players accepted it.

Starfield’s not the first to do this and surely won’t be the last.

I dont get how you guys see this as a new thing. As far as back Deus Ex: Human Revolution, pre-ordering a game gives 5 days early access. Forza Horizon 5 and Battlefield 2049 did the same for preordering deluxe versions. Why is everyone talking aboyt this only now when Starfield came out?

Fabieter

I dont get how you guys see this as a new thing. As far as back Deus Ex: Human Revolution, pre-ordering a game gives 5 days early access. Forza Horizon 5 and Battlefield 2049 did the same for preordering deluxe versions. Why is everyone talking aboyt this only now when Starfield came out?

Well me thinks its a little bit of extra spicey if a company promise you day one games on a sub but delays the access on said sub and ask more money for actual day one access. And psychology you already paid for gamepass so it's not as bad to pay 30 bucks for the most expensive version but it is. Look this is really smart on a business level but it's the definition of cooperation greed.

Ozriel

M$FT
Technically multi-trillion $ company, but the sentiment is right. ;) Customers stanning for giant Corpos always floored me.

The people who are paying for the premium edition are giant corporations?

Because that’s who he’s attacking in his post.

Well me thinks its a little bit of extra spicey if a company promise you day one games on a sub but delays the access on said sub and ask more money for actual day one access. And psychology you already paid for gamepass so it's not as bad to pay 30 bucks for the most expensive version but it is. Look this is really smart on a business level but it's the definition of cooperation greed.

This argument has never really worked.
Gamepass owners know their subscription covers the base version of games. No paid DLC, no expansions. You get the exact same game as someone who’s paid $70 for the game at retail, on the exact same day.

Fabieter

The people who are paying for the premium edition are giant corporations?

Because that’s who he’s attacking in his post.

This argument has never really worked.
Gamepass owners know their subscription covers the base version of games. No paid DLC, no expansions. You get the exact same game as someone who’s paid $70 for the game at retail, on the exact same day.

The premise of gamepass is getting games day one which is arguably not true for some of the games.

I think it’s actually hilarious that you’re attempting to make fun of game enthusiasts who are actually playing a game they really wanted to play…while you’re stuck making salty comments on GAF.
WE ALL WANT TO PLAY. That’s the whole complaint here. The games are ready. They are digitally published. There is literally nothing stopping us from being able to play other than their marketing and accounting departments.

Imagine you have a basketball court in your neighbourhood that requires a membership. You pay the membership, but they demand an additional fee equal to half the membership cost just to play on the weekend. It’s a capitalists wet dream, but a nightmare for the rest of us.

People who paid for first class get to board the starship first. People who paid for economy have to wait and hope they don't have to check their carryon.
Flight still leaves and arrives the same time for everyone...

Firstclass is the equivalent to the the tinkets and doodads you get with the premium ed.

Puscifer

Any artificial value is scam designed to dry consumers their money.
There is no need to do 5 day early access, yet here we are.
This is the same thing that people defended for mtx. People said that it offered value and now look at where we are now.
All we are doing is give companies a reason to charge us more money.
Right now, it's MS that is charging this. Next time it will be EA, Sony, Activision and other industries.
Honestly this isn't a huge deal, there's been attempts at doing this in the past but people threw fits. Remember the infamous "augment your pre order" incident with the last deus ex game?

It's an incentive for purchasing the deluxe editions of games which admittedly are already too damn expensive for digital nonsense with no real physical goodies. Might as well give people something tangible even if that means just letting them play a few days early.

Honestly this isn't a huge deal, there's been attempts at doing this in the past but people threw fits. Remember the infamous "augment your pre order" incident with the last deus ex game?

It's an incentive for purchasing the deluxe editions of games which admittedly are already too damn expensive for digital nonsense with no real physical goodies. Might as well give people something tangible even if that means just letting them play a few days early.
Thats where it starts.

Next it will by 100 for 30 days early

50 for 15 days early and 25 for 5 days early.

In reality you're not paying to get the game early.

You are getting the game late for not paying.

Last edited:
Top Bottom