• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edmund

0rwS5p1.jpg

Cashon

Banned
Yeah, but they didn't clarify stuff like:
  • Not being able to actually explore the planets freely (you can only explore a rather small box until you have to load into another such box)
  • Not being able to fly in the atmosphere to go between different places on the planet
  • Not being able to seamlessly take off and land
  • Not being able to fly from planet to planet (or fly anywhere at all really)
  • Pretty much everything being instanced and nothing being seamless
Of course, it was easy to suspect these things since they didn't show the opposite, and also considering the legacy of their crap engine, but they sure wanted you to believe this game was more about seamless space exploration than it is.
Do any of those things have any impact on what the game actually is though? Shouldn't the game be reviewed based on what it is, rather than what it isn't?

But even if not, do those bullet points make the game sound better to you? Even if I thought it was cool to do the first few times, eventually I would just fast travel everywhere anyway.

Why would anyone want to walk through miles of nothing on Mars?

Yeah, but they didn't clarify stuff like:
  • Not being able to actually explore the planets freely (you can only explore a rather small box until you have to load into another such box)
  • Not being able to fly in the atmosphere to go between different places on the planet
  • Not being able to seamlessly take off and land
  • Not being able to fly from planet to planet (or fly anywhere at all really)
  • Pretty much everything being instanced and nothing being seamless
Of course, it was easy to suspect these things since they didn't show the opposite, and also considering the legacy of their crap engine, but they sure wanted you to believe this game was more about seamless space exploration than it is.
They already confirmed Not being able to seamlessly take off and land since last year. Everything else is true tho more or less.

zeldaring

Banned
It has to be weighed against expectations. People were expecting Starfield to score 90+ and be a serious contender for GOTY. That it scores 87 is fine but quite a bit below expectations which is a disappointment. If Baldur's Gate had scored an 88, nobody would call it a disappointment because no one was expecting it to be as good as it is.
Exactly generation defining games are hardly ever rated below 90 on metracritic.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Sure.

Practically the same in all platform games, as these websites *are* metacritic / opencritic certified.

gmxRejI.jpg
Ragnarok isn’t a great example, it got 10/10’s from most outlets, including IGN.

I meant an example where PlayStation or Nintendo sites score very differently from other reviewers.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Sure.

Practically the same in all platform games, as these websites *are* metacritic / opencritic certified.

gmxRejI.jpg

For fun as you'd have to assume the website name implies bias:

Starfield

XboxAddict - 100
Generación Xbox - 99
SomosXbox - 98
MondoXbox - 97
TheXboxHub - 90
Windows Central - 90

6 of 51 Outlets

God of War Ragnorok

DualShockers - 100
MeuPlayStation - 100
PlayStation Universe - 100
PSX Brasil - 100
Push Square - 100
Press Start Australia - 95
PlayStation LifeStyle - 90
TheSixthAxis - 90

8 of 140 Outlets

Halo Infinite

Windows Central - 100
Generación Xbox - 99
SomosXbox - 98
XboxAddict - 95
Xbox Tavern - 93
MondoXbox - 90
Xbox Achievements - 90
Pure Xbox - 90
TheXboxHub - 80

8 of 98 Outlets

Mostly eyeballed it so I'm sure I missed data points. PlayStation games tend to get more reviews and both seem rather insignificant, especially when you factor in weighting of the scores those outlets give.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Just guessing, but the reason why is probably due to your "powers" being unlocked as you progress the game

So it's much more enjoyable to explore when you have more traversal/combat options

Nah it’s the story, just connect it there. NG+ will probably tie into the story. Think Interstellar. It checks out too since somebody like Gene, if you listen to him, his praise mostly boils down to how much he liked the quests.

damidu

Sure.

gmxRejI.jpg
you just missed the part, where unlike starfield ragnarok got 90+ all over the board
my advice to you guys, dont get too attached to that 87 on meta, real reviews are coming for you lol.

Last edited:

Gudji

For fun as you'd have to assume the website name implies bias:

Starfield

XboxAddict - 100
Generación Xbox - 99
SomosXbox - 98
MondoXbox - 97
TheXboxHub - 90
Windows Central - 90

6 of 51 Outlets

God of War Ragnorok

DualShockers - 100
MeuPlayStation - 100
PlayStation Universe - 100
PSX Brasil - 100
Push Square - 100
Press Start Australia - 95
PlayStation LifeStyle - 90
TheSixthAxis - 90

8 of 140 Outlets

Halo Infinite

Windows Central - 100
Generación Xbox - 99
SomosXbox - 98
XboxAddict - 95
Xbox Tavern - 93
MondoXbox - 90
Xbox Achievements - 90
Pure Xbox - 90
TheXboxHub - 80

8 of 98 Outlets
Xboxera is missing

Both Starfield and Armored Core 6 are victims of my own hype. Good games but also letdowns. I assumed they would both be amazing based off the developer pedigree and hype. Starfield, if it in fact my experience turns out to reflect the review scores, will be the bigger letdown.

With how disappointed I've been with Xbox I bought into the full "gotg" hype on this one. I desperately wanted this to be the Series X game that saves Xbox. Could it still be that game? Yes, as reviewers today are untrustworthy. My experience tho is that when a hyped game such as this reviews lower than expected, there is usually good reason for that.

Take a look at some of the most hyped games like Tears of the Kingdom, GoW Ragnarok, and Baulders Gate 3. The "hoyyype!" Is good for at least 5 free points of MC score in my experience. Between that, the constant loading, and 30 fps i need to return my hype level back to Earth!

Hugare

Elder Scrolls will not need to have dozens of different maps and terrain in memory at all time.

It will not be the same kind of things at all.
Neither did Fallout 4 or 76, and yet they were full of loadings, while every other open world game of past gen didn't.

But okay, lets see how people will move goalposts when the next Elder Scrolls also have loading screens.

Don’t worry, they’re upgrading the engine.

They've been "upgrading the engine" since Oblivion. And that's exactly the problem.

Well but the good part is that it won't have space travel and planets and shit so it might be more in line with skyrim and with faster loadtimes (will probably be on whatever next-gen console xbox is making).

We will see.

"Space travel" and etc. shouldnt even be a big problem. Its all smoke and mirrors. The "planet" is just a static model that you cant even approach. Its just there. Reviewers have been saying thats better to just fast travel from where you are directly to the planet, much faster.

Seems like the game is quite divisive. Figured this would be the outcome very unrealistic to think everyone would like a semi space rpg exploring game lol so far all the reviews tells me one thing if you like a Bethesda game you’re going to either love or like the game but regardless you’ll really enjoy it

PSA if you’re disappointed or mad about a game receiving an 88 across the board you’re pathetic you’re clearly here just to shit on it idc what you thought it was going to be or that the consumers hyped it up an 88 is a very enjoyable game

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Bethesda, Microsoft, Todd and Phil overhyped this game. They had two entire showcases dedicated to it. They really wanted this to be the Resident Evil 4/The Last of Us/Final Fantasy VII of this generation.

Expectations for the game were just as high as Cyberpunk 2077. Sure it's considerably better game, but it did not deliver.

My expectations were in check, I know the types of games they make and the usual flaws that come with them

I actually think they’ll exceed my expectations from what I’ve read on reviews. It sounds like the combat is strong and the campaign is way better than Bethesdas previous works. But I’ve also heard conflicting reports, so I’ll just have to see for myself

StereoVsn

I've watched more of the negative reviews and I think a common thread with its problems is the old janky Gamebryo engine underneath it all.

Bethesda really need to move away from that engine that has its roots in their games from 10 years ago for the next Elder Scrolls. Competing with Larian and what they are doing with BG3's engine is also an unenviable task.
Yeah, the whole thing with boundaries on a planet which you have to get into your ship, fly a few miles down the road, land and repeat is kind of dumb.

Also apparently a lot of loading screens everywhere. So Gamebryo strikes back, lol.

However it allows in depth modding and hoarding 1000 cheeses so that is the trade off.

diffusionx

Gold Member
How do we know how many of those are xbox sites and how many are sony sites???
XboxAddict
GeneracionXbox
SomosXbox
MondoXbox

it's a mystery

Yeah, the whole thing with boundaries on a planet which you have to get into your ship, fly a few miles down the road, land and repeat is kind of dumb.

Also apparently a lot of loading screens everywhere. So Gamebryo strikes back, lol.

However it allows in depth modding and hoarding 1000 cheeses so that is the trade off.
Not adding vehicles really does feel like a missed opportunity, but yea I guess that runs into the Gamebryo limitations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom