• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
nE7qENN.png

Because sometimes you need that big screen experience.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I know that feeling. Just spent two hours trying to work out the controls for The Caves of Qud on the Deck and thats the first of about twenty games from the steam sale.

Should be a good week :messenger_tears_of_joy:
How's CoQ on the Deck? Playable?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Currently playing DQ11 mostly on this thing. I am occasionally playing it on PC while I watch World Cup or to pass time. It's done wonders as usual. I have it basically maxed and capped at 40fps. Best of performance and battery life.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It seems pretty good on it, a perfect fit. I'll just need more time on it to figure out what the hell is going on..

But yes, perfect really.
Nice! If it controls fine and the text is readable I might give it another go on the Deck.

Wsz7cXe.gif

What the hell even is this game! :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Got your ass kicked by a pack of monkeys already or what. :lollipop_content:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've been toying a bit more with Deck and it's always the better machine the more I use it! I have some questions to experts:
-Do I need to update system / getch updates outside of gaming mode? in linux mode? I have no reason to exit gaming mode aside from that
-Are emulators and pirate games hard to get running? Asking for a 8yo nephew who will get the deck this Christmas. He got an office laptop and steam account and plenty of legit games but you know... I am not his parent lol. I assume all of this is done from desktop mode?
-I have a hard time understanding directories as I have 0 linux knowledge. If I want to put games to later add to steam... where do I put them ? Which location is like c: ?
-On windows it is normal to clean temp and so on to save space. Should I care about this here? Or only use storage option in gaming mode to remove games like on a console?
-I want to factory reset the device before Christmas. Is factory reset steam gaming mode offers safe?

Lol I feel like such a noob. This must be how first time pc gamers feel lol
I am going on airplane trip this week so I might.... do some more testing before Christmas if you know what I mean lol.

Topher

Gold Member
This thing kicks ass. Cannot believe it is a handheld.

-Are emulators and pirate games hard to get running? Asking for a 8yo nephew who will get the deck this Christmas. He got an office laptop and steam account and plenty of legit games but you know... I am not his parent lol. I assume all of this is done from desktop mode?

John Candy Reaction GIF

lol....kidding. Here is a great YouTube guide that I was following.......for my nephew. :messenger_beaming:

Topher

Gold Member
I just discovered Heroic Game Launcher. Access to GOG and all those free Epic games I claimed. Fired up Cyberpunk 2077 and lowered the settings all the way down and played on a 4k screen.

Imagine playing Cyberpunk 2077 except for all the characters look like something out of Octopath Traveler.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It’s like an extra large Vita with better controls. I’m anxious to see how Crisis Core Remastered plays. I’ve been playing while sitting next to the Christmas tree.

Topher

Gold Member
This is the cheapest (quality) 512GB microSD I've ever seen in the EU. Perfect for Deck!

512 GB for 50 EUR.

I bought that very one yesterday for $49 at Best Buy here in the US. Back up to $99 today.

AndrewRyan

Totally worth it. I can play Fight Night Round 4 (RPCS3) at a perfect 60fps. Fucking awesome. Not even playable until I did changes from that video.
Been meaning to do exactly this, really miss Fight Night, especially multiplayer. Guessing you can't play online? Thanks for the video will do it soon.

Ripped Persona 2 to a file from my PSP. Still trying to figure out how to get the black bars instead of the desktop background.

fo6Z5vY.jpg

Used this guide:

Why are you emulating in Desktop mode?

Install EmuDeck
Run PPSSPP in Game mode
Go to settings
-Screen to Fullscreen + VSync
-Upscale to 2x, Hybrid and Bicubic
-Graphics to Vulkan, Device to RADV Vangogh, Deposterize on

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Any recommendations for wireless in-ear headphones that work well with games/Deck?

I have Apple AirPods pro but these are paired with my iPhone and I'm too lazy to pair it with Deck every time..

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Any recommendations for wireless in-ear headphones that work well with games/Deck?

I have Apple AirPods pro but these are paired with my iPhone and I'm too lazy to pair it with Deck every time..
Normally I would but the only wireless headphones I use are AirPods & AirPods Max. Anything bluetooth should work, so it would just depend on your budget.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Nah. I play a ton of Indies on my TV using Steam Deck. Looks fine. Some AAA will be rough without tweaking but I even got God of War looking decent on a 4K TV. This little machine is a beast.

My dock was shipped today. I'm playing through Mass Effect trilogy so it will be interesting to see how the third one runs and looks on TV set!

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member

Normally I would but the only wireless headphones I use are AirPods & AirPods Max. Anything bluetooth should work, so it would just depend on your budget.
Just a PSA, and your mileage may vary, but I bought some nice Bluetooth buds specifically for the deck and the level of audio delay was a deal breaker. Extremely noticeable 2+ second audio lag. I did a lot of reading about it and there may be a work around if you download various audio codecs via Desktop Mode on the Deck, but ultimately that was more work than I was willing to do and I still use wired headphones.

Interfectum

Nah. I play a ton of Indies on my TV using Steam Deck. Looks fine. Some AAA will be rough without tweaking but I even got God of War looking decent on a 4K TV. This little machine is a beast.
One cool thing about Steam Deck is I'm playing games on my TV that I'd never normally play. Probably put in 20 hours of Oxygen Not Included on my 4K TV and it looks and plays great using a Dualsense. Crazy how Steam Deck opens up some cool possibilities.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
kSb9tCr.jpg

Maybe it’s my dock but on a 4K OLED if it’s not native it look like ass.

Bankai

I always wonder how and why someone suddenly gets banned. Like OP..

On the subject at hand: I really don't care for the Steamdeck, other than it being a fantastic emulation-station.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm contributing a ton to Persona 5 Royal being in the #2 spot, I play around 1.5-2 hours per night, laying in bed, currently nearing the 3rd castle and loving it! Plays so well on the Deck.

Looking down that list, I can't believe people play RimWorld on the Deck, geez. How do you handle some fucker setting your all-wooden building on fire while at the same time a capsule just crashed down, vomiting forth a bunch of mechs, while at the same time your people are starving!?!

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Interesting how many AAA games have the top spots. Something like Cyberpunk or Elden Ring I would much rather be doing in 4K on my couch or in ultrawide maxed out. On the Deck I've been playing mostly indies I haven't had time or will to play on PC. Tunic, Death's Door, DUSK, Amid Evil, and others. Surprised how well FPS' take to the mouse pads. Didn't expect that when I ordered a Deck.

Its still stupidly cool we finally have a machine that can run RDR2 or Cyberpunk as a handheld. Maybe that's why so many AAAs are on the list.

Top Bottom