• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield - Official Gameplay Trailer Reveal (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
What about just one little side quest? Or just the character creator? Why not just download the game? You can quit at anytime after that. You know you can. We all know you can. You deserve this game.

Lol. Nice try.

I'm sure the game will be good, but I can't risk it.

I'm also having doubts about this having 1000 explorable planets. If it's just the same landscape with a few outposts/aliens then it seems pretty pointless. That with the resource gathering has me worried that this game could turn into a grind. I'm old enough to remember the lofty promises of Spore and look how that turned out. Pretty sure Tom Howard has also made unfulfilled promises in the past.

I'll see how the finished game ends up, but at the moment I have my doubts. Or maybe I just don't want it to be amazing for the sake of my FOMO.

Nankatsu

While looking extremely ambitious I get the feeling it's not exactly that refreshing. Scope is insane I'll give them that, but I wonder how many of those 1000 planets are exactly unique.

Also, if they had mixed gameplay between gunplay and powers, exactly like Mass Effect does I would be instantly sold, but all that extremely exaggerate gunplay seemed generic as hell.

I look at this game and it's missing that.

Looks ambitious but rough, its my take after watching the trailer.

Dragon’s Dogma’s combat took away all the enjoyment I had of fighting dragons in Skyrim. I didn’t want to go back at hacking feet after climbing on monsters and stabbing them in the face whenever I wanted lol
I understand but take souls series then.they have absolutely amazing gameplay and are open worldish or like Elden ring open world.But I am sure Starfield will be an good game maybe a great game without modders.The game has lots of going for it.

Outlier

Saw it and yeah it's Fallout 4 in space, but with more gameplay mechanics, which is great as a package.
The graphics are NOT impressive and they should've made an effort to make it at least FEEL like it wasn't based on F4 mechanics (especially the camera).

It certainly seems ambitious, but I think there's a few "catches" we might be in for. Todd used his words carefully to try to give the audience a sense that the game is more in-depth, than it might be.

1. You can build your ship.
Does modifying the modules also change the interiors or is it just window dressing?

2. You can fly your ship.
Conveniently didn't show the player leaving or entering the planets atmosphere, which could mean there will likely be loading screens.

3. You can land anywhere and explore the planets.
To me this suggests that the planets will not be as large with varying biomes, as we might expect.

4. 1,000 planets.
And of course most are likely some level of procedural generation, with only maybe 5% limited explorable hand crafted locations, with the best ones being story related.

Hmmmm Can't think of anything else, right now.

freefornow

Wow that looks shit.

PS3 games looked better
Danger 5 Laughing GIF

Arun1910

That was really underwhelming. Gunplay looked off, graphics were mediocre. Nothing "Wow" in that gameplay at all.

Also worried about the 1000 plants, procedurally generated? How much is going to have content, how much is barren? This just looks like a AAA "No Man's Sky" to me and that isn't appealing unfortunately.

Last edited:

Fredrik

You talk with more than 20 people before the game even properly start dude, lmao.

Let's not bring down other games just because bethesda doesn't care about improving their digital acting tech.

Fw has a lot of flaws but lack of people to talk is not one of them.
I’m not bashing it, big fan of Horizon. When does the game properly start? I played maybe 20 hours before I jumped to Elden Ring. I didn’t talk to more than 20 people during that time, unless you count random NPC non-close up chatter.
According to google the game has 41 characters, 18 main characters. Close enough I’d say but fair enough I was wrong with 20 people total. 👍

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
phew... was genuinely pissed that MS scooped up Bethesda and i would miss out on Starfield, after seeing that gameplay reveal, all i can think is.. yeah that's a fallout 4 space mod, nothing about that looks current let alone next gen, same wooden, terrible faces and fuck off Todd with your 1000 planets, procedurally generated blandscapes.. They really really need to ditch that fucking engine

Ribi

I honestly don't know why anybody is wasting their time and the time of people actually looking forward to playing this game by comparing it to those other games. Like not even as a joke, but for real? These games are not the same... Star Citizen from what I've observed for all these years is a glorified damn scam.

Let's keep it a buck. If you see it as something different, cool for you. Starfield as currently constructed based on its premise and overview looks to be a game that is about to do what all those other games TRIED to do, except they're about to do a better job of realizing all that potential because they're about to attach the individual pieces to a far superior overall videogame, a Bethesda singleplayer RPG epic.

Each of the systems shown need not ever go as far as any of those other games do in any one particular shared mechanic, be it space combat, space flight, space exploration, customizing a ship, exploring planets, weapon/gear customization and crafting, collecting resources, character customization, building a base, whatever.

With zero care nor concern for how any of those other games that I've never been interested in playing do what they do, Starfield's systems and mechanics only need be adequate and competent enough to complement the incredible RPG and story experience that Bethesda is building starfield to be.

And this line here...

Sport Who Cares GIF

So more systems and planets to visit right? I can bet my bottom dollar none of it will be more exciting or interesting than the 100 systems and 1,000 planets Bethesda are building for Starfield. Elite Dangerous has over 400 billion star systems. Yes, 400 billion systems in a game I couldn't give a shit about. A game that will NOT be an RPG by the creators of Elder Scrolls Oblivion, that will not be an RPG by the creators of Elder Scrolls: Skyrim or the creators of Fallout 3 and Fallout 4. Starfield has my interest and the interest of others because it will everything those other games are not, a bad ass singleplayer RPG from Bethesda Game Studios. For all the supposed scale in those games, they'll be lucky to have a fraction of the in depth world building and attention to detail and RPG depth and storytelling that Starfield will have. That's why the scale of this game is so fucking impressive. There isn't anything else like it. So, yes, an RPG of Starfield's caliber having this type of scale is a lot more impressive than No Man's Sky, Scam Citizen and Elite Dangerous.

If all these other games somehow did what Starfield is doing better already, then surely you guys have found your game. A thread about a supposed inferior product or replica should be of course be of no interest to people who feel better already exist. Or so we would think....
Copium

Matt_Fox

This game is dangerous for me. Custom build your own ship. Hand pick your own crew. Explore hundreds of planets........it's like the Star Trek game I've always dreamed of.

Which is why I won't be playing it! A game like this would hold me in its iron grip and refuse to let go. It would eat up all my time and leave me with little time to pursue other hobbies or work on my career.

Best I leave this one alone. Does look really good. Can't deny that.

"Maybe I'll just play it for ten minutes..."
Halloween Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Matt_Fox

RE: 1000 planets. Space is vast, and naturally they want the immersion of Starfield to feel limitless. But I suspect this will be like saying Skyrim has 1000 rocks. They will essentially be window dressing (although Modders will have a field day).

RE: The guns. Todd said the level they showed was from the game's opening, hence the basic weaponry. I'm sure more juicy stuff will come into play.

phew... was genuinely pissed that MS scooped up Bethesda and i would miss out on Starfield, after seeing that gameplay reveal, all i can think is.. yeah that's a fallout 4 space mod, nothing about that looks current let alone next gen, same wooden, terrible faces and fuck off Todd with your 1000 planets, procedurally generated blandscapes.. They really really need to ditch that fucking engine
Yawn. People always say this and then 50 million people buy it and love it.

Mister Wolf

Show me a PS3 game that come any where close to this level of detail on this large of a scale

wzKD6xk.jpg

Game is going to be a treat maxed out on PC. I hope they give us DLSS and a Raytraced Lighting option. I would like to think at this point they will be using Direct Storage so we can have fast loading for everything including fast travel and asset streaming.

Last edited:

Pallas

Salt?

How's giving constructive criticism means one is salty. It's not always wars. I bought a Series X last year to play FP games and Starfield was a big reason. The reveal was disappointing, and it's okay if people point out the flaws in it.
Maybe to you? Nothing wrong with pointing out flaws, but i wouldn’t call this game a disappointment. It’s clear why it was pushed back now, but overall the story has me curious, there’s factions, base and ship building, space flight which you actually control and dog fights.

The game legitimately looks great graphic wise, there are frame rate issues and the gun combat needs to be tweaked a bit.

I might be disappointing if this game was releasing now, but let’s wait and see how it improves closer to release. I’m cautiously optimistic.

Matt_Fox

The Xbox One would instantly explode trying to run this game so the answer is no it is next gen only

Yep, looks like a power hungry game. I suspect a fair bit of console double dipping will occur when this comes out as Series S owners decide to upgrade to Series X.

pasterpl

I was shocked how bad it looked. I had a feeling this would happen. Game was overhyped to oblivion and we all fell for it. I gotta hand it to Lying Todd he def knows how to fool people.

Ryan Gosling Clap GIF
Look at the screenshots below:
Man, the amount of environmental diversity in the footage was AMAZING.

I can easily believe when Bethesda says this is their most ambitious game yet.

And a fully customizable space module with combat.

This game is going to be NUTS.

1gok5u.png

2bwjb2.png

35yk5a.png

49ejft.png

5fakjw.png

untitledf6jqx.png

GymWolf

Gold Member
I’m not bashing it, big fan of Horizon. When does the game properly start? I played maybe 20 hours before I jumped to Elden Ring. I didn’t talk to more than 20 people during that time, unless you count random NPC non-close up chatter.
According to google the game has 41 characters, 18 main characters. Close enough I’d say but fair enough I was wrong with 20 people total. 👍
Those numbers are all wrong, if you talk with every character when you meet the king and all the sidequest characters in the first village before actually entering the forbidden west we are over 20 charas already.

In fw any small interaction with npcs that gives you a quest are motion captured or just hight quality, even small ass commissions.

I was not only talking about primary and secondary characters.

Ironically, aloy looks less natural than some tertiary characters.

The game was never gonna meet the high expectations that were put on it. Once upon a time Bethesda were one of the few doing giant open world games but now in 2022, everyone is doing it. The novelty has worn off. I still expect it to be one of the best open world games though.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
It looks great , just not "im gonna play it on my PC asap or im gonna get an Xbox for this" kinda game.
You're lying. Lol. This is EXACTLY the kind of game you buy a whole console for. Many of you without an Xbox now will soon be owning one in the near future. Some of you will go broke to get it day one. Guaranteed.

The salt in this thread only proves it. (not saying you're going to buy one but many will)

GHG

Gold Member
You're lying. Lol. This is EXACTLY the kind of game you buy a whole console for. Many of you without an Xbox now will soon be owning one in the near future. Some of you will go broke to get it day one. Guaranteed.

The salt in this thread only proves it. (not saying you're going to buy one but many will)

Always Be Closing Alec Baldwin GIF

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member

I remember you, you were the guy that told me about Crackdown 3 a few years ago, I didn't believe you then and I don't believe you now. Series X consoles are in stock for days now in Amazon UK, not stoking the flames but that showcase should have made me grab one of those.......... but it just didn't and that is the truth.

There were some very good looking games, but this is a huge "wait and see" from me.

Shmunter

I just can’t get over the performance for a game that was about to be released, are they really going for 30fps!?!

I bet ps5 was the lead platform and we’re looking at a quick and dirty port job. Why not, Deathloop, Ghostwrire, Balthasda was all in on the ps5 camp.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Look forward to the OT. They'll be there in droves.
Ohh fuck I didnt even realize these guys are gonna be in the OT telling us how bad the game is even if they havent played it in any meaningful way.

Same thing happens with Sea of Thieves, nothing but haters but theyve never bothered actually playing it.

Shmunter

Ohh fuck I didnt even realize these guys are gonna be in the OT telling us how bad the game is even if they havent played it in any meaningful way.

Same thing happens with Sea of Thieves, nothing but haters but theyve never bothered actually playing it.
They better not incase the game shows up on ps5 in a year. Mw2 dedicated servers.jpg scenario.

DonJorginho

Banned
I just can’t get over the performance for a game that was about to be released, are they really going for 30fps!?!

I bet ps5 was the lead platform and we’re looking at a quick and dirty port job. Why not, Deathloop, Ghostwrire, Balthasda was all in on the ps5 camp.
I wouldn't worry about this just yet.

Firstly the game is minimum 6/7 months out and polishing is still taking place.

And yeah yeah I know some games don't sort out these issues even if given years but just look at RE8 as a recent example, the first few trailers ran like shit, sub 25fps kinda stuff, and everyone panicked, and then come release it ran at a smooth 60.

Shmunter

I wouldn't worry about this just yet.

Firstly the game is minimum 6/7 months out and polishing is still taking place.

And yeah yeah I know some games don't sort out these issues even if given years but just look at RE8 as a recent example, the first few trailers ran like shit, sub 25fps kinda stuff, and everyone panicked, and then come release it ran at a smooth 60.
Yeah, I agree.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Just watched the 4k trailer. Yup, this game is going to be huge and sell gang busters. Absolutely gargantuan megaton of a game right here. I'm going to lose hours designing my ship.
Yeah it's the scale and choice that makes it next gen, hundreds of hours incoming.

It's the potential scale of it that sells it to me the most. And all available for dirt cheap on GamePass.

I frankly don't trust Todd as far as I could fucking throw him, and I'm fully prepared for this game to be a mess on release, but I'll still be downloading it on release day for a look.... with a possible two month wait afterwards for them to fix all the bugs.

If Bethesda manage to break type and actually release a rock solid game technically though, it'll be a huge system seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom