• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield - Official Gameplay Trailer Reveal (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samrf89

Why can't you expect a studio to get better? They only have to focus on less platforms now. We should see less bugs. They have Microsoft financial backing and support, so we should hopefully NOT see a repeat of prior mistakes with some of their other games.

There's nothing wrong with expecting studios to get better with time.
i've been wowed before numerous times in bethesda games. when you first enter the open world in oblivion, looking up at the night sky full of stars in skyrim. you don't need incredible ultra-realistic graphics to be floored by a game, you need memorable moments. i have no idea why people think graphics > artistic vision, but it's the complete opposite. bethesda games have always been about nailing a singular artistic vision in an uncompromising manner, and this looks absolutely no different.

my point is, complaining about visuals in a bethesda game is ridiculous and it honestly makes me think most of the people in here have never played a game of theirs. i mean for god sakes, bethesda's weird glitches/visuals is so well-known by now that it's part of their identity/charm/character/whatever.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
i've been wowed before numerous times in bethesda games. when you first enter the open world in oblivion, looking up at the night sky full of stars in skyrim. you don't need incredible ultra-realistic graphics to be floored by a game, you need memorable moments. i have no idea why people think graphics > artistic vision, but it's the complete opposite. bethesda games have always been about nailing a singular artistic vision in an uncompromising manner, and this looks absolutely no different.

my point is, complaining about visuals in a bethesda game (which by the way, the visuals in this game are good so what the fuck lol) is ridiculous and it honestly makes me think most of the people in here have never played a game of theirs.

For its time, Oblivion was very impressive. So was Skyrim.

But by the time Fallout 4 released, their tech seemed ancient compared to peers. And now they are falling even further behind with Starfield. They used to be fairly cutting edge but something has prevented them from meaningfully raising the bar like they used to.

As I said - the game looks good. You can have games that technically look underwhelming but overall still look appealing due to art style or what have you.

Last edited:
Compared to how HFW looks at 4K HDR, especially after the latest patch, what they showed of Starfield looked like a pile of poo -- and that was using the most optimal conditions possible in order to build the gameplay trailer. It's going to need at least another full year in the oven for visual polishing alone.

HFW is like one planet of the Starfield.

They will have to make over 1000 games to complete with this one.

Rambone

I liked what I saw. I wasn't really expecting more than a solar system so the 1000+ planets that are fully explorable was a pleasant surprise. While I am sure the vast majority of them will probably be lifeless balls of dust and rock, they looked more interesting than anything I've seen in Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen for now. I just hope they can pull off a more modern No Mans Sky on a smaller scale but leaning more towards a Star Citizen like experience.

Samrf89

For its time, Oblivion was very impression. So was Skyrim.

But by the time Fallout 4 released, their tech seemed ancient compared to peers. And now they are falling even further behind with Starfield. They used to be fairly cutting edge but something has prevented them from meaningfully raising the bar like they used to.

As I said - the game looks good. You can have games that technically look underwhelming but overall still look appealing due to art style or what have you.
yeah i mean i would agree with this. but it's so nitpicky. who the hell plays bethesda games for its graphics? are the quests/sidequests/characters good? the worldbuilding? lore/story? the rpg elements? the classic bethesda charm? these are the important factors in deciding if starfield is going to be great. not fucking engine tech lol

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am hopeful that this game will be 4K30. No reason it shouldn't be since there's nothing I see that's really next-gen about it. I think the game has great art style, so in that sense it is a looker. But it just doesn't strike me as anything next-gen technically. It looks worse than some cross-gen games that run at or near 4K30.

No excuses really, just because this is the best they could do technically doesn't mean we shouldn't try and expect better in general. And I'm hopeful we'll get there at launch, but 30 fps with stuttering and a 1440p resolution would be a massive disappointment.
If it's 4k 30 fps then 1440p 60 fps should be pretty much doable. I dont know how to pixel count, but the framerate drops hint that the res being lower than native 4k because otherwise they wouldve just reduced the resolution to eliminate frame drops from the demo.

We will see. This is a Bethesda game after all. I think it looks striking in some parts, ordinary in others, but you have to remember, this is a massive world and its running on a god awful creation engine.

Gee, what a totally rational, not-at-all incendiary response.

Compared to how HFW looks at 4K HDR, especially after the latest patch, what they showed of Starfield looked like a pile of poo -- and that was using the most optimal conditions possible in order to build the gameplay trailer. It's going to need at least another full year in the oven for visual polishing alone.
I have HFW, this looked on par to me for the most part - different styles but it looked good enough - am I blind

my point is, complaining about visuals in a bethesda game is ridiculous and it honestly makes me think most of the people in here have never played a game of theirs. i mean for god sakes, bethesda's weird glitches/visuals is so well-known by now that it's part of their identity/charm/character/whatever.

Here is the most amazing part about this whole thing. People must not be watching this on their 4K televisions or doing what I'm doing and watching it on my LG C1, but this game is graphically TOP NOTCH. It's on par with Cyberpunk 2077, if not slight better because of the artistic variety. This game is a visual stunner. I don't think people can say any longer that Bethesda makes ugly games cause this one ain't ugly. I personally never felt their games were ugly if I'm being honest cause they have some of the best damn artists in the entire damn industry. What they do with skies, environments, outdoors, indoors is nothing short of spectacular.

I encourage people to watch this on an LG OLED or a high end 4K TV. It looks graphically stunning. This isn't an average or bad looking game. I pray it looks this good upon release.

yeah i mean i would agree with this. but it's so nitpicky. who the hell plays bethesda games for its graphics? are the quests/sidequests/characters good? the worldbuilding? lore/story? the rpg elements? the classic bethesda charm? these are the important factors in deciding if starfield is going to be great. not fucking engine tech lol
Skyrim did not look great when it came out - oblivion was the best looking one and even that wasn’t some crazy good looking game on release

KXVXII9X

Im looking to DF breakdown, they will identify the good and the bad.
But from my observations

+Character outfit geometry is high, there spacesuits are detailed, with air pipes, and different layers to the spacesuits, materials look realistic with appropriate roughness or reflectivity to light
+Starship and building interiors while not doing anything new are of a high quality, they have a high level of geometry and are overall very detailed, materials look realistic with appropriate shaders where metel, glass, rubber react realisticly to light. There looks to be the usual SSR, cube maps and other atmosphere effects like gas and smoke.

- sub 30 framerate and maybe frame pacing issues?
- the lighting outdoors is not the best, just the general quality of the how environmental materials react to light does not look the best
- there seems to be objects lacking shadows at further distances when outside, things like trees.

Apart from the framerate issues im pleased with how it looks. Even the best looking games have there weaker points visually.
I think this gen is going to be a smaller leap visually. Other current gen games just seems like small improvements over last gen with some iq and fps boost. While I like better visuals, im pretty over it, theres plenty of other ways games can be improved technically.
Games like the upcoming Skate Story, The Last Night, Stray, and The Plucky Squire tell me good art direction and lighting goes a LONG way. Ori is still one of the most gorgeous games I ever played and it can be done on a Nintendo Switch. Same with Journey. We just need better physics and AI and actual interactivity.

KXVXII9X

why the hell are so many people in this thread complaining about the visuals/graphics? this is bethesda, they make games with a singular artistic vision, graphics be damned. this isn't fuckin microsoft flight simulator. why in the world would anyone complain about visuals regarding a bethesda game, it literally makes no sense.
Aside from Flight Simulator, A Plague Tale Requiem, and Redfall, it is Microsoft's first real "next Gen" game. That alone should tell you why people expect a lot. Especially, in a drought of current gen only titles. It looks good, but doesn't really look like a current gen only title.

Catphish

It looks good, but I refuse to allow myself to get hyped.

1. Bethesda games are consistently released with a ton of bugs that the community has to discover, report, and wait to be patched. It'll probably be at least six months after release before the game is properly tidied up and relatively bug free. I'd love to be wrong, but doubt I will be.

2. No mention (as far as I know) of how enemy difficulty will be handled. If this is another the-world (or galaxy)-levels-with-you routine, it's going to seriously deflate my interest.

3. It all just works.

zombrex

I really hope that the story and progression are not as formulaic as the gameplay trailer made it look.
Seems it is going to be the case of generic opening for all players > meet various factions > and work with all those factions until a point in the story where you must permanently align with one over the others.

From what I understand they chose to use this older looking 'engine' because they could generate content faster, better, more.
I'm hoping that there is a plethora of content.

I am taking a guess here but,
1000's of planets might mean some planets are chained together in a quest line. Have to land on planet 245 just to find one alien artifact, nothing else beyond resources.

Skyrim and Cyberpunk 2077 both had over 300 side quest/missions. If Starfield could possibly Tripple that number, then there would need to be a lot of places to go.
1000's of places.

Last edited:

Reave

Sounds like a lot of people are trying to handwaive each other’s opinions on here. How fun.

Personally, I didn’t think it looked good. The performance was way too rough for comfort, and I find the muted color palette to be too sterile and bland. Gameplay didn’t look all that unique, either.

Not ready to say this is a disaster, but that certainly wasn’t the way I hoped it’d look.

Raonak

Banned
Kinda looked a little underwhelming, especially after the previous teaser trailer.

Everything looked a little... generic. the idea of hundreds of generated worlds is always way better than actually playing through hundreds of generated worlds.

Curious to see whether it can live up to the hype.

Elysion

Banned
Hmm, one of the perks you can choose during character creation is called ‘Alien DNA’. I wonder what that means. Are there intelligent alien races that humans are already familiar with? Or did scientists splice some DNA from non-intelligent alien lifeforms with that of humans? Maybe it helps survive in environments that would otherwise be toxic to humans?

Hmm, one of the perks you can choose during character creation is called ‘Alien DNA’. I wonder what that means. Are there intelligent alien races that humans are already familiar with? Or did scientists splice some DNA from non-intelligent alien lifeforms with that of humans? Maybe it helps survive in environments that would otherwise be toxic to humans?
There probably is knowing Bethesda like i do the plot of the story probably revolve around finding an ancient alien technology

That's not next-gen. Todd, the biggest snake-tongue ever, hardly showed anything about Starfield before. Now that he got Microsoft to pay an outrageous 77+ billion dollars for mostly this game, he released 5 minutes of gameplay, and it looks quite rough and ordinary for a game that is supposedly is in the "polishing up" stage.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
For its time, Oblivion was very impression. So was Skyrim.

I think the problem here might be that this is all procedurally generated whereas every inch of HFW and Red Dead 2 is carefully crafted by artists and designers. It's probably why the barren lands look the best because all you need is one good floor texture and a good lighting model.

The character models leave a lot to be desired but compared to Fallout 4 they look a gen apart. I do think that the creation engine is holding them back here because HFW's character models look stunning even on the base PS4. I know Skyrim and Fallout keep track of like thousands of items you leave laying around which is very memory hungry so it's possible that they are running out of memory for character models even on xbox. I dont know. I feel like the systems behind the scenes in Bethesda games are far more elaborate than in action adventure games like HFW and Red Dead. Their worlds are also massive... i mean we are literally talking about worlds here.

This was my romance companion in fallout 4, and this was the hottest woman i could find in the game lol

ErhuLmy.jpg

Look at the shoulders. Those arent even smooth edges. Those are ps2 quality character models.

This is a pretty big upgrade:

xADN10V.jpg

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I don't care about how it look, it's good enough for me (not to mention than on PC, modders will quickly raise this game to the next level in term of graphics)
I'm more worried about the gameplay and the features but we'll see, it's Bethesda so day one.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
i0Xa9oV.jpg
Ub1FM7Z.jpg
MsLUN5i.jpg

Game looks really fucking good. Alot better than what alot of people are giving it credit for.
Yep the art and tech is great, and equally or maybe more impressive is the amount of diverse locations and how different they all looked in the trailer.

The only thing they need to nail in the rest of the air is performance hitches.

Last edited:

GenericUser

I was not sold until they showed off all the different "biomes". After I saw that, my jaw dropped on the floor. My imagination went wild, thinking about all the different locations to explore. I also didn't expect space travel to be interactive, I thought you would just select a location on a map and the game would take you there. That's pretty neat. It's like RDR2 was living a life in the wild west, this will be like living a life in the distant future. Can't wait to play it. Really really looking forward to this game after the presentation.

Shmunter

Everything after the one hour mark was running on the series x.

This is targeting 30 fps like all xsx games should. No idea what the resolution is, but I am guessing they will have a 60 fps performance mode at 1080p or 900p. Or you can always play this on a more powerful PC.
Games should be targeting 30 on XsX? This is not the expectation any longer.

People are refusing to buy Until Dawn spiritual sequel because it’s 30fps…a point and click movie adventure game.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I think the problem here might be that this is all procedurally generated whereas every inch of HFW and Red Dead 2 is carefully crafted by artists and designers. It's probably why the barren lands look the best because all you need is one good floor texture and a good lighting model.

The character models leave a lot to be desired but compared to Fallout 4 they look a gen apart. I do think that the creation engine is holding them back here because HFW's character models look stunning even on the base PS4. I know Skyrim and Fallout keep track of like thousands of items you leave laying around which is very memory hungry so it's possible that they are running out of memory for character models even on xbox. I dont know. I feel like the systems behind the scenes in Bethesda games are far more elaborate than in action adventure games like HFW and Red Dead. Their worlds are also massive... i mean we are literally talking about worlds here.

This was my romance companion in fallout 4, and this was the hottest woman i could find in the game lol

ErhuLmy.jpg

Look at the shoulders. Those arent even smooth edges. Those are ps2 quality character models.

This is a pretty big upgrade:

xADN10V.jpg

I don’t think the systems in Bethesda games are complicated. It’s just procedural generation on a larger scale. Every big open world game uses procedural generation

I worry that the immense scale of Starfield waters down it’s quality. I remember feeling that way with No Man’s Sky. The scale was massive but you get bored quickly because the unique aspects of every planet really aren’t all that interesting, and it lacks specific craftsmanship

While that character model is a big upgrade from FO4, it’s middle of the road of last gen character models and nothing noteworthy.

Watching the trailer again in 4k got me hyped though, graphics aside the art direction is fantastic and I can’t say enough about how incredible the soundtrack is.

Ozzie666

Anyone else feeling a since of doubt or lack of trust for this game? I give them all the credit in the world for turning Fall out 76 around or at least trying. This game gives me the feeling of empty promises, hype and too ambitious. I am really hoping I am wrong. But something did feel off about that, but then again building your own ship and some of those elements are pretty cool. Proceed with caution and wish them all the best.

Zuzu

The terrible amount of judder in the trailer is concerning. I’m guessing this was running at 4k max settings on a high end gpu but at 30fps. The fact that it’s juddering like that is unacceptable. I was hoping this would be 60fps on Series X but if it’s struggling like this then this may turn out to be 30fps only. But they better fix that awful judder before release.

Shmunter

The terrible amount of judder in the trailer is concerning. I’m guessing this was running at 4k max settings on a high end gpu but at 30fps. The fact that it’s juddering like that is unacceptable. I was hoping this would be 60fps on Series X but if it’s struggling like this then this may turn out to be 30fps only. But they better fix that awful judder before release.
It’s an rpg, but it’s also and fps game - at 30 in 2023? Nope

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
They didnt show landing or taking off, but they did show a small cutscene for it, which i imagine would be able to be used in any location.

When he said that you can land anywhere it showed a button saying "land" (or something like that). It looked that you would press that and it would let you land where you selected. I dont believe they would overlook showing you that you can fly from space directly on to the planet if it was possible.

Makes it all less interesting for me overall.

I felt like this was one of the seminal game reveal moments. I wasn't even that interested but I just felt the energy of the gameplay reveal.

-World feels like it could strike a sweet spot of map size, the epicness of landing anywhere on a planet while at the same time not being too much of a procedurally generated mess. I'm just not interested in stuff like NMS, on the other side of the coin outer worlds was too small

-The shooting looked like it would benefit from VATS. I love VATS so much. it just adds a sense of importance of blowing a dudes head off.

-Speaking of which I didn't notice any gibs of dismemberment? Hoping I'm wrong.

-Mouse and kb plus a beefy rig should smooth out the shooting experience enough.

-VR pls. Bethesda has been pretty good with at least having a VR option for modders to build off of.

Last edited:

Jennings

That's not next-gen. Todd, the biggest snake-tongue ever, hardly showed anything about Starfield before. Now that he got Microsoft to pay an outrageous 77+ billion dollars for mostly this game, he released 5 minutes of gameplay, and it looks quite rough and ordinary for a game that is supposedly is in the "polishing up" stage.
MS spent 1/10th of that for Bethesda. Maybe you're mixing up Bethesda with ActivisionBlizzard, the latter of which is closer to the price you mention.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Those last shots of random planets looks close to some unreal 5 footage . Seems like they let in some Microsoft studios magicians in the Bethesda teams to spice up their engine which is great .

Last edited:

Quantum253

Anyone else feeling a since of doubt or lack of trust for this game? I give them all the credit in the world for turning Fall out 76 around or at least trying. This game gives me the feeling of empty promises, hype and too ambitious. I am really hoping I am wrong. But something did feel off about that, but then again building your own ship and some of those elements are pretty cool. Proceed with caution and wish them all the best.
I'll have to watch the trailer again, but I believe when Todd started mentioning the size/scale, and you can land anywhere on a planet, he mentioned Iced moon and Goldilock planets that have life. I'm thinking there's probably 5-10 biome types, depending on how far away the planet is from the sun (ice/Earth like/fire), and in between types that probably have some sort of random terrain generator for each location. Well have to see how it plays out.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Probably the best statement regarding this whole thing. I agree with both of you btw. Its not doing anything new, but it is doing it in a way that imho...is superiors to those other games. As those games have a feature here, a feature there, this game damn near has all of em in some form, but from a trusted team that can deliver those aspects in 1 package.

Star Citizen is basically um....trying to do what this game is pretty much doing, so even Star Citizen having more here or more there....its also not even officially released, been worked on longer and chances are...won't fucking even have a release by the time we get Starfield. So what Star Citizen is or is trying to be is irrelevant if it never comes out and Starfield seems like its doing like 99% of what many of us wanted from Star Citizen in the first place, except this is by a real team that is actually making a real game lol

If Star Citizen is not a scam, dear lord...I feel sorry for anyone thinking that a PC AAA exclusive could work. Those days are long gone and Starfield even existing at all, as a multiplatform game proves that such a thing simply can't be done anymore, for fuck sakes Starfield was announced later, released sooner then Star Citizen....maybe those gamers need to concede that console gaming is needed for those AAA budgets. I just don't see how a PC only AAA thing would work, even crowd funded

@mnkl1 oh its going to murder that game's install base on that beta. Even as someone that played it myself, Starfield IS what I wanted Star Citizen to be, but shit... I need to back winner here and the whole fucking game can't just be a concept, theory, idea, beta, alpha for life man. 200 hours in to Starfield, why would I wait to see what Star Citizen turns out to be, but a company known for putting out fucking real games, made the thing I wanted, would make DLC for the thing I wanted, would make sequels to the thing I wanted?

I don't know if I see room for 2 on this one and I feel No Man Sky chipped away at that base, Starfield is going to put a nail in that coffin for sure.

Maybe you need to compare Squadron 42 and not Star Citizen. Because you can basically say the same from NMS, but both are online an SC is a MMO. Bethesda doesnt’t have to bother with a lot of advanced network tech. The fact that with “1000” planets and you can’t land the ship yourself. This big important part makes SC way more impressive. Also 99% is not true since SC is going a lot further with almost everything. You can compare some things from both games, but Starfield will be less interactive then StarCitizen at that point (which is fine)

Having ships, with fully internals same as a ship in SC, but entering and exiting atmo is only cinematic, makes it less interesting for me, and kinda a waist for a singleplayer game with 1000 planets.

Last edited:

DonF

Very stylish UI but that's it. Looks a lot like no man's sky, but I assume it will have a better story, better, events and better characters.

Fredrik

Games should be targeting 30 on XsX? This is not the expectation any longer.

People are refusing to buy Until Dawn spiritual sequel because it’s 30fps…a point and click movie adventure game.
Iirc he played Horizon Forbidden West at 30fps, he’s clearly too focused on the image quality side of things. I tried 30fps in HFW and it looked like crap as soon as you unpaused and actually started playing.

Regarding Starfield, like all Bethesda’s RPGs you’ll want to play it on PC anyway sooner or later because of mods. 60fps will be easier to reach there. And we might have upgraded consoles soon anyway so downgrading the engine to run at 60 on consoles at this point is probably not wise. I applaud them for aiming far, the game looks phenomenal! 👌

The game ran like shit, it wasn’t visually impressive and the thing I care about most - good characters and narrative seemed entirely absent. If this game wasn’t made by the team that has made it. We’d all be shitting on it hard.

Fredrik

Very stylish UI but that's it. Looks a lot like no man's sky, but I assume it will have a better story, better, events and better characters.
Yeah it’s essentially a next gen No Man’s Sky RPG, which to me is the perfect match 👌 And having 1000 planets to explore is insane, I’ve probably not visited more than 300 on my ~500 hours playing No Man’s Sky, it’s a crazy number really. I want to know how they’ve done it. Must be procedurally generated, iirc they did that with Oblivion, then placed out dungeons by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom