• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stray |OT| Cyberpussy 2077

Bartski

Gold Member
A really unique and risky idea comes together with gameplay that works better than I expected and fantastic art direction.

Some things to note from my pet peeve checklist - almost zero pop-in, LOD swaps or culling issues. I often go deliberately looking for it in games as an act of self-torture, couldn't find any most of the time.
Some very rare occasions while running at far draw distance and in Midtown, almost totally unnoticeable in regular gameplay as opposed to many recent AAA titles.

Great animation work on the cat and remaining characters. Some expected cut corners, the usual stuff - clipping, some dodgy inverse kinematics and bad collision now and then. For an indie game tho it's all good, overall everything looks really well in motion 95% of the time.

I think the jumping mechanic was 100% the right choice. Shame they were probably short on resources to push more complex scripting and interesting deeper interactions with the robots replacing some of the fetch quests.
Making progress through the quest just causing mayhem by being a cat, the game could use some more of that outside the main path.

Story is quite predictable but does the job and is everything you need to drive exploration which is chef's kiss.

It's nice and short. I beat the game twice, took me 9,5 hours and then a sub 2h speedrun for plat.

Stray is a must-play in the indie/AA library and just another huge win for Sony.

Bloody cat jumps at the screen.

qMRKZ3I.jpg

Such a great OT, mortal mortal !

This game could teach a lot of other games about world storytelling. I love that I have no map or no markers giving me a checklist.

You need 3 soda cans so I can acquire all this gear to progress various side quests? Sure! No idea where they are, but this world is 100% worth exploring WITHOUT traditional handholding game design mechanics.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Made it to the sewers last night before I logged. Could not put it down, and that darn cat is adorable. Such a charming little game, and the unfolding mystery in the story does have my interest.

The art direction is fantastic. On a good TV set, you don't need HDR, since everything is still bright and rich, but man this game would be another level visually with it.

Has anyone tweeted them to ask if they're working on an HDR patch, or have plans for one?

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
This is a great game, absolutely loving my time so far. Gorgeous atmosphere and sound design. Really looking forward to seeing what this team do next.

Edit: I feel sorry for people who are calling this a walking simulator. Sure it’s not a platformer, and you can’t jump all over the place. But you can get to most places and they have nailed the “being a real cat” feeling in my eyes.

It’s an amazing change of pace from FPS, soulslikes, third person action games. I love the variety of being a gamer these days, so spoilt for choice.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Would have liked to play through this with my partner if Sony's online infrastructure wasn't still complete ass in 2022. Can't purchase the appropriate PS+ tier because it errors every time. Nice one. Game looks nice but I'm not paying £25 when I could have a month of everything in Plus for half that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Would have liked to play through this with my partner if Sony's online infrastructure wasn't still complete ass in 2022. Can't purchase the appropriate PS+ tier because it errors every time. Nice one. Game looks nice but I'm not paying £25 when I could have a month of everything in Plus for half that.
Try it on Edge browser or the like. Never once had an issue like this other than it sometimes not playing nice with Brave years ago (which are sometimes browser cert issues), but since then Brave has had no issues.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Try it on Edge browser or the like. Never once had an issue like this other than it sometimes not playing nice with Brave years ago (which are sometimes browser cert issues), but since then Brave has had no issues.

Yeah I've used that workaround for Javascript based issues before but this is deeper, happening on console too. Just this helpful message when I try and get PS+:

4yrv1Gv.png

Will try again tomorrow I guess.

Kataploom

Gold Member
LMAO one of the best OT names ever... We should have an "TNOTY"... "Thread Name Of The Year", some really would put a hard challenge

ShakenG

Can only hope they're working on a Stray2, really enjoyed it. But the whole time, i was only thinking of returning to my buddies.

And while the game didn't have HDR, i thought it looked great. Colours were vibrant and clean.

Last edited:

Hestar69

Amazing game.

Just need to do the speed run later and that's my first plat in foreverrrrr (usually don't care about them)

I'm 1000000000000000000% stray 2 will happen after that ending (we better get a sequel) and I can't wait to play it.

Lunarorbit

game wont download on PS5 even though it says I bought it? any suggestions?

HuPqGV9.jpg

LtqlX0i.jpg
I have that same lamp in my basement. I had another that a friend gave me that my wife hated and sneakily got rid of when we moved once.

We were in target two years ago and I saw it! Two lights with an adjustable setting for brightness? Awesome. She of course balked at it but I got it. No joke, in the time I stood in that aisle where the lamp was 4 others were sold. Two other couples came up and the guys were legit excited to get it and the women were not happy. I ended up just waiting to see how many were going to sell in the 15 minutes I was standing there.

I was transfixed cause every time a customer walked away with the box another would come over and scope out the lamp. I know this is a rambling post but I was blown away by the amount of those lamps that were sold in a small amount of time. It's like men were drawn to it like sirens in odyssey.

Finished it early today, really dug it. I've played so many games that's it's genuinely hard to surprise me and make me feel like I'm experiencing something new or unique but Stray managed to do it, I place a premium on that kind of originality.

The game possesses a natural charm I wasn't quite expecting, the robots' facial expressions and various animations were endearing, dido for the Cat. Visually this game really sings on an OLED TV, the art, the lighting, the environmental detail were all top notch. OST? Will undoubtedly finish as one of the best of 2022.

I don't feel an immediate desire to go for the plat but perhaps I'll revisit it somewhere down the line. A sequel would be welcome, would love to see more environmental interaction and implementation of unique mechanics, expanded action in specific chapters, some sort of visual customization (when I first got the poncho in the slums I thought I'd be able to equip it on my cat lol). Overall a solid adventure, PlayStation+ delivered to it's subscribers, may they continue to do so.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Getting close to the end now I think, very lovely experience.

My cat watches my DualSense very intensely when the cat sleeps in the game and the controller purrs, lol.

solidus12

Finished it a few hours ago; soundtrack was surprisingly good too…

Loved exploring and finding items and interacting with npcs. A solid 8.5/10 for me.

Played Stray, Kena, and F.I.S.T, now I need to play Sifu…

Fox Mulder

Finished it tonight and it was pretty unique and they did a good job leaving questions with the world and lore for a sequel or dlc or whatever. Like what the fuck was the
sewer horror scene
about.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Done, loved it! Very special experience. Took me just under 7 hours being pretty thorough. Only missed a couple of small things, cleaning up the last few trophies now. Gonna do the speedrun one last, which I think will be pretty easy when you know what to do.

Edit: What the fuck, the "sleep for one hour" trophy requires you to sleep for one CONSECUTIVE hour?! I thought it would be cumulative. That's some bullshit. Most of the trophies in this game are fine, but this has zero purpose other than to waste my time (yeah, yeah, trophies are a waste of time in general etc).

Last edited:

TonyK

Finished yesterday, I enjoyed it more than I expected. And game looks a lot better than I expected. Exploring and finding hidden things and secrets was more entertaining than I expected. An unexpected surprise.

Thief1987

Done, loved it! Very special experience. Took me just under 7 hours being pretty thorough. Only missed a couple of small things, cleaning up the last few trophies now. Gonna do the speedrun one last, which I think will be pretty easy when you know what to do.

Edit: What the fuck, the "sleep for one hour" trophy requires you to sleep for one CONSECUTIVE hour?! I thought it would be cumulative. That's some bullshit. Most of the trophies in this game are fine, but this has zero purpose other than to waste my time (yeah, yeah, trophies are a waste of time in general etc).
I just left the game for an hour, but i read that it's a cummulative trophy. It doesn't work for you?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I just left the game for an hour, but i read that it's a cummulative trophy. It doesn't work for you?

Some guides say it's cumulative, others say it has to be consecutive. I ended up leaving it on, and it definitely took about an hour. But I guess I only had a few minutes of total sleep time before that.

Either way, stupid pointless trophy in an otherwise very cool game. "Sleep X times" would have been more reasonable (I did take quite a few naps during my regular playthrough, that's what cats do).

Only one left now is the speedrun trophy. Made an attempt, and of course the game bugged out 45 minutes in lol. A required item just wasn't there (one you find in a box you push off a shelf, so I think it somehow glitched into the wall or something). Oh well, will make another attempt.

Last edited:

Nydius

"Sleep X times" would have been more reasonable (I did take quite a few naps during my regular playthrough, that's what cats do).
Either that or it should have been a trophy for sleeping on the robot's chest, which everyone seems to have done anyway and I think everyone has a screenshot of doing so. :LOL:

buenoblue

Signed up for psplus premium for like £4. Played it over 2 nights really enjoyed it actually. Looks great on ps5 and the atmosphere is great. Made a nice change to have no/minimal combat and easy traversal.

Nydius

For anyone interested in the music/official soundtrack, Disk 2 is nothing but 41 songs by Morusque, the robot musician you help via a side quest in the slums. It has the original versions of the songs you find for him as you initially hear them in game, remixes of them, and other "original" compositions by the robot.

ZAwNYWp.jpg

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
The assumption is that you do since B-12 and Momo puts you on the path.
Such a bittersweet story. Would love a sequel or a spiritual successor.

B-12 and Momo were working with the Rottweiler gang all along. That's the path they put you on. Never trust a robot.

H4ze

Bought it yesterday but had no chance to play it yet, can't wait to get home and dive into it. I own a ginger cat myself, this is purrfect :D

Top Bottom