• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield - Official Gameplay Trailer Reveal (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game will be engaging and will suck people in for tens of hours, but for me it looks quite dated already. The lifeless stares, the animations when talking to an NPC. I look at what games like Horizon:FW did with their NPC discussions and think that’s the standard we’ve got to at least aim for now.
I’m not entirely convinced by this and it does seem like the reports of development issues may have been true. Still, plenty of time to see more.

Last edited:

The_hunter

The game ran like shit, it wasn’t visually impressive and the thing I care about most - good characters and narrative seemed entirely absent. If this game wasn’t made by the team that has made it. We’d all be shitting on it hard.
Gunplay wasn't great either, they need to polish it up more, those animations were bad.

Gunplay wasn't great either, they need to polish it up more, those animations were bad.
Gunplay looked awful but I wouldn’t expect good gunplay.

This game is going to kill this studio. Looks to be a real shitshow.

I can’t wait for each planet to be mostly barren and the actual interesting content just being a small location on 1 in 50 planets.

Barakov

Gold Member
>Me looking at this footage
0ce3oIZ.gif

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

I can’t wait for each planet to be mostly barren and the actual interesting content just being a small location on 1 in 50 planets.
The What?
Fallout 76 didnt kill the studio but you think Starfield will?
They also have an MS blank check.

Mate salt is one thing but this is getting out of hand.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If anything that 1000 planets announcement was a turn off for me. I'd rather have 5 or 10 well designed and handcrafted planets.

Game definitely looks interesting though.
Ignore the procedural planets and focus on the heavily curated ones?
Its your story play the game however you want, thats pretty much the best part about Bethesda games, how you play the game and how I play the game will be completely different, if you dont feel like exploring too many planets just stick to the main questline and be done with the game in a few days.
If you want the whole system then explore and be level 10 million by the time you do the second story mission.

The more they promise, the buggier it gets. It's Bethesda. Will play it through Game Pass, but if I had to buy it for retail price I'd definitely pass.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member

You must be real fun at parties.

Dr.D00p

No matter how thick they smear the lipstick on, this creaking creation engine they use, will still look & act like a pig.

niilokin

I think the problem here might be that this is all procedurally generated whereas every inch of HFW and Red Dead 2 is carefully crafted by artists and designers. It's probably why the barren lands look the best because all you need is one good floor texture and a good lighting model.

The character models leave a lot to be desired but compared to Fallout 4 they look a gen apart. I do think that the creation engine is holding them back here because HFW's character models look stunning even on the base PS4. I know Skyrim and Fallout keep track of like thousands of items you leave laying around which is very memory hungry so it's possible that they are running out of memory for character models even on xbox. I dont know. I feel like the systems behind the scenes in Bethesda games are far more elaborate than in action adventure games like HFW and Red Dead. Their worlds are also massive... i mean we are literally talking about worlds here.

This was my romance companion in fallout 4, and this was the hottest woman i could find in the game lol

ErhuLmy.jpg

Look at the shoulders. Those arent even smooth edges. Those are ps2 quality character models.

This is a pretty big upgrade:

xADN10V.jpg
this makes it 100x more creepy when their heads start spinning around world axis :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Fredrik

The game will be engaging and will suck people in for tens of hours, but for me it looks quite dated already. The lifeless stares, the animations when talking to an NPC. I look at what games like Horizon:FW did with their NPC discussions and think that’s the standard we’ve got to at least aim for now.
I’m not entirely convinced by this and it does seem like the reports of development issues may have been true. Still, plenty of time to see more.
Horizon can do cutscene quality talks because you’ll talk to like 20 people during your whole playthrough. And to be fair things still look awkward at times, as internet quickly made sure we should never forget. It’s not easy to get right.

The scale is on a whole other level here. 1000 planets, big cities, a quick google search show that Starfield has over 150,000 voiced lines, more than any other Bethesda RPG. Plus it’s very likely open-ended with different conversations with the same characters based on your role-playing. It’s no doubt a talky game and obviously difficult to do it all in cutscene quality.

Elysion

Banned
Regarding the number of planets, here’s a fun fact: Starfield will have more planets than the number of dungeons, cities, villages, camps, caves and other points of interest in Skyrim, Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 combined.

Yeah, there’s going to be a lot of barren real estate in this game.

Edit: Thinking about it, due to their sheer number, it seems the planets themselves will take on the role of ‘dungeons’ in this game. There’s no way Bethesda would be able to create meaningful points of interests for each and every planet; it would simply be too much work. So landing on most planets in Starfield will be like entering a cave or a mine in Skyrim: you kill some enemies, find some loot, and get out.

Last edited:
First time in years that I've actually been excited for a game.

I'm still playing Skyrim 11 years on and still finding new stuff so hopefully the same will be true of this.

While it would be great to have a game that has both super polished gameplay and a fleshed out environment to explore it seems we are stuck with one or the other. You either get a super polished Sony game with a dead feeling open world and either no clip NPCs (or NPCs glued to the ground in safe zones) or a Bethesda game where you can actually explore and do crazy shit but in a world that feels like it is being held together with hopes and prayers (and Ubisoft with kind of a worst of both worlds even though I do enjoy their games). Hopefully this is more polished but you can still see the jank.

Fuz

Banned
Regarding the number of planets, here’s a fun fact: Starfield will have more planets than the number of dungeons, cities, villages, camps, caves and other points of interest in Skyrim, Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 combined.

And still less planets than Daggerfall dungeons.

For its time, Oblivion was very impressive. So was Skyrim.
Not really. Oblivion's environments were very lush for the time, that's it. Skyrim was nothing to write home about if we're talking raw graphics.

Their strength has always been player freedom, the scale of the environments and a coherent artistic vision across all biomes, cultures etc. And this seems to deliver just that.

BlueAlpaca

Edit: Thinking about it, due to their sheer number, it seems the planets themselves will take on the role of ‘dungeons’ in this game. There’s no way Bethesda would be able to create meaningful points of interests for each and every planet; it would simply be too much work. So landing on most planets in Starfield will be like entering a cave or a mine in Skyrim: you kill some enemies, find some loot, and get out.

Recalibrating my thoughts to buy xbox for this game... :lollipop_neutral: I think I'll wait for reviews first, and maybe a few more exclusives.

sertopico

I'm not that impressed to be honest. Looks like the game's development is still far from being complete, even in its main mechanics. You can still smell that typical Bethesda's jankiness in the world they created, animations, interiors and exteriors, AI... Characters look also quite dated, as well as the engine which still has the fragile foundations of the Gamebryo. Meaning it might break from one moment to another. Of course it's much, much better than the current engine's iteration but still, this is something to be expected from a game that will come in 2023.
And 1000 explorable planets? We've all seen what's going on with SC, a game of this scope requires too much time and effort to be made, so I'm expecting some radiant quest repetitive stuff applied to a larger planet scale. I will be happy to be proven wrong as the game will finally be available, but for now I'm very doubtful. Story is also a bit meh, an ancient artifact that could reveal this and that... I've heard that already.

PS: double barrel shotguns in 2300something? They can come up with better ideas.

Last edited:

Dima2

Neo Member
To me it looked like another Bethesda game. If you liked their stuff from Oblivion on, I expect you'll probably enjoy this one. I'm one of those people, so I'm excited for it, but I feel as though the formula might be starting to feel dated for some.

Shmunter

I'm not that impressed to be honest. Looks like the game's development is still far from being complete, even in its main mechanics. You can still smell that typical Bethesda's jankiness in the world they created, animations, interiors and exteriors, AI... Characters look also quite dated, as well as the engine which still has the fragile foundations of the Gamebryo. Meaning it might break from one moment to another. Of course it's much, much better than the current engine's iteration but still, this is something to be expected from a game that will come in 2023.
And 1000 explorable planets? We've all seen what's going on with SC, a game of this scope requires too much time and effort to be made, so I'm expecting some radiant quest repetitive stuff applied to a larger planet scale. I will be happy to be proven wrong as the game will finally be available, but for now I'm very doubtful. Story is also a bit meh, an ancient artifact that could reveal this and that... I've heard that already.

PS: double barrel shotguns in 2300something? They can come up with better ideas.
Every game needs double barrel shotguns

For its time, Oblivion was very impressive. So was Skyrim.

But by the time Fallout 4 released, their tech seemed ancient compared to peers. And now they are falling even further behind with Starfield. They used to be fairly cutting edge but something has prevented them from meaningfully raising the bar like they used to.

As I said - the game looks good. You can have games that technically look underwhelming but overall still look appealing due to art style or what have you.
Simply because open world games are getting huge and there is no way to look better than what we have here unless you want to spend 15 years with a 1000 person workforce working on them.
Also some of the best games we have recently are technically underwhelming or even closer to indie than AAA take for example elden ring and returnal.

Horizon can do cutscene quality talks because you’ll talk to like 20 people during your whole playthrough. And to be fair things still look awkward at times, as internet quickly made sure we should never forget. It’s not easy to get right.

The scale is on a whole other level here. 1000 planets, big cities, a quick google search show that Starfield has over 150,000 voiced lines, more than any other Bethesda RPG. Plus it’s very likely open-ended with different conversations with the same characters based on your role-playing. It’s no doubt a talky game and obviously difficult to do it all in cutscene quality.
While true, it does make it look quite poor in comparison. I look at this and feel that it’s very dated by modern standards.
We shouldn’t be making excuses for games - this has been in development for an incredibly long time and has a huge budget and now has the finance of one of the richest companies on earth behind it.
I really thought that we would have much less Bethesda jank with this game. I look at this and think, surely you’d put your best foot forward with gameplay demos (like GOW, Days Gone, Horizon, Cyberpunk, Uncharted 4) but this just felt really flat. More of the same in a different setting, and even then the space content isn’t as good as other games.
Like I said. It will do very well, but this really fell flat for me.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
Not really. Oblivion's environments were very lush for the time, that's it. Skyrim was nothing to write home about if we're talking raw graphics.
Oblivion had the advantage of being a very early gen 7 game. It was the first big next gen exclusive (other than the 360 launch titles), and looked genuinely impressive when it released. It came out before the PS3 had even launched. There wasn’t really anything that could compete with it at the time. We’re laughing at them now, but back then Oblivion’s character models looked genuinely impressive. But I agree that Skyrim looked pretty average even back in 2011.

If Starfield had come out in early 2021, before Horizon FW, Ratchet&Clank and FH5 were released, then it would’ve looked much more impressive in comparison to the games that were available at the time.

Last edited:
Oblivion had the advantage of being a very early gen 7 game. It was the first big next gen exclusive (other than the 360 launch titles), and looked genuinely impressive when it released. It came out before the PS3 had even launched. There wasn’t really anything that could compete with it at the time. We’re laughing at them now, but back then Oblivion’s character models looked genuinely impressive. But I agree that Skyrim looked pretty average even back in 2011.

If Starfield had come out in early 2021, before Horizon FW, Ratchet&Clank and FH5 were released, then it would’ve looked much more impressive in comparison to the games that were available at the time.
the scope of those games is not even in the least comparable to what Starfield want to achieve

Last edited:
Yes, unfortunately it looked average and technically well behind the impressive next gen games we already got. Character models look especially outdated.
Yet its by far the biggest and most ambitious game in development, and let's not forget about size, scope and variety in the environments, physics etc. Priorities lie elsewhere beyond pretty graphics.

TBiddy

Yet its by far the biggest and most ambitious game in development, and let's not forget about size, scope and variety in the environments, physics etc. Priorities lie elsewhere beyond pretty graphics.

It's easy to tell that it's a console exclusive based on the posts here. It's the biggest game in years and probably one of the most ambitious games ever. Add to that, that it looks great (not award-winningly-great, but still). And still we have the usual suspects whining that it looks poor and janky.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This game is dangerous for me. Custom build your own ship. Hand pick your own crew. Explore hundreds of planets........it's like the Star Trek game I've always dreamed of.

Which is why I won't be playing it! A game like this would hold me in its iron grip and refuse to let go. It would eat up all my time and leave me with little time to pursue other hobbies or work on my career.

Best I leave this one alone. Does look really good. Can't deny that.

GymWolf

Gold Member

You talk with more than 20 people before the game even properly start dude, lmao.

Let's not bring down other games just because bethesda doesn't care about improving their digital acting tech.

Fw has a lot of flaws but lack of people to talk is not one of them.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
If anything that 1000 planets announcement was a turn off for me. I'd rather have 5 or 10 well designed and handcrafted planets.

Game definitely looks interesting though.
you’ll certainly have tons of hand crafted places too, for what it’s worth

Tieno

This game is dangerous for me. Custom build your own ship. Hand pick your own crew. Explore hundreds of planets........it's like the Star Trek game I've always dreamed of.

Which is why I won't be playing it! A game like this would hold me in its iron grip and refuse to let go. It would eat up all my time and leave me with little time to pursue other hobbies or work on my career.

Best I leave this one alone. Does look really good. Can't deny that.
What about just one little side quest? Or just the character creator? Why not just download the game? You can quit at anytime after that. You know you can. We all know you can. You deserve this game.

I was very skeptical about Starfield, but what they showed looked really good to me!

As a PS5 owner I'm now a little bit more salty about them acquiring Bethesda. Now here's hoping when you decide to land anywhere on that ice moon, your ship won't sink into the core of the planet and it crashes the console or something...

What people forget is for example Skyrim if you take the original version from Bethesda is an absolute horrible game especially the combat.Bethesda games have mostly the explorations going for them everything else is horrible.These games become so famous and later good because of 1000s of modders who fix and rebuild enhance these bad games.For example Lydia in Skyrim was absolute useless not Functioning only with mods you could make the Lydia how it should be from the from the start.When people refer to Bethesda games and say they are great games it’s not true the modded version are good the original games are average games.Oblivion was horrible except the exploration Skyrim was horrible 5 different enemy Typs gameplay was trash everything broken lots of quests not functioning and so on.Same will happen with Starfield will be a average to good game from the start lots of people are interested because of building stuff like in simcity other for the exploration.The game will become way better after 1000s modders enhanced and fixed it.

Tarnpanzer

Even if this game comes out first half of 2023. It will need at least need 6 months of patches is my guess.

What people forget is for example Skyrim if you take the original version from Bethesda is an absolute horrible game especially the combat.Bethesda games have mostly the explorations going for them everything else is horrible.

Why are they unable to aquire talent to make better combat?

Last edited:

Katajx

I definitely want to see more. I’ve been playing their games since Morrowind, but I’m starting to worry if their style just isn’t going to work for me anymore.

When they made Fallout 3 I thought “Oh, Oblivion with guns.” It was better than I imagined and knew nothing about Fallout though.

This to me looks like “Fallout in space.”
The UI is different and new. What is going to be the definitive thing that sets this IP apart from their other games?

It’s the first IP in 25 years so I was hoping it would look a little less recognizable as being on this engine.

I see the improvements and some new ideas, but it looks more like an Assassin’s Creed sequel than a brand new series to me.

Last edited:

pasterpl

What people forget is for example Skyrim if you take the original version from Bethesda is an absolute horrible game especially the combat.Bethesda games have mostly the explorations going for them everything else is horrible.These games become so famous and later good because of 1000s of modders who fix and rebuild enhance these bad games.For example Lydia in Skyrim was absolute useless not Functioning only with mods you could make the Lydia how it should be from the from the start.When people refer to Bethesda games and say they are great games it’s not true the modded version are good the original games are average games.Oblivion was horrible except the exploration Skyrim was horrible 5 different enemy Typs gameplay was trash everything broken lots of quests not functioning and so on.Same will happen with Starfield will be a average to good game from the start lots of people are interested because of building stuff like in simcity other for the exploration.The game will become way better after 1000s modders enhanced and fixed it.
And I have spent over 200h playing Skyrim on my Xbox360 without any mods etc. and found the game brilliant. That junk game that critics rated 96 on meta critic in 2011 and give that games hit tons of award. User score on meta is also high at 8.6

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim

Even if this game comes out first half of 2023. It will need at least need 6 months of patches is my guess.

Why are they unable to aquire talent to make better combat?
Exactly.They only need to look at Dragons Dogma absolutely amazing gameplay from the start of the game.While in first person the flaws don’t show so much in third person it’s absolutely horrible the combat.Maybe it’s their engine which doesn’t allow different gameplay better gameplay.Even in the Starfield trailer you could see the floating movements in third person for which their engine is famous.

Katajx

Exactly.They only need to look at Dragons Dogma absolutely amazing gameplay from the start of the game.While in first person the flaws don’t show so much in third person it’s absolutely horrible the combat.Maybe it’s their engine which doesn’t allow different gameplay better gameplay.Even in the Starfield trailer you could see the floating movements in third person for which their engine is famous.
Dragon’s Dogma’s combat took away all the enjoyment I had of fighting dragons in Skyrim. I didn’t want to go back at hacking feet after climbing on monsters and stabbing them in the face whenever I wanted lol

Last edited:
And I have spent over 200h playing Skyrim on my Xbox360 without any mods etc. and found the game brilliant. That junk game that critics rated 96 on meta critic in 2011 and give that games hit tons of award. User score on meta is also high at 8.6

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim
I understand what you are saying but I think it got that scores and reviews because it’s one of a kind game in size.Other games would never get the pass that Bethesda games get in the reviews in the scores you could never see the bad like the combat or game braking bugs I couldn’t finish whole missions in their games and god know how often I had to completely reboot my PC and PS3 because character got stuck while walking and I lost progress.On PC I had Skyrim with over 100 mods running and it was still only a good game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom