• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I am quickly growing accustomed to playing everything on my Deck. The combination of the small screen and close directional audio makes games from even as far back as 2005-ish feel new again. I was playing Final Fantasy 13 and Metal Gear Ground Zeroes and they feel brand new again on the Deck.

Valve really designed a winner here. This is pound for pound the best console created in decades and it's not even really a console, just a little Linux PC.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Well, II am nearing my completion of Spiderman Remastered. I liked the first few hours, hated the next few (thanks research stations), and ultimately came around to enjoying the gameplay. The game does not start to shine until you have more gadgets and whatnot to help break up the monotony of the early game combat.

I've played the entirety of it on Deck. It's been a joy to play while I have this cold.

I've 100%'d the main game and the first 2 DLC. I am on my way to completing the 3rd at 100% today. The only achievements that will remain are the no hit during an enemy base encounter, ultimate difficulty, and the new game+ one. I'll get the base one taken care of and then debate if I want to replay the main campaign again on ultimate.

Here's a quick screenshot of the game running on Deck. It's not exciting but I really loved how the rain effects played out visually on the roof of this car. It doesn't look as cool as a still frame but I didn't really take any other screenshots during my playthrough.

E8L0P6n.jpg

Klosshufvud

Valve didn't choose the CPU cores nor the GPU size. Van Gogh had been in AMD's leaked roadmaps since 2019 IIRC, and it was originally developed with Microsoft to go into a mobile device that Panos Panay apparently cancelled back in late 2020 / early 2021.
That's also why the chip has a bunch of I/Os and a dedicated "Computer Vision & Machine Learning" hardware block (probably for low-power face unlock) that the Deck will probably never use.
It uses Zen2 because it was supposed to release in a device in early 2021, and Zen2 has a 4-core CCX (like the consoles and all Ryzen 3000 models).

The tests that The Phawx made compared a much larger and more power-restricted Rembrandt to Van Gogh that was made for 9W originally, and for gaming the former is bandwidth-limited anyways (similar bandwidth for twice the number of CPU cores).
Regardless, I'd still argue that the power budget is properly balanced and in most cases, you're running into a GPU bottleneck. Phawx did some tests on Steam Deck specifically where he says shutting off cores to prioritize clock speeds did improve performance in a number of games. Emulation is one of the areas where more CPU cores would help but I doubt that is so for most native games. I really doubt that in 30 fps Mafia, the limiting factor is CPU. I could be wrong sure but that would, in my eyes, be due to poor optimization since the game runs 30 fps on Jaguar CPU cores on consoles.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I am quickly growing accustomed to playing everything on my Deck.
It's an amazing device, to the point of me having several new/modern games pending to play of my main PC, but I'd rather just play DOOM wads on the Deck. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The Deck rekindled my love for video games.

Games I've 100%'d on my Deck this year:
- American Fugitive
- Chrono Trigger
- Labyrinth City: Pierre the Maze Detective
- Say No! More
- Session: Skate Sim
- Vampire Survivors
- Voxelgram
- Yoku's Island Express

Games I will probably 100% before end of year on Deck:
- Spiderman Remastered
- Lego Bricktales

Games I will probably pick up by year-end:
- Hohokum
- Honey, I Joined A Cult
- Inscryption
- Stray

calistan

Linux is proving to be a big stumbling block for me on the Deck. Everything is alien, from opening a folder to navigating to the SD card. I just hate it. I've been trying on and off for months to get Emudeck set up nicely, but my Linux ineptitude makes it a complete pain.

One time I dropped in thousands of arcade roms for Mame, and the Steam Rom Manager spent ages filling my Deck with images for non-Mame games. Game Boy stuff, NES stuff, the works.

Uninstalled it and tried again with just 7 random arcade roms for troubleshooting, but it still insists that some of them are on Game Boy. I have Black Tiger 96, whatever that is, but it claims I've got Black and White 2. Konami GT shows up as The Wake: Mourning Father, Mourning Mother, which Google tells me is a super fun indie game for PC.

I got Duckstation working with the one game I wanted on it, but Steam Rom Manager has given me three icons for the same game in my library. Clicking game names in the library doesn't always do anything, so I have to load an emulator first and find the game from there.

Advice, guides, etc, gratefully received. I am very familiar with doing a factory reset on my Deck (another one coming soon, I expect).

Filben

It looks amazing on this small screen, yes. Didn't tune it at all, default settings. It's only running between about 30-35 fps though. Which is odd, because though the game has some really remarkable backdrops throughout, it doesn't feel like a demanding game. Ah well, just happy to be able to play this since my old PS3 slim died ages ago.

Edit: I forgot this launched wee

MikGyH7.jpg
Something's not right on your end. The game launches default with lowest visual settings, solid 60fps. I set the visual preset to highest, restarted the game as it required, and still 60fps. Battery drain is 13W no matter what visual setting.

Check if you have enabled some TDP or GPU clock limits. But even when I limit the CPU to 4W it still hits 60fps (at least in one tested scene), with battery consumption from 13W down to 8.5W. Also setting the GPU clock speed down to 200 and it's still 60fps.

Last edited:

amigastar

Well, II am nearing my completion of Spiderman Remastered. I liked the first few hours, hated the next few (thanks research stations), and ultimately came around to enjoying the gameplay. The game does not start to shine until you have more gadgets and whatnot to help break up the monotony of the early game combat.

I've played the entirety of it on Deck. It's been a joy to play while I have this cold.

I've 100%'d the main game and the first 2 DLC. I am on my way to completing the 3rd at 100% today. The only achievements that will remain are the no hit during an enemy base encounter, ultimate difficulty, and the new game+ one. I'll get the base one taken care of and then debate if I want to replay the main campaign again on ultimate.

Here's a quick screenshot of the game running on Deck. It's not exciting but I really loved how the rain effects played out visually on the roof of this car. It doesn't look as cool as a still frame but I didn't really take any other screenshots during my playthrough.

E8L0P6n.jpg
Why does Spider Man look like Cell Shaded? Is this some kind of Skin? Looks awesome.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Why does Spider Man look like Cell Shaded? Is this some kind of Skin? Looks awesome.
Its a suit unlock. There is another cartoony looking one in game. The cell shaded one in the screenshot is my favorite. It looks cool when you have more realistic character models in frame with it. Reminds me a bit of Mario Odyssey's NYC level.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
100% done on Spider-Man. There are a few 10/10 moments in the game but unfortunately it is bogged down by boring gameplay and a few frustrating mechanics. It bugged me on my first playthrough and became even more frustrating on #2, my streamlined, main-missions-only playthrough: waiting 5-10 minutes before you get a call to advance the plot line. Not being able to skip some cutscenes was also annoying.

I don't know if it was the ultimate difficulty or a hardware issue but for some reason, in some combat situations it would not register any button inputs. I had some issues throughout both playthroughs of getting the finisher combo to work and SM would just hop around like an idiot, but this other issue wasn't as widespread. It would only occur on a select set of missions during the mid & late game. I probably should have restarted it to see if that would fix it. Just annoying and buggy.

Exploration and graphics were solid, just sucks that the gameplay is so rote and dull. 5/10 for me. Enough negatives to keep me away from the sequel(s).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
100% done on Spider-Man. There are a few 10/10 moments in the game but unfortunately it is bogged down by boring gameplay and a few frustrating mechanics. It bugged me on my first playthrough and became even more frustrating on #2, my streamlined, main-missions-only playthrough: waiting 5-10 minutes before you get a call to advance the plot line. Not being able to skip some cutscenes was also annoying.

I don't know if it was the ultimate difficulty or a hardware issue but for some reason, in some combat situations it would not register any button inputs. I had some issues throughout both playthroughs of getting the finisher combo to work and SM would just hop around like an idiot, but this other issue wasn't as widespread. It would only occur on a select set of missions during the mid & late game. I probably should have restarted it to see if that would fix it. Just annoying and buggy.

Exploration and graphics were solid, just sucks that the gameplay is so rote and dull. 5/10 for me. Enough negatives to keep me away from the sequel(s).
This sounds like my experience with the game when I played it on the PS4.

It's one of the reasons I enjoyed the Miles Morales game more than the main Spider-Man one. The story is a lot more focused and isn't as padded out as the first game. There are some optional things, but nowhere near as many and didn't have as much bearing on the game itself. The combat felt a bit better / easier with the Venom powers stuff. The exploration is pretty identical, which is good.

Maybe wait for a discount though, but I'd say don't write it off completely.

Filben

Since either a Windows Update or an Nvidia update botched my multi monitor setup (1440p monitor in the office room, 4k TV in the living room) I can't reliably play in my living room any more on my PC. For some reason I can't get the 120Hz/VRR mode to run anymore; it's just 60Hz or black screen and I don't have the time nor energy to deal with this.

Now, my girlfriend likes to have me around in the same room as her, even when we do completely different things. Sitting on the couch in the same room and playing on the Deck, either by streaming from my local desktop PC or natively on the Deck, is so relaxing. I'm not walled-off, like in the office room, when playing on the PC.

Really REALLY like the Deck.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

00:00 - Introduction
00:10 - Game Engines being Benchmarked
01:05 - Total System Power Comparison
02:10 - Size Comparison
02:46 - Price Comparison
03:33 - Testing Methodology
04:43 - A Note on Customer Support
05:13 - Batman Arkham Knight 800p High Settings
06:51 - Borderlands 3 800p DX12 High Preset
07:51 - Cyberpunk 2077 Steam Deck Preset Medium Texture FSR1 Auto
09:06 - Deus Ex Mankind Divided 800p Ultra DX12
10:00 - Horizon Zero Dawn 800p Favor Performance
10:40 - Mortak Kombat 11 800p Ultra Max Settings
11:47 - Red Dead Redemption 2 800p Balanced Preset Vulkan Backend
12:32 - Shdaow of the Tomb Raider 800p DX12 Lowest Preset NO AA
13:08 - Strange Brigade 800p Ultra Preset Vulkan
13:42 - Conclusion
15:41 - Is The AYANEO 2 For You?

Klosshufvud

Great video as always by Phawx. Steam Deck remains a low wattage king. Its performance over the 6800U UMPCs in the lower wattages is something worth emphasizing because it allows for much longer battery life and quiet fans. I wonder why this is so. Is it a Steam OS thing or a difference between Van Gogh/Rembrant APU configuration or simply Valve trickery at work here?

Surprised that despite its much smaller size, Neo 2 has 25% larger battery. Makes me wonder exactly what caused Deck to become as wide as it is with that fairly sizeable bezel.

Filben

Makes me wonder exactly what caused Deck to become as wide as it is with that fairly sizeable bezel.
I feel like the track pads add significant length in total when you consider two of them. Without them I reckon it could have easily 2-3cm shorter when they put the sticks under the face buttons and d-pad instead. Track pads are brilliant though.

For the Steam Deck 2 I wish they would slim down the display bezel (and OLED tech of course).

Last edited:

Hellmaker

I feel like the track pads add significant length in total when you consider two of them. Without them I reckon it could have easily 2-3cm shorter when they put the sticks under the face buttons and d-pad instead. Track pads are brilliant though.

For the Steam Deck 2 I wish they would slim down the display bezel (and OLED tech of course).
The display should be like you said, but overall I really like the size of it, it's really cosy to hold it for me.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Linux is proving to be a big stumbling block for me on the Deck. Everything is alien, from opening a folder to navigating to the SD card. I just hate it. I've been trying on and off for months to get Emudeck set up nicely, but my Linux ineptitude makes it a complete pain.

One time I dropped in thousands of arcade roms for Mame, and the Steam Rom Manager spent ages filling my Deck with images for non-Mame games. Game Boy stuff, NES stuff, the works.

Uninstalled it and tried again with just 7 random arcade roms for troubleshooting, but it still insists that some of them are on Game Boy. I have Black Tiger 96, whatever that is, but it claims I've got Black and White 2. Konami GT shows up as The Wake: Mourning Father, Mourning Mother, which Google tells me is a super fun indie game for PC.

I got Duckstation working with the one game I wanted on it, but Steam Rom Manager has given me three icons for the same game in my library. Clicking game names in the library doesn't always do anything, so I have to load an emulator first and find the game from there.

Advice, guides, etc, gratefully received. I am very familiar with doing a factory reset on my Deck (another one coming soon, I expect).

Wasn't there another system that's even easier released for emulation? I think it's a whole os install based on Linux, so you just load it on a seperate SD card, super easy, just add roms, no configuration as they made a custom build for the Steam Deck. Ah yes, its called batocera.

Last edited:

calistan

Wasn't there another system that's even easier released for emulation? I think it's a whole os install based on Linux, so you just load it on a seperate SD card, super easy, just add roms, no configuration as they made a custom build for the Steam Deck. Ah yes, its called batocera.
I've heard of that, maybe I'll give it a go. Somebody is porting it to the Taito Egret II Mini console, it looks pretty good on there (although really slow to boot up).

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
From the latest Humble Choice I’ve been dabbling in Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reconing. It runs beautifully on Deck at 60fps, and is a pretty fun game. Never finished it back in the day but I’m going to try to on Deck.

I’ve installed Eldest Souls as well which is verified, but haven’t gotten around to playing it on the Deck yet. From what I’ve played on my PC so far it’s great.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Many helpful commands that, at a quick glance, 90%+ work on just about every distro of Linux:

A brief explanation of disks in Linux:

A rather brief study of the Linux filesystem:

And then you should know that the file system on SteamOS is immutable - in that all the system files and the main system-related folders can't be modified or renamed. Also, I think it's a good to point out that everything is considered a file in Linux, even devices - so even your hard disks are basically just interactable files that are "mapped" to the physical (or in some cases virtual) disks. In other words, your internal drive, any SD card you may insert, will just look like a file to Linux. Thankfully having to understand how to work with disks isn't really needed if you're just doing things like installing apps or configuring an emulator.

Linux is an extremely straightforward and easy OS to use once you grasp the core basics, and in doing so recognize the obvious differences between it and Windows. Until then, yea, I can see how it would seem completely foreign. Hopefully the above helps. After that, learning to install apps or whatever on SteamOS is just a google search away. Good luck!

Last edited:

calistan

Many helpful commands that, at a quick glance, 90%+ work on just about every distro of Linux:

A brief explanation of disks in Linux:

A rather brief study of the Linux filesystem:

And then you should know that the file system on SteamOS is immutable - in that all the system files and the main system-related folders can't be modified or renamed. Also, I think it's a good to point out that everything is considered a file in Linux, even devices - so even your hard disks are basically just interactable files that are "mapped" to the physical (or in some cases virtual) disks. In other words, your internal drive, any SD card you may insert, will just look like a file to Linux. Thankfully having to understand how to work with disks isn't really needed if you're just doing things like installing apps or configuring an emulator.

Linux is an extremely straightforward and easy OS to use once you grasp the core basics, and in doing so recognize the obvious differences between it and Windows. Until then, yea, I can see how it would seem completely foreign. Hopefully the above helps. After that, learning to install apps or whatever on SteamOS is just a google search away. Good luck!
Thank you, that's super helpful. Last time I had a serious go at it, I thought maybe standalone Mame would be the way forward, but it wasn't in the Discover library at that point so I had to try building it from Github... That didn't end well.

My main OS is Mac, and I tolerate Windows out of necessity. I enjoy messing with computers - I've built Hackintoshes, configured kernel extensions, edited Windows registries. Surely I can install a few emulators. I can do this!

(I can't do this)

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Thank you, that's super helpful. Last time I had a serious go at it, I thought maybe standalone Mame would be the way forward, but it wasn't in the Discover library at that point so I had to try building it from Github... That didn't end well.

My main OS is Mac, and I tolerate Windows out of necessity. I enjoy messing with computers - I've built Hackintoshes, configured kernel extensions, edited Windows registries. Surely I can install a few emulators. I can do this!

(I can't do this)

MacOS is built on BSD, which is an old derivative of Linux (or predecessor? I forget). So when you drop to the command line / shell / terminal on MacOS it's similar to Linux. So maybe once you go through the guides and familiarize yourself with things something may click there.

Last edited:

calistan

MacOS is built on BSD, which is an old derivative of Linux (or predecessor? I forget). So when you drop to the command line / shell / terminal on MacOS it's similar to Linux. So maybe once you go through the guides and familiarize yourself with things something may click there.
I suppose every modern OS is essentially a fancy graphical interface on top of an inscrutable command line terminal. But if I want to install an application on Mac I drag it to the apps folder. To uninstall, I drag it to the trash. I think maybe I've been spoiled.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I suppose every modern OS is essentially a fancy graphical interface on top of an inscrutable command line terminal. But if I want to install an application on Mac I drag it to the apps folder. To uninstall, I drag it to the trash. I think maybe I've been spoiled.

SteamOS has a package manager for that and a front-end called "Discover". It should be on your taskbar, middle icon. Just search for what app you want to install, select it from the list, and install. You can also use the bash shell for that, but it's largely not needed and I doubt you're in the mood to learn bash commands for that kind of stuff anyways (if you're interested though it's flatpak. the command flatpak -h will bring up the help menu for it). Don't use pacman if anyone recommends it, as it may alter the immutable nature of the filesystem and cause strange things to happen after an OS update (like total rollbacks upon reboot).

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

A damn glowing review. But everyone here already knew this who has had a Deck. He also touches on the low-TDP advantage of the Deck over Rembrandt which Phawx has so well revealed. It may be the Rembrandt APU simply has too many CPU cores and GPU CUs to feed, which means clock speeds suffer more greatly than on Deck. Rembrandt shines at higher TDPs of 20-30W which makes sense since the chip was originally intended for ultrabooks and not handhelds. Van Gogh's leaner but faster structure is more fitting for handhelds. It's honestly shame that Aya guys and others can't get hold of that SoC. I would have loved to see what they could do with it, with a larger battery and smaller body. Maybe it would have been feasible to have Deck performance but with Aya Neo Air form factor?

Assaulty

I have been absolutely loving my Steam Deck. I've finished some great 360/ early Xbone games I've missed on it, like Warhammer: Space marine, Vanquish, Journey, etc.

I have all these big games lined up to play (these constant steam sales costs me so much money man) like the REmakes, deathloop, Generation Zero, God of War, Horizon, Days Gone, Call of Juarez, etc. but I can't get myself to play them.

Instead, the Steam deck has made me enjoy a genre I used to absolutely dislike: roguelikes. The game that got me hooked was Monster train. Such an amazingly crafted game. Then I tried Vampire Survivors and Brotato (the latter is such good fun on the deck) and now I recently bought slay the spire. I am also running through Coromon atm, which is the best Pokemon game since the DS era games. I am absolutely hooked and I would have never imagined that beeing the case.

Because the new Pokemon is on the Horizon, I dusted off my good old Switch.... And damn does it feel like a toy compared to the steam deck.

TL:DR: The steam deck is quickly growing to become my favorite new gaming system since the xbox 360. I am absolutely loving this thing.

Last edited:

Filben

Question about Steam on Windows/Desktop PC: Valve officially brought the Steam Deck UI to Steam's desktop application via the beta branch a few weeks ago. Unfortunately the old big picture mode still exists and opens up like in the past. For the new UI you have to alter Steam's launch parameter.

Is there a way to switch easily from Desktop mode to the new UI mode like it's possible with Big Picture? I don't want to close Steam and restart with the shortcut, close again to switch back when I want to. Is there no way yet to switch with the click of a button?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

SteamOS 3.4 Preview - Updates to desktop, performance settings, storage and more
Note: This update is for the Steam Deck Preview channel, and includes new features that are still being tested. You can opt into this in Settings > System > Steam Update Channel.
    • Rebased SteamOS on the latest version of Arch Linux
    • This update pulls in the latest performance, security and stability fixes for the underlying packages that are the foundation for SteamOS
    • Most notably, this includes recent changes to KDE Plasma, Steam Deck's Desktop Mode. Full notes on these updates can be found on KDE's website here, here, and here. Here are a few of the highlights:
      • New Overview view to see all open windows and virtual desktops
      • Updates to KRunner, the built in assistant for searching and running tasks
      • New touchscreen gestures
      • New themes and wallpapers
      • Updates to widgets
    • Performance profiles
    • New option to allow Screen Tearing
    • Changed performance HUD level 2 to use a horizontal layout. It fits in the letterbox space for games running in a 16:9 aspect ratio.
    • Storage
    • Re-enabled TRIM for the internal drive as well as supported external storage devices, improving write performance
      • This includes a workaround ensuring that TRIM operations are safe for SD cards that advertise discard support but do not support it
      • Steam will periodically TRIM storage devices as needed
      • New button in Settings → System → Advanced to run trim immediately
    • Added an eject option for removable drives in Settings → Storage
      • This unmounts the removable drive, it does not physically eject it
    • External drives formatted as ext4 are now automatically mounted and available for use in Steam
    • Input
    • Disabled built-in DualShock 4 and DualSense trackpad → mouse emulation when Steam is running
    • Changed timing of virtual keypresses to improve game compatibility with on-screen keyboard
      • Fixes input issues with apps such as Street Fighter V, EA app
    • Fixed Steam Input's action set switching based on cursor visibility in Game mode
    • Re-enabled the built-in gamepad driver when Steam is not running in desktop mode
    • Audio
    • Fixed a case where the default audio device would display "echo-cancel-sink" and audio controls would cease to work correctly
    • Fixed a case where some applications would output audio to the wrong device
    • Fixed an issue with HDMI/DisplayPort audio going to sleep after being idle on external displays
    • General
    • Fixed a performance issue that could cause 100ms hitches during gameplay if adaptive backlight was enabled
    • Fixed issue with opening file managers if the gamescope session has been restarted
    • Fixed issues with sleep / wake for a number of titles
    • Fixed GPU clock settings sometimes not sticking if set manually (thanks to user xperia64 for the amdgpu kernel patch backport)
    • Fixed an issue with fan controller excessive sensor polling causing sporadic fan behavior and higher SSD temps on some NVME drives
    • New firmware for Docking Station
      • Fixes an issue where HDMI 2.0 displays are not detected during wake or boot up
    • Known Issue
      : Chinese Pinyin and Zhuyin input for the on-screen keyboard are not currently functioning correctly - we are aware of the issues and will address in an upcoming update.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

New performance overlay is very cool.

Deck with eGPU? Why not.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Playing Tunic on the Deck is a joyous experience.

I'd held off on this one because I didn't want to sit at my desk while playing it. It's perfect for handheld. Not very far but I'm loving this game so far.

The bright colors pop so nicely I can only imagine it on OLED ...

Edit - dumped a few more hours into it and it's really opening up now. I was worried this was going to be an adept and pretty Zelda clone but that appears not to be the case. Definitely enough of its own thing going on to set it apart. Highly recommend this game.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
My dock arrived today! Way smaller than I expected for some reason. I'm psyched it fits with the charger and some headphones in the cargo area of my case.

This is probably going to be a glorified charging/display stand for a while but once I start setting up emulation it's going to be a godsend I'm sure.

Top Bottom