• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield, my thoughts about early access.

bender

What time is it?
Yes. That's what a lot of us are doing.

And it comes with access to the first story expansion, so your money is being well spent, and not just to play the game 5 days early.

giphy.gif

It's scam, because there is no need for early 5 days.
I could tolerate the dlc and other extra content as those offer more value, but paying early access is pure scam.
Do you know what the definition of a scam is? A scam is when you pay money for whatever is guaranteed and then you don't get the product or the service that was described. This is not a scam. It would be a scam only if you paid the money and the game didn't unlock until a later date, then it would be a scam.

Also, did you know that it's just an option? And did you know no one is holding a gun over your head to purchase this option? Crazy concept, I know.

People who fly on private jets and able to afford it and you can't, does it mean that private jets are a scam too? Jesus christ lol.

The world and life is not created equal. Learn to live with it.

Last edited:
You would hope they would at least be self-aware enough to stop the whole "Day one on gamepass" stuff, which really means day 5 or 6 depending on if you want to pay twice or not.

Kind of like game pass on Day 1?
Nice try on trying to pull off a smart ass "gotcha" moment but I give you an A for effort and F for execution. Is It really that hard for you to understand in plain English that Day 1 and Early Access are two completely different things? It would only be a scam if Game Pass guaranteed you Early Acess (which it doesn't). Try again, maybe you'll find a way.

devilNprada

Nice try on trying to pull off a smart ass "gotcha" moment but I give you an A for effort and F for execution. Is It really that hard for you to understand in plain English that Day 1 and Early Access are two completely different things? It would only be a scam if Game Pass guaranteed you Early Acess (which it doesn't). Try again, maybe you'll find a way.
LOL.. You don't need to justify marketing bullshit to me... I might even buy your early access argument if you could even spell it?

bender

What time is it?
Kind of like game pass on Day 1?

Game Pass offers the base versions of first party games so that edition of the game will launch and be available on Game Pass at the same time. The same thing happened with FH5. And I'm no fan of early access.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
yeah it's disgusting.
Normal customers who buy a standard version have to wait over rich folk

skit_data

It is kind of sketchy but as long as people keep buying it I don't see any change happening.
Maybe if gaming media really started putting it in the spotlight but then again most gaming media are busy doing everything except actual journalism

I haven’t really been following Starfield, but I was in the mood to try a new game and realized it was a holiday weekend. The perfect time to play a new RPG. I go to Steam and see that, despite the fact thousands of people are currently playing the game and today is the “launch day”, I am not permitted to buy or play the game.

It instantly deflated my interest. I would have been a consumer paying full MSRP for a digital game on launch day. I would have been telling my friends and family about it. Instead, I am given the middle finger and told to fuck off.

people who spent 70$ still spent 70$.
Yet they are looked as lower class because it's not a premium edition.
What about people who buy business class airplane tickets versus economy? Are they looked at as lower class too?

It' almost like average, middle class, high class exists as a hierarchy.... in real life... have you tried going to a Ferrari car dealer and telling them that you are being treated as a lower clsss because they won't sell you their Ferrari for pennies and that you are being discriminated? You should sue.

Did you yell at the traveling agent lady on the phone when she couldn't sell you business class airplane tickets because you couldn't afford it?

Last edited:

damidu

let the fomo fools finance gamepass, the service wont have much of a future without these nickel and diming schemes.
next in line forza deluxe 5 days early edition

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
What about people who buy business class airplane tickets versus economy? Are they looked at as lower class too?

It' almost like average, middle class, high class exists as a hierarchy.... in real life... have you tried going to a Ferrari car dealer and telling them that you are being treated as a lower clsss because they won't sell you their Ferrari for pennies and that you are being discriminated? You should sue.

Did you yell at the traveling agent lady on the phone when she couldn't sell you business class airplane tickets because you couldn't afford it?

My travel agent is a man.

giphy.gif

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I am playing video games to get out of "the hierarchy".
This is not something we have to tolerate.
My 60$ is the same as someone elses 90$. the game is the same, I just don't want useless dlc.

What's happening is disgusting

sendit

I played for 5h, but I am a bit underwhelmed. It's not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but in no way anything new. It's just Skyrim/Fallout in space with a lot of empty space ("planets"). I prefer a smaller map that is denser with content.
Yep. I’m 10 hours in, there is nothing ground breaking here.

Constant immersion breaking load screens are annoying.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
people who spent 70$ still spent 70$.
Yet they are looked as lower class because it's not a premium edition.
Trust me I don't look at anybody as lower class because they spend $70 on a game or even those who do not want to spend for first class plane tickets

Sleepwalker

The funny part is that the game is currently open for the premium edition buyers and the pirates, but not the regular customers. I don't care about waiting at all (in fact I have less time to play on the weekends) Just a funny circumstance is all.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The funny part is that the game is currently open for the premium edition buyers and the pirates, but not the regular customers. I don't care about waiting at all (in fact I have less time to play on the weekends) Just a funny circumstance is all.
Exactly. Pirates get it but not paying customers. That’s a slap in the face.

Gambit2483

Are those layouts unique per player?
Mostly yes, hence procedural generation. Although you will find a few (or more) instances of copy-paste jobs with some aspects on the planets.

Think Mass Effect, where there were like 3-4 different mining camps and outposts layouts that you would constantly see repeating themselves.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Personally, I'm not a fan, and I hope it doesn't become a trend now that D4 and Starfield have done it.

For me, locking the game for longer for people who didn't pay up more feels kinda scummy to me.

damidu

Personally, I'm not a fan, and I hope it doesn't become a trend now that D4 and Starfield have done it.

For me, locking the game for longer for people who didn't pay up more feels kinda scummy to me.
new forza already doing it, expect it to see in all microsoft 1st party going forward,
its a way to blunt the financial hit of these "day and date" gamepass releases

Bkdk

With the way how starfield handle their space part, I think modders could easily make the same thing in fallout 4 within a few months

Ishma3L

First of all, english is not my native language so be gentle ;)

I just want to say that i think this business model is disgusting, but it can be done because we actually spend our money on these type of deals.

The game releases on wednesday 6/9 on gamepass, but today friday its possible to pay 35€ for the premium edition, that gives access to an upcoming expansion and some cosmetics, the game is not included.

Ofcourse, its friday, most people are free over the weekend and want to play the game, and if you don't keep subscribing to gamepass; you will have the cosmetics and expansion but not a game to play, so you have to buy the game. I know, all of you know this but i just want to write it because i thinks its so dirty business, not judging anyone, to each to its own etc. This is just so well thought ought to cash in, these days when most gamerelated things just keeps getting more expensive i think the best thing we can do is to vote with our wallets.

But so many complains over microtransactions, expensive subscriptions etc, when we pay for this, its a couple of days before its "real" release, and next weekend we can play it "free" if we have gamepass.

And no, i am not poor xD maybe because of what i just wrote.

Happy gaming everyone, i hope you are enjoying your early access, see you on wednesday!
Fe0hoVm.png

Ozzie666

Nothing more than Microsoft using tried and true predatory techniques to squeeze some extra revenue ontop of the game pass subsription. It's become so common place, it's ridiculous. Diablo 4 was no different with the head start. I'm not a fan, I know what they are doing, but sometimes you just want to play because you've got free time.

That calculated early release just before a weekend starts is not a coincidence. It's such a technical science to manipulate people, and it works.

I guess you could argue you get a DLC with it, but even still. At least your not doing free beta testing with this release.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Yes. That's what a lot of us are doing.

And it comes with access to the first story expansion, so your money is being well spent, and not just to play the game 5 days early.
Thanks I easily got a refund for the $99 edition and just spent the $31: great game so far and have to say if you have a Steam Deck there’s an app called XbPlay and streaming so far has been flawless.

I don't understand why you keep blaming developers for stuff like this. Blame the 100,000s of people that do pay for this. Developers just gave you an option, if they saw nobody is buying they would pull the plug. Just goes to show how easy it is to lure people to pay. Dont blame the developer, blame yourself.

BlackTron

If you already have Game pass, and have the opportunity to try the game "for free" to evaulate the it before spending a penny on anything. And spend 35 bucks just to get it 5 days early, and a bunch of stuff you don't even know if you want yet. What are you thinking.

But that's the customers issue not the publisher. If you want to send them money it's their job to take it. As usual I blame the simps

noise36

It's a case study in why MS is last in the console wars.

Pirates are playing the game for free on PC while those who paid for regular edition or game pass can't play it yet.

Great for gamers , not good for console sales or profits.

Some do what they want, others do what they can.

Disclaimer: I would never pay additional money to play a game early when it's coming out for gamepass several days later.

That is, quite literally, the point of gamepass. Pay one price to play the games.

RPS37

I am playing video games to get out of "the hierarchy".
This is not something we have to tolerate.
My 60$ is the same as someone elses 90$. the game is the same, I just don't want useless dlc.

What's happening is disgusting
Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

X-Wing

It's a sad strategy and it is sad that people fall for it. The release date was September the 1st - the final version of the game was made available.
The 6th is a delayed release date just to monetize on fear of missing out and to try to make up some of the money they lose with the Game Pass model.

Osthyvel

Each individual consumer decides what value is to them. I purchased the Premium Edition of Starfield because I wanted to binge play it during my 3-day Labor Day weekend. You don't think it worth it, so don't buy it and wait for the standard release date. I don't understand this concern for my money.

The thing is i am not concern about your money, but my money. People can't think one step ahead. This isn't just about your money or early access just for Starfield, its about a greedy and filthy business model.

Its a choice, i know, but as people keep paying for this, we will see more and more greedy things, and that... that is your and others that pay for these kind of shit faults because you are telling them that they can keep doing this kind of shit. And in the end it will affect my wallet.

Is it THAT hard to understand? If no one bought this shit.... then we all would have a real day1.

Edit; what i wanted with this tread was a discussion, so keep it going. I saw a lookalike tread at the other wizard forum after this tread, so hey, if you read here, please leave that purple wokeshit and GET OVER HERE!

Last edited:
The thing is i am not concern about your money, but my money. People can't think one step ahead. This isn't just about your money or early access just for Starfield, its about a greedy and filthy business model.

Its a choice, i know, but as people keep paying for this, we will see more and more greedy things, and that... that is your and others that pay for these kind of shit faults because you are telling them that they can keep doing this kind of shit. And in the end it will affect my wallet.

Is it THAT hard to understand? If no one bought this shit.... then we all would have a real day1.

Edit; what i wanted with this tread was a discussion, so keep it going. I saw a lookalike tread at the other wizard forum after this tread, so hey, if you read here, please leave that purple wokeshit and GET OVER HERE!

other people that buy things don’t owe you anything

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

In response while I am a little concerned about what Pandoras Box we may be opening here as much as you aren’t concerned about my money I am not concerned about your money

It may be a greedy tactic but it’s one that is working and while I don’t know Starfield numbers yet I do know at least 1 million people bought the early access for Forza Horizon 5 this last game because the leader boards showed over 1 million playing before official release.

Its a tactic that is working and sadly people coming to forums calling people like me whales or simps is not going to change how I spend my money because playing 5 days early and getting the first DLC for $30 is an easy choice for me for DLC I would likely buy anyhow

tr1p1ex

MSFT subsidizes Gamepass so you can't expect to get all these big games for no extra cost with all the same perks as those buying it outright.

Early access never really bugged me. I mean, at the end of the day, they need to make money on their game and charging people to access the game a bit early seems like a fair way to do it. And not really any different than waiting 6-12 months and getting the game for half price.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you keep blaming developers for stuff like this. Blame the 100,000s of people that do pay for this. Developers just gave you an option, if they saw nobody is buying they would pull the plug. Just goes to show how easy it is to lure people to pay. Dont blame the developer, blame yourself.
Yeah why blame the drug dealers?! If those crack heads would just stop buying crack...

Yeah why blame the drug dealers?! If those crack heads would just stop buying crack...

I never preordered a game or ordered a premium version. Its release day and I get it. I can understand a child crying for its toy before the birthday but a grown ass man with a job to come on a forum and complain how its not him, its the company thats making him spend more money for no reason, that next level stupidity. If you consider gaming as crack you might as well admit addiction and maybe its time to deal with the problem instead of impulse buying and blaming others how they made you spend money lol. Nowadays nobody wants to take responsibility, its always someone elses fault....poor you, that credit card just magically flew out your wallet and grew arms and legs and put in its own detail and an ORDER button :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom