• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

AmuroChan

Gold Member
Just got an email from TD Ameritrade with the subject line: "We're here to support you", followed by a link to their website listing all the restrictions they've placed on various stocks in order to "support" me. You can't make this stuff up.

eeC9aRo.jpg

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I've been out of the crypto game for a while, is Doge coin actually something people are excited about or is this a pump and dump?

It's trending on social media, why do I have the feeling a bunch of people bought it when they don't even know what it is or why it's skyrocketing?

haxan7

Banned
Just got an email from TD Ameritrade with the subject line: "We're here to support you", followed by a link to their website listing all the restrictions they've placed on various stocks in order to "support" me. You can't make this stuff up.

eeC9aRo.jpg
Word on WSB tonight is that the short is a threat that can “take down the whole system”. Not sure how much is fiction and how much is truth, I think it’s a mix of both.

They’re telling us they’re doing it for our own protection but it’s to protect Wall Street.

I think it stems in part from this interview with one of wall street’s big guys.

“We are concerned about the ability of the market and the clearing systems, through the onslaught of orders, to continue to provide liquidity. And we are concerned about the financial viability of intermediaries and the clearing houses,” Peterffy said.

edit: I found the actual article where he says it can take down the system, and “the squeeze can go on forever”. Not sure if it was already posted.

Last edited:
I've been out of the crypto game for a while, is Doge coin actually something people are excited about or is this a pump and dump?

It's trending on social media, why do I have the feeling a bunch of people bought it when they don't even know what it is or why it's skyrocketing?

I put about 7 dollars in Dogecoin cause that money wasn't doing anything in my Robinhood account. I keep asking people that are more excited than me about it what is the use case? There is Ether and Monero that are privacy coins, and I can see why you would use it. There are also other cryptocurrencies that either have low transaction costs, or some other reason why you would want to use it. I'm confused as to why someone would use dogecoin. No one can explain it to me. I've not put in any real money in it cause I have no idea. I could study it, but I have stuff to do.

Bottom line is, the people I've talked to who are investing have no idea. I'm really not sure, but because that money was collecting dust in my account, I decided to go in. I will probably just hold in case it actually gains real value.

finowns

Don’t think too much just buy

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
There's no fucking way in hell WSB subreddit has 5.6m real unique users. I bet at least 80% of those are fake bullshit accounts.

finowns

It's not too late, watch for any big dips tomorrow early. If they try to repeat what happened this morning it could get ugly. but don't listen to me either
I’m going to buy in I got to be part of this. It’s like a patriotic duty at this point.

I’ll buy 1 share in my Webull account and 1 in my rh account. Let’s see what happens

Last edited:

Dunki

Word on WSB tonight is that the short is a threat that can “take down the whole system”. Not sure how much is fiction and how much is truth, I think it’s a mix of both.

They’re telling us they’re doing it for our own protection but it’s to protect Wall Street.

I think it stems in part from this interview with one of wall street’s big guys.

edit: I found the actual article where he says it can take down the system, and “the squeeze can go on forever”. Not sure if it was already posted.

so they basically protect the hedge funds because they can not pay the margin anymore? WHY SHOULD other people care? They played with the life of Millions of People. They are making money with the misery of others. And now they are in misery? Sorry but I do not fucking care.

Also it is your own fucking fault to allow people to speculate with money they do not have in the first place. Stop Margin calls. Only let people buy with their own cash. Problem solved

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
seems like the gme saga is hanging a rope around global stock markets today, we are heading for a correction or another flash crash even! China tightening down liquidity aint helping

wsb did not just take down a few hedge funds now :messenger_fearful:

Dunki

seems like the gme saga is hanging a rope around global stock markets today, we are heading for a correction or another flash crash even! China tightening down liquidity aint helping

wsb did not just take down a few hedge funds now :messenger_fearful:
The funny thing is that these hedgefounds Robinhood etc did escalate it to such a new level. If they think people will now go home scared they never have dealt with the anger of the internet.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Posted this in the other GME thread, but an interesting thread and worth thinking about for the ramifications of investing in other stocks.

So true.

Going on margin on stocks is no different than maxing out a credit card or loan. You're extending yourself beyond what you can pay back, but hope you can pull it off with some luck and a hail mary pass, so you win out and pay back the loan later. And if you get burned, you're fucked with a $50,000 balance you owe and you're currently broke.

The key difference is getting access to money like that takes time, approvals and needing to shift money into a trading account so you can dabble with stocks actually paying for it. With stock accounts, you can mess around on margin right there.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Guy on Sky News business show ‘worried’ that day traders at home in their pyjamas will get burned if buying into this whole GameStop thing.

He doesn’t get it. People don’t care about getting burned for a few hundred anymore, or even a few thousand if they can take it. Rightly or wrongly, this is now all about people seeing just how the ‘free’ market works, and wanting to rail against it.

GIF by Giphy QA

Last edited:

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I've got relatives and friends on social media - people who don't know one bit about investing - now posting and asking about stock tips. Responses are all about GME and penny stock tips from "I know a guy in this next big thing ..."

Now I'm staying the course with what Evilore says - and I have no idea what's going to happen - but I wonder if this is a similar phenomena that occurred in previous bubble run-ups.

This event has pretty much shown the world that the US Stock Market is entirely rigged and it is set up for you to lose in a trade.

Quite crazy how much corruption there is in the system that we tout as the 'free market trading'.

Last edited:
I've got relatives and friends on social media - people who don't know one bit about investing - now posting and asking about stock tips. Responses are all about GME and penny stock tips from "I know a guy in this next big thing ..."

Now I'm staying the course with Evilore says - and I have no idea what's going to happen - but I wonder if this is a similar phenomena that occurred in previous bubble run-ups.

This event has pretty much shown the world that the US Stock Market is entirely rigged and it is set up for you to lose in a trade.

Quite crazy how much corruption there is in the system that we tout as the 'free market trading'.
It's crazy but I would refrain from giving relatives stock advice. That billionaire dude from yesterday was right about one thing. Someone is going to hold the bag and end up in tears when this is all over. Just make sure it isn't you.

Dunki

It's crazy but I would refrain from giving relatives stock advice. That billionaire dude from yesterday was right about one thing. Someone is going to hold the bag and end up in tears when this is all over. Just make sure it isn't you.
just make sure it is the hedgefunds

Jsut buy it too the moon and never let it slide. So even if you fall you fall form heaven to a cloud.

ALSO NEVER speculate with Money you do not own. NO Margin. or in German Leerverkäufe

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
i wonder can the hedge funds just declare bankruptcy and stop the infinite squeeze. if not, more are going into the stock bubble and the real crash is coming

i wonder can the hedge funds just declare bankruptcy and stop the infinite squeeze. if not, more are going into the stock bubble and the real crash is coming

Their investments are insured to the tune of trillions for this type of situation. Making their desperation tactics all the more scummy.

Take your loss on the chin and learn a lesson. They'll make billions more by year's end. But they can't take one loss.

Last edited:

Dunki

Their investments are insured to the tune of trillions for this type of situation. Making their desperation tactics all the more scummy.

Take your loss on the chin and learn a lesson. They'll make billions more by year's end. But they can't take one loss.
I think the problem is that they speculate with all this money and more they do not earn. So they had to sell all their shares and options. Which then would tank their reputation even more. They speculate with Money they do not earn that is the whole problem and NO ONE should be able to do that.

I think the problem is that they speculate with all this money and more they do not earn. So they had to sell all their shares and options. Which then would tank their reputation even more. They speculate with Money they do not earn that is the whole problem and NO ONE should be able to do that.

By take your loss I meant the hedge funds. Not sure if that was clear. But I agree you should be using cash for your investments. Never borrowed/money you don't have.

Last edited:

Dunki

By take your loss I meant the hedge funds. Not sure if that was clear. But I agree you should be using cash for your investments. Never money you don't have.
I was also talking about these hedge funds. Their money is invested they barely have liquidity but speculate with Money they do not earn. Thats why they push harder and harder and their fall to earth will be a disaster.

Ornlu

Banned
Wonder what Robinhood will IPO at this quarter.

I hope when they have their IPO that nobody is allowed to buy in; only sell. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

It's working now and she's talking about stuff.

Edit: She has really white and straight teeth. Fuck I need to fix my grill.

Well she probably has 10x the surface area you do. A serving platter is gonna look a lot whiter than a teacup saucer!

Top Bottom