• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter II: Animated Movie Chun-Li vs Vega, best game to movie scene ever?

So I just watched this film for the first time. I think the Chun-Li and Vega fight was pretty cool but hot damn was this film a mess.

The plot was pretty lame and plodding at most parts. I mean, this is supposed to be a adaptation of Street Fighter 2 but instead of just adapting the tournament plot of the games, they just took the name of the game to heart and made like 90% of the cast of Street Fighter characters just be dudes who have fights on the streets that Bison and his cronies observe from a distance. Plus, they did the dumb thing of putting Guile's and Chun-Li's revenge subplots in the backburner and made Ryu and Ken the main protagonist.

I watched it in its english dub as well. Big mistake. The voice acting was crap and the dialogue was way too juvenile at points. The 90s licensed music was pretty hit-or-miss but I would prefer just music from the games.

Syril

So what was it? Did 80's and 90's anime just have more money pumped into it?

Similar to games back then, there was so much unremarkable crap but a lot of it faded into obscurity or wasn't distributed overseas or just wasn't as known about due to information being less widespread.

Aske

So I just watched this film for the first time. I think the Chun-Li and Vega fight was pretty cool but hot damn was this film a mess.

The plot was pretty lame and plodding at most parts. I mean, this is supposed to be a adaptation of Street Fighter 2 but instead of just adapting the tournament plot of the games, they just took the name of the game to heart and made like 90% of the cast of Street Fighter characters just be dudes who have fights on the streets that Bison and his cronies observe from a distance. Plus, they did the dumb thing of putting Guile's and Chun-Li's revenge subplots in the backburner and made Ryu and Ken the main protagonist.

I watched it in its english dub as well. Big mistake. The voice acting was crap and the dialogue was way too juvenile at points. The 90s licensed music was pretty hit-or-miss but I would prefer just music from the games.

"Ken, what do you see in front of your fist?"

"I see...my fate."

Guitars wail

This movie is about two things: being badass, and getting pumped. We have other Street Fighter movies which focus on Chun-Li and Guile and their quests for revenge. But if you paid attention to the movie, you'd know that we have to put the situation beyond vengeance. Not my words; the words of Chun-Li, agent of Interpol. She'd like Bison herself, because he killed her father.

People like you end up running off to take on Bison half-cocked, and getting Charlied. We won't be training forever, ya know. Someday our lives are gonna depend on this depend on this depend on this.

...I seriously can't deal with the wait for this BD much longer.

Maligna

Banned
"Ken, what do you see in front of your fist?"

"I see...my fate."

Guitars wail

This movie is about two things: being badass, and getting pumped. We have other Street Fighter movies which focus on Chun-Li and Guile and their quests for revenge. But if you paid attention to the movie, you'd know that we have to put the situation beyond vengeance. Not my words; the words of Chun-Li, agent of Interpol. She'd like Bison herself, because he killed her father.

People like you end up running off to take on Bison half-cocked, and getting Charlied. We won't be training forever, ya know. Someday our lives are gonna depend on this depend on this depend on this.

...I seriously can't deal with the wait for this BD much longer.

Haha. Amazing.

I did some digging & found another version of the fight on YouTube (English dub). As it turns out, Vega originally said "You bitch, I'll make you suffer!" rather than "You witch". Not sure why the line was changed, though I'm not sure if the video in the OP is uncensored (it may be, but I mean uncensored in other regards besides language).

That's the version of the dub that I have (bought in the 90s) yet despite being advertised as 'uncensored' had the boob scene removed.

Zee-Row

Banned
I did some digging & found another version of the fight on YouTube (English dub). As it turns out, Vega originally said "You bitch, I'll make you suffer!" rather than "You witch". Not sure why the line was changed, though I'm not sure if the video in the OP is uncensored (it may be, but I mean uncensored in other regards besides language).

At the time it came out on VHS they had a PG-13 and an R-Version. The only difference is that the R-Version had more curse words and blood but the boobies were still censored.

Zee-Row

Banned
SFV_Character_Story_Chun_Li.png

Bengus recreated it beautifully
When i first saw this pic , I thought it was some fan made deviantart. Then I actually got SFV and saw it was from the game. :(

Het_Nkik

I don't remember the context of this scene and I don't care. I am content just imagining Guile standing over someone flexing his bicep for no reason. Probably a remark of american pride mix in there too.

I think he's telling hospitalized-by-Vega Chun-Li that he'll get M. Bison since she's out of commission. Which is still great because he's flexing for a completely unconscious person.

Aske

I think he's telling hospitalized-by-Vega Chun-Li that he'll get M. Bison since she's out of commission. Which is still great because he's flexing for a completely unconscious person.

That's what being an American is all about. Promising unconscious people you'll avenge them while flexing one bicep.

I was gifted a VHS (the original uncensored dubbed version, not the neutered PG13 version) of this by my parents when I was like 8 or 9. They knew I loved street fighter so they thought it'd be an innocent cartoon for kids. I invited my cousin over to watch it together and lo and behold: blood, violence, fbombs and tits. Good thing my parents weren't around when we watched it!

Anyway, this movie had a big impact on my life. Was my gateway to anime and grunge/metal, Alice in Chains in particular.

Aske

Bumping the thread in the hopes the Discotek guys can give us an ETA on the upcoming BD release. I just almost bought the Manga/Kaze UK release because it has similar cover art to the Discotek DVD, and it popped up in my Amazon.ca recommendations (despite being a UK import that won't play on North American machines) like it was the most natural thing in the world. Only $15, so there wasn't even an exhorbitant import price to tip me off.

Even if there's no info on the release date, is there anywhere I can pre-order, so I can ignore Amazon's attempts to trick me?

Some Nobody

Yes he can if he isn't rushed by deadlines
18j18ggb7lpiijpg.jpg

Holy crap. That's Bengus' art? Man, fuck Capcom. Asked dude to turn in a shitton of work and probably gave him all of a couple months. If you were too cheap to do animated scenes you could've at least allotted the proper time (or hired more than one artist) to do this idea better. :p

Ashura

Neo Member
Bumping the thread in the hopes the Discotek guys can give us an ETA on the upcoming BD release. I just almost bought the Manga/Kaze UK release because it has similar cover art to the Discotek DVD, and it popped up in my Amazon.ca recommendations (despite being a UK import that won't play on North American machines) like it was the most natural thing in the world. Only $15, so there wasn't even an exhorbitant import price to tip me off.

Even if there's no info on the release date, is there anywhere I can pre-order, so I can ignore Amazon's attempts to trick me?

Hey Aske,

Unfortunately, my mom passed away on the first of April (yeah...), and so my projects got pushed back while I'm dealing with her estate. I'm starting to pick up things now and move forward, but I don't want to name a date until I'm sure everything is close to finished and things aren't rocky here.

I just finished up the remaster and everything for Darkstalkers, though, so now I can focus specifically on SFII to get it done.

kunonabi

Hey Aske,

Unfortunately, my mom passed away on the first of April (yeah...), and so my projects got pushed back while I'm dealing with her estate. I'm starting to pick up things now and move forward, but I don't want to name a date until I'm sure everything is close to finished and things aren't rocky here.

I just finished up the remaster and everything for Darkstalkers, though, so now I can focus specifically on SFII to get it done.

My condolences I think we can all understand the delay.
Holy shit though, Darkstalkers is getting a remaster?

Hey Aske,

God, what a bump. :(

Really hope things can get better for you personally. Good luck with everything, and all the best.

Blueblur1

Hey Aske,

My condolences to you and your family. Please allow yourself time to get things in order. Much love to you in this difficult time.

Hey Aske,

I'm sorry for your loss. Please don't feel compelled to update us while you work through everything. I've been there.

Masaki_

Hey Aske,

is that you brady?

sorry about your mom, love your work in sg and your silly ui streams

Aske

Hey Aske,

I'm so sorry for your loss. Very best wishes to you and your family. Be well, and take care of yourself.

R-User!

Hey Aske,

My heartfelt condolences. I hope you're able to handle everything and that you're doing ok. :/

If you need an ear, I'd imagine most if not all of us in this thread would lend you just that.

I feel like I can't find the right words... :/

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Aske,

Really sorry to hear that. My heartfelt condolences.

Ashura

Neo Member
is that you brady?

sorry about your mom, love your work in sg and your silly ui streams

Hi, yeah, it's me. Thank you guys for all the well wishes and everything. It's been really rough here and things have been tough. I've gotten moving again on Street Fighter, though (gotta get back to work sometime... and working helps me not dwell on depressing stuff), and I wanted to show you guys a preview of some of the things we're working on...

https://twitter.com/ashuraou/status/727287288443617281
https://twitter.com/ashuraou/status/727699721830158336

(btw, that's my twitter.)

I'll try to post a better link to one of the videos later.

Some bonuses: Vintage Capcom commercials I found while working on SFII-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbOS63vzYQY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQMea5rO2Xo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU9Jl-TPsQ8

The BoF2 one is really cool.

Also, Japanese hype for the Van Damme movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bobhHbPhNqs

Aske

I'm still struck by how surreal the live action Street Fighter movie was. Watching the Japanese trailer just reminded me Kylie was Cammy. Everything about that movie was absolutely nuts. And yes, I know it's not a new observation, but I can't get over it. Same with Ahnold becoming the Govenor of California. These are truths I don't think will ever stop blowing my mind.

Raul Julia was Bison.

Garlador

I'm so excited for this.
EQq4IYE.jpg

SFV's Story Mode may or may not live up to the hype, but at least one SF animated story remains fantastic.

One of them, yes.

But Cage vs Scorpion gets my vote.

This is mine. Something about the way Cage just starts running away full speed in the forest gets my blood pumping every time. Also "Get over here!" and "Come here!" voice just coming from the forest and not even coming from Scorpion.

R-User!

Watching this new DVD for the first time!

Chun Li vs Vega is still so good!

Looking forward to the Blu-Ray, and so appreciative that we will be able to watch it with such great detail.

I love this film...

Will the blu-ray release really be uncensored and uncut this time? The DVDs claim to be uncut and uncensored, but I heard they still cut a few seconds here and there.

Aske

Will the blu-ray release really be uncensored and uncut this time? The DVDs claim to be uncut and uncensored, but I heard they still cut a few seconds here and there.

Yep, it totally will. Those other DVD releases weren't handled by Discotek. This version combines the complete, uncensored Japanese version of the movie with the complete, uncensored English dub. Because (yahoo!) they are some badass motherfuckers.

The Blu-ray will definitely be uncut. The Discotek DVD is already out and properly uncut with various audio options. The previous Manga Entertainment "Uncut, Uncensored, Unleased" DVD was only sort of uncut...if you flipped the disc over and watched it in Japanese it was uncut, but the English-dubbed version was still missing like a minute of footage, mostly snips for pacing reasons.

There are also lots of little extras we'll announce as we get closer to release (which I believe was announced to be sometime in September/October).

MooMilk2929

Personally, I prefer the Ryu/Ken vs M Bison fight scene. It actually inspired the Dramatic mode in the Street Fighter Alpha games which I found to be the most fun way to play them.

Aske

I don't know anything about Otakon, but it hurts my soul that if I was there tomorrow I could buy a copy of the SF2 BD at the Discotek booth. No street date yet, but the discs exist and are in the wild. We're so close, GAF.

My hobby is to slowly peel the shrink-wrap off the BDs I buy. Especially cute little bunnies like the SF2 Animated Movie.

Oh man. This movie. This movie is something special and one could argue all of the big fights in it are contenders for best game-to-movie scene ever.

I BEGGED my Mum to let me grab a copy on VHS when I spotted it in Electronics Boutique as a kid. Took some convincing due to the age rating but she eventually gave in. What I saw when I watched it at home was a freaking game-changer for me and animation.

Movie still looks so great and absolutely sits up there as one of my favourite animated video game adaptations of all time.

Even as I grew older and sought out original language anime, it never (and has never) occurred to me to seek out the original Japanese version. The dub for me is perfect and I need to hear the cheesy lines and rockin' soundtrack exactly as I remember them.

Every time I rewatch I go in expecting the bubble to burst and my inexplicable hype for the movie to die, but as Trucker Bison comes truckin' in and the credits roll, I'm always left satisfied.

And yes, Guile is useless in this movie.

I don't know anything about Otakon, but it hurts my soul that if I was there tomorrow I could buy a copy of the SF2 BD at the Discotek booth. No street date yet, but the discs exist and are in the wild. We're so close, GAF.

My hobby is to slowly peel the shrink-wrap off the BDs I buy. Especially cute little bunnies like the SF2 Animated Movie.

I expect what limited supply there will be will sell out fairly quickly. Maybe someone will post a super-early review, even? Who knows!! In any case, if you can't con a con-goer into picking you up a copy, you might want to keep your ear to the ground for more info on the release this weekend while you sit tight for a bit longer.

(Nice reference, BTW)

For years people have been hating on Ryu because he did a scrubby wake up DP. But what they should have realized is that you can't safe jump Ryu's 3f DP. Sagat had to find out the hard way.

Of course, this is a Street Fighter 1 Dragon Punch, so it does a ~33% health bar hit anyway. Kind of a miracle he even pulled it off at such a critical moment like that, given how unresponsive he was back then. ;)

Oh man. This movie. This movie is something special and one could argue all of the big fights in it are contenders for best game-to-movie scene ever.

I BEGGED my Mum to let me grab a copy on VHS when I spotted it in Electronics Boutique as a kid. Took some convincing due to the age rating but she eventually gave in. What I saw when I watched it at home was a freaking game-changer for me and animation.

Did you get the R or PG-13 version? I thought most parents wouldn't think twice about getting a PG-13 movie for their kids.

Top Bottom