• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter II: Animated Movie Chun-Li vs Vega, best game to movie scene ever?

Syril

I was curious so looked up the director, Gisaburo Sugii, and wow, he's been working in animation starting on Astro Boy. Most recently in 2012 he directed The Life of Gusko Budori, which is an adaptiation from the same author as Night on the Galactic Railroad (which he also directed the anime movie of).

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
lol if you didn't watch this dubbed. When Ultra by KMFDM comes shit just gets amazing.

Ken also nearly killing himself and his wife while driving down the highway nearly hitting the Capcom truck to Them Bones is also a highlight.

I don't even care if it's in mono, I need a fully uncut dub with rock track.

Make it region free, let me have it!

The quality looks amazing in the previews, the final fight seems to clear though, weather wise. I think the poor quality helped the story effect, darken it up ;)

OmegaDL50

This was my stuff growing up.

I watched a ton of the MANGA produced stuff on VHS and eventually picked up the DVDs.

Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie, Fatal Fury 1 and 2 OAV's plus the motion picture, Ninja Scroll, and the original Ghost in the Shell.

If it was produced by MANGA, I probably seen it at one point.

Outside of Trigun, Berserk, Cowboy Bepop, and arguably Outlaw Star, I haven't seen an Anime compare in the past 8 years or so.

Dahbomb

This is my guilty pleasure and as a kid I must have seen the fight scenes dozens of times.

The fight scenes still hold up as among the best in the genre. They had a very realistic sense of weight and choreography.

I wish they still made anime like this. No Mor bullshit, dudes swearing when a girl is around and getting nose bleeds, no overactive yelling when someone is embarrassed. This movie was amazing even if the plot was non sense. It has some of the best fight choreography I've ever seen. There is so much detail on every shot and the cinematography is extremely interesting. Like the fight with sagar, constantly placing the camera behind him and at his feet conveys how big he is.

This really was an absolutely fantastic movie that took its source material seriously even if some of the stuff in the source material was silly as hell.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Watching Ryu body Fei is still just as cool now as it was back then. Ryu's tastu juggled too. Must have been a rom hack.

Garlador

Seriously, that move was fantastic. Somehow more impressive than a fireball.

tumblr_nt9ui5b7cM1uazugyo1_500.gif

Every bloody time, it gets me.

I think what really sells it is Vega's reaction. Like, he can't believe she's picking that thing up... You can see the wheels in his head turning. "Wait, she's not supposed to be able to do that! This isn't supposed to be how things happen! This was supposed to be an easy hit! How is she - *SLAM*"

entremet

Watching Ryu body Fei is still just as cool now as it was back then. Ryu's tastu juggled too. Must have been a rom hack.
It is based on the hyper fighting variation. The single strike tatsu started in Super SF2, as the shotos started getting different properties.

PureYeti

When I was little I didn't know he broke his shoulder, I thought he tripped him hard. Ouch

I will definitely check out the Blu Ray release. I hope you can use the dub with Japanese soundtrack and the Japanese voices with American soundtrack.

Moraizen

When I was little I didn't know he broke his shoulder, I thought he tripped him hard. Ouch

I will definitely check out the Blu Ray release. I hope you can use the dub with Japanese soundtrack and the Japanese voices with American soundtrack.

Sorry to rain on your parade, I asked that very same question in this thread and one of the responsables for the upcoming Blu-Ray version confirmed it won't be possible, there are no separate voice tracks for the japanese voices available, so Japanese dub + American soundtrack is a no-go.

Clawww

I wish they still made anime like this. No Mor bullshit, dudes swearing when a girl is around and getting nose bleeds, no overactive yelling when someone is embarrassed. This movie was amazing even if the plot was non sense. It has some of the best fight choreography I've ever seen. There is so much detail on every shot and the cinematography is extremely interesting. Like the fight with sagar, constantly placing the camera behind him and at his feet conveys how big he is.

This really was an absolutely fantastic movie that took its source material seriously even if some of the stuff in the source material was silly as hell.

the whole thing has no right to be as good as it does

I've always loved the U.S. audio, too, the whole soundtrack is full of good tracks

J-Skee

What are the best fighting game anime?

Only seen SFII MOVIE.

I'm not mad at the Tekken anime. Avoid Battle Arena Toshiden. And it's not based on a fighting game, but Ninja Scroll is fucking excellent. And I haven't watched it in years, but I loved Red Hawk. Shadow Skill too.

The Darkstalkers anime is another favorite of mine. The story pretty much sucks but I love this animation team. It is the same style as street fighter. Some badass darkstalker fight scenes!

Scotia

Banned
Apologies for the bump, but I got this on blu-ray recently and I'm watching it now. Having never watched it before, I must say this is a fantastic animated film. The animation is fantastic and the fight scenes kick ass. Watching it makes me wish they made a film based on SF3.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Apologies for the bump, but I got this on blu-ray recently and I'm watching it now. Having never watched it before, I must say this is a fantastic animated film. The animation is fantastic and the fight scenes kick ass. Watching it makes me wish they made a film based on SF3.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Capcom will get a competent director and animation house to make an SFV anime that comes close. Not holding my breath for that but you never know.

Are the Alpha movies or the TV series any good? How bout the bonuses they included with the SFIV release?

Alpha movie is good fun. Has some great scenes, this whole sequence is fantastic...yes it's the whole movie too, may as well just watch it.

Can't speak for Alpha Generations.

SFIV movies are OK, they're tie-ins more than anything, not too meaty themselves.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I have this on VHS still, that scene was great.

I just rewatched this tonight. Somehow as a kid the fairly blatant homoeroticism between Ken and Ryu went over my head. It's hilariously endearing.

I love the music (GIVE IT TO ME!) thats for sure. I feel like Fatal Fury OVA/movies had some top notch choreo to compete with em but I'm not about to go searching for them lol.

My blokes and I actually did a commentary podcast over SF II the movie a week ago for an anime podcast we babble and ramble like fools every so often if any are interested in some nineties goodness.

I just rewatched this tonight. Somehow as a kid the fairly blatant homoeroticism between Ken and Ryu went over my head. It's hilariously endearing.
I never really saw it in the movie. It's off the charts in the Street Fighter II V series though. From Ken asking Ryu to get naked and jump in his pool to Ryu getting all flustered when Ken is hitting on chicks.

Aske

My blokes and I actually did a commentary podcast over SF II the movie a week ago for an anime podcast we babble and ramble like fools every so often if any are interested in some nineties goodness.

Listened to the first few minutes, and you guys seem to have great chemistry. I'm going to save this for after I watch the new Blu-ray. I've seen the movie dozens of times, but I still want to be as fresh as possible when I watch the new release. I'd like Bison myself because he killed my father...but my duty as an agent comes before personal feelings.

I personally liked Alpha Generations, but the live action Assassin's Fist movie blows it out of the water.

Assassin's Fist is unbelievably good. It's no Street Fighter: The Animated Movie, but it's the next best thing in my opinion. I didn't care for any of the other SF animated things; they were all bitterly disappointing.

I wonder if we'll get anything interesting inspired by SFV? Still waiting for my copy to arrive from Amazon. I don't love massive delays or having the game on disc rather than digital, but I do love getting it for $47 Canadian.

Assassin's Fist is unbelievably good. It's no Street Fighter: The Animated Movie, but it's the next best thing in my opinion. I didn't care for any of the other SF animated things; they were all bitterly disappointing.

I wonder if we'll get anything interesting inspired by SFV? Still waiting for my copy to arrive from Amazon. I don't love massive delays or having the game on disc rather than digital, but I do love getting it for $47 Canadian.

The Assassin's Fist team will release an SFV tie-in web series next month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP8W-ezRwzk

RAIDEN1

Decided to re-watch the whole movie again, which apparently is the uncut version on putlocker....from what I saw of the original Fatal Fury movie, I don't think it can even compete with SF2...hence I haven't bothered watching the whole of F-Fury...

Feeroper

So I never saw this movie back in the day, but would really like to now.

I will pick up that BD release but it is still a bit away.

Did anyone pick up the Discotek DVD version they released last December? I can find it on Amazon right now and am tempted to get it and if I like it Ill upgrade to BD when it is out, but Id love to see this movie ASAP (and not on you tube).

So can anyone confirm if the DVD released from Discotek in December has the uncut full movie with the uncut US audio that was getting talked about earlier in this thread?

What more will be in the BD release that isn't on the Discotek DVD release? anything regarding the video or audio cut? or does the current DVD release contain the most uncut version as well?

Thanks!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Decided to re-watch the whole movie again, which apparently is the uncut version on putlocker....from what I saw of the original Fatal Fury movie, I don't think it can even compete with SF2...hence I haven't bothered watching the whole of F-Fury...

::searches "putlocker"::

Erm, don't think this sort of thing is allowed.

Top Bottom