• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder what Robinhood will IPO at this quarter.
I really do think this single event may have tanked the company in the long run.

They were basically the face of this movement. They had a perfect name for it. Their mission was great. They had a slick app.

Then they just took a massive shit on over half of their exploding user base and lied to them about it in a move that completely betrayed their mission statement.

Even if they really had no choice in the matter, which I don't believe, they completely fucked up how to roll out the changes and communicate them.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Up 120 in doge lolll

To The Moon GIF

ManofOne

Plus Member
Definitely not me. I've only ever done straight bank deposits to stock purchases.
I have briefly, while I was waiting for some funds to settle. Just for a day or two.
I specifically made an account that doesn't allow margin; fuck that noise.

Robinhood raised their maintenance margin on specific stocks i.e the meme stocks GME, AMC, BB rather than doing a blanket wide raise. So it seems the volatility would have force people under the MM and they would have been forced to sell the stock. If the amount owed exceeds the value of shares however, then the trader is on the hook, and Robin hood would be forced to cover those loans that were given to them by liquid providers.

Hopefully people take steps tomm to limit their MMs or not borrow funds at all.

Last edited:

mid83

I wonder what commission free trade platform will end up ahead at the end of this.

Also, while it’s nice to see agreement across the political isle, it is concerning that certain Democrats are using this as an opportunity to push for financial transaction taxes.

I tried to watch AOC on twitch and she fiddled with the camera for like 10 minutes because it was blurry. It looked fine to me and anyway who gives a shit? It's the first time I see this person outside of 4chan memes and it's ridiculous.

haxan7

Banned
I tried to watch AOC on twitch and she fiddled with the camera for like 10 minutes because it was blurry. It looked fine to me and anyway who gives a shit? It's the first time I see this person outside of 4chan memes and it's ridiculous.
Where is this bitch’s young lady’s tech guy

Last edited:

Irobot82

It's working now and she's talking about stuff.

Edit: She has really white and straight teeth. Fuck I need to fix my grill.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
How long would it take to actually create an new stock account with Merrill Edge or TD Ameritrade and then buy one stock of GME just to be part of history?

BigBooper

How long would it take to actually create an new stock account with Merrill Edge or TD Ameritrade and then buy one stock of GME just to be part of history?
Edge would probably take a week. They are slow on settling funds. I saw a lot of recommendations for etrade and Charles Schwabb. No personal opinion on them.

Edit. Oh and Edge restricted trading GME too. They were later than most though. I haven't read their excuse yet.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I wouldve made $300 on Dogecoin had Robinhood allowed me to deposit money into my account earlier today.

What a bunch of motherfuckers. Any other easy to sign up app allows you to buy Dogecoin?

longdi

Banned
Even with all that's happened, and even though this statement is largely true, I still think it's a far better system than the alternatives we've seen.
maybe its good time to strive for benevolent authoritarian who are capable and honest leaders.

but i digress. i hope you guys raze hell with the brokers that got their hands dirty yesterday

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So who gets to trade at night? How comes dogecoin has gone up 700% since closing? Are these milloinares and billionares Bernie is going on about? Professional traders?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So who gets to trade at night? How comes dogecoin has gone up 700% since closing? Are these milloinares and billionares Bernie is going on about? Professional traders?

Crypto currencies just get traded 24/7, don't they? They aren't attached to any physical stock exchange.

greepoman

He is saying a lot of the same things he said earlier but Cuomo is going in on him and calling him on his BS though.
Yeah the part where Cuomo asks him to produce the actual person on behalf of the side that is supposedly imposing these restrictions or requirements he goes white as a ghost for a second and mumbles and doesn't answer the question. In that moment I was convinced that the only "requirement" was someone else ordering him to shut it down.

The big tell is they used some other BS excuse at first when they shut it down. Why not just state from the beginning "in order to meet requirements we are doing X". This is just what they came with after the fact.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
robinhood sold this guy's 4500 shares at the absolute bottom.

UQ3bnd3.png

I saw that earlier today, but assumed it was fake. Still skeptical, but I hope he gets justice if true.

Last edited by a moderator:
dropped some kfc meal money on dogecoin, it's now at 100€ lol; no doubt it's just going to crash again and I don't care much since it's pocketchange, but if this keeps going up, that will be a nice bit of profit lmao.

Last edited:
Just curious how many people use brokers money to trade here?

Only if you count when I initiate a transfer and buy stock right afterwards on Robinhood. The transfer doesn't really go through till a few days later. If anyone has a guide to transferring stock to a different broker please quote me and link the guide. I am primarily a dividend investor, but I think Robinhood may be done and if I don't start trying to get my stocks into a new brokerage I may have to wait awhile to get access to my investments back so I can re-invest.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
robinhood sold this guy's 4500 shares at the absolute bottom.

UQ3bnd3.png
did he got margin called a day earlier and failed to cover it?

no way that's legal in the US to force sell on the same day... just because?

he is not telling the full story!

Last edited:
did he got margin called a day earlier and failed to cover it?

no way that's legal in the US to force sell on the same day... just because?

he is not telling the full story!

I don't think we have the full story on any of these yet, but there was a guy who was going around and talking to people saying Robinhood made them sell, and he said only half of them were on margin, and that the other half said they were not on margin. Maybe they just don't understand that if you deposit funds it takes time for the money to go through and until then you are on margin, but until we have some receipts I will wonder if maybe they are just making people who own GME sell so that the shorts can exit their position.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Of course that's illegal. Still waiting for this stuff to be confirmed. That's like an eBay rep breaking into your house, taking something of yours, listing it and selling it for you at their chosen price without your permission.

They can't just sell stock for you at their desired price, that's incredibly illegal. If this actually happened I would hope they get shut down permanently and sued to oblivion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom