• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield, my thoughts about early access.

I never preordered a game or ordered a premium version. Its release day and I get it. I can understand a child crying for its toy before the birthday but a grown ass man with a job to come on a forum and complain how its not him, its the company thats making him spend more money for no reason, that next level stupidity. If you consider gaming as crack you might as well admit addiction and maybe its time to deal with the problem instead of impulse buying and blaming others how they made you spend money lol. Nowadays nobody wants to take responsibility, its always someone elses fault....poor you, that credit card just magically flew out your wallet and grew arms and legs and put in its own detail and an ORDER button :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I dont have the game lmao. Its just hilarious seeing people defend shitty corporate greed.

Question one. Was the game available prior to the official launch date? Yes

Question two. Was the game intentionally withheld form its target audience for an opportunity to extort extra money? Yes

If it was rdy during the prerelease time frame why not make it available to everyone?

If the extra edition was so great it would sell on its own merit.

there's nothing to elaborate, comparing crack addicts and people paying a little extra to play Starfield a little early is stupid
Extreme for effect but the premise is synonymous.

Why defend a corporation (drug dealer) for extortion (making money at the expense) of a gamers fomo (crack)

Do you know what a metaphor is? I explained how they are similar in premise. If you dont understand why then thats a you problem not a me problem.

Microsoft offering early access for Starfield is nothing like a drug dealer, what Microsoft is doing is not extortion and FOMO is not any equivalent to being addicted to crack

you needed a "metaphor", but really it's an analogy, to bolster your weak argument that boils down to you just not liking what Microsoft are doing...and you defaulted to hard drug addiction because simply saying "I don't like it" is lame and you couldn't think of any better reasoning

Microsoft offering early access for Starfield is nothing like a drug dealer, what Microsoft is doing is not extortion and FOMO is not any equivalent to being addicted to crack

you needed a "metaphor", but really it's an analogy, to bolster your weak argument that boils down to you just not liking what Microsoft are doing...and you defaulted to hard drug addiction because simply saying "I don't like it" is lame and you couldn't think of any better reasoning
Its an analogy that contains a metaphor....

You dont agree with my opinion so im "retarded" and "stupid"

Checks out.
This isnt getting anywhere and is diluting the thread. If you wanna continue via DM feel free. Otherwise agree to disagree

Its an analogy that contains a metaphor....

You dont agree with my opinion so im "retarded" and "stupid"

Checks out.
This isnt getting anywhere and is diluting the thread. If you wanna continue via DM feel free. Otherwise agree to disagree

I never called you retarded or stupid, but that does explain to me that you're not actually reading before replying

Last edited:

Osthyvel

How is this an “easy choice”? We literally know nothing about the content, scope, release date, or asking price of any DLC. We know nothing about it, but paying $30 for it is an “easy choice”?

No wonder we are getting fucked over by these publishers.

Yeah, this.

Todd; here is the first dlc included in the premium edition; one new cave to explore, one purple hat and 2 stickers for your guns, and we are happy to announce the seasonpass for 149$ that will give you 2 upcoming storydlc, preorder now to get the unique pink bandana.

Edit; sorry there seems to be some sort of space Story included, probably one mission or two extra 😁

Last edited:
FOMO Access™
bjhoq0nkrklb1.jpg

Chukhopops

Yeah, this.

Todd; here is the first dlc included in the premium edition; one new cave to explore, one purple hat and 2 stickers for your guns, and we are happy to announce the seasonpass for 149$ that will give you 2 upcoming storydlc, preorder now to get the unique pink bandana.
Yeah cause this has happened in the past obviously… It’s not like all previous Bethesda games had excellent story expansions/DLCs even going back to Tribunal 20 years ago.

Feel free not to buy it but pretending nobody knows what to expect out of a story DLC is kinda pushing it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Actual footage of everyone incapable of waiting 5 days to play a videogame
Angry Cameron Diaz GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
That sure wasn't me and in fact in this thread alone it seems the only ones acting like this are the ones against the practice and can't get people like me to agree with you

How is this an “easy choice”? We literally know nothing about the content, scope, release date, or asking price of any DLC. We know nothing about it, but paying $30 for it is an “easy choice”?

Its an easy choice because its highly likely I will be playing this game for the long haul and I got to play early for probably my most anticipated title in years

No brainer for me

Its an easy choice because its highly likely I will be playing this game for the long haul and I got to play early for probably my most anticipated title in years

No brainer for me

Consider this: if people didn’t give in to this predatory sales tactic, Microsoft would simply release the game for everyone at the same time.

This isn’t “early access” in the traditional sense (publisher needing early funds or developer still working on the game). This is 100% psychological predation.

Last edited:

twilo99

Considering what they’ve done with the main game, I think we are in good hands.

Elysium44

Banned
The worst thing about early access is that the game can't be reviewed by players yet, which is a form of market manipulation by the publisher. Normally if a game has flaws then players can warn other potential buyers immediately so they can make an informed purchasing decision. Arguably the authorities should look at it.

(I know, probably sounds silly but think about it. Imagine if a game had its official release but publishers forced Valve and Metacritic not to allow user reviews for five days? How would that look? It's de facto what they are doing, except they're being cute about it by saying oh you can review it on 'day one', just 'day one' begins five days after the actual de facto release. Sure.)

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
The worst thing about early access is that the game can't be reviewed by players yet, which is a form of market manipulation by the publisher. Normally if a game has flaws then players can warn other potential buyers immediately so they can make an informed purchasing decision. Arguably the authorities should look at it.

(I know, probably sounds silly but think about it. Imagine if a game had its official release but publishers forced Valve and Metacritic not to allow user reviews for five days? How would that look? It's de facto what they are doing, except they're being cute about it by saying oh you can review it on 'day one', just 'day one' begins five days after the actual de facto release. Sure.)

But how would players be able to review it before the launch date if there was no early access?

Arguably the authorities should look at it.

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
But how would players be able to review it before the launch date if there was no early access?

They would be able to review it on the day it is released which is better than waiting five days. Seems obvious that would be better, no?

You can laugh all you want but it is a deceptive and predatory sales tactic to charge for 'early access' while falsely claiming the game is 'day one' on game pass. At best it's highly disingenuous and misleading, at worst it's lying and yes there are consumer laws against this sort of thing.

Ozriel

M$FT
They would be able to review it on the day it is released which is better than waiting five days. Seems obvious that would be better, no?

So all the reviews on YouTube and Twitch streams don’t matter? Professional reviews don’t matter too?

You can laugh all you want but it is a deceptive and predatory sales tactic to charge for 'early access' while falsely claiming the game is 'day one' on game pass.

You keep using words without knowing the meaning. What’s ‘predatory’ about early access strategies ?

It’s sold in stores the exact same day it gets on Gamepass. That’s literally the day your Amazon order gets delivered or the day you can walk into Best Buy and pick the game up.

Might as well demand players get the game the same time it goes out to reviewers or else it’s ‘scammy’.

At best it's highly disingenuous and misleading, at worst it's lying and yes there are consumer laws against this sort of thing.

So what happens to the games that aren’t on GamePass and have early access programs too? like Mortal Kombat, BG3, Hogwarts Legacy, Call of Duty etc?

What's even crazier is pirates have access to it already while most people just have to wait. Not a fan of this trend, but I see why they do it because people gobble it up.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
So what is the worst case scenario? I just want to prepare myself.
Worst case scenario: You'll like to play the game in the future, but have to pay sub for a month - after another year you'd like to play it again and after 5 years you'd like to play it again. Now let's say you have 1 or 2 more games you have bought DLC for and you have to pay sub for a month everytime you'll like to play them. These games would cost you a hell lot more than retail price.

But I guess if you see GamePass as a lifetime subscription, you're in the clear lol

Corian33

Jokes on them, I ordered a RTX 4070 partly with this game in mind, but it won’t be here until Monday so no point in paying for early access.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You cant see the difference in withholding a game for extortion vs withholding a game because of technical limitations?
Not sure I understand what you're getting at but I never said anything about withholding a game for any reason
Animated GIF

Ain’t the same tho lol
I dunno its close to the same as Marketing Director he says they want everyone to experience the story together but buys BG3 early access edition

Not sure I understand what you're getting at but I never said anything about withholding a game for any reason

I dunno its close to the same as Marketing Director he says they want everyone to experience the story together but buys BG3 early access edition
Starfiled was made available when technically ready for everbody only to those willing to pay more (extortion)

BG3 was made available to every system soon as it was technically ready for release on said system.

My question to you, you dont see the difference and how that applies to your view of the Insomniac developer?

Starfiled was made available when technically ready for everbody only to those willing to pay more (extortion)

no that’s not extortion, they are not obtaining it illegally, by force nor threats…you obviously either don’t know what the word means or you’re using it hyperbolically and inaccurately only to elicit an emotional response

Dibils2k

honestly i paid the £35 because early access allowed me to play over the weekend, its too much of a incentive if paying extra isnt a big issue to you

if game was out friday and the early access gave it to you on monday i would not have paid

no that’s not extortion, they are not obtaining it illegally, by force nor threats…you obviously either don’t know what the word means or you’re using it hyperbolically and inaccurately only to elicit an emotional response
Extortion: the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.

MS/Bethesda are obtaining money by forcing you to pay for early access.

Granted you could wait. But if you wanna olay on day one like everyone else you are forced to pay thier premium.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

BG3 was made available to every system soon as it was technically ready for release on said system.

My question to you, you dont see the difference and how that applies to your view of the Insomniac developer?
You obviously have no idea the definition of extortion and let me help you with making BG3 available as soon as it was technically ready

Top Bottom